• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aesthetic changes you'd like to see?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
We all have ideas for how to revamp our favorite Smash characters (buffing/nerfing, changing moves to better reflect canon, etc), but what small, insignificant changes would you make to the characters' appearance? For example, you know how Smash 4 revamped Bowser, Yoshi, and Ike so they'd look more like their modern designs? I'm talking about stuff like that. Not just modernizing, though - it could be anything.

Here are some of the things I'd do.

First of all, change Mario's expression. That scowl is ridiculously out of character. I realize this is a fighting game and he's gotta have his game face on, but his happy-go-lucky attitude is one of my favorite things about him and I'd like Smash to reflect that.

Two, give Diddy Kong his backpack from DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze, and also update the look of his jetpack. (He could also get a Peach-style hover out of the deal, but that's an actual gameplay change.)

Three, I know Link is rocking the Breath of the Wild look, but I'd love it if his alts were all different tunics from different games, like the Kokiri tunic from Ocarina of Time, the NES/SNES-style green-and-brown tunic with the yellow fringe around the hat (and maybe pink hair from A Link to the Past), etc. I'd also like it if Ganondorf looked like he does in the future of Ocarina of Time, with the long hair. A lot of people like the Hyrule Warriors designs, but I think those might be a little too "busy."

I also think Toon Link should have the mirror shield. This is probably going to sound silly, but it kinda bugs me that he has the hero's shield and fully-upgraded Master Sword even though it isn't actually possible to have both of those items at once in Wind Waker.

Give Fox and Falco their designs from Star Fox Zero, which are just perfect.

Last but not least, give Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong canon-accurate voices. I don't care for those animal growls. There's a video floating around where someone replaced Bowser's generic animal growls with his vocalizations from Bowser's Inside Story and it's amazing how much more personality they give him. And I'd love to hear DK let out his hilarious over-the-top death howl from the Retro games as he flies into the horizon.

...welp, those are mine. What are yours?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I like the voice changes. I wanted Skyward Sword Link and for Zelda and Ganon to get an update to their looks. I'm tired of Twilight Princess everything.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Although I doubt they'll make Samus look beefy like in Metroid: Samus Returns, I'd like to have appearances, especially the gravity suit. That looks entirely different from its predecessors.

Khao

Smash Lord
Rather than something specific like skins, I want this game to look different. All Smash games have a clear aesthetic that's at least somewhat different to other games, Smash 64 tried to go for a somewhat cartoony look (though it's kinda lost in the low-poly look and ultimately just looks like generic N64 graphics anyway), Melee was obviously far more detailed, but mantained a soft, colorful look. Brawl is generally darker and did it's best to make everything as detailed as possible, giving a semi-realistic look to even the most unexpected characters. Wii U turned realism down and went for a far simpler style with brighter, "flat" colors, and characters are mostly true to how they appear in each of their respective game while still mantaining a unified color palette throughout the whole cast. 3DS was strangely far closer to Brawl, but it obviously added the black outlines to make characters stand out.

The changes are generally pretty subtle (some people actually struggled to see a difference between Brawl and Wii U), but whatever Switch does, I want it to have it's own identity compared to previous games. If they show me a screenshot of the same characters on the same stage with the HUD turned off, I want to be able to instantly tell the two games apart.

Top Bottom