• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice to your younger self

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
If you could go back and talk to your younger smasher self, what sort of advice would you give?

For example, I would tell myself to not spend so much time on Luigi and try out more characters early on to get a broader feel for the game and to learn more tech beyond wave dashing and wave landing.

What about you? Would you tell yourself to play a different character? Focus on a different way to improve?

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Well there are two possible younger selves that I could talk to.

If it's my 14 year old self (I'm 20 now), I'd tell him to never sell the Gamecube even if all it did for him was play Melee. Selling video games is a dumb idea anyway. I probably wouldn't tell him anything about competitive Smash.

I picked up the game competitively a little under a year ago now (still learning a lot), but I suppose I'd tell myself to quit being such a ***** with Falco's lasers. They became a crutch that prevented me from focusing on other aspects of my gameplay.

Armada

Smash Lord
Once again you put the main problem here (you) into something else.
Im not, in any way, trying to say I was handling all of this even close to perfect.

But the thing is that you put SO much time into what everyone else has done. You should focus MUCH more about your own problems. If you would not act like a **** to severall of people this would never have happend. I guess blaming me makes it easier for you to handle all of the **** you have done.

With everything you have done I think it is pretty clear you have big problems. Think more about that instead of trying to make me look worse and I think you have a better chance of solving the problems you do have.

Edit: A perfect advice for myself would have been if I told myself that you have to kick people in their ass tons of times if you wanna have any chance at all to make them realize what they do is wrong.

Armada

Smash Lord
WOW

Do you really try to imply I have no idea what you have done?
I guess TONS of people is all lying just because everyone feel good about themselfs if we punish you.

I know A LOT of the stuff you have done. In one way Im happy that I don't know every single detail cause what I know already is WAY more then enough. But yeah once again trying to deny what you have done. ACCEPT what you have done and work from their. This way will never ever help you when it comes to changeing yourself.

I told you I saw all the posts you did on the Swedish boards as a way trying to get your spot back more then work on yourself as a person. You told me that's not true but when I come back to the boards one week later I see not a single sign of what you told me then was true.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If I were starting from scratch I'd learn how to play with claw or "keyboard" style (Javi claw). I'd also learn to L-cancel without depressing the shoulder buttons all the way and to JC grab with Y instead of up. If you are just starting out do yourself a favor and learn proper controller technique.

Armada

Smash Lord
You have showed your true colours TONS of times to TONS of different people. That is not a single misstake or anything like that. I do hope you are working on changeing yourself but with the way you handle this I can't say Im very impressed cause it is so much more about how other people have acted then yourself when YOU clearly are the biggest problem in all of this.

You have never done anything ban worthy towards me, that's true. But tons of times you have showed the worst sportmanship I ever experienced in my life. Also making lies to make me look as a worse player (and you better). Already told you about the story about PM on KFC. Slynus was laughing so hard when he realized you had been lying. Also you always try very hard to take everything away from my victories.

So yes nothing ban worthy but a lot of times you have acted bad.

"manipulative hypocrite"
Was just gonna say the same about you. You have also proved severall of times for severall of people that this is a huge part of who you are. Once again trying to dodge all the things you have done.

"The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance."

Armada

Smash Lord
Im not excusing what I did. Im sorry I was so stupid/naive that I thought you would change but that doesn't change the fact I should have acted earlier. I know I was handling that part badly, I admit that.

In this post I have already acceptated my misstake more then you and you have tons of more misstakes and over a WAY longer time.
The fact you are even trying to make me look as a worse person then you is something I find extremly sad since it once again shows you have a VERY long road before you will be able to change yourself.

Ofc you find true quotes about changeing yourself hilarious cause you are not EVEN close to truley change yourself into a better person. Also very sad but clearly true.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Armada vs Leffen? We no need conflict. Some people know that they did things wrong, but others don't have to point it out.

Come on people. we don't need drama. Were all friends, and we do the same thing.

SMASH! ☮ :)

leffen

Smash Champion
I'm sorry guys, I messed up. I was just so tired of getting constantly hit while I'm already down that I snapped.

It won't happen again =/

RanokiRedhair

Smash Rookie
To stop being so shy and seek out other people to play. Become less frustrated when you play poorly, and take better care of yourself both mentally and physically as many factors contribute to how you play.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
Leffen: Your credibility goes even lower when you edit/remove your posts afterwards. :/

To younger me: Start playing Yoshi earlier. :)

D

Deleted member

i would have told myself to be sexually submissive to kirbykaze.

real talk, i'd have told my past self to not play super smash bros. melee

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I would tell him to seek out competition much earlier or train in something that has a competitive nature. In that case, I'm sure I would've had a lot more confidence in myself and not start this late to seek out my dreams. *sigh* I was so empty before. =(

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I would tell him not to main Link. Heck, I'd tell him not to even mess with Melee.

dkuo

Smash Lord
idk i dont have any advice or suggestions to myself
i liked my 'journey' of sorts, coming to realize things the way i did was very enlightening

oh actually
maybe id tell myself to spend less time playing melee during college :p

Insom

Smash Apprentice
I'd tell myself I'm not as good as I think I am, and even if/when I DO become that could, there is still room for improvement.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I would tell myself to not join my High School Pit orchestra so that I could get a job sooner, and then, by extension, a car. Other than that, I am advancing pretty rapidly. I'm feeling confident and getting close to beating many known players in my region. I'm taking major steps toward improvement, and I'm about to start making a name for myself. It's only been nine months.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
shoulda played ****ing melee

brawl was a placeholder for your true love

listen to your heart

don't give away the gamecube
**** the wii menu screen

Graymatter

Smash Cadet
I would have told my younger self to main falco and to practice his advanced techs... and also not to spend most of my time playing brawl.

Top Bottom