• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on dealing with Ganon?

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Hey all. So, despite what a lot of people may think, my opinion is that the jigglypuff ganon match up is fairly even. While Ganon is easily gimpable, in my experience, he is very difficult to beat in neutral. And I'm not talking about low tier to mid tier ganons - almost all of my 900 plus hours of smash ultimate is puff. I'm talking about ganons that know their character inside and out, combos, jab lock tech, etc. Where I'm struggling against ganons that match me in skill is that everything seems to trade, and I'm too slow to punish his laggier moves such as wizard kick. By far the most frustrating tool in his kit to deal with is neutral air. I'm completely lost on how to counter short hop neutral air walls. It beats out or trades with every single puff aerial - every single one. And he falls too fast to try and catch the landing with dash or grab consistently. I'm pretty talented at ledge guarding ganon, but that's only if I'm lucky enough to knock him off stage and I'm close by. If I knock him off to the opposite side, I'm just too slow to make it there in time. His jab is also lighting quick and interrupts my bread and butter pound into fair into nair/fair, into nair into fair, [continue variation] combos. So, top tier puffs, how do play around ganons neutral tools?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I know this is sarcasm, but seriously the best strategy against Ganon is don't get hit. Worry about combos and punishes second to Not Getting Hit.

This does NOT mean be afraid of Ganon, or play overly defensive. It just means respect him, know what he can do, and avoid those big, nasty hitboxes.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
I would have preferred you just didn't post if that was going to be the extent of it. But thanks I guess. Realistically speaking, if you're focusing mainly on avoiding ganonss hitboxes you're just going to get pressured to the ledge in 10 seconds.

I'll just try to find a ganon main to play consistent friendlies with and learn the micro spacing.

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Well, Ganon likes pressing big buttons. If you challenge him in neutral you're just gonna get doriyah'd at 30-ish%. Just do stuff like falling Fair into grabs and hope he messes up so you can gimp him. Bair is not good against him cuz stuff like his Nair and Uair hits at like frame 4 or 5. He's actually faster than Puff in that regard. You're not fighting a good Ganon if all he does is Wizard Kick on full screen.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
if you having trouble punishing wizard kick i dont know what to say, but this short hop or even fullhop nair is annoying but the landing is still punishable, try a foward air or nair to punish you move faster in the air than in the ground, try to parry more too i know its kinda hard but lot of ganons moves have slow start up so its works more that you think. When he low % try going for cross up aerials, pounds, and grabs cuz your knockback on aerial moves and hit stun is so low he will be able to punish otherwise ( that goes for other charaters too), try not to trade with his moves, just wait for a wiff and punish, learn his distance and yours so you have time to punish, when he doing nairs try rolling behind him or short hop airdodge behind him, and just try to avoid trading hits at all cost, make him look for you, try not to play to aggro.

Ethan Weegee

Smash Cadet
"Don't get hit." is actually sound advice. As Jigglypuff, you'll have an easier time juggling him with aerials. That being said, respect his options, because it only takes a few good punishes for him to kill you.

Jaronimo

Smash Rookie
So, like you said, the Puff/Ganon matchup isn't as Puff positive as people like to believe, just listen to H-Box, he thinks Puff loses. I personally agree, the problem with Puff for me, is when she gets in too close for my ranged attacks, (Nair, FSmash, UpSmash, and Fair) to stop her. When a Puff gets in, it puts me on my toes and I wanna retreat and get out of there to re-establish Nuetral. As far as I know, your aerials will beat out mine, if spaced properly and aimed above or below my hitboxes. Don't forget your crouch, that beats out Wiz-kick, but not Flame Choke so look out for that. Be careful, of course, of reverse edge-guarding, Gaon's UpAir is fast and hits hard, it's amazing as a defensive tool offstage. But if you bait it out or beat him to it with your Nair, he's done for.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
It's been awhile since I posted this thread. I don't really struggle with the ganon matchup as much anymore. I still lose to the occasional one ganon here and there but it's pretty rare (like 2 out of 10) and almost always it's because I did something stupid.

What really helped was practicing spot dodges and when to do them, they're actually a decent aspect of my neutral now. I don't get punished with grab or dash attack combos nearly as much. If the ganon is camping with neutral air I'll just stand there until he commits to an option because I know he can't force anything.

And what the above poster said is also pretty important, always be mindful of up air off stage.

CitrusJigglypuff

Smash Rookie
Focus on whiff punishing and getting grabs. Ganon SUCKSSSS offstage so fthrow is great, and depending on the % it's at worst a 50/50 of him dying. Sometimes the throw alone causes him to not make it back. As long as you don't hold forward and get hit by something silly, you'll be fine.

Top Bottom