• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After Ultimate, will the next Smash be a complete reboot?

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I could also see a kind of Metroidvania, guide different Nintendo characters through dungeons, just like Subspace Emissary, but more fleshed out and better executed...
Combining this with your idea you could even organize it as series (see the Warriors games for example), so one game for Mario, one for Zelda, one for Kirby, one for Pokemon, one for Fire Emblem...

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Here's my two cents: I'd be fine with cuts in a Smash 6....

If the other characters are integrated back in over time via Free DLC.

I can understand that it would take too much time to program everyone in for base game while adding new characters. So make cuts if you have to. But I don't want to pay to get the cut characters back. Exceptions maybe being for Third Parties.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
In a way yes, and expect 1/3 of the roster to be cut. It'll go back to small numbers.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As long as K. Rool and Ridley are playable in the reboot that’s fine by me
What do you think of my ideal roster for a reboot?

Super Mario Bros.:
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf*

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Kirby:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight*

StarFox:
Fox
Falco*
Wolf*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff*
Mewtwo*

EarthBound:
Ness*

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon*

Fire Emblem:
Marth*
Roy*

WarioWare:
Wario

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena*

Game & Watch:
Mr. Game & Watch*

* means Unlockable

15 starts and 15 unlockables. 30 playable characters. Good start for an reboot.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What do you think of my ideal roster for a reboot?

Super Mario Bros.:
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf*

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Kirby:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight*

StarFox:
Fox
Falco*
Wolf*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff*
Mewtwo*

EarthBound:
Ness*

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon*

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Roy*

WarioWare:
Wario

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena*

Game & Watch:
Mr. Game & Watch*

* means Unlockable

15 starts and 15 unlockables. 30 playable characters. Good start for an reboot.
That's like perfect

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's like perfect
Thanks I pretty much base it off of the original roster but expanded as well as characters who were originally going to be but were cut like Bowser, King Dedede, Marth, Mewtwo and Pit as well as throwing a Retro character in to give in more of that nostalgia.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm kinda worried that if Smash gets rebooted and loses 1/3 the cast like Sakurai said would happen, the movesets will just remain the same. There are lots of things some of the 64-Melee characters could do that would be fun in Smash.

If movesets remain the same, what would be the point of a reboot?

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Can't really top Ultimate with everyone returning.
I personally would love a reboot. Just burn everything and start from scratch. Make it about a game celebrating Nintendo's rich history again. It might make some fans unhappy but I think a reboot is needed for this bloated series.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Can't really top Ultimate with everyone returning.
I personally would love a reboot. Just burn everything and start from scratch. Make it about a game celebrating Nintendo's rich history again. It might make some fans unhappy but I think a reboot is needed for this bloated series.
How is it not about celebrating Nintendo's rich history right now?

If you mean that the earlier characters have outdated portrayals, I've already said my part about that. But in terms of character selection, we have a very good mix of the obscure and big-names. Even recently rising stars like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and Splatoon get their due.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
No cuts was the thing I wanted most and we got even better with everyone coming back, I don't think characters like Cloud and Ryu would be used a third time, Sakurai must have had to do lots of work to keep everyone.

I'm hoping they will prolong this games life with DLC such as characters, stages, alt costumes...they'd be stupid not to take advantage every character probably has a cool alt people want...and patches to keep the game fresh.

Since I feel like after all of this I doubt they can create the amount of hype and interest in a reboot with less content.

Of course...a reboot would only be nice imo because we could possibly have things like:

Cutting :ultjigglypuff::ultpichu:and other irrelevant characters.

Maybe finally give :ultganondorf: a proper moveset. That goes for lots of the characters that have new abilities that arent represented in smash, lots of outdated movesets.

And maybe cut half the FE characters too.

Hmm, maybe a reboot wouldnt be the worst thing...but I hope they expand on this games lifespan.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
No cuts was the thing I wanted most and we got even better with everyone coming back, I don't think characters like Cloud and Ryu would be used a third time, Sakurai must have had to do lots of work to keep everyone.

I'm hoping they will prolong this games life with DLC such as characters, stages, alt costumes...they'd be stupid not to take advantage every character probably has a cool alt people want...and patches to keep the game fresh.

Since I feel like after all of this I doubt they can create the amount of hype and interest in a reboot with less content.

Of course...a reboot would only be nice imo because we could possibly have things like:

Cutting :ultjigglypuff::ultpichu:and other irrelevant characters.

Maybe finally give :ultganondorf: a proper moveset. That goes for lots of the characters that have new abilities that arent represented in smash, lots of outdated movesets.

And maybe cut half the FE characters too.

Hmm, maybe a reboot wouldnt be the worst thing...but I hope they expand on this games lifespan.
I'm personally glad they won't make it a game-as-service like Splatoon or SF5. That approach is a big hit-or-miss, IMO.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Have they made a pokemon reboot yet? The main mechanics of the franchise have stayed the same, they add about one hundred new character for each main installment, it has survived jumping many different graphical upgrades and yet it still is played competitively. Why can't they do that with Smash Bros? Besides the 3rd party not wanting to stay on, because if only one company decided against it they would obviously face the backlash.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
When people suggest that devs should do a reboot, I see it as them selfishly telling them to throw away everything they've worked for and accomplished so far, burn the foundations and demolish what they've managed to built out of it for no discernible reason other that they just decided for them that they can't handle future projects. Go back to zero, because reasons. Let Nintendo and their devs decide what they can do with Smash and if they can handle it when the time comes.
Reboots tend to happen when there is a lock out in continuity that makes it difficult for a writer or creator to follow through, when a work has deteriorated so badly that they need to start over, or when you want to take a very old work and reimagine it for newer generations. Smash isn't currently in need for any of that.

And rebooting just for the chance of giving Ganon a more fleshed out moveset or cutting a couple of characters for looking at you the wrong way is a very, very small mindset and not a good reason to start over with a clean slate. Add to that most veterans aren't in need for such a desperate change as some might claim; how would you retool some like DK? His moveset is referential and reflective of his strength, and he hasn't gained any notorious new abilities. Most you could do is give him is Coconut Gun which is outdated by almost 20 years. And how about Fox and Falcon whose moveset were made up? Or Yoshi who can do almost everything he does in his platform games? Or Kirby who has a mesh of his abilities? We have a topic discussing why most of this movesets are fine the way they are. I can almost guarantee that if a reboot was done, Mario would still have his Fireball and his Mario 64 punch and kicks moves because of how easy they are to translate into a fighting game.
Sorry, but even though we could a more unique Dorf that doesn't quite make up for losing 60% of the roster. Any way you look at it, having a massive cut of characters is objectively going to be a downgrade in every way.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
True, they'd have to give us some pretty big options if they want us to buy what would seem to be a downgrade.

With much less characters a SSE2 is more likely tho...that could be something to tempt us (ME)

D

Deleted member

I wonder if people would by a Smash reboot if was a traditional 2D fighter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's a thought that occurred to me but what if the next one was say a Vs. crossover like Smash Bros. vs. Capcom or even Smash Bros. vs. Shonen Jump? It'd be a new yet unique and different approach.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’d personally would like to see it improve, rather than have a complete reboot, but that’s just me.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I like to think of a reboot. Maybe have the gameplay be 2.5D like Tekken? Rethink the movesets. Have a really weird character roster with rare veterans. Start off with a new original eight/twelve, have the original twelve (and Master Hand) be the last characters you unlock, while you start off with Mach Rider, Scyther, Donkey Kong Jr., Lyn, Ninten and Sylux. New pace to the game, being faster, new mechanics and stages, as well as a new style, maybe something more realistic (Brawl?), or perhaps something drawn. I don't know, I think for a game that is going to have less content than Ultimate, it will need to be crazy to sell.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly, I really like the idea of Everyone is Here. Once you're in, you're here to stay. Since this game perfected almost every other aspect of Smas, they could simply focus on adding lots of newcomers next game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Personally I think the next best thing would be a Vs. crossover series with the following Capcom, Sega or Shonen Jump. Personally I'd love for Shonen Jump. Gaming's most iconic company against manga's most iconic company and were also talking about gaming icons Mario, Link and Kirby against iconic manga characters Goku, Naruto and Luffy. I mean what else is there to say?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Losing the crossover aspect is the worst idea I can imagine.
I’m just saying, it will definitely take over ten years to top this smash, so I’ll take a series-specific version over an inferior version in the future. just an opinion, no need to get upset.

Goosey_021

Smash Cadet
I’d be fine with a reboot if it meant new, fresh movesets for old characters (e.g. :ultmario:, :ultganondorf:) and at least SOME newcomers instead of just trimming the cast down to ~30 characters.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I’d be fine with a reboot if it meant new, fresh movesets for old characters (e.g. :ultmario:, :ultganondorf:) and at least SOME newcomers instead of just trimming the cast down to ~30 characters.
This.

I really don't think "Everyone is here" is here to stay, it's probably just for this game, I hope I'm wrong but getting all these characters and extra content from other companies was probably a huge pain in the ass.

I like the idea of a reboot, No more Jigglypuff, Pichu, Dr. Mario, etc (And maybe rep Fire Emblem appropriately and accurately). And yeah updated movesets for the characters that are kept.

:ultmario: - Cappy anyone?
:ultluigi: - Could finally have Luigi's Mansion present in his moveset (instead of just spinning)
:ultganondorf: - Could not be based off a race car driver and actually be the floating evil wizard he should have been.

I'd hope this reboot wouldn't have Sakurai making decisions, his OCD really lead to some stupid ****.

Last edited:

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
I think a reboot would be absolutely pointless, bringing every vet back and then adding highly requested characters to only (possibly) trim the roster by 40 or so. Then what would the reboot be and what could they do with the reboot make forward progress with the series without it feeling underwhelming compared to ultimate.

D

Deleted member

Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say a reboot is needed. Next Smash game could just continue with a smaller cast.

Xigger

Smash Lord
A reboot wouldn't be good. It only avoids the problems that was caused by the Pandora's box that is Ultimate. The curse of Ultimate is accepting what Smash is about: crossovers of video game all-stars. This amount of crossover in a video game is legendary, and is easily the best part of Super Smash Bros. The idea that a reboot will avoid the responsibility of bringing more characters together would destroy that.

Instead, I think it's much more important to address the problem directly: There is a large amount of characters, and development time is limited. And Smash Bros. is already embracing that.

We're all aware that Smash Ultimate is embracing Echo characters as a solution to quickly add characters. This is definite proof that character representation has value without unique gameplay mechanics. And the fans are very receptive towards it, so this trend is likely to continue.

No, I believe the answer to Pandora's box is not to avoid the issue, but to embrace it. Add more Echo characters than unique characters, remove the direct connection between characters and multiplicative gameplay balancing. Take it a step further, make more alternate costumes characters like Alph and the Koopalings, downgrade existing fighters to Echos, sell DLC costumes, and more DLC in general. Over 10% of Smash 4's fighters were DLC, and I would love to see Ultimate at 20 or 30% DLC.

One more point: Ultimate is embracing eSports, which is a great post-release revenue source, and also encourages a bigger post-release dev team. These are positive signs pointing towards more DLC, better quality updates, and steady game development instead of title releases. I wouldn't be disappointed with updates and ports rather than completely new releases.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I said this once and I'll say it again. The next approach should be a Vs. crossover fighting game with the following.

-Capcom
-Sega
-Shonen Jump

It'd bring something new to the franchise and also unique at the same time.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'd be down with this; I'm fully expecting the re-boot roster to be something like 20-30 characters. Though that said, Sonic and Pac-Man are probably going to stick around-- 3rd parties in general have become a bigger attraction for Smash than any 1st party, so completely axing them would be dumb.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I feel like a Reboot that changes the core gameplay would be the next logical step after Ultimate but at the same time I don't feel like it would ever happen. Nintendo isn't very keen on doing that sort of thing with their major once-a-console releases. Especially if it still sells very well. Pokemon has been the same game for years, and that's probably one of the biggest criticisms against the series, but it still sells gangbusters every time, so there's really no incentive to change the core gameplay.

I do think they should just re-release Ultimate in the future and add onto it instead of starting over from square one again.

But if they were to reboot the series in the hypothetical future, I think i'd be mostly okay with it if they handled it well and didn't sacrifice the representation of more obscure and irrelevant Nintendo characters. That's my biggest fear about anyone other than Sakurai taking the reins of Smash.

I actually think it'd be fun to try out a 3D fighter as a reboot. I have One Piece Grand Battle/Grand Adventure in mind as a Base for what the gameplay would be like. It's just as simple and accessible as Smash, with advance techniques for more skilled players. Though not an exact copy of course.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Yeah, don't think a reboot would be a good idea. If you think it is a good idea because you want :ultganondorf: to not have the same moveset as :ultfalcon:, your desires would be answered in the worst way possible. :ultganondorf: wouldn't share a moveset with :ultfalcon: because there wouldn't be a :ultfalcon: to have the same moveset as.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think that they could make a Smash Bros game in a 3D Arena. Like the battle mode in a Starfox game on Gamecube (I don't remember it's name). Or, maybe they will do a Super Smash Bros, Battle Royale. As long as the gameplay change, that's okay to me. The formula need to evolve. Maybe transform it into a Hyrule Warriors-like.
I don't care (as long it's not a Super Cooking Bros).

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, don't think a reboot would be a good idea. If you think it is a good idea because you want :ultganondorf: to not have the same moveset as :ultfalcon:, your desires would be answered in the worst way possible. :ultganondorf: wouldn't share a moveset with :ultfalcon: because there wouldn't be a :ultfalcon: to have the same moveset as.
Alternatively, they both end up in... because they decided to re-align them as pure clone pair to pad out the roster. I could see that happening with a lot of characters-- I'd imagine Echoes would also get to stick around because hey, that's more fighters on the roster for a small fraction of the development time.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Are you just mad that Pokémon is “over-repped”?
Mad no, just they should cut irrelevant pokemon.

Jigglypuff was only added in 64 because minor appearances in the anime and Japan loved her.

Pichu was just an easy pikachu clone, and a ****ty gen 2 rep.

Facts.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Mad no, just they should cut irrelevant pokemon.

Jigglypuff was only added in 64 because minor appearances in the anime and Japan loved her.

Pichu was just an easy pikachu clone, and a ****ty gen 2 rep.

Facts.
True facts, but there's another fact about their significance in video game history in the beloved game series Super Smash Bros..

Something something Everyone is here.

Top Bottom