• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After Ultimate, will the next Smash be a complete reboot?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The way this game is shaping up to be I'd say just port Ultimate to the next console and call it a day lol
This honestly.

Though if Sakurai is gone and if this next game is gonna be a straight up port, then am NOT as confident that all the third party developers are willing to lend their characters out again.

Ultimate’s concept is BOUND to sell. A straight up port is NOT. That’s a lot more risky to invest in than Ultimate, which is still on Switch and Switch has massive third party support for a Nintendo console. Besides, didn’t Nintendo say that they want the Switch to have a longer running time? If so, with continued DLC over a 2 year span or so, don’t expect a new Smash for another decade or so.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the game were to be rebooted this would be my choice for the roster. Spoiled to avoid taking up space.

Super Mario Bros.:
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf*

Metroid
Samus
Ridley*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco*
Wolf*

Kirby:
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff*
Mewtwo*

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon*

Earthbound:
Ness*

Fire Emblem:
Marth*
Roy*

WarioWare:
Wario

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena*

Game & Watch:
Mr. Game & Watch*

* means Unlockable

I kind of base it off how the Smash originated with the original 12 but expanded with a few more characters including anti-heroes and villains that appeared in the early games as well as characters who were planned for 64 such as Bowser, Dedede, Mewtwo, Marth and Pit as well as throwing one retro who was basically the first to give more of that nostalgia feel. Now that I think about it if done right using an nostalgia feel of an smaller roster that might have it get rather good sales.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Like I said before. If you evolve the series in an exciting new direction then people will be sold on that concept and a smaller roster won't matter.

But that new direction really needs to be something amazing.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Like I said before. If you evolve the series in an exciting new direction then people will be sold on that concept and a smaller roster won't matter.

But that new direction really needs to be something amazing.
if you do that it would stop being smash bros, just because you have nintendo characters in a fighting game don't make it smash.

what makes smash smash:

- nintendo and gaming characters fightning one another
- 2d platform fighter
- at least supports 4 players at one time
- percentage not healthbars

anything else will be a different game

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
How would smash fans react if the next smash bros was a crossover between platform-fighter crossovers. Super Smash bros x rivals of aether x Brawl Out

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, I kind of hope so. This game is shaping up to be so amazing, I just can't see how they're gonna top this one. It really seems like the only way the series can go from here is down if a major shake-up doesn't occur with the next installment. After this game, I'm hoping Sakurai steps away from his series satisfied and lets someone new take the reins and bring Smash into a new era, as this game certainly seems to be the end of one.
That, or just port Ultimate over to the next console with some extra content. I mean, I wouldn't complain.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
what makes smash smash:

- nintendo and gaming characters fightning one another
- 2d platform fighter
- at least supports 4 players at one time
- percentage not healthbars

anything else will be a different game
What if it was a 3D platform fighter?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think a 2d fighter is more of it's identity
I guess Super Mario 64 is not a Mario game. After all, 2D is Mario's identity.

Seriously you guys need to expand your idea of what a series can be.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My biggest problem with reboot ideology is that I don’t really see what it achieves. I mean, sure they can redo a ton of character moves and make stages that allow for more tournament play perhaps. And they can cut characters to achieve the perfect balance some people want...

But like what else can you do without sacrificing the identity of the game in the process?

So much of Smash is tied to the concepts of a huge roster, with tons of content all around representing a little bit of everything, and also being a game about percentages smashing people off the screen. I feel like most reboot ideas would have to move further away from that, and most would just take it more towards just another fighting game. A beautifully crafted and likely balanced one, but a much less interesting and complex one.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I do think if anything the next game should be an spiritual successor in the form of an crossover RPG. That way Smash still continues on but differently.
Now that would be changing Smash's identity too much.

Like Sakurai said:

"As you may know, Super Smash Bros. is an action game about smashing beloved game characters off the screen."

That is Smash's identity. As long as the next game does that, it will still be smash. So taking it into 3D would just be an evolution of that idea.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Now that would be changing Smash's identity too much.

Like Sakurai said:

"As you may know, Super Smash Bros. is an action game about smashing beloved game characters off the screen."

That is Smash's identity. As long as the next game does that, it will still be smash. So taking it into 3D would just be an evolution of that idea.
Whelp nevermind then.

I think the best approach would be to simply keep releasing this game for every future console but with seasons such as new characters, stages, music, etc. I can't see this being topped and people wouldn't be too keen or happy about a reboot with most of the roster cut.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You can't top this game. And it would be impossible to bring back every character and keep adding more. Not only would it be too difficult to balance, but there are tons of legal issues with 3rd party characters. What if Square and Konami decide they don't want their characters in Smash anymore?

So yeah. It's impossible to keep adding to Ultimate, and it's impossible to top Ultimate. The only thing you can do is release a new version of Smash Bros. with cuts or take the series in a new direction.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Which is why I said seasons hence DLC. Keep re-releasing the game for every future console. It'd be the same game overall but constantly updated.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Which is why I said seasons hence DLC. Keep re-releasing the game for every future console. It'd be the same game but constantly updated.
You still have the legal issues. Sakurai would have to keep asking those companies permission to have them on board for the rerelease. And it would still become increasingly difficult to balance. The more characters there are, the more difficult it is to balance.

Finally, do we really just want to play Ultimate forever? When I get a new game I don't just want the same game over and over but with new characters. The game would also look outdated with graphics improving. I'm sure Nintendo's next system will be capable of better graphics than Ulitmate. Do you really want to play this game forever?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd rather have Ultimate go out as a bang being the last game but if must be continued take that route so the next game doesn't seem lackluster in comparison. I just can't see people wanting a next game with most of the roster cut and if they don't want such thing then they shouldn't demand more Smash games.

Also many games that were ported gotten enhanced graphics such as God of War II when it was ported to the PS4 as Remastered. How would Smash Ultimate be any different?

This is why they should take that approach or despite the words Sakurai said as you posted above have some spiritual successor and it doesn't even need to be called Smash.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If Smash is taken in a brand new direction then it won't matter if half the roster is cut. It would be like Smash was reborn.

Look, Super Mario 64 didn't include staple items or actions from past Mario games like Super Mushrooms that make you grow, shell throwing, or even Luigi! But people still loved it because it was so new and unique and unlike any Mario game they played before.

That's what they should aim for in Smash. A direction that is so new and exciting that people won't worry about lost characters. The game would be so different that even the characters who aren't cut would be completely new. It wouldn't matter who was in the past Smash games because they wouldn't even be the same anymore. Again, it would be a rebirth... a reboot, if you will.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well if it is to be rebooted then I still stand in how I'd want the roster to look as I posted many messages above.

Still that's the approach I would be doing either way. Keep re-releasing, updating and enhancing graphics or an spiritual successor but that's just me.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm gonna be well into my 30s by the time the next Smash comes out. There's little reason for me to buy a game with less characters than Ultimate.

But hey, I got my last longstanding request, so go nuts, Sakurai.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Personally I really hope Sakurai steps down from Smash and pursues smaller projects like new Kirby or Kid Icarus games (Not before taking a long vacation though). He deserves it after the effort he put into making such a game putting his health on the line. If Smash should continue. Someone else should take his place. He could however return as say like a producer though which wouldn't be as as hard-working.

Also I really don't expect another Smash game to happen for a while. Could see 5+ years.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
The biggest problem is the licensing issues. If Nintendo's unable to get some of the 3rd-party characters back, they can theoretically still expand the roster without them. The massive roster was a happy side-effect of getting everyone back as opposed to the goal itself, so there's not really much stopping them from making an even larger roster than Ultimate in the next one. Even if they have to make some cuts, they can always add newcomers, whether they be Nintendo properties or new 3rd-party deals to replace the old ones. I don't think there's any reason for them to downgrade when they can just do it again with some changes. I doubt we'll get everybody back again, but I have no reason to think the roster will take any significant hits in regards to size.

Also important to note, every Smash after 64 could easily be considered a reboot of the gameplay. It's not exactly known for playing the same across every entry, competitive Melee players can tell you that. It'll be as different as every game has been so far.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well if it is to be rebooted then I still stand in how I'd want the roster to look as I posted many messages above.

Still that's the approach I would be doing either way. Keep re-releasing, updating and enhancing graphics or an spiritual successor but that's just me.
The roster isn't going to matter in a game that plays differently. The whole point why people want certain characters to return is because they missed how they played. If the game plays differently than that idea is thrown out the window.

Mario will not be the same Mario. Donkey Kong will not be the same Donkey Kong. Basically if Smash is rebooted, the entire roster as we know it will be cut! This will be a whole 'nother beast. Who isn't in that game will not matter because Smash as a whole will not be the same Smash.

The roster doesn't mean crap in a brand new Smash starting from square one.

Also it's not a spiritual successor if it's an entirely different genre like an RPG. It would be a spin-off.

The biggest problem is the licensing issues. If Nintendo's unable to get some of the 3rd-party characters back, they can theoretically still expand the roster without them. The massive roster was a happy side-effect of getting everyone back as opposed to the goal itself, so there's not really much stopping them from making an even larger roster than Ultimate in the next one. Even if they have to make some cuts, they can always add newcomers, whether they be Nintendo properties or new 3rd-party deals to replace the old ones. I don't think there's any reason for them to downgrade when they can just do it again with some changes. I doubt we'll get everybody back again, but I have no reason to think the roster will take any significant hits in regards to size.
No they really can't. After getting a Smash that brought back everyone, no one will want another standard Smash that doesn't have their favorite character. You litterally can't top Ultimate. And adding more characters will continue to create balancing issues and put an increasingly greater burden on the developers. It's like you guys think they can continue to add an infinite amount of characters. As if that is feasible. It's not.

If you can't improve/top Ultimate then don't try. Just make something new.

You have to think about the future. Either things evolve, or they die. They can't continue down the same road forever. Especially if you a have culminated in the Ultimate Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I double posted by accident. Mods, please delete.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
It's like you guys think they can continue to add an infinite amount of characters. As if that is feasible. It's not.
Brawl was the first to make cuts and still ended up with a larger roster than Melee. Considering the advancement of the engines between games, and assuming Ultimate is the last entry for a long time, it can be expanded. Adding a new character for every one they cut for licensing issues is feasible when they don't have to spend development time jumping through legal hoops.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Why would you reboot a series like this? This is a series that you add to, restarting seems pointless and it would be hard to get anyone to think of it as not just cutting old characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why would you reboot a series like this? This is a series that you add to, restarting seems pointless and it would be hard to get anyone to think of it as not just cutting old characters.
Because, it might get to a point where the roster gets too big and cutting it down is a necessity.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Then that is making cuts to the roster. Calling it a reboot is just fancy nomenclature.
With a reboot, not only will the roster be cut down, but the franchise will be taken into a new direction. Sakurai originally wanted to do this with Ultimate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also it's not a spiritual successor if it's an entirely different genre like an RPG. It would be a spin-off.
Wrong choice of words then that's what I would personally prefer then if Ultimate can't keep getting re-released and updated.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I guess Super Mario 64 is not a Mario game. After all, 2D is Mario's identity.

Seriously you guys need to expand your idea of what a series can be.
Mario 2d are different games then his 3d ones, I seen other fighting games that were originally 2d go 3d and it lead to it not being as fun

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
They would need to change the game in an entire new direction/genre.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The roster isn't going to matter in a game that plays differently. The whole point why people want certain characters to return is because they missed how they played. If the game plays differently than that idea is thrown out the window.
No, not really, because fighters aren’t just functions. A lot of people would still like playing as their favorite character regardless of the move set they are tied to. That’s a big selling point of being a cross over.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I feel like they really painted themselves into corner with Ultimate.
Either you port this game forever (which I would potentially love) or you have to completely overhaul the mechanics of the fighters and the games identity.
If the potential successor keeps the fundamental core of the game but hast to make severe cuts, why should anyone play the new game and not just Ultimate? There were cuts before, but always the number of characters and stages increased in total. People won't take it well if you just reduce the number of fighters and stages, without massive added value through other means...

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I kind of agree, you could also just end it on this high point...
But the sales will probably not allow it, perhaps they could do a reboot with new mechanics, reduced characters and stages and a different name.
Just don't call it Smash, make it a new series based on Smash...

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I kind of agree, you could also just end it on this high point...
But the sales will probably not allow it, perhaps they could do a reboot with new mechanics, reduced characters and stages and a different name.
Just don't call it Smash, make it a new series based on Smash...
As long as it’s not smash, I’d be ok with less fighters. Maybe if it were a series-specific game based on smash, like if smash was just an assorted bunch of mario items, characters and stages?

Last edited:
Top Bottom