• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Glide Tossing

phantom train

Smash Rookie
I am new to playing R.O.B. (and smash) but I was wondering how important aerial glide tossing is as R.O.B. I think it could be used to help recover but I am not sure of anything else. Does anyone know what it could be used for?

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
If you want to go somewhere and throw an item you aerial glide toss it or glide toss it. Since there is always somewhere I want to be (EX: Moving backwards to make space for a charged laser or moving forward for a boost aerial or Ftilt) I honestly use it every time I throw an item. Also aerial glide tosses move further vertically than they do horizontally. Here's an entire video about AGT with R.O.B https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7rWtMwZvKY&list=FLpyB-Z4hIM4F_cbhAtjvqbg&index=5

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Using AGT is kinda something you figure out naturally. Dandizzle hit it straight on though. It's like, if you want to throw an item while airborne, and could also reposition yourself, just choose where you want to reposition yourself. You need to understand neutral game spacing though before you can know how you should position yourself. It's very useful, and I especially like AGTs to fight on spawn invinc- You can boost around above them, saving one, then AGT up throwing down, then boost forward with a nair as they run outta invinc. If they run into the gyro, it knocks them into the nair, so you cover all that space between the two, it's kinda hilarious. All sometimes I run offstage and waste my double jump as a bait while they have their invinc, then I'll up glide toss forward so I grab the edge and throw the gyro onto the stage. If it hits them I can start edge pressure from there. Remember that even if gyro bounces off them while invincible, it will still get the strong hit on them again when they are vulnerable as long as it's still bouncing/moving.
Glide tosses have a million and 1 uses and having a gyro in ROB's hand is pretty much the best thing at all times, but since you just asked about AGTs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

phantom train

Smash Rookie
Is AGTing a good oos option? I feel like if the gyro hits than you could follow up with a side-b aerial.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
it would just be a glide toss if you did it from the ground, and yea its R.O.B's quickest one, combos into DACUS pretty free. Usually if they are on top of you just throw it down while moving forward or backward then DACUS. You could get other things off of it but DACUS always seemed like the best because of the percent it does plus it's ability to kill floaties/combo into itself on some faster falling characters.

Last edited:

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
I especially like AGTs to fight on spawn invinc- You can boost around above them, saving one, then AGT up throwing down, then boost forward with a nair as they run outta invinc. If they run into the gyro, it knocks them into the nair, so you cover all that space between the two, it's kinda hilarious.
this is what i do at the beginning of like half of my opponents' stocks, it's so good haha. mixing it up so that you AGT in other directions (still throwing the gyro downward) is fun too. i love when they shield the n-air and get pushed into the gyro and get poked
you get a free u-tilt/grab if you hit the n-air too

@ phantom train phantom train if you have any questions about the AGT video please feel free to ask, i'm here to halp

Last edited:

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
what do people feel about the viability of 'stamping' (making the top bounce higher with agt down near the ground). i feel like it could be really awesome but it seems like it would be tough to get it consistently

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I don't see it being terribly useful. typically what you would really use it for would be to drop the top for a second, do something to the opponent, then pick the top back up say for, an edgeguard
like throw down top to bounce, throw opponent off stage, regrab gyro for edguarding purpose
but there's never a guarantee that they won't hit you instead, or that you'll hit them, or w/e, so you may just give them a better opportunity to steal it from you instead
I've done similar things by throwing it upwards which obviously wouldn't be quite as good but it does give me time to play out a quick pressure based neutral. Only do it if I have them cornered though, and doing it with a platform overhead isn't that good. But the threat of the top coming back down on top of them or the threat of being trapped there until it does makes people make bad decisions quite often. So then you can just play boost fair on shield->mix-up games, space tilts and jab, and DD a lot or crouch to hold position and hope they approach you, and if they do you get a punish (potentially enhanced by the gyro if it comes back down at the right time). If they do nothing you go in with top coming down just in time to make your whiff safe, or just in time to grab it if you don't whiff. Stamping the gyro doesn't really give you time to do all this- anything more than like, a throw, a boost fair, a laser, whatever, and the gyro will disappear.

1up has some janky combos with it in that one video but none of that really seems practical as it kinda relies on the opponent being braindead and giving you time to set that up, or even just staying in a spot where you can grab them and throw them into the gyro instead of like retreating, which is what 90% of decent players will do 90% of the time if you get close enough to grab them, and the other 10% of the time they'll rush in, which will beat your "stamp" attempt or follow-up grab or w/e so even if they do eat the gyro afterwards, they've stopped your punish because they knocked you away.

Sneez

Smash Apprentice
ya im sure it has limited uses, i think if i ever bother to learn to do it consistently i'd use it for retreating and edgeguarding. i think if it would be cool if you could stamp into wavelanding off the stage and grabbing ledge, it would cover a lot of options. not sure its possible and even if it is it would be really hard.

Top Bottom