• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Aftermath's Guide to Samus

Aftermath

Smash Champion
For an edited, better organized, and better looking page with this guide, go here. It has all the same info, but Buzz edited my poor grammar and put in some pictures to go along with some of the sections.

This is a complete guide to Samus, it includes complete move listings, strategies on when to best use them and general explanations on when to not, explanations on how fast they are, general priority, and damages for them. The damages are right under the name of the move and the first number signifies the damage you can do with it if it hasn’t degenerated any, the second is the least amount you can do with it. In the game, all decimals are rounded down. I also included the ways to do every single trick that I am aware of with Samus and hope to have someone with AR give the exact details of the super wavedash. There will also be a section on a few character specific strategies and combos that can be done with Samus. I'll also go over the importance of her wd.

Make sure to check out the video guide to go along with this, demonstrating some of her beginning techniques, as well as showing a few fun things to do.
Mission Briefing

A few of my statements will most likely be inaccurate, so if you think I messed up on something, feel free to argue with me. The only thing that I do not want contested is the percentages, it took me a long time to find all of them and I am completely sure all of them are correct.

Ground moves:

The A Moves:

Neutral A-
3%-1.5%

This attack comes out faster than any of her other moves and has hardly any knockback. However, it is good if you landed in front of someone's shield, this is fast enough to usually hit them before they can grab you. Although it has little knockback, it has decent stun and can be followed up with a dtilt to put the person in the air for a combo or another move that also comes out quickly. While this attack does not have priority over alot of things, it will cancel many of them, making the little ting and stunning both characters.

Good times to use:
Landed in front of someone's shield after an l-cancelled aerial, their first reaction is to shield grab, but this can usually some out first, thanks to their shield stun. Has priority over very little, can cancel other neutral A's and a few tilts though (pika's, yoshi's, pichu's, luigi, basically anyone’s that use their body to attack and don't have much range). Not recommended unless you need a very quick attack that won't leave you open if you miss and has a chance of canceling what the other person is doing.

Neutral A, A-
7%-4%

This attack has decent knockback and surprising range. It follows up perfectly after the first A or if you just barely missed it. It has more priority and a little lag, shouldn't be used too much but can come in handy sometimes since it stuns the opponent and knocks them away.

Good times to use:
After the first neutral A. Not recommended if the opponent has low damage, as they usually would recover sooner than you.

Ftilt-
10%-5.5%

Great range, comes out fast, good priority, and good knockback. This move can hit through nearly all other tilts (non-sword ones, save for shieks and ganons) because of its range and speed. It cancels the other tilts, but shiek can hit you again with hers before you can do yours again and gets hit by marth's, roy's, and a well timed link ftilt. With fast fallers, as long as they don't tech, you can do this all the way across FD at low-to-mid percentages. Also leads well into combo since it can set up pretty well for a dash attack or wavesmash (has to be quick). There is a small portion that is off of her foot that can hit as well, this disjointed hitbox is what you should try to hit with. Tilting this move up or down is also a good idea for shielders or people coming from the air, as it can be angled very high or low and can cancel or even hit through some character's air moves.

Good times to use:
Another character is running at you and you need something quick that will most likely hit over their dash attack. Someone is in their shield and there are exposed spots at the top and bottom, angle this of course. Someone is about to attack you, continuing their combo, but you recover just in time and manage to hit them back with this (ends up happening a lot). The best time in my opinion to use this is when someone just landed/ran/rolled/wd behind you and you need a quick attack that can knock them away. There's not a whole lot of situations where using this move puts you at a disadvantage (unless you're trying to hit a marth out of the air).

Utilt-
13%-7% (Opponent on ground), 12%-6.5% (Opponent in air)

This is an awesome move altogether, startup may be slow, but knockback is very high and is a meteor :D When hitting someone on the ground, it sends them straight up and can be used to hit people multiple times at low percentages if they don't DI out. When hitting someone in the air, it sends them sideways at a very deadly trajectory, usually nearly completely horizontal. It also can hit below the edge a little, this means it is one of Samus' best moves for edgeguarding. The timing may be awkward at first, but is worth it to knock away would-be edge sweetspotters.
Also cancels or goes through many tilts and some smashes (shiek's, fox's, kirby's, etc.)

Good times to use:
Right after throwing someone with a dthrow/uthrow and want to get them away from you. After doing a dtilt at low percentages, goes right into this attack. Edgeguarding, hits below and has very high knockback. Good sometimes against someone coming out of the air at you. Not recommended for when you need a fast move to break a combo.

Dtilt-
14%-7.66%

In my opinion her best tilt, this comes out very fast, hits the opponent up and leads into nearly any combo. CC an attack into doing this move is the basis of many of my battles, unless it's against a peach. This will always put you at an advantage, and leads into long massive damage dealing combos and ends many people's lives. It has incredibly high priority and can be done pretty quickly of one another. Kind of useful for edgeguarding since it can hit them above you and let you give more damage before hitting them back off the stage. Since it also comes out fast it can be another combo breaker for Samus.

Good times to use:
Are being tilted/neutral A'd by anther character, this is fast enough to break the chain and will send the opponent into one of your combos. Have just been hit by a smash at a low percentage and were CCing it (great against foxes). Are running at the opponent and they are charging a smash, crouch right out of their range and do this when they attack. After doing a dthrow, is possible to use this to hit the enemy up for combos. Not recommended against peach, period.

Fsmash-
19%-10.5% (Fully Charged), 14-7.5% (Uncharged)

A very good smash that comes out fast has insane priority and range and very high knockback. The biggest downside to this move is it hits in the beginning, but she leaves her arm out there to get attacked. Despite what I had earlier, this move does not have more range than marth’s fsmash, but you can hit him while he’s leaning forward after the move. It does, however, have a long disjointed hitbox, and I’m always surprised how far away I can be and still hit with this. Great for edgeguarding, as it leaves you safe and hits the enemy far away off the screen. When angled downwards can just barely hit below the edge to knock off sweetspotters and hit below shields. When angled up can hit attackers out of the air. This move can basically hit through or cancel anything without getting hit yourself. This is very useful when going up against foxes, marios, marths (very hard to hit out of upB without getting hit yourself), and basically anyone that comes up off the edge at an angle or with an attack that is usually hard to hit.

Good times to use:
When someone is trying to come back from the edge, this hits them back off far and will usually end up in the person getting very frustrated. When you need a finishing move or something that will get the opponent off the edge and allow for Samus' awesome edgeguarding. When someone is coming at you from the air and thinks they're safe, a little upwards angle solves that. The enemy finishes their smash and realizes they're out of range, but your attack isn't. Not recommended for use unless you won't be left horribly open to attacks, seeing as how this move has a lot of lag afterwards.

Sorry if I got a little caught up in explaining how much this move pisses people off when they think they can hit you but you get them instead, it's just that it happens so often to the person I play most.

Usmash-
29%-17% (Fully Charged), 21%-12% (Uncharged)
5.25%-3.125% (First Four Fully Charged Flames), 8%-4.5% (Last Fully Charged Flame)
3.75%-2.25% (First Four Uncharged Flames), 5%-3% (Last Uncharged Flame)

Many people consider this the most useless of all of Samus' moves, but I think it's just VERY situational. This move is a good follow up attack as it can suck the opponent in and gives the most damage of any of Samus' moves. The major drawbacks to it are its lack of priority, lag afterwards, and lack of reliable knockback (ie only the lat hit sends them anywhere). Some players may never use this in a match, but sometimes it can be the best option to do.

Good times to use:
Right after a dtilt, this moves will suck them in and end up keeping them glued to the ground while this attack is going, then sending them up in the air for other attacks. Last minute defense against people coming from the air, though this is usually no the best option. Not recommended for abuse, or as a lead off attack, as the enemy will usually only be hit by the first flames and retaliate appropriately.

Dsmash-
21%-12% (Front Fully Charged), 16%-8.8% (Front Uncharged)
20%-11.25% (Back Fully Charged), 15%-8.33% (Back Uncharged)

Another very good smash that comes out fast and hits all around quickly with great knockback. This attack is great for wavesmashing with and CCing to as it comes out nearly as fast as the dtilt but has more priority. It goes through many characters attacks but does not seem to hit below the shield well for some reason. It can also be used as an edgeguarder since it will a lot of the time sweep the enemy into the wall, bouncing him/her back off at a low angle. While it doesn't have nearly as much range as the fsmash or the priority, it is still a very powerful attack that sends opponents into the sky and can break out of a combo.

Good times to use:
Basically it can be used anytime in place of the dtilt; the only reason to use the dtilt instead would be to have better combo ability from the move. The dsmash has good damage, but comboing is always better than just hitting once, although this can lead into a few combos. Not recommended for people coming out of the air, peach.

Dash Attack
14%-7.66%

The running A attack. It comes out fairly quickly, and has a long range and good priority, but does have severe lag afterwards. It's sometimes risky to use because one of these into a shield more or less guarantees you getting grabbed. However, it can be a combo starter and lower to mid percentages, and a quick wd to ftilt can tack on another 10% pretty quickly without leaving you too vulnerable if the enemy recovers or shields. At higher percentages, it can be used to get the opponent off the edge, but since the trajectory is often more than a 45 degree angle, you may have some trouble keeping a few opponents off the edge. Still, this is a great move for just a quick hit, but definitely something that can get you punished in a match.

Good Times to use:
I find I use this when I need a fast move, but the ftilt is out of range. A quick dash, hitting A just after the animation starts, and you may be able to get a hit. The dash attack is also great out of the dthrow on floaty and mid weight characters such as sheik and ganon. For the floaties, if they DI away you won't be able to get a sex kick on them, but you can run and do a dash attack. You can also hit with these quite eassily by just throwing them out at unexpected times when you think the opponent may do something to leave him vulnerable. From here it's just a matter of hoping you hit, then wding to follow the DI and possibly a tech, and then a dtilt or ftilt to try and start up another combo or get them over the edge.

Air Moves:

Nair-
14%-7.66%

Also known as the sex kick, it is the most abusable aerial of Samus' and has great priority, lasts a long time, comes out and back in fast, good knockback, and hits all around you. This is the best move for stopping the enemy from continuing their combo on you since it will most likely hit them instead of you. The place to aim this is on you legs, nearer to your feet, as that will go through nearly every attack in the start of the animation. Your whole body may be protected, but many times you may just end up trading blow unless you connect with this. I find this is also a good move for running at someone you know is going to jump. It knocks opponents far away and sets them up for missiles or can be used to edgeguard. The only other sex kick that is nearly as good is luigi's, but does not have the range.

Good times to use:
Almost any, whenever the opponent is coming at you from the front and he/she is in the air. after you missile cancel a missile, you can run behind it, and , if you've been grabbing or dash attacking after this recently, jump up and hit them in the air. After someone grabs you and tries to start a combo on you, you do this and they get a nice foot in the face. Also if someone is coming from below you while you are being juggled, this is another option instead of bomb jumping to avoid them, Works because they will be used to waiting longer before attacking and not react to the fast falled sex kick in time. Not recommended against aerial marths as they have more range and you usually only trade hits.

Fair-
23%-13%, 4.5%-2.66% (Each Hit)

Another great move involving fire, although the priority and speed of this move may be less than that of her other moves, this is her second most damaging attack, assuming you hit with all the bursts of fire. This move is also situational, as it should mainly be used for people coming from above. Even then, it has little priority and many attacks will simply go through or hit both characters at best. It doesn't have much stun afterwards either, unless the opponent has high percentages and knocks the opponent upward. The one thing this attack is useful for is doing a lot of damage in combos and continuing them, since it can be followed up quickly by another move. Not that this needs much mentioning, but always l-cancel this attack, not that you don't need to on the other ones, it's just that this is her most laggy attack upon landing.

Good times to use:
Whenever the enemy is standing on a platform above you, this move has surprising priority over ground moves, and it's possible to hit with each burst of fire when used this way. If an opponent is coming from above you with an attack, as long as you hit with the flame while they're still away from you, this almost always cancel their move and hit with this one, allowing you to combo from there. Not recommended when you are coming horizontally or from above someone, as it starts out only hitting above you and takes awhile to work down, unless you can time it well, but most of the time you're better off with a sex kick.

Uair-
10%-6%
3.25%-.75% (First Hit), .75% (Middle Four Hits), 3.75%-2.25% (Last Hit)

Another great aerial that comes out fast, combos well, has great priority and range, and is easily abusable. It overrides most attacks from above (save for marth and roy's sword and kirby's stone). This is also usually the second step in all of Samus' combos, and is well suited for protecting yourself from would be attackers. one thing I’ve been meaning to try and will post on when I test it is shielding when the opponent is coming from above very early, so they think they'll just land behind you and grab or attack, but jump out when they're above and hit with this. This strategy will become predictable after extended use, but as long as you change it up with other tactics, it may stay a viable option for protection. This move is also very versatile and may be substituted for the missile-run-jump-sex kick strategy that I do a lot. It's also very good for edgeguarding also as it has even MORE priority than the sex kick and knocks the opponent away a good distance on the last hit, great for following up with a missile or Bair.

Good times to use:
When the opponent is coming down on top of you with an attack, this negates theirs and hits with yours. If someone is attempting to come back from off screen high, this is a good move to hit them back off and set them up for more edge guarding. Basically the best use of this move is it's combo-ability, nearly every move that hits the opponent skyward can be worked into this one way or another and it has little lag afterwards so it can be quickly followed up by anything, even another uair (although a jump is usually needed). Not recommended against kirby's stone, when you're coming down to someone (may work, but I’ve had bad experiences with fox), or over used coming up to a falling marth.

Bair-
10%-5.5% (Normal Hit), 14%-7.66% (Sweetspot)

Yet another great aerial move for Samus, she's starting to sound broken... Anyway, this attack comes out as fast as her other aerials explained before and also has little follow up lag. It has crazy priority and range (possible to hit a marth out of a fsmash) and an odd placing of the sweetspot. This is placed about half the length of her foot to her knee off of her toes (meaning that it can hit MUCH farther away than it should). This is usually the combo finisher, although at lower to mid percentages it's possible to do a pseudo wall of pain on the more mid to slow falling speed characters. Also a decent edgeguarder, just turn around and hit the enemy as they come into your range, although this will send them the opposite direction you want if they are in front of where your hip is. When connected with that area it will send them horizontally across the stage but won't have the same knockback, as you get closer to the sweetspot, it sends them a little more vertically with more knockback, the sweetspot has very high knockback (near that of her fsmash) and sends them at about a 40 degree angle upwards. The only place this move is really vulnerable is from the bottom or the front.

Good times to use:
As a combo finisher, usually right after a fair or uair. Edgeguarding since it has priority, range, and great knockback, just make sure you try to get level with the opponent before hitting them, so you have the best chance of hitting them without getting hit. Use this after a dsmash when the opponent is at low percentages, as the dsmash will set them up perfectly for this and you can get off 1-3 of these. Basically, anytime the opponent gets behind you in the air and is at about the same level. Not recommended for running at someone and using in place of a sex kick, getting out of combos, you will usually be approached from the front/bottom, where this move is most easily hit.

Dair-
16%-8.8%

The other Samus meteor, and one of the best edgeguarding options. Unlike the last game this move has horrible startup times and a small window with which to hit with it. However, it has great priority, decent range, and good knockback and stun. Like most meteors, this is possible of spiking, and is the most common way for Samuses to edgeguard people coming back, although it can be meteor cancelled easily. Another good use of this move is short hopping, then a little after the peak of your jump use this and fast fall into the enemy, if they were on the ground this will knock them straight up and keep them stunned for a long time, at low percentages you can use this to set up for a uair. If you learn to time this well enough you can even get out of some juggles (never attempt against marth, only get you hurt).

Good times to use:
When the opponent is recovering and is about level with you (I highly recommend using the c-stick for this so you don’t accidentally fast fall to your death). When coming down from above your opponent, usually requires good timing and make sure you anticipate what the opponent is going to do correctly, because you’re screwed if you do it too early or late because you thought/didn’t think the opponent was going to jump. Also good for hitting the opponent up into the air when they’re on the ground. Not recommended if you can’t time it or need a fast attack.

The B Moves:

Neutral B-
25%-13.75% (Fully Charged), 3%-1.5% (Uncharged)

The charge shot and the most watched out for of all Samus’ moves. If you charge one of these, basically anyone you play will be wearier of your every move in an attempt to always dodge this. A good strategy into fooling your opponents into thinking you have an uncharged one is to stop charging it right before it’s full by tapping L/R and carrying that around for awhile. When you feel like using it, just use it in place of a missile cancel. This doesn’t always work, but is sometimes a good trick to pull. Also a well placed non-charged beam is sometimes good since it comes out faster than a missile and has pretty good stun. This should be used sparingly and only if you really don’t have anything else to protect yourself with, since it’s mainly a surprise tactic, but does have good priority.
Other than this, try to keep one at least partially charged but don’t concern yourself too much with it, because usually once you have one, you’re eager to get it off, which may lead to mistakes. I mainly just charge it after I get a kill, otherwise it’s not that important to me and I don’t really care if I miss.

Good times to use:

Uncharged or less than halfway-
Basically use this if the opponent is on top of you and you don’t have much else to protect you, if done sparingly this will throw off their timing by a surprising amount and let you do whatever you want to them. Another good use is to every now and then charge your beam while they’re recovering, they’ll think you’ll want to wait and think nothing of it, but shoot them when they’re at the right spot, this will surprise them and knock them back far enough to get edgehogged afterwards. Not recommended for a KO.

Fully charged or near it-
Use this when you think the enemy will least expect it, as this does a lot of damage and has a ton of knockback, using this immediately after a missile cancel is always good, because if you hit with the missile, chances are you’ll hit with the beam. Also, people have an uncanny ability to take their shield off after a missile even if there’s an even more powerful beam on the way. However, do not always stick to this; try to throw it in randomly in the middle of a combo. Keep in mind that the enemy will always be expecting this as your next move, so try and fight the urge to shoot it even if you’re both standing across form each other. Also a good edgeguarder if you can hit with it, as it will almost always kill. Not recommended when a fox/falco has their reflector on, when a doc/Mario can see it coming, or to be abused, it’s a good attack, but you usually have more options than just charging and shooting a beam. Also try not to get too predictable with it against marths/roys as they can counter it (although sometimes they still get hit out of it), and hit you back if you ran in.

Forward B:

Homing Missile-
5%-2.66%

This attack sends out a heat-seeking missile that moves slowly and doesn’t actually track the character very well. It has pretty low priority and very little knockback I do not like this move particularly well and am always disappointed when I see Samuses that don’t shoot any other kind of missile. It is useful in some situations and can screw up someone’s timing if you missile cancel a slow one, then a fast one. Or use it every now and then if they get used to jumping over them. One thing to remember though is it comes out much slower than the super missile, so you have to time the homing earlier. I find that, in most cases, it’s actually better to shoot an uncharged/partially charged beam.
As for edgeguarding with it, I’d say you’re still better off with a beam or super missile instead.

Good times to use:
Whenever the opponent has gotten very used to the super missile timing, you can use this to catch them off guard. Other than that, I don’t see much use to it. Not recommended for frequent use.

Super Missile-
12%-6.5%

The better of the two missiles, this comes out relatively slow but speeds up as it goes in a straight line. It has the same low priority but great knockback in comparison to the homing. It is capable of getting kills at higher percentages and is a move that is always stopping the opponent from coming at you the way he/she wants. Through missile canceling and timing the missiles you can make the opponent jump up into a waiting sex kick or run in behind and grab them while they shield. This is usually the most used move of any Samus and a great edgeguarder. Missile canceling is a must nearly anytime you land, even if the opponent can reflect it, you can always jump or shoot another missile. This move also opens up a whole new plethora of possibilities and is a great combo finisher since you don’t have to be near the opponent. On some smaller platformed levels this may become less important in a fight but can still let you position the enemy where you want him/her. All in all, it lets Samus have a lot of control over the flow of the fight. However, when fighting characters with ways to reflect projectiles, get used to jumping after a missile cancel.

Good times to use:
When landing, try to get it as close to the ground as possible so characters like shiek can’t duck it. If the opponent is from in front of you in air, or when they’re dashing at you while you’re about to land. When the opponent is off the edge at a higher level than you either jump up and shoot it to hit them back or missile cancel a few and let them fall into it. After doing a uair or bair the opponent will usually be in the perfect position to be hit by a missile. Not recommended for complete spamming, as there are numerous ways around that, also, don’t shoot one if a fox/falco is sitting with their reflector on.

Down B:
3%-2% (First Hit), 4%-2% (Explosion)

This of course lays a bomb, and after laying one it will give you a small boost upwards and air mobility that rivals Jigglypuff until you come out of your morph ball state. This attack always seems to take longer to come out when you need it and has a long lag time in which you can’t do anything else. It does however have good priority and never ceases to slow the opponent down at least a little while coming to you. Just like the missiles, this can be used to position the opponent where you want them and take advantage of them from there. This can also be used to stop would be jugglers from hitting you and throw off their timing (Note: when they get used to you doing this and simply wait longer to attack you, fast fall at them with a sex kick and always change it up from then on). Another good thing to do with the bombs is to use them as a sort of short hop, lay one then go towards/away from the opponent and lay another then go towards your original bomb for a little boost and do a sex kick or other aerial at the opponent. Another way to do this is to just lay one and go away from the opponent, wait about half a second after you stand up and then run at the opponent and receive the same boost, both these tactic soon become very predictable and easily countered, so don’t overuse them. The most invaluable thing about bombs is how much they help your recovery. When knocked off the edge, simply lay one in mid air, then lay another one as soon as possible afterwards, this will bounce you up into the first one’s explosion and you will receive a boost that will allow you to go back a significant distance towards the level, repeat as necessary until you’re within upB range or grappling range. However, this attack is much more helpful on some characters (shiek for example) than others (marth, bombs don’t even affect him).

Good times to use:
When the opponent is running at you, one option is to lay a bomb and then go away from them and wait for them to jump over and then hit them with a short hopped sex kick. Another option from there is to either shoot a missile or grab them if they’re just standing there waiting for it to explode. Other times to use this of course are when you’re being juggled or someone is coming at you when you both are in the air and the opponent is attacking. Another great use for it I’ve found is landing on a potential shield grabber’s shield with a few bombs, it takes it out very fast and they usually don’t know exactly what to do, because they get hit when they try to grab, when the shield gets low enough, hit them in their exposed spots with a missile, sex kick, bair, fair, etc. Not recommended against an aerial marth, as his attacks can go through both bombs and you with a single swipe, you’re better off just moving out of the way.

Up B
12%-7%
2%-1% (First Hit), ~.91%-.5% (Other 11 Hits)

The Screw Attack, this drags opponents up with you and hits them multiple times. It can be used out of a shield, as Samus’ alternative to shield grabbing. This does not do very much damage or have much knockback, but does have amazing priority. While I don’t use this for much else other than recovering, one of these at an unpredictable time can be helpful and if you do fast fall down, chances are that you won’t be punished for not being able to do anything else afterwards.

Good times to use:
Recovering from off the stage. Use as an alternative to shield grabbing. If someone is coming from above you with an attack that you don’t think a uair will cover, this may do the trick. Not recommended for using a lot, as the opponent can simply dodge it or get out of the way and punish you while you’re falling back down.

Throws:

The Grapple-
4%

Yes, it is an attack, but not one that is of great significance. It has very little knockback but priority over everything, as long as it hits them first, but will usually still leave them in a better position than you.

Good times to use:
When the opponent is relatively far away and you don’t have time for a missile. Not recommended as a main attack.

Fthrow-
9%-4.947368421052631578%

Samus’ forward throw, her strongest one, but it does not have many combo set ups from it. Can be used at higher percentages to throw the enemy off the edge for edgeguarding, but there is usually a safer way.

Good times to use:
When you want a throw that will give the most damage and get them away from you. Not recommended if you want a combo starter.

Uthrow-
7%-3.83%

A better throw that actually can set up for a couple different thing at lower percentages depending on which way the opponent DIs. While it doesn’t give very much damage, it does send the opponent very high into the air.

Good times to use:
When you either want to put the opponent in the air for a uair or bair (best against fast fallers) or just want them away from you so you can run the other way and missile. Not recommended if you want a combo starter and the opponent is at high percentages.

Bthrow-
8%-4.33%

A throw that gives a fair amount of damage and can sometimes set up for a dash attack/ftilt. It is basically the fthrow with less damage and knockback.

Good times to use:
When the opponent is at mid-range damage, you can usually follow this quickly with a dash attack or whatever you can think of. Not recommended against fast fallers, as they will be able to tech roll out of it.

Dthrow-
6%-3.25%

By far my favorite throw as it sets up for the most combos than any of her other throws. The only problem is fast fallers who will be able to tech roll out of it before you can do anything, other than that, it usually sets up characters for a nice fsmash or nair which can lead to other things. It doesn’t give much damage and will never kill, but combo-ablility makes up for all of that.

Good times to use:
Against any character that doesn’t fall incredibly fast, the most useful throw against shiek, because it puts her right in the way for a fsmash, against people like marth, you may have to jump and give them a nair or missile. Not recommended against fast fallers, you’d probably be better off going with an uthrow if they know how to tech.

Ok, now for the important parts of the guide, first will be the overview of Samus’ wavedash, followed by a character strategies section, combos, general strategies, and finally tricks.

The Wavedash:

Samus’ wavedash is very easy to pull off quickly and flawlessly but also has a great effect on her overall speed, evasiveness, and attacks. With her long wavedash, it is very possible to use it to move, it moves slightly faster than her dash, but has no startup or turn around time. Once you begin to use wavedashing as second nature to being attacked, you will be able to avoid many attacks and wavesmash into your own. The best use of this is dodging people’s dash or smash attacks and charging yours a little while they’re coming off their lag. When someone is coming at you in the air however, no matter how it looks, many times it is better to wavedash towards them and then turn around and tilt/smash them.

So really, if you’re new to Samus, spend a couple hours in training mode or something and practice your wavedash, it is invaluable in a match.

The Super Wavedash:

This is Samus' most difficult move to pull of consistently. Some argue it's usefulness, but when mastered and put to good use (See Joker/Wes), it can be one of Samus' best and most tricky mindgames, opening up new ways to play.

While there is a set way to do the Super Wavedash, there are many different methods people use to pull it off. Some of the tricks used to acheive the Super Wavedash are described below.
Lay a bomb and:
1) Wait until Samus hits the ground, then just after that happens quickly flick the control stick left to right or right to left.
2) Start holding left or right sometime after laying the bomb and before Samus hits the ground, and then at the appropriate time smash the control stick in the opposite direction.
3) Immediately start holding the direction of the way you want to go (let's say right), then flick the control stick left and then right as quickly as possible when Samus hits the ground.
4) Wait until Samus lands on the ground, and then flick the direction you want to go, the opposite way, and then back again.

Experiment with these ways, or even come up with your own. Of course, there are tons of variations on these, such as holding the direction at certain times, which varies from person to person. The ones listed above are simply the most common ways I have seen mentioned. I use number 3 to go to the right, and number 4 to go to the left. I find that flicking the control stick those 3 times helps make it easier to time, as I can just start doing that as soon as she lands. However, I'm not really all that good at it, so don't take my word for which way is best.

Regardless of how you try it, this is how it is done:
1) Lay a bomb on the ground.
2) On frame 41 of the bomb animation, be pressing either right or left.
3) On frame 42 of the bomb animation, be pressing either left or right (depending on the direction pressed previously).
4) To maximize distance, do not continue holding a direction after frame 42.
That may all sound a bit confusing, so I'll explain it by how it looks. From the ground, when you lay the bomb, you'll see Samus morph into the ball, rise up slightly, lay the bomb, then fall back toward the ground. Just after she hits the ground, you will notice her change back to normal and your lag will end from the bomb. In order to do the Super Wavedash you need to do one of the methods listed above to move the control stick from left to right or right to left just after she lands. The timing takes a long time to get down, and the biggest mistake most people will make is doing the control stick motion too early. What I suggest is try many, many different timings, see when works, and try to get a pretty good sense of when you need to actually flick the control stick.

You'll know you've done it correctly when you see Samus dart across the stage at a high speed, but she is still standing. You should not see any smoke nor anything else that is otherwise normally associated with Wavedashing.

When first trying, you may see Samus moving very quickly a short distance and then stopping. This means you tried it too early, so start again and wait just a tad longer before flicking the stick. If you do manage to do it, you may also notice that the distance you travel is not always the same. The reason for this is two-fold. First, the more you have the control stick left or right (on frame 42, and assuming you did it correctly), the farther you will move initially. Also, anything you do after the initial movement will slow you down, so holding the direction after you do the Super Wavedash will cause you to lose all momentum quickly and slow to a walk. Jumping, Csticking, and puting up your shield will not diminish your momentum but any B move you try will immediately stop you.

This may take some people months to get down consistently, some just days or weeks, and some may just never be good at it ever. While the usefullness is argued, this move opens up many new avenues of play and adds a huge amount of new mindgames to Samus' bag of tricks. The most common use for the Super Wavedash is for after the opponent comes back invincible, a Super Wavedash across the stage will make them take longer to get to you, possibly draining the invincibility, however it works best on long stages, so this is limited mostly to Pokestadium, FD, and Dreamland 64. Other uses for this are edgeguarding, evading an attack, and trying to tie it into a combo or start one with a move while sliding. Even though this is incredibly difficult and even more difficult to effectively add to your playing style, this is one technique tha is definitely something to at least take a stab at.

Shorthop Double Aerial:

While this isn't something I have seen mentioned before, I have found it invaluable in my playing style recently. Like Luigi, samus can do two aerials in one non-Fast Falled jump. So doing a sex kick, bair, or uair right after leaving the ground will also let you perform (at least part of) another sex kick, bair, or uair. I find double sex kicks to be extremly useful, as it can catch people in shields off guard. sex kick to bair and bair to bair are also highly recommended. Pulling this out of your shield can be particularly unexpected, as most people would assume that after one aerials they would be free to run in and do whatever. Fair can also be used as the second attack, but sometimes the hitbox for it won't actually come out, so there is usually a better option. This technique isn't at all hard to do, and should only take you 5-10 minutes if that to be able to do it consistently.

Character Specific Strategies:
(Will be described for fighting on FD, since many people only play there)

Sheik-

I play against sheiks more than any other character and so I’ve been able to devise quite a few different tactics that are effective. Bombs are the most useful move to trip sheik up that you possess. Her aerials can take out missiles, but only a very well timed and placed fair will stop a bomb. Not to say that missiles are useless against her, it’s just that her needles come out much faster and can cut right through them, same with the beam. Bombs are also cancelled by needles, but one bomb can stop all six needles, so if you’re are going to shoot missiles or a beam, it’s a better choice to do so close, so the player doesn’t have as much time to react.

As for close range attacks, your tilts are often the best choice since they come out quickly and will keep her at bay for the most part. Take every chance you can get to knock her into the air, because that is where Samus can deal the bulk of her damage quickly. If you do for some reason grab and manage to actually grab her, a dthrow to fsmash is the best thing you can do after hitting her a couple times. Also, this may not be the smartest thing, but you can do an ftilt to a dash attack and hit her quite a few times, since she falls perfectly into it again.

Another good way for attacking is to come at her from the air your bair and sex kick have priority over ALL of her aerials if timed correctly, even the dreaded fair. If the sheik is on the ground, she will most likely shield since her ground attacks can’t go through a sex kick well either, you have two likely options from here. The first one is to either jump again and try to land behind her then ftilt or dtilt her shield until she jumps out of it, rolls, wavedashes, etc. then either shoot a missile, beam, or come after her with a dash attack/more tilts. The other option is to not attack on the way down but land right in front of her and bomb her shield, you can do this very quickly and it takes out a ton of her shield, the reason you go to the front is so she will try and shield grab you and get hit by the bomb, go with your bombs to the back of her and then do what was described earlier.

When you do decide to shoot missiles, always missile cancel them at a close range to sheik and either grab (one of the only times to do it) her if she shields or shorthop up with a sex kick if she tries to jump. Another good way of attacking her with missiles would be missile canceling and shorthopping to a dair on her shield, but still trying to land behind it and follow the strategy above, this way both the missile and dair take out her shield and a dtilt will most likely hit her.

Her tilts can combo you to a pretty good percentage sometimes but either DI out or simply CC and wait for a chance to do a dtilt and get her in the air for you. If you do manage to DI out though, a sex kick is the best option you have from there. If you get grabbed, there is a 95% chance you will be dthrowed, if you are at low percentages, DI away and lay a bomb, since there’s a pretty good chance the sheik will want to tilt you out of it or dash attack. If you are at higher percentages however, just try to DI up out of the range of her slap and recover as soon as possible and throw out a sex kick, if she tries to jump again or uair, of course, a bomb is always another option. Always try to keep an eye out for her fair though.

Another nasty thing she can do to you is her dsmash, while this is nowhere near as bad as peach’s (I’ll talk about her later) it is still something to watch out for since it has very good priority and knockback. Some good ways of countering this move are to wavedash back and grab her out of it and dthrow her to a fsmash or to simply wd back a little and fsmash. Of course, you do not always have time to react to this, when you are hit try to tech when you hit the ground and then shorthop towards her and missile cancel and go from there.

When recovering try not to take the most obvious or same route back as you did last time, needles can severely screw up your bomb jumps and hit you out of your grapple, ending your life early. Always try to come from below, as there is the smallest chance of the sheik jumping out to slap you. If you do come from above the level, make sure to lay the bombs in the path that she would take to slap you and try to set her up to get hit off by you. Also, is the sheik is used to your timing of the bomb jump, only laying one bomb then not laying the other but fast falling with a sex kick while they’re coming for you can sometimes help you make it back.

Other than those things to keep in mind, fighting a sheik isn’t all that much different than fighting anyone else, you just need to edgeguard well, watch out for needles, and send her into combos every chance you get.

Marth-

Of all the characters I hate to fight, marth has to be number one; I’d rather fight a hundred sheiks than a good marth. The biggest reason? Projectiles do next to nothing to a marth; he can swipe through missiles and bombs and continue to you without even slowing down. Almost every attack of his will stop/go through any projectile (I think there are two that don’t). So let me just say this now, if wavedashing out of the way isn’t COMPLETELY natural to you, you’ll have a very hard time against good marths.

First off is what you can do to him to control where you want him to go, I found that shooting a missile in the air at his shorthop height when he’s near you and running at you can often keep him on the ground, which is better than having him in the air. If he doesn’t jump into the missile or fair it and does stay on the ground, he’ll most likely grab or dash attack. Either way you have two options, wait until he’s about to do whichever one and do a dsmash and hit him out of it, or wavedash towards him right as he’s about to do either one, this can work because you’ll be too close to be grabbed or be hit by the dash attack, from there a smash of some sort is recommended. However if he does manage to fair it, you can either wd back a couple times and try a dtilt or fsmash, or wd towards him and hope you go under him, then do a dsmash or fsmash.

If he is coming from above you there are a few options available to you. You can always jump up and do a uair since it has the best chance of actually hitting, but a little tip: do the move a little early and tap L or R immediately afterwards, this way if you get spiked, you can tech out of it easily. If he doesn’t do that to you, then a good idea is to fast fall right before the last hit hits him then jump up again and do another uair, this way he doesn’t get knocked away by the first uair. Another thing you can do is lay a bomb and then go under him, he’ll either have to jump again, at which point you jump and uair or missile him, or he’ll bair to try and hit you or dair to get rid of the bomb, if he bairs just wavedash back a little and then go smash him or missile, if he dairs, take advantage of the lag afterwards (it’s still a lot even lcancelled) with a smash or a dtilt to start a combo.
Those will most likely be your best two options, but another one is to just wd/run away a bit and shoot a missile at the shorthop height and do what was described before.

One of marth’s most damaging combos that he can do to samus easily is just multiple fairs, because of her weight and floatiness, she can easily be combo’d by this until about 90%, where she just gets hit too far up. The worst part about this for me is that I’m so used to getting hit once, and then simply doing a sex kick or fair while the enemy is lagging, so I tend to DI towards the enemy and down a bit, but since marth has no lag afterwards, it’s a very bad idea to do this. Even though it’s completely away from my style, the best choice is to DI as far away as you can and just try to land and go from there, marth’s annoying because you can both combo each other so well, so both people will just try to get away and regroup when they’re being combo’d. You have the advantage of projectiles in slowing him down a *little* bit after you get away, but he can more easily hit you after or in the middle of your combo if he’s at lower percentages. If you are hit out over the edge while getting out of the combo most likely the safest thing you can do is try to get under the side of the stage and either bomb jump back to an upb or try and sweetspot the grapple.

On the topic of being off the edge, some good things to keep in mind are to always try and sweetspot the edge whenever possible because of marth’s dtilts and fsmash and if you are high, just try to get over him and use your bombs to confuse him about how you’re coming down. Just watch out because you can’t hit him with his uair blocking him and his fsmash hits above him and his utilt is unbelievably good. Other than that, it’s basically a normal recovery, he may jump out and fair or bair you, but that’s already something you should be watching out for with every character.

As for edgeguarding the marth there are two important things to consider:
1) Does Marth still have his jump?
2) Will he try to sweetspot?

If he has his jump, it’s very important that you don’t really try to edgehog, unless he’s very far out or very low, but rather hit him with a missile, the weakness of most people that recover with marth are that they think you’ll shoot a missile below them as if they’re going to fall into it, but instead, shoot it a bit high, chances are they’ll keep doing over b or jump as they realize it’s about to hit them, but if they fast fall or simply fall past it then you still messed up they’re recovery anyway. If they do get hit however, either by jumping late (in which case you stole their jump and over b won’t do jack) or just getting hit, you severely screwed up their recovery and can follow up with more missiles or an edgehog if they get close enough. If they jump up past it and continue to over b simply jump at them and either shoot another one a bit higher than usual and hope they don’t expect it again or shoot it slightly lower and hope they try and fall past it.

If he is coming in low and trying to sweetspot, hold off as long as possible before actually edgehogging him, so you give the false illusion of a free edge. You really don’t have too many options against a marth trying to sweetspot as his sword will hit you out of anything you’d do to hit him. One good thing to do though is to drop a bomb and either meteor him while he’s stunned or go back onstage and wait for him to upb again, since he’ll usually try to do it right away up either utilt or fsmash him back off as he lands.

The most important thing to remember against marth’s is that you have to choose your moments well, since any hit on either player will usually be followed by a combo. A great way to start yours are to grab him after he comes down from the air, the most damaging combo that you can easily do to him is a dthrow to repeated fairs. However, the fairs start having a bit too much knockback around 70% and should usually be replaced by a uair or sex kick after the throw.

Fox-

Fox is actually a relatively easy fight for Samus. Like many characters, fox is easily combo’d by Samus; also, the usmash is actually very useful in fights against fox. He can’t get out of it at low percentages and it sets up very nicely for many different combos. As always with fox, the hardest thing can be getting around shine, shine combos, and grabs. while Samus is not susceptible to many of fox’s more devastating combos with these, she can still be damaged pretty good. The single thing I’d have to hate most about fox is that his dair can cancel out Samus’ uair, which is usually the best choice for defending from an aerial.

The biggest thing in any match is to know how to kill your opponent effectively. Against all fastfallers, the easiest way is off the side. However, thanks to fox’s recovery, doing so can be difficult sometimes. When edgeguarding, shoot missiles like normal, as they can screw him over just as bad, if not more so, than any other character. The thing to remember is, if he’s doing his over B or upB to the edge, do a down angled fsmash (not utilt, the fsmash can reach farther below the edge) or edgehog, although edgehog is probably better. If he’s going to try to do an upB and attempt to go over you, the best options here would be a utilt or a sh sex kick. And if he’s coming from below, a down angled fsmash is definitely the best thing you can do in this situation, because, if you position yourself correctly, it will hit him even if he does manage to sweet spot the ledge.

Now, knowing how to edgeguard is great, but it’s next to pointless if you can’t get the person off the edge in the first place. At low percentages (maybe 0-40%), the usmash will almost always hit him with all of the hits and leave him completely open for any follow up attack. The only time he will not be hit by all of the flame bursts is if he’s at high percentages, or if he’s at low and CC’s it. Just like this move demonstrates, fox will basically fall into anything you can hit him with, the fair and uair are especially good here, as they both combo and give decant amounts of damage. The only problem I’ve found with the fair is that’s he can actually fall out of it if he’s at too low of a percentage, so it comes in at the end of the combo more often so he’ll be at a high enough percent to stay in. Aside from those often neglected moves, nearly all of Samus’ attacks are useful in comboing and set ups.

Although combos are very important to string together whenever you can, you really don’t always have that option open. The bair is a good finisher to get fox off the edge, and can be led to by many attacks or simply done by shffl’ing it. Of course, Samus’ fsmash is good at getting fox away and often off the edge waiting to be gimped by missiles. Against most foxes I’ve played, I found that simply sh’ing around with sexkicks, dairs, and fairs can be very helpful, since these attacks have good priority over fox. Dtilt and dsmash are also great to use if fox is getting a bit too personal for your liking. While there has been a lot of debate over which one is faster and when it should be used, I’ll try to settle some of it here with my views on them. First of all, both come out on the same frame, the difference there is that dtilt has 9 frames less lag than the dsmash, but is actually the slowest tilt (in terms of total lag). As for when each should be used, I advocate dtilt at mid percentages (30-75%) while dsmash should be used at other times, the reason for this is that when used against fox, the dtilt does not send him very high, but he can go very far away with DI, around those mid percentages though, the DI can be followed easily and a variety of attacks can be done. In other percentages, the dsmash is better to use for a couple reasons, at lower than the dtilt range, it will hit farther away and can get fox off the edge at a low percentage because of the trajectory, at high percentages, it doesn’t have too great of a chance to kill, but will knock fox far side to side, allowing for edgeguarding.

Though it may sound simple, I base the usefulness of moves based on two deciding factors:
1) Comboability – Can you lead into any other attacks from this move, making a relatively weak move turn into one which leads to massive amounts of damage.
2) Lead to edgeguarding? – This is for moves with no apparent combos stemming from them, but can still be considered very useful if they put you in a situation where you can edgeguard, which I believe is Samus is best at.

Another big thing about fighting a fox is how often projectiles should be used, since he has that wonderful reflector. I say, spam missiles all you want, just make sure that you missile cancel them and, if he’s not off the edge, only shoot one at a time at a given height. This is so that if he does reflect a missile canceled missile and you are running/wding in behind it, you can simply shffl a meteor to usmash/bair/fsmash/anything that isn’t upB because he’ll be stuck in the shine and chances are that his DI won’t go too far to be followed. So for missiles, you’re usually safe from them since you won’t have lag and are free to dodge or jump or whatever, the real problem comes from the charge beam. While I think charge beams should be used during an open spot in a combo in place of a sex kick or something else where you jump next to him, sometimes a charge beam just gets reflected. In this case, the smartest thing you can do is either shield if you’re on the ground or air dodge, obviously. However, oftentimes you will just get hit and simply need to learn to be smarter with the beam. So basically, missile like you would most other characters, but use the beam a bit more carefully, but it really shouldn’t be too much of a problem, not too many foxes try to reflect everything after trying to reflect a missile and getting dair’d.

While there is A LOT you can do to fox, he can also screw you pretty badly. His dair has priority over many of Samus’ aerials or the two will cancel, so protection from above is a bit hard. My advice is to go ahead and try to uair him out of the dair, usmash, or shield the attack and regroup a bit. Of course, the other option, and often the one that works best is to simply wd back and fsmash him right before he lands, however, he’ll probably catch on after awhile and avoid it. The uair is a pretty safe option, as it can usually go over the dair or cancel it if nothing else, but keep tapping A while holding up, this way, if it’s canceled you’ll start another one quickly. As for the usmash, this really isn’t too reliable, but can be used sporadically to catch the fox off guard and se up for your own combo. The last option, shielding, can be very risky sometimes, if you know the fox to drill shine to grab, then this probably won’t be the most intelligent thing to do. However, if the fox tends to drill shine usmash, then this is one of the better options, but it would be a good idea to lightshield the attacks, though lightshield has more stun, while in it, it’s unlikely that you will get hit by the usmash since it fully covers your feet.

That’s for if he’s coming at you from the air with an aerial that goes well into a shine (so any aerial I guess). If you are above him, this is THE MOST DANGEROUS place you can be while fighting a fox, especially at high percentages. To get back down to the stage you have a few options, the first is obviously bomb to avoid the uairs and bairs, but other options include trying to sex kick through, dair and meteor him to the ground, or air dodging towards the ground. Bombs are always the most reliable in this circumstance, boosting you out of uair range and sometimes even hitting fox. The major downside to them are that it will often take a very long time to get down, because usually you’ll be close enough to where the uair hit the bomb that you’ll receive a boost, and since you have to keep doing it, you end up staying in the air a long time. Another thing that comes from being airborne so long is that the bombs will not always protect you; sometimes the first hit of the uair will take it out, leaving the second hit for you.

While the bombs may be the most reliable, they don’t really help you much in the way of getting fox away from you so you can safely return to the stage, this is where the dair and sex kick come in. The dair is usually my second choice from the bombs, it hits fox down to the ground so you can come down in safety. I prefer this over the sex kick because it has a larger window with which to hit fox and during that time, has more priority over the uair while many times sex kick will simply trade blows. My philosophy on it is, if you don’t bomb, try to sex kick if you’re at low percentages while fox is at high, otherwise, go for a dair or bombs to return. The last and probably most risky thing to do is to just try and airdodge through the attack. This may not sound very smart, since fox can just ff back down and jump back up quickly, but that really shouldn’t be too big of a deal if you don’t do this often and only try it when close to the ground or a platform.

Besides aerials, really the only thing of fox’s that you need to worry about is the usmashes, but even these aren’t too big of a problem. The dair and bair are great for hitting fox out of it, just make sure that you time them very well (and the bair hits with the sweetspot). Other than that, fox’s attacks aren’t too intimidating for a Samus, being grabbed isn’t a problem since hardly any of his grab combos work on Samus. For dash attacks and fsmashes, a wd back to fsmash is usually the most obvious and useful option. The main thing to do against fox is to get him off the edge as quickly as possible, because he should die once he is.

Edgeguarding: (For the 6 neutral stages, so I may mention some stage specific places, like where to stand)

For purposes of making this easier on me and getting rid of a lot of amiguity, I'm basing these on when the opponent goes at least off into the magnifying glass on the screen. I might make some comments on height, but Samus' attacks generally send the opponent upwards as well as sideways, so the opponent hypothetically starts above the stage. If a lot of you complain that this is more or less useless since the opponent is a high percent anyway, then I will try to get a few people together and compile a more comprehensive look into edgeguarding and various techniques.

I have to get some basics out of the way first that apply to all characters. First of all, I acknowledge edgehogging is always an option, so I will not mention it for any of these. While there are some tricks to it, they are generally the same and moer or less involve not looking like you will edgehog, then doing it. If someone wants to type up a post with good ideas on edgehogging, I will edit it slightly (mainly if there are grammatical errors and such) and then add it to this section and credit you. I strongly advocate the use of smash missiles over homing. I rarely find homing useful, as they're really only good for hitting out of the second jump, but usually the opponent is too low for that. I've also found that people can actually be helped by these, if they upB into them and they trade hits. Obviously a character like Marth would have his recovery severaly hampered by one, so I will make a special note when it arises. Back to smash missiles, I think they should be shot pretty much all the time, if not to hit the opponent, to come at least pretty close and maybe scare them into doing something or making them waste a jump or ff. The dfsmash (dfsmash = down angled forward smash) is a very good tactic to use on the edge, as it has very high priority and range, and can hit below the edge farther and for a longer period of time (utilt's hitbox is below the edge for 1 frame, dsfmash's hitbox is below for 4). I use this in nearly all situations and find it to work very well. I will however, be mentioning it in nearly every character section, possibly touching on spacing or timing for it. The utilt is pretty much interchangeable with the dfsmash, and is more useful on characters that have semi-unpredictable returning heights, so you can stand back a bit and hit higher up. However the priority is markedly lower, so you'll trade hits more often. On the other hand though, it is faster to repeat, so if the person techs the hit, you can do something faster than you could with the dfsmash. So any comments on the dfsmash are fairly negligent if you highly prefer the utilt, I just like the easier timing and spacing. Anyway, with that out of the way, on to the characters.

Doc - Most docs recover around stage level, and use their jumps and downB predictably. Despite this, I have a hard time edgeguarding effectively against Doc. When you shoot missiles, he will usually be able to cape them back pretty easily, so I find to just shoot one and force him to cape, then wait for the second jump and go out for a sex kick or bair (although bair is assuming you know he's going to downB and leave himself open). The sex kick almost always trades hits with the upB, so if you are at a high percent remember to wall tech if you need to. Bombs really do nothing against him, as the upB either takes it out or warps far enough to not have it hit. The same goes for trying to dfsmash him, because it's just about always that the upB hits you or i sout of range but able to warp and grab the edge. I'm not sure about the utilt, as I haven't tried it extensively against Doc. If he techs the attack, you can't do much to counter, if you utilted, you may be able to shield, because most likely he is going to just upB immediately and hit you. However, if he just fell, try to hit him out of the upB again and hope he doesn't tech. If he techjumps, I think he'd just cape to turn around and then fall to upB, so try to hit him.

Mario - More or less the same as Doc, although he is liable to cape multiple times, so going off the stage doesn't always prove as successful. A little trick you can use sometimes is to run off facing him, and when you expect the cape, do a fair at him, but hopefully the cape has hit, so you bair. That's extremely unlikely to happen, but it's happened randomly a few times to me. Just mainly shoot missiles and if you see him downB, get to his level quickly and shoot a missile or beam if you have one. The dfsmash works slightly better on him, although it is still likely to trade or get hit through entirely. The same goes for mario as Doc if the Mario techs the attack.

Luigi - Luigi is much easier to edgeguard than the other Mario brother. His overB, which he will always be using, falls at a steady rate, so it is pretty easy to time missiles to hit him, best of all is the fact that they almost always hit through his overB. When he goes below the edge, I usually just wait below the edge for him to upB, which I try to hit him out of. If he techs, he can only upB really, so just keep trying to attack when he comes up.

Bowser - For Bowser i take the most simplistic approach. Missile pretty much the whole time, and then stand and dfsmash him and hope he doesn't tech. If he does, he'll probably upB immediately, so you're liable to get hit unless you can get a shield off. Using a dftilt in place of the dfsmash is safer in the even that he techs, as there is far less lag, but you also run a risk of being hit, as the dftilt doesn't have the priority that the dfsmash does.

Peach - Peach is definitely one of my least favorite characters to edgeguard, since she can stay above the stage so well. When she does, I usually just wd around below her, messing with my position like peaches do with theirs. When she starts to fall, go for the bair or possibly sex kick, although the bair leaves you much safer. She might airdodge the attack or evade it some other way, such as ffing the parasol, so the bair isn't alway s a good option, if you can trick her into doing one of the two, then you're at a good advantage. If she is off the edge, it is pretty easy to hit her with missiles, since if she tries to double jump, she will probably get hit anyway. When she is near the edge, there's hardly anything you can do, dfsmash doesn't work if she sweetspots due to the near invulnerability of the parasol, and bombs likewise are useless. If she techs she will either fall below and try to sweetspot again or techjump and try to float over/confuse you with a FF out of the parasol.

Yoshi - While very easily gimped at higher percentages, he's very hard to deal with if he's off the edge at a low percent. One trick you can use, granted that you have a fully charged beam, when he's still below about 50% is to shoot the beam into his double jump path, so that he'll either get hit, or be forced to aerial or airdodge to stop his momentum. If he gets hit, great, you got a free 25% out of it, and can try and follow up with tilts when he is landing, or uairs if he is above, to get him back off the stage, or at least to continure to build damage. If he used something to stop his momentum, you have one of two options, though both have the same idea. If he airdodged, use missiles, a sex kick, bair, or a fsmash to get him back off the ledge (as he hopefully wasn't too far above the edge), at which point he will just fall to his death. If you're on Yoshi Story, following him down with a sex kick is a good idea, just in case the cloud happens to pop up, and he most likely won't tech falling on it. If the Yoshi did an attack, then do the same as above, but fsmash is most likely going to be the best option. At higher percents, the dfsmash works great, as he has no upB to hit you with after a tech, his only option is to either techjump and try to WD onstage or simply tech and airdodge upwards. With both, you should be out of lag from the dfsmash and able to hit him again. Another option that can often work better than the dfsmash if they're recovering in a predictable path is to lay a bomb in front of them. At high percents, an off stage sex kick can also turn disastrous for Yoshi. A general rule fo thumb for breaking Yoshi out of his double jump is that the higher priority it is, the lower percent it will affect him at. The different levels are:

1) Gives him percent but doesn't move him in any direction.
2) Gives percent and stops the double jump's momentum, but otherwise has no knockback.
3) Gives percent and full knockback out of the double jump.

As for Yoshi using his egg to sweetspot, a fsmash does just fine at breaking him out of it just before he reaches the edge. Missiles will also work, but sometimes Yoshi will get lucky and go through the missile.

DK - Missiles to the bottom of his upB (when he's farther away, his upB will go above the edge quite a bit in order for him to make it up, just have to time it correctly). If DK is below the edge and just coming up to sweetspot, dfsmash does the trick. If he techs and upBs again, you won't be hit by the sweetspot, so make sure and try to CC the upB and dsmash him out of the upB and proceed to edgeguard on the other side of the stage. If you're at high percent and are getting hit by the upB, DI up and away as much as possible, as soon as his move is over, you can FF a sex kick on top of DK and hit him back off.

I’ll have the rest of it done soon. Post if you see any problems or if there's ANYTHING I should add/take out/change to make it clearer and better. Also, if there's anything you want to contribute, feel free to do so.

Peaches

Smash Lord
nice, covers all that it needs to. Though it is a little wierd to have 3 paragraphs on Shiek but no one else.

It would be nice to have a few setups listed, but with Samus most are pretty obvious. My favorite being down throw to charge blast. But you can only use it on average floatiness cahracters unfortunately.
You should put in something on the beam cancel, lol just kidding.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
ok, the reason i only have strats against shiek is because i'm not finished. i probably won't update it until i'm finished with it. There'll be like 5-10 character strategies, but tell me if you don't think my strategy against shiek is wrong/inaccurate/not good enough and i'll change it and it'll make the other ones better.

btw peaches.. there are 7 paragraphs.

and yes the game does do percentages with the decimals and every thing, but it doesn't make too much of a difference to be of much concern.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I was thinking of making character stratagies for Marth, Luigi, Falco, Doc, Shiek (obviously), maybe Bowser, Ganon, and maybe Jiggs (i haven't really played a good jiggs so maybe not). If anyone thinks those aren't needed or that i need some other ones, just tell me, it's really not that much of a hassle.

zitanix

Smash Cadet
I don't think Ganon or Bowser need vs strategies, but I would love Fox and Falco ones.

Edit-
And Peach.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Cap'n Crunch
ok, the reason i only have strats against shiek is because i'm not finished. i probably won't update it until i'm finished with it. There'll be like 5-10 character strategies, but tell me if you don't think my strategy against shiek is wrong/inaccurate/not good enough and i'll change it and it'll make the other ones better.

btw peaches.. there are 7 paragraphs.

and yes the game does do percentages with the decimals and every thing, but it doesn't make too much of a difference to be of much concern.
huh, interesting 7 paragraphs. perhaps I should quit the late night posting. . .
yes, those would be good charactesr to cover, especially if you do it about as well as with the shiek coverage.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
ok, so i'll put in peach and include falco also, but i think i'll still put in one for ganon, play frotaz and you'll see what i mean. Bowser won't be in i guess, he does seem like a counter kind of, but not too many play him, so it's probably not important.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Holy crap. . . I hadn't seen this guide yet James. Only the last post. Amazing job man, almost makes me want to do a fox one. But thats Azen or someone like that's job. Not mine.

Hong

The Strongest
I have a very good Samus, yet this guide was still useful to me and from your post I can tell you are the more skilled Samus player.
Can't wait to see the rest of those character counters. ^ ^

Jasona

Smash Ace
wow, I haven't posted in a long time (read every day, but not posted). However, I think I should add to samus's up+b description:
While it does not do alot of damage or have knockback, if you DI away after the initial hit, then it does have knockup (or is knockback just a general word for any direction?). Thats what gives up+b some priority. When you're all out of options and a smash is heading your way... try this move with some DI

Aftermath

Smash Champion
yeah, i'll add that soon, but a couple things: when you say DI away, you mean samus right? because i think that wouldn't be called DI as much as air control (want to get the wording right). Also, the last hit of it actually does have knockback in an upwards direction and a little right, so would this just throw them out early and allow them to recover before you finish the move and take advantage of that? I'll test it some, but if someone can answer those things it would be of help.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.

Hong

The Strongest
In a recent small tourney with friends (around 12ish people) I got in an encounter with a good Peach. I won, but I'd still like to know counters and tricks against her.

She floats away when I try the sex kick and she drops down when a fire a missile which brings it to a ground battle. Which I win in because I am the better player. But there has to be SOMEWAY I could bring her to the ground in my favor.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Team Rocket's Rockin! Talkin trouble walkin trouble double trouble big trouble's gonna follow you, they're gonna capture Pikachu...

Ooooooo!!!!!

>.>

<.<

DMStudios

Smash Journeyman
Good guide

Very good guide, Cap'n. Everything you said in it, I witnessed during my tourney/get together. You should put a "how to deal with Link" section in there as well, as you had a lot of trouble beating my Link.

Just to say it, I showed my friend Samus' recovery ability (Samus gets knocked off stage - bomb jump, bomb jump, air dodge grapple ledge, wall jump, second jump). He was amazed and astonished. He looked like this: :crazy:

I've been playing as Samus recently so I could use stuff like this for my own playing. But also, I use some SKYPAL knowledge that I garnered while up there. Homing missile cancel, grapple while opponent blocks the missile. What fun!!
later

Gobolt

Smash Apprentice
Good guide, it'll help my Samus become better. I've only one thing to add at the moment: I think that Fair is good when coming back to the stage, if you have your second jump intact. Be somewhat close (that you can either reach the edge or land on the stage) to the edge, and a bit below too. Use your second jump, and then quickly use Fair, it should come out so that the flames go in a straight line because of you jumping. You can either go for the edge and grab it (assuming that you were high enough) or land on the stage and l-cancel it, leading to an combo (well, against medium-weigh characters at least).

But this ain't tested against humans though. And in has it's shortcomings too: if the opponent is coming from above or saw it coming, there is a good chance for him/her to retaliate. Though this can be minimised by changing the timing of when you start the move.

Blind

Honorbound
Well, you've already gone into detail about handling shiek players... what advice do you have against a good fox player who shines a lot? It reduces the effectiveness of missile cancelling (but I guess you could use it as a diversion to keep Fox distracted so he wouldn't shffl sex kick or uair while you rushed in. I mean.... if you just want to try and play a waiting game he's going to win, because his blaster will whittle you away and force you to charge him. If you stay away, eventually the percents will be unbalanced and he can just own you in close quarters.
Since fox is so fast, strong, and he has the reflector to reduce some of Samus' capabilities, what do you recommend to hedge your bet a bit more?

Edit: I also just found that I'm having trouble combatting Marth while he's edgeguarding. My brother uses his dtilt at the edge and I can't get back up. Can you guys give me any advice on beating this _highly annoying_ strategy? (I have no problems normally because I can just bomb jump over head, but if he gets me farther away and I can't keep high up his dtilt ***** me)

Aftermath

Smash Champion
ok, just finished writing the marth strategy section, next will be fox, and i hope to finish one other one before the week's over (either peach or falcon). I'll probably go back and make changes to some of the strategies after i finish or if you point out some things that aren't reliable or need to put in. also if something just doesn't make sense to you or know something better, just post it and i'll put it in (but no more crap about doing upb, as i am averse to the move and don't see too much use to it, as it only does 11% and has no combo oppurtunities)

Rodimus

Smash Journeyman
Rural Kerning City (if such a place were to exist)
nice strategy guide, i used to think that samus was practically only a character used by smash noobs, but when i saw Wes' stuff, it opened up a new window to samus users and after reading your guide, i have a different opinion for samus, she is one of the best characters to use. Thanks.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
HonorBound is right, Fox is a certified nuisance to Samus. I play Samus as my main, but I suffer to a very fast Fox (occasionally, when my friend is in 'the zone'), and find Marth a joy at these times, at least by comparison. Fox has more speed, more options less lag and more prioroity in many matchups of their moves. This leaves Samus with little to no options and results in a frustrating match. :rolleyes:

So Cap'n, what are you thoughts on Fox?

Oh and btw HB, the only surefire way to totally avoid Marth's d-tilt every time is to grapple the sweetspot of the stage. Retracting you beam will then result in immediate ledge grab and invincibility briefly. Everything else is a small risk.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
When I play foxes I normally have no problem at all (but then agian I play with people who are amazed every time I wave dash...) I try to keep them ocipied with missles and uncharged chargebeams. while I go in with nairs. bombs also help me alot vs fox.

(man I need to go to a tourny...)

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Less than Three, I'm talking about a high level Fox player, not your average or casual gamer. Thats where the problem lies. People impressed by wavedashing clearly arent close to what I mean.

Oh, and DrumStickz, I LOVE your little man in that sig trying to get through the door! ^^

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Foxes arent too hard for me. They can be annoying but Missle Canceling and Missle Combos get him bad. And even if he reflects one of the missles, the 2nd missle you shot from the missle cancel will collide into that one canceling it out. Samus' downsmash works wonders on Fox and the rest of the fast fallers. And Samus' Up+Smash hits them more since they fall fast. I suppose her Up-tilt hurts them badly to since it send them at a certain angle. Marth is more of a problem to me cause of his reach and tip advantage, at least I can out range Fox with my Samus. But both those Sheik and Marth guides really helped. Best Samus guide Ive seen so far. But I was looking forward to see the explanation of Samus' Super Wavedash. Thanks for making me more knowledgeable about my 2nd best character Samus.

BT!P

Smash Rookie
Okay, I really dont see how Marth beats a good Samus. With the Barrage of Missles and Charge shots along with her great WD her bombs and her long grab range. along with her high proirity sex kick. Preety much Samus's Whole arsenal can be aimed towards marth.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Originally posted by BT!P
Okay, I really dont see how Marth beats a good Samus. With the Barrage of Missles and Charge shots along with her great WD her bombs and her long grab range. along with her high proirity sex kick. Preety much Samus's Whole arsenal can be aimed towards marth.
ITs no where near that simple marth can cut through missles and bombs and noramally just go around charge beams. And since many of samus' moves lack the range and speed of marth's once he gets close it can become very hard to gain control of the battle.
(luckily I don't have to worry about such things, my samus can beat anyone I play around here -_-)

Patooty

Smash Ace
Fox

I guess there's not too much you can do against a good fox player. I got used to it though since there's one near me. If you're having trouble with him then try to keep at close range cuz samus will die from afar. Samus' sex kick owns a lot of fox's moves. Hmm.. if you're having trouble getting close then try launching a missle, and then running after it. If he shines, then jump at him and sex kick accordingly. You can pretty much carry on the fight from there. If fox has you up in the air it's usually not a good idea to fight him because up his u-air. Of course there are ways to hit him but unless you're really good at timing your attacks, his u+air will get you.

Hmm.. What do you guys suggest for Peach? I don't get a lot of Peach practice and when I fought this one guy all he did was turnip spam. Turnips come out faster than samus' missile so I'm beat there. If I get close to him he'll d-smash, and if I try to come in from the air then he'll u-smash.. Any suggestions?

Juce

Smash Ace
Re: Fox

Originally posted by Patooty
Hmm.. if you're having trouble getting close then try launching a missle, and then running after it. If he shines, then jump at him and sex kick accordingly. You can pretty much carry on the fight from there.
doing her spike would be better. it sends him up and you can jump up and sweet spot a back air. that can kill at lower %. and you can combo out of it better

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Ive tried Samus against a good Marth. The only projectile that really helps her in that battle is Charge Shot. Missles on occasion like when you knock Marth away use a missle. Missle to Charge Shot combos work well. But if you dont have the charge shot, then Marth will not be worried about you. You have to give the Marth player a Mind Game headache to win, basically, lol. As for close range. WD back to fsmash. sex kick to super missle. And some other combos depending on where Marth DI's.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
When playing a marth it's good to not use too many projectiles. first of all it will confuse the heck out of whoever is playing marth, and hopefully it will through off thier strategy. I'm not saying don't use projectiles at all because they help a lot of course, but you definitely can't rely on just missles and charge shots. Also, a good thing to do is let the marth come to you. If they are forced to come at you, you will have a close range advantage. When marth is moving it takes longer for the attack to come out and you can counter with a forward tilt or anything but forward tilt is best. Now I know you're saying what if he comes at me short hopping. Use the up tilt to your advantage it's great for keeping them away. An upwards angled forward tilt wroks pretty good too. Just don't jump and try to ariel attack marth. They have more priority than you and the sword is long enough to get through a sex kick and hit you in the body. Of course, taking chances is much more fun than just sitting there, so play however you like.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that i finally updated my guide again. i added in fox section, i think it's a bit too general, so if you guys could tell me what i should add to it/clarify, i don't think i really went into much detail. anyway, i'm going to try and finish it soon, but i got a ton of schoolwork, so we'll see.

and samusedaway, i have absolutely no idea what you were saying in your post. you said do a forward tilt or anything that isn't an ftilt. anyway, probably just me not reading well..

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Hey aftermath great job on the guide. Here come some opinions and suggestions. On the specific character guides, you should also point out some counter levels. Mention that your chances against a marth improve greatly on Final D...etc. Also, you didn't include anything on samus's dash A, its %age, its range, its priority, or its usefulness. I think it would be something to add just for knowledge sake(unless i didn't see it, god don't flame me if i did). Another thing that i think is invaluable to samus, is how she is a character that can make great use of shield wavedashing. With a plain wavedash, as you stated, it is smart at times to wavedash into the character as he tries to pull off an arial attack, that way youll end up behind him and pull of a bsmash. But a shield wavedash would give you a lot more protection, just incase ur timing is off. It is great for those moments where you are stuck with ur shield up. You can't grab them, it would not be smart to roll behind them, and your shield is getting weak, just pull off a shield wavedash to get behind the enemy incase the upB is getting predictable. Great guide. Just giving my 2 cents.

Hong

The Strongest
Re: Fox

Originally posted by Patooty
Hmm.. What do you guys suggest for Peach? I don't get a lot of Peach practice and when I fought this one guy all he did was turnip spam. Turnips come out faster than samus' missile so I'm beat there. If I get close to him he'll d-smash, and if I try to come in from the air then he'll u-smash.. Any suggestions?
Remember, the Turnip is a thrown item and not a true projectile. Therefore, it can be caught. It's very easy to catch. If you have problems catching it, WD back a little to give you more space. I scare all of my Peach opponents by combining their turnips into my projectile spamming.

Try this as well.
Missile Cancel, Missile. When Peach realizes she can't stop this, she'll try jumping. So add
Jump, Missile.

This controls Peach's aerial.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Can anyone effectively do Samus' Super Wavedash? I try and try, only to make it come out like random. SO far I know... you have to lay a bomb, then when your in morph ball mode you tap left and right very quickly, and you want the morph ball to like slide under the bomb, like bomb limbo. Or am I missing a step or incorrect about something?

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wes can do it almost 100% consistently. I can do it consistently enough to use it in a match if I get myself in 'the groove' with it. You just gotta very quickly snap left right to go right or right left to go left just about before you're landing. It's definitely more of a snapping motion. I dunno, I just do it.

Top Bottom