• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on using tilts?

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
It took a while, but I finally learned how to use tilts. The only issue now is that I have a really hard time using them in a battle situation. If I try to get them off quickly I find myself doing Smash attacks, and this is without the Tap Jump on.

Is there any advice to using tilts effectively besides "just get better"? I feel like the only way I can use them the way I want to is if I set my tilts to the C-Stick, but the issue with that is that there are characters who I prefer to use tilts with and characters I prefer to use Smash Attacks with (ex: Mewtwo v. Dark Pit). I'd have to keep switching back and forth--I really just want to be able to use them on the fly.

Any advice?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
This is a really predictable thing to say, but I'll do it anyways: Practice.
I suggest going into training mode and just getting the input down. Try pushing it lightly (after all, it's called a tilt). After you're done, try it against a CPU. If you can use tilts consistently, when you want to use them, then you're good to go.

Last edited:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I used to be the same way when I was playing Brawl. I just played, and it came naturally over time. I can't remember a time I've missed a tilt. (Utilt was the one I had trouble with, the rest, nope) Now don't get me wrong, it took me a while to do Up Tilt consistently.

Just use them consistently (or whenever the situation calls for a tilt) and you should get it down.

Or go into practice mode like AreJay said and try to do tilts over and over. Start from neutral position on the Joy Stick, and do yours tilts. After every tilt, or after a couple, reset back to the neutral position. Afterwards, try doing this while moving around. (Walking, not dashing)

I'm thinking of Up Tilts when I say this though, I never had a problem with Forward or Down Tilt because Forward Tilt is used out of the walking animation, and Down Tilt out of crouch, while Up Tilt is a little tight being if you go to fast, you could jump (unless tap jump is off) or smash attack.

Last edited:

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
Practice being more smooth with the joy stick. I know this one guy who always complains that the controls suck because he can never do tilts, but that's because he's always jamming the stick and overall being too forceful. The key is to always be relaxed and in a way train yourself to make your controller an extension of your body........ew now I'm thinking of a GameCube controller for a hand

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
You're going to have to take it slow at first. Start by just using jabs. (Neutral A) Then just smashes. (Side + A)

Everything in between those are tilts. (Side then A)

Good luck!

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Just in case you or anyone else did not know, tilts can be performed without the stick being moved all the way. This is especially useful for up-tilts as you will not jump and you also won't smash attack. It takes practice and it may or may not be useful for you depending on your character.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I used to be the same way when I was playing Brawl. I just played, and it came naturally over time. I can't remember a time I've missed a tilt. (Utilt was the one I had trouble with, the rest, nope) Now don't get me wrong, it took me a while to do Up Tilt consistently.

Just use them consistently (or whenever the situation calls for a tilt) and you should get it down.

Or go into practice mode like AreJay said and try to do tilts over and over. Start from neutral position on the Joy Stick, and do yours tilts. After every tilt, or after a couple, reset back to the neutral position. Afterwards, try doing this while moving around. (Walking, not dashing)

I'm thinking of Up Tilts when I say this though, I never had a problem with Forward or Down Tilt because Forward Tilt is used out of the walking animation, and Down Tilt out of crouch, while Up Tilt is a little tight being if you go to fast, you could jump (unless tap jump is off) or smash attack.
This is good advice, though after a bit you'll have an issue applying your tactics in a real battle scenario due to the extra pressure. If you need to practice while against people instead, try setting a goal during play. "I need to use at least 5 d-tilts this match", or "I need to do 3 pivoted f-tilts" will allow you to focus on looking for openings only for these actions. You'll probably lose the match, but that isn't important since you're main focus is training your mind and body to capitalize on openings. Once you have one down, move on to the next until you feel comfortable working around the different tools available. You'll be sacrificing your short term victories for a better, more robust play-style later.

sonicmega

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicmega
3DS FC
1306-5031-6241
Practice is really the answer. Go on For Glory and use the (generally low) average opponent difficulty level to give yourself plenty of chances to land/experiment with your tilts, and just get more comfortable with the inputs.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
This is good advice, though after a bit you'll have an issue applying your tactics in a real battle scenario due to the extra pressure. If you need to practice while against people instead, try setting a goal during play. "I need to use at least 5 d-tilts this match", or "I need to do 3 pivoted f-tilts" will allow you to focus on looking for openings only for these actions. You'll probably lose the match, but that isn't important since you're main focus is training your mind and body to capitalize on openings. Once you have one down, move on to the next until you feel comfortable working around the different tools available. You'll be sacrificing your short term victories for a better, more robust play-style later.
Yeah, it'll cause you to have habits, but you could always fix those habits later either way works imp, but it may take a little bit longer focusing on two things. (Executing, and applying tilts)

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Actually, I think I'm gonna start doing this tomorrow

Top Bottom