• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggressive or Campy style in the Yoshi MU?

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
I know there is a thread on MU's, but I was a little late to post and they're now discussing the Falcon MU, which I will certainly give my Salty thoughts on.

https://youtu.be/SRu2VRKS4KQ

This is a typical FAIRing Yoshi I met on a king of the hill stream and I wanted to see if anyone has any tips or tricks in this MU. Me? I'm a campy DHD, so I simply harass Yoshi to no end with projectiles. If he throws out eggs, I power shield which is the only option in case the eggs get knocked into you. Every Yoshi I've met will FAIR, so I would either air dodge, drop far down the stage to avoid getting FAIRed or throw out a desperate can. That is what I do in this MU.

So here is my question; would an aggressive DHD work against Yoshi or a keep-away DHD? What's your style?

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I am an aggressive DH and in this MU I am forced to switch between the two styles depending on how the yoshi adapts to mine. I start off aggressive, forcing the Yoshi to either stay in shield, get in the habit of rolling, or get in the habit of egg tossing. When this happens I proceed to zone him out. This I do by throwing out more gunmen to pressure shield and force rolls/jumps, I then throw out trick cans and clay pigeons to catch jumps and landings. It is a match up that is not set in stone the whole match, you must adapt a lot.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
The matchup is pretty much about pace control. You have to change up your gameplay as the match goes on. Otherwise, Yoshi can punish one spectrum just as well as Duck Hunt can. I start the matchup passively to observe how the Yoshi prefers to play. Then, I start contesting them appropriately to make them play uncomfortably. Then rotate between play styles to make Yoshi second guess his options and getting stage control from it.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I can only play aggressive if I get a hit/get him offstage and get the momentum in my favor. Otherwise I have to play really campy until he resorts to eggs.

Yoshi is like one of my top 3 characters I hate to fight as DH. I hate it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That match was amazing. I love using the can to catch airborne opponents and I spam gunmen and discs to force them to react and maybe they might make a mistake. I use Fair, Bair, and Nair as often as I can.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
It's all about fluidity and mix-ups. Campy yoshi beats campy DHD, but doesn't get as much reward off of it. Aggressive DHD beats aggressive yoshi, but also gets less off of it.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
It depends. Sometimes I camp if I'm having trouble with someone, but that actually not the best strategy. :/ I don't play Duck Hunt much anymore, but at the end of my secondary reign with him I tried to mostly combo and end it with the can. Ex. Back throw, start pressing b during animation, and you get the rest...

Sometimes camping just works on certain characters. Slow characters, Little Mac (with my experience), and especially King Dedede!

In the end, I suggest to camp when you can, and learn how to combo out of specials as the starter. It's been awhile, and DunnoBro is probably right because he's pretty good, but that's just what I settled on. Don't take my word for it though...

a dog

Smash Cadet
Definitely the hardest matchup I've played thus far. Glad somebody made a thread for it. Today a Yoshi out-camped me pretty hard and getting in on him was difficult as well. It felt like when Yoshi wants to play the lame game, he wins - and he has much stronger kill options than you, too. I lost match after match to this character.

If somebody knows of really good videos to watch of this MU then it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
I believe that in order to be effective in any match up you need to have a good mix of aggressive play and defensive play as duck hunt and any character really. Against Yoshi specifically I personally play a bait and punish style as I feel it is most effective against Yoshi

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
RAR is a good agressive tactic against Yoshi. His Fair has start up lag and his Nair lacks range.

My philosophy is to show him no quarter. I try to keep him within a foxtrot. Short hops into Fairs and Nairs. Nair as a quick answer to jabs. Foxtrot grabs can make him resort to spot dodging which opens up Dsmash. I love Dsmash against spot dodgers.

Yoshi zones so well that I tend to spend my entire first stock trying to harass him. I like to try to entice him into forgetting his eggs and "boing hop" so I can open up my clay pigeons and can after he becomes reckless.

Duck hunt isn't intended to be a swarming attacker, so it can shake you opponents up when you swamp them with Bairs, foxtrot grabs, and a confrontational approach in general. Even if you're on the losing end of the exchange you can condition them to become a catcher's mitt.

Make him fear that Duck then Dog him.

Top Bottom