• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Advice on Custom Controls?

SupaFugDup

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5207-2372-0820
So, I've always owned and played Smash games, but never past a button-mashing party game level of play. Nowadays, with Ultimate looming, I'm becoming more invested in getting better at the game, which, naturally involves learning the controls lol.

So I went into controls and changed them to suit my gaming background (Heavy focus on triggers and bumpers, with my index fingers on bumpers, and middle fingers on triggers):
(On Wii U Gamepad/Standard Controller)
Tap Jump: Off
C-Stick: Tilts
ZL: Grab
L: Shield
ZR: Attack
R: Special
Any Face Button: Jump
D-Pad: Taunts

This allows me to input anything simultaneously save for taunts and Jump.... So my real question is, before I start trying to get really used to this layout, is there any reason this is a bad setup?

I feel like there must be a glaring issue that I can't see due to ignorance, or I'd see it advocated more. I know it can't be replicated on the 3DS or GC Controller, but I don't own either, so it doesn't really apply to me personally.

Thank you all in advance for any advice!

Last edited:

Tbro

Smash Cadet
You can't do things like jump-cancelling or glide tossing without an attack button on the face. The way my controls are is the standard a to attack, b special, x or y to jump, Z to grab, and L/R to shield. But I have C-stick set to smash attack and tap jump off. It all comes down to personal preference, but I wouldn't recommend sacrificing useful tech. Also a GameCube controller is a good investment if you want to play smash frequently, as the game was designed for that controller

C-stick to attack is probably better and I'm strongly considering changing my control scheme in that way

SupaFugDup

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5207-2372-0820
You can't do things like jump-cancelling or glide tossing without an attack button on the face.
With my scheme glide tossing would be:

Hold L for shield, tilt left or right with the Control Stick to roll, followed up with ZL for the throw.

And Jump canceling would just be hitting the jump button on the face of the controller, Followed by a fast up B or up Smash (Or in my case up R or up ZR respectively)

How would the placement of the attack button affect anything?

Top Bottom