After Ultimate, will the next Smash be a complete reboot?

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is shaping up to be Sakurai's Ultimate vision for Smash Bros. Every character in series history, plus new ones, new gameplay tweaks additions for casual and competitive play, more than 100 stages, and 28 hours worth of music. It really does feel like this was what Smash Bros. was envisioned to be. But, what comes next? With Sakurai putting all his effort into making the Ultimate version of this legendary series, where does Smash go from here?

Specifically, we'll we be seeing the game after be a completely fresh start? That being a smaller first-party exclusive roster, heavily redone gameplay, and generally being a reboot of sorts. Sakurai has said he's willing to make more Smash games if there's demand, but during Ultimate's development, he pondered doing a BotW style reboot of the series, but felt it'd be faster to simply improve on and refine what Smash 4 started. But after Ultimate, could we see a completely fresh Direction for the series? Some changes to Ultimate do veer into reboot territory, and could potentially influence this potential reboot.

MrRoidley

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine the next step after Ultimate would be a revision of Ultimate with more stuff. But since revisions only work for so long, then they'd reboot it

Dixie Kong

Smash Journeyman
I just want to make sure King K. Rool and hopefully Dixie make it back in the next game. However, I want Nintendo to continue the “Ultimate” formula, so nobodies favorite is cut.

Captain Shades

Smash Journeyman
A reboot would be cool, I’ve actually thought about it for a while.

What if the Smash Team goes back to the drawing board and brings back a Wii U mechanic in a new way, reimagining all characters. My idea would be for the Smash Team to reintroduce custom moves and make them a central mechanic.

They could start with the original 12 and just build multiple move sets, maybe 8, around them that represent the various games and or mechanics. Here I’ll do an example.

Mario’s Custom bases

1) Mario 3D Moveset (Sunshine + 64 and 64 DS)
2) Mario Odessey Moveset
3) Classic Mario Moveset (Super Mario Bros 1-3)
4) Mario Party Moveset
5) New Super Mario Moveset (New Super Mario Bros franchise)
6) Mario Galaxy Moveset (Mario Galaxy 1+2)
7) Mario Sports Moveset
8) Mario RPG Moveset (Super Mario RPG + Mario & Luigi franchise)

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
I think if the Smash Bros. series is going to be rebooted, Sakurai will probably take a step back, serving as Producer rather than Director, while a new Director creates their own unique take on the formula. It'd also be interesting to see a Super Smash Bros. game developed in-house at Nintendo EPD themselves. Prior games were developed by various companies. HAL Laboratory for the first two, an ad-hoc team for Brawl, and Bandai Namco for Smash 4 and Ultimate. It'd be interesting to see Super Smash Bros. developed by Nintendo internally, they already have experience with Fighting games in the form of ARMS.

lucasla

Smash Cadet
I dont know... I dont think a Nintendo console can exist without Smash, and imagining 10 years from now in their next console... well.. maybe they add voice chat
xD

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
I used to think they couldn't top Smash 4, but then Ultimate happened. Now, I really can't see how they can top Ultimate without rebooting it. I really wonder what it'll be like...

Buzzwole

Smash Apprentice
I'd assume we'll get a reboot next, yes. There's absolutely nowhere to go from here unless they want to just keep building off of the same base game from here on out.

I think whatever comes next will be a reboot, rebuilt from the ground up, and I don't think Sakurai will be in charge.
This game feels like a final hoorah for Sakurai, which is why he's going all out with pleasing fans and packing as much stuff into it as he can.

Last edited:
I'd assume we'll get a reboot next, yes. There's absolutely nowhere to go from here unless they want to just keep building off of the same base game from here on out.

I think whatever comes next will be a reboot, rebuilt from the ground up, and I don't think Sakurai will be in charge.
This game feels like a final hoorah for Sakurai, which is why he's going all out with pleasing fans and packing as much stuff into it as he can.

I think it's more like corporate Nintendo breathing down his neck to make an "all-out" Smash game for their supposedly best-selling console ever (or one of). I doubt this is a labor of love for him.

Oddball

Smash Journeyman
People throw the word reboot around too much these days.

It's not like there's anything there to reboot. It's a fighting game with no real story, no continuity, and the only connections to the past games being how the characters play ... and that still changes from game to game.

If you make a new Smash bros and it only has 13 characters and they all have different moves you'd still be hard pressed to not just call it another sequel. Do people call Zelda 2 a reboot?

Fell God

Smash Apprentice
I'm worried the next game would be unable to one-up Ultimate, I don't think you can do any better than "everyone is here" and I think Sakurai knows it too. You can't foreseeably top this one.

I'm worried the next game would be unable to one-up Ultimate, I don't think you can do any better than "everyone is here" and I think Sakurai knows it too. You can't foreseeably top this one.
Of course they can! They just need to continuously recycle the models and animations over and over and over again and disregard it looking out of place in 8640p graphics. That would save the resources needed for them to redo the old characters and focus more on making the new ones.

But yes, the best way to "top" Ultimate would be to reboot the series and freshen up old characters entirely.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
they could make it from the ground up to be this game and more if there had double the time to do it. Lesser characters would only work if smash disappeared for 2 consoles

The core gameplay can be maintained, with improvements and new characters and stages of course, and they can also create new game modes and campaigns. And depending on how they handle the online system of this game, if it's just a simple system like the WiiU game, there's already something to do better in a sequel. I hope to see a full rank system on this game, on pair with any recent competitive game like LoL, Overwatch and others, if not.. well, I will still wait for it in 2030.