• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerith Gainsborough Blooms - Aerith for Smash Support Thread

amageish

Smash Master
sg-ff7-remake-trailer-breakdown-and-analysis-91.jpg

Aerith for Smash!

Who is this?

Aerith Gainsborough (also known in as Aeris Gainsborough early translations) is one of the main characters of 1997 JRPG Final Fantasy VII and a reoccurring character in the extended media. A kind-hearted flower seller, she joins the protagonist Cloud as a member of the organization AVALANCHE and seeks to change the world for the better...

...then a lot of spoilers happen! She's perhaps best known for the spoilers, one of which is actually referenced in Cloud's classic mode clear screen in Smash Ultimate...

Why her out of all of Final Fantasy?

Well, first off, she's an incredibly popular character from one of the most iconic games of all time, whose role has been expanded with the first part of the recent remake. Being a popular character currently relevant within general cultural zeitgeist can't hurt, right? Secondly, she represents a unique JRPG character type not currently in Smash Bros: the cleric. While characters like Tifa Lockhart (the game's bruiser), Barret Wallace (the game's tank), and Sephiroth (the game's main villain) all also have decent odds in their own right, I think the moveset potential of a magic-using staff-wielding cleric could bring some neat new mechanics to the Smash roster. Very few characters currently have healing properties in their moveset right now - Robin heals as he attacks via Nosferatu, Hero can heal as part of Command Selection, and Wii Fit Trainer can heal through Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing - so it'd be interesting to see how they balance someone who has that as a more present aspect of her moveset.

Characters from other FF games are entirely possible as well - in fact, we know Bartz Klauser from FFV, Terra Branford from FFVI, and FFIII's Onion Knight were considered prior to Cloud's inclusion in Smash 4 - however, the recent remake of FFVII makes me think they may be inclined to double-dip into FFVII.

Why give Final Fantasy a second rep?

In spite of having Cloud in the game, Final Fantasy is easily the most unrepresented franchise in terms of spirits and music. It has only two songs (direct rips from the original PS1 title) and two spirits (both of which are versions of Cloud using Smash art). While this could be seen as a bad sign for the chances of further representation, I prefer to think of it as a sign of future opportunities still being open!

laughs awkwardly

In all seriousness, Square Enix is a company that enjoys having money. The fact that they allegedly wanted to re-sell Cloud as DLC reflects how he sold well as DLC in Sm4sh. I see no reason that they wouldn't be willing to sell another character to make more money, as callous as that sounds. There is plenty of FF music people would like to see in Smash still and, with a well-crafted character pack, I'm sure they could break the internet with hype all over again.

Stage Ideas:

Midgar, the main location of the opening hours of Final Fantasy VII and the sole location of the remake, is already a stage in Smash Bros; however, there are plenty of other locations as options, such as Shinra Mansion or the Gold Saucer. Alternatively, they also could make a stage based on a more specific location within Midgar, taking from the remake's re-imaginings of places like Seven Heaven or Wall Market. These locations could also have other FFVII party members (or notable NPCs) in the background, as has been routine for DLC stages.

Supporter List:
amageish amageish
R RetrogamerMax

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I somehow didn't consider that this would be the first result of making this thread and now feel dumb in retrospect...

Also, if anyone has a better pun for the title, then that'd be nice...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Aerith isn't my preferred FF7 character to get in as a second rep, but I'd welcome any new FF7 characters so she's cool.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I love the character to death, but I really think she'd work more as an assist trophy than a playable fighter.

amageish

Smash Master
Aerith isn't my preferred FF7 character to get in as a second rep, but I'd welcome any new FF7 characters so she's cool.
That's valid! There are a lot of great choices from the game. Would you like to be put down as a supporter for her?

I love the character to death, but I really think she'd work more as an assist trophy than a playable fighter.
This is a very fair point. While I really want her partly because I think we should have a playable cleric archetype, there may be a reason we've had 75 fighters without one... Healing-primary characters are kind of hard to work with, even though you could justify Aerith doing whatever elemental attacks you want via materia. Her toolset doesn't translate as obviously as Tifa's or Sephy's.

amageish

Smash Master
Am loving the Aerith remix we got.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
The Aerith's Theme remix is definitely a highlight of the pass to me! It's an amazing version of the song. Kind of surprising it took this long to get this epic/dramatic rendition of the theme between Dissidia and all the spin-offs, but still!

Also that meme is perfect. The Buster Piano is great and the Kirby chorus is greater. Does make me kind of wish DLC Mii Costumes would cause Kirby to have special hats though...

Also WOO-HOO WE'RE A MII COSTUME! I never posted about that here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have never played FF7 but since we got Cloud and Sephiroth in, we should try to campaign for Aerith, Tifa and Barret harder so we can have the main FF7 gang in the roster. I support.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I don't know. I feel like Smash Bros. is already drifting away from its 'retro' roster intrigue. I understand that Final Fantasy is a very popular franchise, but it seems that the inclusion of too many life-like, modern, human characters would have a tendency to cause the roster to lean too much in one direction. Plus, if you give an inch, fans will take a mile, so once they add enough of these characters (especially from RPGs, which have extensive casts), people will want more in the next installment, and the pressure will be too great to resist in the installment after that, and so on.

Eventually, most of the roster will consist of this kind of character, and in my opinion, will lose one of its charming qualities-- an emphasis on old-time, historically iconic, cartoon-centric, out-of-this-world classics from Nintendo. Besides, they have already added Cloud and Sephiroth, and they will probably add other characters of this caliber any way if things go as I would predict.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know. I feel like Smash Bros. is already drifting away from its 'retro' roster intrigue. I understand that Final Fantasy is a very popular franchise, but it seems that the inclusion of too many life-like, modern, human characters would have a tendency to cause the roster to lean too much in one direction. Plus, if you give an inch, fans will take a mile, so once they add enough of these characters (especially from RPGs, which have extensive casts), people will want more in the next installment, and the pressure will be too great to resist in the installment after that, and so on.

Eventually, most of the roster will consist of this kind of character, and in my opinion, will lose one of its charming qualities-- an emphasis on old-time, historically iconic, cartoon-centric, out-of-this-world classics from Nintendo. Besides, they have already added Cloud and Sephiroth, and they will probably add other characters of this caliber any way if things go as I would predict.
I mean, the FF7 characters look humanish because they're basically anime gaming characters and anime is Japanese animation and Nintendo is a Japanese company so I think it's normal. Smash hasn't lost it's touch, it's just less Nintendo as it was during the 64/Melee/Brawl days because of all the 3rd party characters coming in. The one thing I would say Smash has lost it's charm in is unlocking characters. Now we are either spoiled by the Internet or have to watch reveal trailers for the new characters. Back in the day, we would have to play through the game and unlock them to figure out who made it in. Unlocking Mewtwo in Melee was a event I will never get to experience again because of the Internet. I remember me and sister were playing Melee late at night and she said she heard Mewtwo was in the game. We played a bunch of matches and she decided to quit. I begged her to play one more match with me and she did. Afterwards, we were greeted with Mewtwo's silhouette in the Challenger Approaching screen and we were screaming off the top of our lungs. It's a night I'll never forget and a character reveal that in my mind, will never be topped by any future reveal trailer.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I mean, the FF7 characters look humanish because they're basically anime gaming characters and anime is Japanese animation and Nintendo is a Japanese company so I think it's normal. Smash hasn't lost it's touch, it's just less Nintendo as it was during the 64/Melee/Brawl days because of all the 3rd party characters coming in. The one thing I would say Smash has lost it's charm in is unlocking characters. Now we are either spoiled by the Internet or have to watch reveal trailers for the new characters. Back in the day, we would have to play through the game and unlock them to figure out who made it in. Unlocking Mewtwo in Melee was a event I will never get to experience again because of the Internet. I remember me and sister were playing Melee late at night and she said she heard Mewtwo was in the game. We played a bunch of matches and she decided to quit. I begged her to play one more match with me and she did. Afterwards, we were greeted with Mewtwo's silhouette in the Challenger Approaching screen and we were screaming off the top of our lungs. It's a night I'll never forget and a character reveal that in my mind, will never be topped by any future reveal trailer.
For me it is not so much about being Japanese as it is the sense of old-timers like Mario either getting dug up from the classics and repurposed for Smash Bros., or getting special attention for star treatment if they were already in Smash Bros. It is nostalgia and familiarity vs. demographic demand and 'newness.' I miss being able to say, 'Well, would you behold. Do you remember him/her ?' Now it appears I am not familiar with most of the source franchises powering the roster. Maybe I am just too rigid, but it would feel to me like a betrayal of the brand to let long-standing icons give way to ever changing FANcies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For me it is not so much about being Japanese as it is the sense of old-timers like Mario either getting dug up from the classics and repurposed for Smash Bros., or getting special attention for star treatment if they were already in Smash Bros. It is nostalgia and familiarity vs. demographic demand and 'newness.' I miss being able to say, 'Well, would you behold. Do you remember him/her ?' Now it appears I am not familiar with most of the source franchises powering the roster. Maybe I am just too rigid, but it would feel to me like a betrayal of the brand to let long-standing icons give way to ever changing FANcies.
Well, I still love Smash as I feel like they still cater to us Retro fans even if it's not mainly us Nintendo fans. Smash celebrates more of gaming's legacy than it does it's relevancy and that to me is fine and dandy.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Well, I still love Smash as I feel like they still cater to us Retro fans even if it's not mainly us Nintendo fans. Smash celebrates more of gaming's legacy than it does it's relevancy and that to me is fine and dandy.
Fair enough... I just hope they do not start cutting veterans from the early days of console gaming in favor of such modern categories as befit Halo and others, which by the way would more popularly swing Smash Bros. away from the rated-E theme (Metal Gear aside-- maybe it would be better if Snake were not in than to set that trajectory???). Do not burn me at the stake though. I can understand if those are dying sentiments.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Fair enough... I just hope they do not start cutting veterans from the early days of console gaming in favor of such modern categories as befit Halo and others, which by the way would more popularly swing Smash Bros. away from the rated-E theme (Metal Gear aside-- maybe it would be better if Snake were not in than to set that trajectory???). Do not burn me at the stake though. I can understand if those are dying sentiments.
I agree with you other than the fact Master Chief does deserve a spot in Smash since he is the Xbox's mascot. Chief is to the Xbox brand what Mario, Sonic and Crash are to the Nintendo, Sega and PlayStation brands.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I agree with you other than the fact Master Chief does deserve a spot in Smash since he is the Xbox's mascot. Chief is to the Xbox brand what Mario, Sonic and Crash are to the Nintendo, Sega and PlayStation brands.
Really (blush)? I did not know that. I have heard of Halo many times, and I keep hearing 'Master Chief,' and I knew what genre of game Halo was, and I knew its rating, and I knew it was very popular, but I never knew this Master Chief was a flagship of Xbox, if it is as you say. That perhaps changes (almost) everything . I would still be disturbed if there was too 'M'uch in Smash Bros., but I totally concede on the point of your last post.

amageish

Smash Master
I have never played FF7 but since we got Cloud and Sephiroth in, we should try to campaign for Aerith, Tifa and Barret harder so we can have the main FF7 gang in the roster. I support.
Oh, uh, welcome aboard! Honestly wasn't expecting this thread to get much attention post-Sephiroph, but you've been added to the support list.

I'm unsure where I fall on future FF7 inclusions at this point, as I'd feel really bad for FF6/Terra fans at that point... I am still very interested in some version of a cleric in Smash Bros though, as I think one could make for a really unique moveset.

I mean, you're obviously welcome to your own opinion on roster picks, but I'll admit I am slightly confused why you're discussing this here? As, like, ignoring the human > cartoon part (which is subjective preference), Aerith is from an old-time, historically-iconic classic? Obviously FFVII is topical again due to the remake, but it's not like Mario isn't getting games now either...

amageish

Smash Master
You are right. This is not the best place to post that; I had that opinion for a while, so when I saw this, I essentially lost sight of the main purpose of this thread. My mistake.
Thanks for understanding. I get the sentiment; there's just better places on the boards to have it.

Anyway... Here's my attempt at making an Aerith Mii! Her costume is fun.

Ep6HZXWVgAA7A5t.jpeg

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Thanks for understanding. I get the sentiment; there's just better places on the boards to have it.

Anyway... Here's my attempt at making an Aerith Mii! Her costume is fun.

View attachment 297925
Way to garner support. I must ask though, why exactly is Final Fantasy such a big name with so many entries, discounting of course that it belongs to the increasingly popular RPG genre? It appears that no talk of modern gaming I have seen was ever entirely without mention of the franchise.

amageish

Smash Master
Way to garner support. I must ask though, why exactly is Final Fantasy such a big name with so many entries, discounting of course that it belongs to the increasingly popular RPG genre? It appears that no talk of modern gaming I have seen was ever entirely without mention of the franchise.
Oof, big question. Let me give it a try.

I think it's similar-ish to most legacy franchises: It was the defining JRPG series on the NES/SNES (globally, at least, as Dragon Quest does exist in Japan and both predates and helped inspire Final Fantasy), then it just kind of kept going? Brand recognition grew over time, notably with FFVII, which released to both critical and popular acclaim, being a lot of people's first primarily story-driven game experience. The franchise's willingness to play with its own formulas has ensured it continues to modernize and isn't just repeating itself... Its variety in tone/locations/mechanics also ensures that most people who like adventure games will have something they like - sometimes they're high fantasy, sometimes they're sci-fi-y, sometimes they're mythology-y, etc. etc.

Once you have a good reputation, you tend to get attention...

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Oof, big question. Let me give it a try.

I think it's similar-ish to most legacy franchises: It was the defining JRPG series on the NES/SNES (globally, at least, as Dragon Quest does exist in Japan and both predates and helped inspire Final Fantasy), then it just kind of kept going? Brand recognition grew over time, notably with FFVII, which released to both critical and popular acclaim, being a lot of people's first primarily story-driven game experience. The franchise's willingness to play with its own formulas has ensured it continues to modernize and isn't just repeating itself... Its variety in tone/locations/mechanics also ensures that most people who like adventure games will have something they like - sometimes they're high fantasy, sometimes they're sci-fi-y, sometimes they're mythology-y, etc. etc.

Once you have a good reputation, you tend to get attention...
Well, that makes sense. I know a couple of people who have played Final Fantasy games, and it seems like each time they show me, it is never a consistent, easy to pin down theme, and one of them told me it had a particularly rich plot. I should have known this was the work of outreach marketing! Anyway, I shall have a look.

amageish

Smash Master
Her costume is adorable and I'm both really surpised and glad she got one.

(but Aerith has green eyes not blue.)
I do love her costume for sure.

And, uh, no idea how I messed that one up. Whoops!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Aertih stained glass art.

Top Bottom