• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After all the good things announced, what else the game needs to be really Ultimate for you?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
That's it.. We all know the game is full of great content, characters, stages, and possibilities. But you probably have things that you really want to be in the game that were not announced yet. What are these things for you?

For me, I have some things....

Characters:

I really don't care too much about Waluigi and Captain Toad, I think there are some characters that deserves a bit more:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Crash Bandicoot (It just should always be here)
3. Rayman (because Ubisoft has been supporting Nintendo for a long time and they even did the recent Mario+Rabbids game for the Switch)
4. Shadow (as Echo-fighter of Sonic)
5. Kid Goku / Goku Sayajin (I know it doesn't really fit, and that's exactly why I want it. I'm ok if it never happens and I understand why, but I would be pretty happy if that happens. I just want to fight Goku with Mario and other Nintendo characters. For me this is just as strange as see the Mercedes cars in Mario Kart 8, and I really like that)

Stages:

For the stages, I'm assuming that we are still going to get some more out of the 103 announced stages. I really like the fact that most of them are returning, and only a few were not corfirmed yet, and from the ones that were not confirmed, I would like the return of:

1. Poké Floats (I think this stage must return with a total rework. I actually imagine the pokemons as big balloons in a parade at the background, I think it would be awesome for pokemon fans)
2. Mushroom Kingdom
3. Rainbow Road (Another stage that I think that must return, but with a rework to use the graphics of the Mario Kart 8 Rainbow Road)
4. Pac Maze (it's the definitive pac man stage, Pac Land is just terrible and no one knows it has anything related to pacman if you dont tell)
5. Jungle Hijinks (actually, I dont care about it, but it will be the only one something relevant stage missing, poor stage)
6. Wolly World (It's just too beautiful and creative to not be here)
7. Orbital Gate Assault
8. MiiVerse (I just like the simplicity of white plataforms and white background, and the panels with MiiVerse drawings can just be selected from their database... I don't see impediments here just because we are not going to have new panels, just save 1000 good drawings on the storage of the game and make it appear randomly)

Some other stages are still missing, but these are the vertical stages no one likes or stages that are so similar to others on the pack that having or not having them would just be irrelevant.

I also think that the game needs some more original stages, at least 5 more, just to give a better impression of new content that are not from previous games on the stages.

* And of course, not all characters and stages needs to be released on the release date, they can always be released with DLCs after the launch of the game.

Campaign Mode: I'm really hoping that the misterious mode is a campaign mode with a lot of replay value.

Multiplayer:

That's the component that I think that needs more attention now. The rest of the game is already feeling very complete, with always requested options finally being inserted in the game. But the online multiplayer component has the potential to be a really big thing now, and in Smash 4 I felt it did not had too much attention or effort devoted to it from the developers. I always felt that the multiplayer in Smash 4 is so basic in options because they wanna force us to play the game locally with friends, but this is not an option to me, and for most people too, at least in 99% of the time I wanna play the game. So I always felt they just did the minimum they could to allow people to play online and that's it, "deal with it, and if you wanna enjoy the game, play with friends the way the game was originally designed". Like if limitating us by force for a pro-couch-coop phylosophy.
It doesnt even had a Stock option, and this talks a lot to me, and thank god this is apparently changing.

But if things are really changing for this game, and this one is going to be a more competitive smash, it must do better for the players that want to play in a serious competitive way.
For people that just wanna play for fun, the basic modes can still exist, of course, but for competitive players, some Rank must exist, and a competitive mode with positioning matches in ranks and needing to win to get better positioning, something like in Overwatch and League of Legends games.
Talking about overwatch, this game is a good example of how a online system could work. They have simple fast game, competitive game, rotatory crazy game modes with rules defined by the developers, thematic events, new skins and stages for free. People can also create rooms with different rules and invite friends. You actually can create rules for play in Smash, but you cant play with these custom rules online, only in couch-coop, and this is another thing that makes me thing they kind of scorn the online multiplayer for some reason.
I'm all for the let the basic game modes there, but dont force people to play in only a limitate way, they must give options, and make people feel they are free to enjoy the game as they want.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I want online play for amiibo.
Smash 4 didn't have much content in the way of amiibo: you could train them to fight, but for a $13/fighter set of toys that were terribly hard to find, there wasn't much. The community had to hack together a way to do competition (never mind that the community is the same 12 people entering each other's tournaments over and over) and it proved to be very expensive. If we had online play for amiibo, players could actually use their amiibo and that might encourage them to buy more.

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
I want online play for amiibo.
Smash 4 didn't have much content in the way of amiibo: you could train them to fight, but for a $13/fighter set of toys that were terribly hard to find, there wasn't much. The community had to hack together a way to do competition (never mind that the community is the same 12 people entering each other's tournaments over and over) and it proved to be very expensive. If we had online play for amiibo, players could actually use their amiibo and that might encourage them to buy more.
I like that idea a lot, actually. Online tournaments, maybe?

Smash Rookie
NNID
Straddling
3DS FC
4356-4964-1660
Switch FC
SW 1023 1406 4344
According to my 15-year-old cousin, this cannot be the Ultimate Smash Bros. without Garfield being playable.

But I am not my cousin.

I at least want something similar to Smash Run. Target Test would be great too, particularly a return to the unique ones. Definitely a tough job, though.

I hope they go all out with DLC. Alternate costumes, missing game modes, new game modes(?), new stages, and definitely lots of new characters. I’d hope Sakurai and the devs can get as many characters out there as possible; to really make it feel Ultimate.

And then Sakurai retires and is never seen again. I certainly wouldn’t blame him.

The only other thing I can hope for is a roster that’s as balanced as possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, more DK and Wario characters. Maybe even Banjo-Kazooie if I feel really nice.

DLC for months, if not years. Also, a new ballot or two that could be focused towards the choices for said DLC.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong and Banjo Kazooie of course for me. I would love if they brought back break the targets and board the platforms for each character as dlc. (Since I couldn’t see that being done by launch)

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
At this point, anything else from Advance Wars in addition to the single assist trophy that's been there since Brawl. Andy will never be playable and Sami being an echo for Snake would only happen if Sakurai did excessive research into Brawl modding. If there isn't any kind of stage, I'd at least like some music somewhere in the game.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
1. I need some type of story mode preferably a brand new story like subspace or just an hd remastered Subspace from Brawl
2. This might sound selfish but I need a newcomer I actually want. So far none of the newcomers are ones I really care for at all except for Inkling. I watch the Ridley, Simon, King K Rool trailers all in boredom. I'm happy for the people that wanted them, but man I need someone like Anna(Fire Emblem), Issac, Elma, Rex and Pyra, Impa, Linkle, or Sora. That is why I hope Sakurai doesn't rip characters from the Ballot only; a lot of people's favorite characters probably just debuted in 2015-2016 and didn't have enough time to gain a fanbase yet at the time of the ballot.

Maikou

Smash Ace
The only things I really need are Bandana Dee and SOME kind of Adventure Mode, be it Melee style or like Brawl's Subspace Emissary (though I'd prefer the latter). Otherwise, I'm 100% satisfied with the game as it is.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, we still don't know as much as I would like about modes is the main thing. I'm assuming most of the mainstays are coming back, but I need Event Matches, Multi-Man Smash, Home-Run Contest, and some form of Target Test (Not blast because that nonsense is distinctly less fun) to be in the game for it to feel right. I think some sort of semi-substantial single player is needed as well. At least a Melee Adventure Mode level of single player to give something to those fans (I do enjoy them, but honestly, I just want characters and stages).

With every franchise represented in stages also back, I'd like to see all the franchises ever represented in Smash back. So that also means all of the assist trophies returning. If Electroplankton gets to keep a place in Smash (Which I do love) Custom Robo should have at the very least have an assist trophy again, if not playable. Same for Golden Sun. Isaac needs to be in the game in some shape or form.

Beyond that are certainly characters. Geno and Isaac come to mind as the bigger titans left of the fan period, I really want to see another retro rep make it in again, and if I'm being completely honest, Banjo Kazooie represents the pinnacle of fan service being honored despite the massive barriers to his highly requested entry. That would be a move worthy of the Ultimate banner.

All that said, the game is already Ultimate to me if this is all we get, and that's saying a lot considering we've still got more to come.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
*Inhales*

Banjo

yep, Banjo and Kazooie are literally the ONLY thing that NEEDS to be in this game for it to be the ULTIMATE Smash Bros for me.
Banjo has been one of my most wanted characters to be in Smash since I played the original Smash on the N64.
the buyout killed his chances
but I never stopped dreaming.
Banjo BELONGS in Smash
he BELONGS with Nintendo
if they want this to be the Ultimate Smash, he needs to be in
I don't care about Ridley, or Daisy, or the Belmonts.
And have no attachment to Geno or Isaac. so even though I will be happy to see them get in for the sake of their fans, like I was for all the Newcomers we got so far, they'd do little to make it Ultimate for ME
I WANT BANJO

that said, whilst he is the only thing required to make this the "Ultimate" smash game for me.
I'd still also love to see
Bandana Dee
Qbby
Chibi-Robo
Dixie Kong
Captain Toad
Break the Targets, Race to the Finish, Multiman Melee, Home Run Contest
Event Matches
PokeFloats
PacMaze
and an Adventure/Story mode.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
For me, it's Dovahkiin.

If the Dragonborn gets in, I'll be good with anything else. Skyrim's a great game, and Nintendo revived it for the Switch and used it to market themselves - it was the second game ever shown for the console, even before Mario (and to show off that Ninty isn't just for kids anymore). Plus, it's stupidly iconic to the point that Know Your Meme has several subpages on it. It's also one of the few Western games to get 40/40 on Famitsu. Not to mention the possibility of a beautiful stage and some excellent music that doesn't even need to be remixed - just toss the main theme, "Watch the Skies," and "Sovngarde" on.

I have a few other characters aside from him (namely Tails and Urbosa, Midna, or Skull Kid), but I'd also like to see Pac-Maze return and a new Tetris stage come in. Beyond that, though...I think I've got everything I need besides a Viking. I just hope there's more single-player content than Sm4sh.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
If they can somehow manage to get Banjo Kazooie into this game, people will riot. There is no other character that can make a splash in the industry like him. It will get Smash ultimate more coverage than ever before, because the story of Microsoft and Nintendo working together would be historic. Banjo also represents a legendary “Nintendo” character that seems forgotten, yet has so much potential. Many people still have nostalgic feelings for this character and would love for him to return one day. Microsoft would be genius to let Nintendo use him in Smash, it would bring him to relevancy once again, and would lead to more Banjo games on Microsoft’s own consoles.

I hope it happens.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Well, first off... I am truly happy with what we have. Provided the online play is good and the game ships with a reasonable set of Mii Fighter options, there's nothing else I really need. Sakurai has done a fantastic job.

If I'm wishlisting?

Make Robin's recovery better.
Add Lyn (Fire Emblem) and Shovel Knight (from Shaq-Fu) as playable characters.
Even more Mii Fighter options; I want to see a Mii Mage, Mii Spearfighter, more costumes, etc.
Frank West (Dead Rising 1 version)
Geese Howard (King of Fighters)
Proto Man (Echo of Mega Man)
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy 6)
Chrono (from Chrono Trigger)
Marle (Also from CT)
Tweak Zelda some more, I want her to be a good character and initial signs don't look good.

I could add some more stuff, but it all easily falls into 'unrealistic even in ideal circumstances' so I'll just say my ultimate realistic Smash would have those things. I think the fact my list is so short is an indication that Sakurai has provided a ton of compelling content!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
-Break the Targets.
-Boss Battles mode (which I think is pretty safe to assume is in).
-Decent Adventure Mode (doesn't have to be SSE scale, just something).
-Ranked mode in online.

And that's it really, as far as characters and stages are concerned I'm already beyond satisfied. If I really had to be greedy I'd say Skull Kid, Bandana Dee and Geno would be great to have, but I consider everything we get from now on to be bonuses, K. Rool was my last essential on that front.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Custom Smash Deluxe
You can give each individual player different properties, instead of everyone having to share the same effects.
  • Knockback Dealt: 0.5x - 2.0x
  • Knockback Taken: 0.5x - 2.0x
  • Size: 0.2x - 5x (also affects damage dealt)
  • Body: Normal, Metal, Clear
  • Item: No Item, Bunny Hood, Super Leaf, Rocket Belt, Screw Attack, Back Shield
  • Gravity: Normal, Light, Heavy (also affects falling speed)

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
-Break the Targets.
-Boss Battles mode (which I think is pretty safe to assume is in).
-Decent Adventure Mode (doesn't have to be SSE scale, just something).
-Ranked mode in online.

And that's it really, as far as characters and stages are concerned I'm already beyond satisfied. If I really had to be greedy I'd say Skull Kid, Bandana Dee and Geno would be great to have, but I consider everything we get from now on to be bonuses, K. Rool was my last essential on that front.
What would be a Boss Battle mode? Just one boss at each level? If that's the case, I preffer the bosses distributed in some adventure mode. Only enemies to fight seems pretty cheap and will end too fast.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What would be a Boss Battle mode? Just one boss at each level? If that's the case, I preffer the bosses distributed in some adventure mode. Only enemies to fight seems pretty cheap and will end too fast.
Like in Brawl, where you just faced all of the game's bosses one after the other, and also being able to pick a difficulty and do it with 2 players. It doesn't have to be boss battles in either the adventure mode or the boss battles mode, rather the boss battles mode can't exist without them being in the adventure mode to begin with.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Like in Brawl, where you just faced all of the game's bosses one after the other, and also being able to pick a difficulty and do it with 2 players. It doesn't have to be boss battles in either the adventure mode or the boss battles mode, rather the boss battles mode can't exist without them being in the adventure mode to begin with.
I like this possibility if inserted in some campaign. Like in Mario Odyssey, after finish the game you have a mode where you fight all the bosses you fought on the campaign, one after the other, but only after you finish the game at least one time. If we can just fight bosses right on the beginning, it would spoil all the bosses of the game and finish with the surprises of the bosses a campaign mode could bring, and also would be just too short, like the other modes you can finish in one afternoon..

Last edited:

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
Subspace-style Story Mode. Now that my desired two newcomers (Ridley and K Rool) are in, that's the only thing I'd need to see for it to feel "ultimate".

Last edited:

grizby2

Smash Lord
the ability to edit character colors and being able to import MY OWN music.

I want to play as shiny Charizard with dragonforce playing in the backround:bobomb:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i'm just happy we got another smash bros... and everything revealed so far has been so far beyond what i was hoping for that i honestly can't imagine asking for anything else.

all i want is for sakurai to take care of himself after this game's release, really.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Im already set aswell. The game was my Ultimate Smash Bros. the moment my dream character was announced with Ridley. However, even since then, the announcements have just surpassed my expectations again and again.

The only thing Im slightly bummed out about is that the Final Smashes are now all one-off attacks instead of awesome transformations and other wacky stuff, but thats easy to overlook considering all the other great content we are getting.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
I like the new FS’s, simple and to the point, and more balanced. But, most competitive players will rarely use them, anyway. ^^^

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Characters
  • Toad or Captain Toad
  • Meowth or Team Rocket (:052::024: & :052::110:)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Zelda newcomer - not Echo Fighter (Skull Kid or Ganon or Tingle)
Stages
  • Pac-Maze
  • Pokémon Sun & Moon stage
  • Pushmo stage
  • Rainbow Road
  • Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie's stage)
  • Woolly World
Modes
  • Adventure Mode (Melee style but with Brawl style boss battles)
  • Board the Platforms
  • Break the Targets (64 / Melee style)
  • Smash Run
  • Target Blast

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I like that idea a lot, actually. Online tournaments, maybe?
That would be delightful. Technically you can enter them now for Smash 4, but I don't recommend it: unfortunately the amiibo metagames all follow the same pattern. A one-size-beats-all option shows up, it dominates and then gets banned. A replacement option dominates, and it gets banned, too. This keeps repeating until we have rule after rule for who and what can be entered, and then everybody gets bored and leaves.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
For me, it's a few modes and characters. For modes, these are all still possible for the game, possibly unconfirmed in the "Games and more" section so I'm still hoping.

Modes

1. Smash Run
  2. Targets (Like Melee)
  3. Challenges (Like Melee)
Characters
  1. Skull Kid- Spellcaster/Trickster, something thats only covered by very few characters
  2. Geno- When people ask for Goku, they should be asking for this. All of his spirit attacks/Ki-blasts would be in his movesets
  3. Isaac- Earthbending Sword/Axe user, enough said
  4. Banjo- Should be able to switch between both Banjo and Kazooie ala old Zelda/Sheik from Melee. Should have 2 different movesets as a result, not unlike the old 64 games.
  5. Bandana Dee- Spear user and rounds out the main Kirby team. Just makes sense at this point.
  6. Rayman- To be honest, the final, classic, iconic 3rd party character that should be in Smash. Deserves to be in the game (I have personal reservations about Spyro and Crash).
  7. Chrono/DQ8 Protag- IF Square was to get a 3rd rep, the protags of the 2 best JRPG classics in the last 25 years would suffice.
Thats it for me. I never expect them all to join but I do expect some of them to come around this time, especially since Ridley and K. Rool were in this list before they were confirmed. These are just some of the next, logical characters that could join smash (at least the first 5 or 6).

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Characters:
Geno
Banjo-kazooie
Rayman
Goku
Unlockable assist trophies as playable characters (shovel knight pls)
Alternate movesets (for oot ganon and the links especially)
Skull kid
Spring man

Characters I'd like but havegiven up on:
Isaak
Ray from custom robo
Saki
Takamaru
Scorpion (mortal kombat)

Modes:
Board the platforms (single and multiplayer)
Break the targets (single and multiplayer)
Melee mode
A good story mode
A really good in depth stage creator

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
All I'm asking for is that they improve upon the Replay-to-YouTube feature. I'd love to be able to upload clips and make them into a montage to post on YouTube. And maybe a story mode too.

Aside from that, the roster's great so far. It even would've been fine if they didn't include any newcomers. Seriously, the return of all fighters is good enough on its own.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
All I'm asking for is that they improve upon the Replay-to-YouTube feature. I'd love to be able to upload clips and make them into a montage to post on YouTube. And maybe a story mode too.

Aside from that, the roster's great so far. It even would've been fine if they didn't include any newcomers. Seriously, the return of all fighters is good enough on its own.
Oh that reminds me. I've always wanted to have the ability to pause and rewind mid match like in many EA sports games so I can see what happened. Sometimes ridiculous things happen and im like wha-how? Being able to rewind and zoom in on stuff like that would be fun.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Still waiting for Stage Builder to return. Being able to create, share and play on unique fan-made maps will certainly add plenty more hours of playtime to the game, and will give us something to do after the last content has been unlocked and last DLC downloaded. It was the best feature in Brawl and Smash 4 and I'm dying to have it return.

While not very popular, and thus unlikely to return, I would love to see Smash Tour come back. It was a blast to play with friends and was able to keep the formula fresh. The board game aspect could use a little fine tuning, but it would still be nice to have back.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I agree with BronzeGreekGod BronzeGreekGod on alternate movesets for veterans.

For characters like Link and Pit, I want to be able to play as their previous versions with their old specials.

For characters like Mario, Ike, and Ganondorf, I'd like to see them use their hammer, axe, and sword (more) respectively.

For Samus, I want to see her get projectile normals and pseudo-projectile normals like the Mii Gunner.

There are just so many possibilities for the established characters yet Sakurai insists on mostly sticking to what they had since their debut. So I want them to have new options to play with while still keeping their old iterations.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Feature wise

Adventure mode
Full Palutena's Guidance and Codecs
Target tests
Smash Run
Way to unlock music without making CD farming

Characters

Krystal (sadly impossible now)
Gardevoir
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Spring Man and another ARMS character
A lot of echos (including Roll)
Geno

Other
the remaining 15 stages (minus the flatzones and pictochat maybe)

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I want those back as well.
but I'd like it if we could have a bit more than that.

getting advice on your opponents from Doc Louis if you play as Little Mac on the Boxing Ring
Gruntilda as a Stage Hazzard who also insults the characters with Rhymes on a Banjo Stage
and anything else they can include to add more fun little Easter eggs

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Feature wise

Adventure mode
Target tests
Smash Run
Way to unlock music without making CD farming

Characters

Krystal (sadly impossible now)
Gardevoir
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Spring Man and another ARMS character
A lot of echos (including Roll)
Geno

Other
the remaining 15 stages (minus the flatzones and pictochat maybe)
You never know, some assist trophies could get a chance to become fully playable down the road. Might be a long shot, but with dlc who knows.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You never know, some assist trophies could get a chance to become fully playable down the road. Might be a long shot, but with dlc who knows.
It's possible but that Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak is more than enough possibly false hope for me to handle for the time being.

Top Bottom