• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AI: (Get Well Soon Bero!)

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Originally Posted by Brawlshifter:

With custom PSAs and sometime soon model injecting, we don't want our new characters running around like idiots missing every move they use and throwing Smart Bombs at themselves, do we? I think not, and so I figured I'd look into AI in more depth than I think has been done before and find out what does what in the MiscData[0] files. There are many things this can be useful for, I'll use some already made PSAs for example:

I'll start with Eldiran's Zero. Now, I haven't played the Megaman games, so I don't know how he acts in the game, but I noticed Eldiran lowered his jump height and upped his gravity. I've seen that something in AI affects how high the character will try to jump, so if we knew what that was we could increase it just enough so that he will actually try to make it to where he is jumping to.

Next I'll use Shadics Geno for an example. Shadic completely took away Geno's sword, so that generally means his attack range is decreased. I noticed AI contains something that tells the character how far away he can be and still hit the enemy, so if we could decrease that just a bit Geno would have a better chance of hitting someone. So on and so forth.

So, I will continue to do testing and find out what offsets do what in the AI files, but I can't do it all myself. There is far too much for just myself to test, so I ask that others can look into other characters and offsets and help me find out what specific parts do, that way I can archive them and we can actually use them for something. I understand that most likely the only people who read through this whole thing are programmers and coders such as Dantarion and Eldiran, and I hope that I can get the help of people like you, who really know what they are doing, (no offense to anyone else) and perhaps some time in the future some programmer *cough*Dantarion*cough*SqLeon*cough* can make some type of program or at least a part of something *cough*OpenSA2*cough* that can read these files so that we can easily edit them without the hassle of hexing.

So please, help me out here! All tests will go in post #3 and all projects will go in post #5. Everyone, if you want to help, please tell me every single detailed step you took in a test (that means each offset that you edited and what you edited with, etc.) and what all of the results were exactly, and I'll add your test to the 3rd post. Please don't leave out any details, we need all the info we can get.
I have agreed to take ownership of this thread because I'm as intrigued as anyone to get as much knowledge on the AI as I can. While Brawlshifter has been looking into the AI for PSA purposes, I want to look at the computer's behavior in vBrawl and figure out how we can change it somehow. I'm going to overhaul this as much as I can to reflect my purposes, but my hacking knowledge in general is really limited, so I would greatly appreciate it if other people can help me out on this. I'll explain what I've done so far:

While previous tests and projects have been associated with Ike, who has three MiscData files, my testing has been solely with Ganondorf, who has two MiscData files. In addition to the MiscData files that are specialized for each character, there are also four MiscData files (located in the fighter.pac) that illustrate general CPU behavior. For example, when I replaced the data in Ganon's specific MiscData files, the CPU still does specific actions such as air dodge after it gets hit and taunts when the player gets killed. There's potentially other actions that can be controlled with this as well, but knowing what will take loads of effort. I have so many questions that we can help solve, and I hope people are willing to help make this a success!

I will update the OP with all the new information once something is released. It is up to the developers when they release anything, so be patient and give them our best wishes.

Clai

Smash Lord
BrawlShifter's Tests:

Note: All tests (by me) are in vBrawl, on Ike, and are at difficulty level 3 unless otherwise noted.

Test #1:
I opened up all three of Ike's AI files in a hex editor and filled them all with zeros. In-game, Ike was completely and totally ********. He would run in random directions and turn and run again somewhere else, attack thin air, Taunt for no reason, jump to try and reach a platform and not even come close to making it, never even once double jump, fall in water and never jump high enough to get out, etc. Test Passed.

If anyone wants to see Ike acting like a dumb***, here's the file.

Test #2:
I filled everything in the first MiscData[0] from offset 0x0000039D down with F's, and in-game he always stood perfectly still, but the exact frame when I would go to his backside he would instantly turn, no matter what happened he would always look at me. Also, as soon as an item came into his reach he would instantly grab it and throw it up into the air, always into the air, never forward, even with Smart Bombs, which he blew himself up with a few times. Test Passed.

Test #3:
I filled all MiscData[0]'s with FF's, and, well, it turns out there is credit to the saying "Too smart for your own good." Game crashed. Test Failed.

Now that I think of it, it could have been a file size limit, but it still failed.

Test #4:
Not exactly a test, but Ike, Captain Falcon, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Falco, Fox, Game & Watch, Kirby, Link, Lucario, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Meta Knight, Ness, Peach, Pikachu, Olimar, Pit, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Popo, Nana, Jigglypuff, ROB, Samus, Shiek, Snake, Sonic, ZSS, Toon Link, Wario Man, Wolf, Yoshi, and Zelda have three MiscData[0]s of AI, Ganondorf and Wario have two, Pokemon Trainer has one, and Bowser, Giga Bowser, and the Alloys have none, which is strange. Do they get it from an external file such as a Common pac or a .rel, or what? The Common.pac contains Zelda, Shiek, ZSS, and Samus, the Common4.pac contains Kirby and Ivysaur...also Bowser's and GBowser's animations, and the Common5.pac contains Charizard and Squirtle. Thanks for clearing that up, Dantarion.

Dantarion's Tests:

Test #1:
I went to training with Marios.
Set 3 Mario's to evade.

Stood at the edge, and did these things.

1. Stood facing away, observed. The CPU's seem to move close up to a certain point, then either move away, or roll a random direction. They also roll when they are far away. If they roll towards mario, past the "certain point" they quickly get away.

2. Stood facing towards. No noticable changed from #1

3. Spammed Fsmash. The bots shield and spotdodge sometimes, even far outside the range of fsmash. One thing to note is that the bots jumped and rolled behind me to get out of the "fsmash range box"

4. Spammed Jab1. However, in the ATKD file, I gave jab1 a ridiculous X range, with the goal of making the AI react to it really far away. It worked. The AI attempts to shield the jab from across the stage, even though the hitbox doesn't reach there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfD12ckT1rU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfD12ckT1rU

Clai's Tests:

All tests here will be done in normal Brawl on a Level 9 Ganondorf. No items will be used unless on request. I will be using Fox to test the CPU's shielding ability.

Test #1:
Repeated Test 2 from Brawlshifter's experiment to see how it would change if using a character that only has 2 MiscData files instead of 3. I filled everything in the first MiscData[0] with FF's, and in-game he always stood perfectly still, but when I shot lasers at the CPU he would roll or jump to avoid the lasers. Rarely, if at all did the CPU attempt to perfect shield the lasers. The CPU seemed to do a good job perfect shielding jabs, and he seemed to be able to avoid grabs on reaction most of the time, but other attacks would hit him without too much attempts to defend itself.

Later, I tested different values in the first MiscData file to see how the CPU would respond. Replacing the FF's with AA's and DD's froze the game, while EE's didn't freeze the game, but the CPU would run around avoiding the player instead of standing still. The CPU did not shield as much with the EE data as the FF data.

Test #2:
I filled Ganon's second MiscData file with FF's, and the result was nearly the complete opposite of the first test. Ganon would rush toward me, use more fast-falling aerials than I remember normal CPU's doing, and once it walked off the stage and attempted to reverse Warlock Punch me (?). I think it's safe to say that the first MiscData file is primarily associated with defensive play, and the second file is geared more toward offense.

Test #3:
I filled all MiscData[0]'s with FF's, and, the game didn't freeze, but if anything, the CPU performed worse than in Test #1.

Test #4
This time I only replaced the 00's in AI Ganon's Data with FF's. The game froze when Fox threw Ganon offstage, but before that the CPU looked promising with its defensive play. I'm going to test this further and see if this test was just an anomaly or if something in the data freezes the game.

Test #5
Started to mess around with the ai_common files in common3.pac. Started by replacing the entire data file in each MiscData file with FF's to see what happens.

The first MiscData[0] file and the MiscData[1] file don't appear to have many differences, if any at all, between them. The behavior I did notice, though, is that when the player grabs the edge and holds on, the CPU teeters on the edge for a bit before walking off and killing itself. Otherwise, the CPU doesn't attack often (read: almost none) but likes running and jumping around and doing other weird things like rapid crouching and dash-dancing. The CPU would not recover after being sent offstage. This was confirmed with multiple characters.

When I changed all the data in the second MiscData[0] file, the CPU acts very much like a typical unchanged CPU. If there was anything I noticed, it was that the CPU may have been a bit more cautious when sent off stage and trying to recover. I tested this with Yoshi, and the CPU appeared to wait until it was at the proper distance from the ledge before using its mid-air jump. Of course, this is just theory, but obivously something to look into.

More tests from me to come.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a programmer and wouldn't know how to help with this, but I did read the whole thing. It's a very interested read! I wish you much luck with this, and at the very least I'm going to watch the progress and see what interesting things can be learned from doing this.

If people think that's a wall of text then the internet's getting lazier and lazier. o_O

Clai

Smash Lord
Projects and Questions

Projects

Here are some projects that I am going to try and test:

1) Testing each of the MiscData files in Fighter.pac. What catches my eye is that the second MiscData file (called MiscData[1]) is much smaller than the other three files. I willl see what each of these files do.

2) Instead of trying FF's, I will try other values to see how they affect the AI (why did they try FF in the first place?).

Questions

1) I've found from the PSA thread that certain hex values lead to certain actions. Can we use that to somehow alter the CPU's AI? Can we make sense out of these numbers?

2) Is there a way that we can remove the auto-airdodge after the CPU gets hit and perhaps get the CPU to momentum cancel?

3) This is my own personal goal- can we find a way for the CPU to perfect shield every attack on the ground? It would be awesome to see just how much you can punish out of shield if you can hone your reflexes to perfect shield as much as possible.

SqLeon

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a programmer and wouldn't know how to help with this, but I did read the whole thing. It's a very interested read! I wish you much luck with this, and at the very least I'm going to watch the progress and see what interesting things can be learned from doing this.

If people think that's a wall of text then the internet's getting lazier than and lazier. o_O
Then I must be lazy. But I still read it. I want a cookie.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
In my second test I filled everything in the first MiscData[0] from offset 0x0000039D down with F's, and in-game he always stood perfectly still, but the exact frame when I would go to his backside he would instantly turn, no matter what happened he would always look at me.
Super Street Fighter Brawl? >_> Heh...

I don't really know how to help with this at all, but modifying and improving AI is always a good goal.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Or, more accurately, Super MUGEN Brawl, due to custom SFX/Textures/Models/Music etc. Seems like something good to look into.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Very interesting topic. I'd love to see alterable AI -- mayhaps someday we can even make Brawl's normal (non-Luigi) AI not suck :p

I was all excited to help, until the last paragraph D: GL with it all.
Truth be told, at this point in the game, just trial and error is what we need right now. If you know how to use BrawlBox or a hex editor to replace certain chunks of the AI and then observe the results, you can easily contribute.

For example, I think AI is divided into 3 MiscDatas? I'm curious what changes we'd observe if we, say, took Link and swapped his MiscData[3] with some other characters. Would he calculate range wrong? Or perhaps he'd misunderstand how his special moves work? Or maybe it'll crash the game?

This is the kind of stuff we need (at least, until someone like Dant or Kryal (or PW) takes a very deep look at the hex itself). At the very least it'll still be useful.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
I was all excited to help, until the last paragraph D: GL with it all.
Anyone can help, I was just saying that I especially wanted their help. As Eldiran said, as long as you know how to use a hex editor, you can be an enormous help. I just need people with a fair amount of time on their hands for this.

Truth be told, at this point in the game, just trial and error is what we need right now. If you know how to use BrawlBox or a hex editor to replace certain chunks of the AI and then observe the results, you can easily contribute.

For example, I think AI is divided into 3 MiscDatas? I'm curious what changes we'd observe if we, say, took Link and swapped his MiscData[3] with some other characters. Would he calculate range wrong? Or perhaps he'd misunderstand how his special moves work? Or maybe it'll crash the game?

This is the kind of stuff we need (at least, until someone like Dant or Kryal (or PW) takes a very deep look at the hex itself). At the very least it'll still be useful.
It is fairly difficult to observe the results of something when you only change a small chunk of hex, which is a problem with this. It is actually a little easier to fill everything with 0's, observe the character, and then add things to that.

Yes, AI is separated into 3 MiscData[0] files. Just some specific information, the second one contains attack range and jump start:

Also notice what I circled in blue (and nice circle drawing skillz I have), that might be interesting. If he did swap this with someone elses, he probably would calculate range wrong. He also might misunderstand his special moves, but I doubt it (or any of this) will crash the game. I think it would have already crashed by now with my tests, but you also swapped Zero's with Diddy Kong's, so it would have crashed then too. I'll be doing a lot more testing tomorrow. I hope you'll stay in this and help.

I hope Dantarion takes a look at this. I think PW is too busy, and Kryal pretty much only stays with BrawlBox. Once we figure out how to edit these more easily, I'll ask Kryal if he can integrate it into BrawlBox.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
well heres the thing. I have about 2 weeks with absolutely NOTHING to do. So the time thing is no issue.

Like srsly nothing. I could do 7am-2am worth of work each day for 2 weeks straight o.o ( i'm in the hospital so all i do is lay around all day and watch t.v)

I just recently got a laptop that can actualy run brawlbox, but unfourtunatly i can't connect to the wireless internet on it, so my dad is bringing his laptop that i can use here.

Heres the big problem though D: I don't really know anything about hex or even brawbox yet. but heres what i'm thinking, week 1: become a pro at evrything :D week 2: if you guys still need testers n stuff i can do that.

jk about the pro thing, but i will become decently educated on all brawl hacks and stuff and will try to contribute to the community as soon as possible.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
well heres the thing. I have about 2 weeks with absolutely NOTHING to do. So the time thing is no issue.

Like srsly nothing. I could do 7am-2am worth of work each day for 2 weeks straight o.o ( i'm in the hospital so all i do is lay around all day and watch t.v)

I just recently got a laptop that can actualy run brawlbox, but unfourtunatly i can't connect to the wireless internet on it, so my dad is bringing his laptop that i can use here.

Heres the big problem though D: I don't really know anything about hex or even brawbox yet. but heres what i'm thinking, week 1: become a pro at evrything :D week 2: if you guys still need testers n stuff i can do that.

jk about the pro thing, but i will become decently educated on all brawl hacks and stuff and will try to contribute to the community as soon as possible.
Sounds good.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
What I've found is that the PSA'd characters can usually learn how to use their movesets, at least to an extent. Zero sure figured his out pretty **** fast (though he just randomly pulls out and puts up his shield, not quite sure what to do with it).
I've noticed that characters can't adapt to certain moves, though. In particular, replacing a charge move with a non-charge move is a big problem.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
What I've found is that the PSA'd characters can usually learn how to use their movesets, at least to an extent. Zero sure figured his out pretty **** fast (though he just randomly pulls out and puts up his shield, not quite sure what to do with it).
I've noticed that characters can't adapt to certain moves, though. In particular, replacing a charge move with a non-charge move is a big problem.
I've noticed the same things. That is why this will be useful, we won't be changing everything, just everything that makes a character a ******.

humble

Smash Ace
I've noticed the same things. That is why this will be useful, we won't be changing everything, just everything that makes a character a ******.
Well if its possible I don't see why you wouldn't change it to be smarter and better as well, so the CPU isn't always so **** ezpz.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
I think that what you should focus on is making their DI, SDI, momtntum canceling, and recovery less predictable. IMO, those are the things that really make them weak. Another thing that they need is to use throws properly. They seem to randomly pick a throw when they grab you instead of using the best one for the situation. It would be great if you could find ways to put ATs like DACUS into their programming.

I really hope that you succeed in this. Good luck.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Test #1:
I opened up all three of Ike's AI files in a hex editor and filled them all with zeros. In-game, Ike was completely and totally ********. He would run in random directions and turn and run again somewhere else, attack thin air, Taunt for no reason, jump to try and reach a platform and not even come close to making it, never even once double jump, fall in water and never jump high enough to get out, etc.
This sounds hysterical. Please tell me you kept those test files. I would dearly love to play a match against ****** Ike and watch him warn me to PREPARE MYSELF right before he jumps off the stage to his death.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
This sounds hysterical. Please tell me you kept those test files. I would dearly love to play a match against ****** Ike and watch him warn me to PREPARE MYSELF right before he jumps off the stage to his death.
I didn't keep them, but I can make them again in a second. You could too, if you want. All I did was fill all three MiscData[0]s with 0's. I'll upload the MotionEtc. Test #2 is also a pretty funny sight.

EDIT: Here.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Your ******** Ike AI is absolutely hilarious.
I can help out, I got brawlbox and a hex editor. Because I don't like Ike very much, I'll go see what happens when I go screw with his AI files, and then I'll post the results here.

And yea, Seems like CPU's can learn PSA'd moves to some extent. They seem to know exactly when an attack ends so they can string moves together like crazy. Also, they seem to able to sense hitboxes and their sizes.

ChuteTheMessenger

Yo, I tried out your ******** ike motionetc, I think you uploaded the wrong one. This one isn't the one with all 00's, it's the one with all FF's. I checked it in XVI32 (my hex editor) a minute ago.

And here's more description on it:

Ike turned to face me the moment I went behind him, yes. He did absoulutely nothing, just stayed still. However, right when I attacked him, he perfect-shielded my attack, grabbed me, and then threw me. I tried attacking him a few more times, Half of the time, he just spot dodged or perfect shielded. The other half, he retaliated with a smash or a grab. When I did hit him, he flew offstage and just plummeted to his doom.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
The levels of AI. 1-9.
Its probably something in the mechanics of the game itself that controls that, not AI. That's my guess, at least.

Yo, I tried out your ******** ike motionetc, I think you uploaded the wrong one. This one isn't the one with all 00's, it's the one with all FF's. I checked it in XVI32 (my hex editor) a minute ago.

And here's more description on it:

Ike turned to face me the moment I went behind him, yes. He did absoulutely nothing, just stayed still. However, right when I attacked him, he perfect-shielded my attack, grabbed me, and then threw me. I tried attacking him a few more times, Half of the time, he just spot dodged or perfect shielded. The other half, he retaliated with a smash or a grab. When I did hit him, he flew offstage and just plummeted to his doom.
I haven't made on with all FF's yet, and I made that one right before I uploaded it. I'll check it.

EDIT: They're all 00's.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
Updated with a new test. Check the results in post #3.

Does anyone want to help out in this at all? Or, rephrased, will people help me at all? I would really appreciate it. I would also like help by people testing other characters and finding out if they are any different.

Sorry for DP, I just needed to get peoples attention.

ChuteTheMessenger

Updated with a new test. Check the results in post #3.

Does anyone want to help out in this at all? Or, rephrased, will people help me at all? I would really appreciate it. I would also like help by people testing other characters and finding out if they are any different.

Sorry for DP, I just needed to get peoples attention.
I will. I'll put up the results of my tests later. I'll go try what happens when only the first, second, or third file is filled with 00's, and other values.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Sounds cool. Hopefully with a future where Brawl Ai learn stratgeies and ATs and become unbeatable....or make it so Balance Brawl Ike realizes he can recover with quick draw and aether

Dchen

Smash Rookie
I am unsure if you are aware of this...but there is a file called ai_common located within fighter.pac which is in the fighter folder of the ISO, and also located in common3....I haven't tested it...but I'm guessing it has something to do with the difficulty levels of the AI meaning...Levels 1-9, and some similar characteristics the AI all share...but maybe I'm completely wrong and this only has to do with the Metal Box, since the fighter.pac file is the file that has the texture for the Metal Box...

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
I am unsure if you are aware of this...but there is a file called ai_common located within fighter.pac which is in the fighter folder of the ISO, and also located in common3....I haven't tested it...but I'm guessing it has something to do with the difficulty levels of the AI meaning...Levels 1-9, and some similar characteristics the AI all share...but maybe I'm completely wrong and this only has to do with the Metal Box, since the fighter.pac file is the file that has the texture for the Metal Box...
Hmm...interesting. I didn't know that. I'll check it out.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
i'm off schedule, I still suck at everything ;-; I will help as soon as I can though

JamesRaynor

Smash Apprentice
Your ******** ike just sits there and does nothing (basically).

Depending on the difficulty he'll shield.

He will automatically recover if he touches a ledge. My brother says that ike is copying him. He also for some reason will seek out dekunuts and throw them in my direction, but not other ones I've tested. He also will automatically go to recovery items and eat them just like normal, also he will grab hammers in the same sense. He also tends to run at me when my back is turned to him and I am using a side smash in the direction opposite of him.

On the note of the AI-common, I believe it handles the dodging and shielding of a character, since they will still shield (and i think dodge) even with the AI made stupid.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
Your ******** ike just sits there and does nothing (basically).

Depending on the difficulty he'll shield.

He will automatically recover if he touches a ledge. My brother says that ike is copying him. He also for some reason will seek out dekunuts and throw them in my direction, but not other ones I've tested.
Ah, something I never thought of. What difficulty level(s) have you tested him on? I have only tested him on level 3, since that is the game's default setting. Perhaps they act much more differently than I thought depending on difficulty, because on level 3 he does what I said in test #1, but from what you guys are telling me, it sounds more like test #2.

This is the kind of feedback I need, thanks!

JamesRaynor

Smash Apprentice
Ah, something I never thought of. What difficulty level(s) have you tested him on? I have only tested him on level 3, since that is the game's default setting. Perhaps they act much more differently than I thought depending on difficulty, because on level 3 he does what I said in test #1, but from what you guys are telling me, it sounds more like test #2.

This is the kind of feedback I need, thanks!
My guess is setting all the numbers to 0 removes the character specific Ai but not the AI responsible for non-character actions. Like dodging, shielding, item grabbing, ledge recovery, etc.

Top Bottom