• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for playing multiple smash games competitively at a time?

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
(I dont know if this is the right thread to put this in)Whenever smash ultimate releases I plan to play it competitively alongside melee. Im worried this might create holes in my play, but ive seen players like M2K do it with melee and brawl. Does anyone have any general advice for playing multiple smash games at once/personal experience to share? I would greatly appreciate it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
My honest advice? Don't. Mew2King is a very special player in a lot of ways, but look beyond him. You generally saw very little Melee/Brawl or Melee/4 overlap, and moreso than people only liking one game, it's just a time question I think. Playing a game competitively is a huge time investment, and I think most of us (myself included) that wish we'd place higher can mostly blame it on not putting in enough time to improve. If you do two games at once, you cut your time in half with each game on top of any messed up muscle memory or mental mistakes from trying to apply gameplay concepts from one game to another improperly.

IMO the best approach is to spend the first month or so of Ultimate giving it a really serious try, taking a vacation from Melee during that time, and then evaluate what you want to do from there based on how you feel about both games. Pick a game and make it your focus going forward. Maybe if you're still friends with the local scene for the other you enter events for fun on the side while you're focusing on your main game, but definitely you're best off having one main game that is the only game you're serious about improving at.

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
My honest advice? Don't. Mew2King is a very special player in a lot of ways, but look beyond him. You generally saw very little Melee/Brawl or Melee/4 overlap, and moreso than people only liking one game, it's just a time question I think. Playing a game competitively is a huge time investment, and I think most of us (myself included) that wish we'd place higher can mostly blame it on not putting in enough time to improve. If you do two games at once, you cut your time in half with each game on top of any messed up muscle memory or mental mistakes from trying to apply gameplay concepts from one game to another improperly.

IMO the best approach is to spend the first month or so of Ultimate giving it a really serious try, taking a vacation from Melee during that time, and then evaluate what you want to do from there based on how you feel about both games. Pick a game and make it your focus going forward. Maybe if you're still friends with the local scene for the other you enter events for fun on the side while you're focusing on your main game, but definitely you're best off having one main game that is the only game you're serious about improving at.
Thanks for the advice, I think i will end up following this plan,ive only been playing melee competitively since summer so its not to late to make a switch around if I wanted to, And if i decide to stick with melee I will have more time to grow as a player than i would juggling melee and ultimate and vice versa.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Just don't. It'll become impossible to manage 2 competitive metagames at once, not to mention complications in muscle memory. M2K is amazing, but your choice of a competitive scene should rely on what playstyles you like best.

Top Bottom