• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Grab Release Advantage

[jumpname]tableofcontents[/jumpname]
{colsp=2}
Table of Contents

0|[jumpto=thelamestuff]The Lame Stuff[/jumpto]
1|[jumpto=thebasics]The Basics[/jumpto]
1.1|[jumpto=whatthisdealswith]What This Deals With[/jumpto]
1.2|[jumpto=tan]Terminology and Notation[/jumpto]
1.3|[jumpto=buffering]What is Buffering?[/jumpto]
1.4|[jumpto=agr]What is an Aerial Grab Release?[/jumpto]
2|[jumpto=aerialgrabreleasingindepth]Aerial Grab Releasing in Depth[/jumpto]
3|[jumpto=aerialgrabreleaseadvantage'suses]Aerial Grab Release Advantage's Uses[/jumpto]
3.1|[jumpto=forwardsmash]Forward Smash[/jumpto]
3.2|[jumpto=forwardtilt]Forward Tilt[/jumpto]
3.3|[jumpto=downsmash]Down Smash[/jumpto]

Not really. But he sure does make ROB look it because of

Aerial Grab Release Advantage

a godsend in this matchup IMO.

[jumpname]thelamestuff[/jumpname]
0) The Lame Stuff

Yeah, I figured I'd start with the lame stuff this time. This thread deals entirely with aerial grab releases, but I thought I'd just throw in
that, when a grounded grab release occurs, ROB's FAF is F30, while Wario's is F31. This give you a measly 1 frame of advantage, which really isn't good for anything, it's just there. Anyhow, moving on.

[Jumpto=tableofcontents]Table of Contents[/Jumpto]

[jumpname]thebasics[/jumpname]
1) The Basics

[jumpname]whatthisdealswith[/jumpname]
What This Deals With

This thread, from this point on, deals entirely with what you can do to Wario in the case of an aerial grab release. Also, most of it is at the
edge, where you usually have a guaranteed aerial grab release due to the high probability that Wario is dangling offstage while in your grasp. Yep.

[jumpname]tan[/jumpname]
Terminology and Notation

When you see an "F" either preceding or succeeding a number, know that that "F" means "frame" if it precedes, or "frames" if it succeeds.
Examples: "Input ROFLCopter on F32 (frame 32) of a short hop to execute a ROFLCopter groundboost." "The strong, initial hitbox of Fair lasts 2F
(2 frames.)" Second, First Actionable Frame, or FAF, is the term used when referring to the frame in which an action actually starts being
executed, when buffering, or the first frame an action can be input and have is begin to be executed the next frame. For example, when I said
that ROB's FAF in a grounded grab break is F30, that means that any action buffered from F19-F29 will have ROB starting it on F30, seeing
as all actions take 1F to be executed after the input (the input being "F0"). Or, if you're not buffering, F30 is your first "lag-free" frame;
inputting jump on this frame would result with it being executed immediately, on F31. However, most of the stuff here has buffering involved, so any FAFs I give will be for buffering.

[jumpname]buffering[/jumpname]
What is Buffering?

Buffering - Performing an action before the end of a current action within 10 (ten) frames. It causes the next action to happen immediately after the current action.

Simply put, buffering is inputting an action while near the end of another to have the inputted, or buffered, action be executed as soon
as possible. Now, if you want to get all technical about it (and even if you don't, too bad), to buffer you must input your desired buffers
within 10F of the move's Allow Interrupt (Notice I said "Allow Interrupt" instead of IASA. This is because not all moves have IASA.
IASA is being able to interrupt a move before its animation ends, and some moves cannot be interrupted before the animation ends.)

[jumpname]agr[/jumpname]
What is an Aerial Grab Release?

Grab Release [Universal] - Escaping from being in your opponent's grasp. There are two variations of this: a grounded grab release and an aerial grab release.

Air Release [Universal] – Grab releasing where the character goes airborne. This occurs when the one being grabbed has their feet above ground and isn’t being hit by a pummel. It can also occur when the one being grabbed inputs a jump and isn’t being hit by a pummel.​

[jumpname]aerialgrabreleasingindepth[/jumpname]
2) Aerial Grab Releasing in Depth

Why do Aerial Grab Releases Occur?

Put simply, the guy you're grabbing has to press a jump button while struggling. Frame-wise, Wario only has to input 1 jump command from F19-F35. The weird thing is, it seems that inputting jumps after F35 won't result in an aerial grab release. I'll look into this more, but it
really isn't a top priority. Chances are a Wario you're grabbing will hit X, Y, or up on the analogue stick early on in their mashing.

Basic Aerial Grab Release Frame Advantage

Code:
               [U]R.O.B.[/U]          [U]Wario[/U]
Buffer Frames  F19-F29         F40-F50
FAF            F30             F51
Total Frame Advantage: +21F

[jumpname]aerialgrabreleaseadvantage'suses[/jumpname]
3) Aerial Grab Release Advantage's Uses

All of these frame maps begin on the first frame an aerial grab release begins. In columns containing a slash, the values before the slash are for the earliest hits, and the values after the slash are for the latest hits.

[jumpname]forwardsmash[/jumpname]
Forward Smash

{colsp=5}
Edge​
FSmash Type
|
Input Frame
|
Hold "A" Frames
|
Release "A" Frame
|
Hit Frame
Un-Angled, Charging
|
F19
|
F20-F39 / F20-F46
|
F40 / F47
|
F45 / F51
Un-Angled, Not Charging
|
F31 / F38
|
|
|
F45 / F51
Hi-Angled, Charging ¹
|
F19
|
F19-F46
|
F47
|
F51
Hi-Angled, Not Charging
|
F19-29 ² / F38
|
F30-F40 / F39-F49 ²
|
|
F42 / F51
Lo-Angled, Charging
|
F19
|
F20-F43 / F20-F46
|
F44 / F47 ³
|
F49 / F51
Lo-Angled, Not Charging
|
F35 / F38
|
F36-F48 / F39-F49 ²
|
|
F49 / F51

{colsp=5}
Stage​
FSmash Type
|
Input Frame
|
Hold "A" Frames
|
Release "A" Frame
|
Hit Frame
Un-Angled, Charging
|
F19
|
F20-F40 / F20-F46
|
F41 / F47
|
F46 / F51
Un-Angled, Not Charging
|
F32 / F38
|
|
|
F46 / F51
Hi-Angled, Charging ¹
|
F19
|
F19-F46
|
F47
|
F51
Hi-Angled, Not Charging
|
F19-29 ² / F38
|
F30-F40 / F39-F49 ²
|
|
F42 / F51
Lo-Angled, Charging
|
F19
|
F20-F43 / F20-F46
|
F44 / F47 ³
|
F49 / F51
Lo-Angled, Not Charging
|
F35 / F38
|
F36-F48 / F39-F49 ²
|
|
F49 / F51
[Collapse=Footnotes]¹Charging a Hi-Angled FSmash at the edge, one can hold "A" from F19-F46. The latest release frame that still hits is F47 and it hits on F51. The release frame and hit frame both vary, as they are dependent on how long one wishes to hold "A"
²For the input frame, one can input FSmash on any of those ten frames, as they are buffer frames. The rest of the frames are not dependent on when one inputs their FSmash. For both Hi- and Lo-Angled Not Charging FSmashes, the values in the "Hold "A" Frames" column are actually for holding up or down on the analogue stick
³After releasing "A", hold down on the analogue stick until the hit frame
[/COLLAPSE][Jumpto=tableofcontents]Table of Contents[/Jumpto]

[jumpname]forwardtilt[/jumpname]
Forward Tilt

{colsp=4}
Edge​
FTilt Type
|
Input Frame
|
Hold Analogue Stick Frames
|
Hit Frame
Un-Angled
|
F38 / F44
|
|
F47 / F51
Hi-Angled
|
F36 / F44
|
F37-F44 / F45-F50
|
F45 / F51
Lo-Angled
|
F40 / F44
|
F41-F48 / F45-F50
|
F49 / F51

{colsp=4}
Stage​
FTilt Type
|
Input Frame
|
Hold Analogue Stick Frames
|
Hit Frame
Un-Angled
|
F39 / F44
|
|
F48 / F51
Hi-Angled
|
F37 / F44
|
F38-F45 / F45-F50
|
F46 / F51
Lo-Angled
|
F41 / F44
|
F42-F49 / F45-F50
|
F50 / F51

[jumpname]downsmash[/jumpname]
Down Smash

{colsp=5}
Down Smash​
DSmash Type
|
Input Frame
|
Hold "A" Frames
|
Release "A" Frame
|
Hit Frame
Charging ¹
|
F19
|
F20-F37
|
F38
|
F51
Not Charging
|
F37
|||
F51

**** you guys i worked hard on this :c

@ Sudai Sudai please sticky

Also I'm bumping because I'm going to update/finish this, so please no infract

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I love you, @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans
Sorry for never commenting on this myself as I loved stuff like this. Thanks for putting all the hard work into this. I'm used to trying really hard to find the fine details of a situation and ppl just don't even take the time to see its use.
But yeah, thanks again.

Top Bottom