• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Movement Speed can be better

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Characters are faster in general now, and they jump 'up' pretty fast, and somehow along with that, it feels to me like some characters' aerial (horizontal - left and right) movement speed is slow. Namely Pikachu, Fox, and Squirtle. That's just from the characters that were in the e3 demo. (Note: Sheik is like that too but she's always been like that even in melee) In example, look at Pikachu run really fast on the ground but then when he jumps his horizontal speed feels incredibly slow compared to the run, and compared to most other characters. It's been a bit like that since brawl, but it stands out more now I find.

At first I thought squirtle was really fast, and he is in certain ways, but actually is not even that fast when running, and pretty slow looking (horizontally) in the air -- and actually that speed is around that of ivysaur and even charizard. That's a little weird to me, and I hope they upgrade it,.. I'd love to see squirtle as an actual fast-ish character. I don't how many people have noticed what I'm talking about yet, though I have heard of wanting back momentum from running on the ground in jumping, like in melee. At the very least it would be nice if characters could travel in the air at a speed that feels good (and matches more the increased speed of the game).
I hope this gets noticed, I'm pumped for sbbu and I'd love to play a nice air game with all these characters.

Anybody feel me? :)

Last edited:

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
Having momentum from running transfer into the air like it originally did in the other games that'd be amazing. I won't understand why they ever removed that feature, but it made the game and combos feel so much more fluid and satisfying.

I feel you.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do actually love that about melee, and it'd be great to have some of that back somehow, but honestly I don't mind not having it that much as long as aerial speed is decent. I think the characters i mentioned and more could definitely use more horizonal aerial speed, and personally I'd love for squirtle to have more because right now it doesn't feel quite right. Hopefully it gets tweeked.

Last edited:

ssjayy

Smash Rookie
M2K said characters retain no momentum in jump from dash. :( This addition would passively make comboing and edge guarding better. I really hope it gets added back in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it's probably a stretch for them to add momemtum now, it might be hard to balance, dunno. But I do think they can improve aerial mobility for some characters. Let's hope they do. *fingers crossed*

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Squirtle still looks just as fast in the air though? It's Ivysaur and Charizard that got better in that regard, not Squirtle getting nerfed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom