• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advancing Peach's Metagame

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Advancing Peach's Metagame

Lately, I've been feeling as though the Peach boards have been slacking as far as trying to progress as a community. It's not only that our tactical discussion is getting no discussion, it's just the fact that our social is practically engulfing every discussion that attempts to take a stab at creating better players. In this thread I want to try to revive activity. The Peach Tactical Discussion was de-stickied and is now practically at the bottom of the page, why? Peach players right now are performing better than ever before - so shouldn't this be the time where we take advantage of this moment and try to take her even further? I want this thread to soak in all information regarding anything new Peach players can think of. Anything that catches their eye while watching another player, so we can apply it to everyone.

Any suggestions/tips/discoveries are welcomed in this thread, and I will be placing them in their fitting categories. This is basically an advanced tactical discussion thread which takes Peach guides and pushes them to the next level, so we can apply it in game and save it for future memory and upcoming Peach mains who feel as though they have hit their "glass ceiling" and do not know where to proceed next.

Combos / Tricks

This is basically where all "Combos" or "Tricks/Mindgames" pertaining to specific moves will be placed. I'm well aware that most of the topics discussed are fairly situational, do not bring flaming into this thread. Anything that you find that is consistently working against players of adaquete skill should be shared in here. Videos are extremely appreciated!

• Text In Yellow Is Clickable!

Back Aerial and Neutral Aerial
Peach's double nair and bair are extremely underrated moves. It applies even more shield pressure than the normal bair or nair and it can leave you extremely safe if it doesn't shield poke and hit. Popular players that use this tactic that quickly pop up to mind would be Yami, Silly Kyle, and myself.

To perform this move you can refer to Excel Zero's old thread by clicking herehttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178243, it explains how to do it as well as offering a pretty decent discussion.

As seen herehttp://youtu.be/nVhRy77H6ME#t=1m47s I perform the double hit bair, it leaves my opponent pressured and immediately requires him to jump out of the situation which leads on to later combos. In the process, I also do not get punished.

Another example can be seen here where I use it to pressure in my opponent and get in even more damage compared to if I had not used it. It's great to use after attempted dairs that do not eat through shield. Just fall after your float and attempt it, it will probably eat through their shield.

Nair and Bair have even more applications when used as a single move rather than being used twice. They provide a quick way to punish your opponents for basically touching your shield. Like I previously mentioned, both Silly Kyle and Yami are great examples of this trait.

Silly Kyle likes to perform ground floated bairs once his opponents touch his shield, an example can be shown here Silly Kyle uses the move, baits an airdodge and uses it again which is extremely smart.

Yami, as well as myself and tons of other Peaches love to perform the bair move to also combo and basically just pressure. When performed correctly, it can actually combo into itself as shown herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAvEPySblo#t=10m31s.

Against larger characters bair or nair are really good if you predict your movement. You can knock their shield down once, then follow them up and hit them with another if you apply the correct pressure (most likely they won't be prepared for it), as shown herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaIm2_VdbbA#t=2m13s.

Ground Floated nair and bair is also great at performing techchases, after any move that knocks your opponent into fall like the ones previously mentioned or reading a poor airdodge when the opponent is recovering from above you. Bair is good on it's own for spacing and covering more ground options so your opponent cannot rush you, which is called Wasping. It's great to near your opponents shield and then string a fsmash afterward because your opponent usually will want to punish what they think as a "poorly spaced bair" as shown here.

Peach's bair also has a lock property, similar to other character's jab lock. GIMR discovered this advanced technique and dubbed it as the, "Bair Lock" here is his video of the technique.

Weak hit bair is also especially useful to setup killing with a fair or another stronger bair. Since it usually knocks the opponent into a helpless fall, it allows you to quickly recognize the opportunity and punish your opponent. Examples can be shown here or even onto a platform, as shown here.

The move is also extremely good for spacing against your opponent. If you are constantly throwing out ground floated bairs in their face they will not want to approach, as shown here.

_____

(Taken from Nordal's Nair Ground Float Out of Shield Thread)

Obviously we all know about this, and the only two Peaches I've seen consistently using it are me and Kyle.

I've heard some arguments that there is no need to learn this because short hop nair can achieve the same goal, and I assure you this a horrible assumption. Short hop nair is godly but I often find myself going over shorter targets, or hitting someone at low % with it and then getting hit back in retaliation because I'm still either in the attack or in landing lag. I've been up smashed by fox this way, it sucks.

Out of shield float nair is obviously going to be a little slower due to it's relative difficulty, but the main point is a repositioning of nair. This let's peach spend less time in her nair animation and allows her to Nair OoS shorter characters she'd often go over (pikachu for example). It's hard to get consistently, so I thought I'd make a quick "guide" on it.

Obviously the inputs needed are jump, down on the control stick, and of course the A button for the nair input. I press my jump button, flick the control stick down and press A. Flicking the control stick allows for a quick down input without initiating down air (assuming you time it correctly of course). It's really just practice, but here are some common mistakes I made myself while getting this down:

Peach Spotdodges: You didn't jump, or your jump input didn't register. It doesn't matter if you hold shield because jump will cancel it and she can't airdodge while floating.

Peach Dairs: You didn't release the down input fast enough and nair registered as Dair.

Peach floats, lands and jabs: You tried doing this on a slant and the level difference canceled her float. Quick tip: don't float Nair out of shield often on stages like yoshi's island, lylat, delfino, and pretty much any stage that doesn't have a consistent flat surface.

I'll probably turn this into a continual "these things help you a lot more than you'd expect" thread.

Downward Aerial
Without a doubt, Peach's best move. It's a staple move and can lead into tons of combos or strings. The most common string on is Dair -> Uair -> Utilt because it's basically guaranteed on almost every character, but there are a plethora of variations.

Just basically figure them out on your own, this thread's purpose is not to cover basic things but to elaborate on different methods that will help you on a higher level of play.

Some cool things to do if you're having trouble starting up your combos with a dair is to first dair their shield while in float, then float backwards and read their roll (most players will do this at least once a match), this allows you to catch them off guard and start up your combo.

Another thing that could work would be throwing a turnip and reading a roll similar to the tactic previously mentioned. Sadly, I currently couldn't find any videos online that display this.

Forward Glide Toss Turnip -> Mid Height Float -> Dair can be a great approach.

One of the best methods of landing a dair, imo is through a footstool animation. If your opponent is rushing you (or you are rushing them) simply just jump -> footstool and continue your string. The enemy will not have enough time to shield due to the lag of the footstool animation and you can start up your combo.

In my opinion, all Peaches need to dair more often!

Forward Smash
I hate this move. It's completely random, so I never know how to use it in the perfect situation. Peach mains have to make due with what they have though.

Forward Smash comes out randomly, but it will never display the club, raquet, or pan twice in a row. For example, if you Forward Smash and a Pan comes out - you will not get the Pan the next time you Forward Smash. You can increase your chances of getting the Forward Smash you want in transformations on Pokemon Stadium One (the best Forward Smash in my opinion is the club), as shown here. Notice how when I see the Pan come out, I immediately start pulling turnips to increase my luck in getting a good pull.. because I already know that getting a Golf Club is a 66.6666% chance on my next Forward Smash.

If you perform an U-tilt on your opponent while they are on a platform and they are sent into a helpless fall you can charge a Forward Smash for the punish.

Raquet has better kill potential than a Bob-Omb if sweetspotted correctly. If you are in an instance where you can charge it long enough and you release at the perfect time (at the exact tip) it will send your opponent soaring, shown here.

If you fair your opponents shield, they attempt a grab, and if you're feeling lucky, you can attempt a Golf Club in to punish what they thought of as a "poorly placed fair", as shown here.

Forward Aerial
Peach's best move for killing in my opinion. It's really not that hard to land, you just need to know how to setup moves for it to hit.

One method is to throw a turnip and read your opponents airdodge, if they don't shield quickly enough follow up with a fair, as shown here, or while in float and holding a turnip, throw it towards your opponent - if they attempt to catch it odds are they probably won't have quick enough reaction time to airdodge and miss your fair, if they get hit by it - follow up with fair, and if they jump read their jump and fair them for the kill - here's an example!

Without a doubt, the best setup for a fair kill is double slap -> full hop fair. It's extremely broken because your opponent is knocked into a fall and wants to immediately recover from the short distance from which they are thrown. If you predict their movement and full hop fair it will extremely throw them off and can sometimes even allow them to perform horrendous DI. The more you practice this method, the easier it becomes! Sometimes, you may not even have to perform any move on your opponent, you will just sense the jump coming and predict it with a full hop fair, as shown by Yami here. Slapping twice against an opponents shield and baiting a jump also works at times, an example can be shown here.

In other instances, you can fake your opponent out if he or her is camping on the Smashville platform by just full hop fairing and just trying to surprise them. Or you could float under the platform and then jump up and hit them with a fair, as shown here.

Fair onto shield -> double slap is extremely broken.

One really cool thing is to bait a roll or movement by just basically floating directly above your opponent and pretending like you will bair. Since they are expecting a bair to hit them they will usually roll in front of you, this is the moment where you read their mistake and throw out your fair. It's pretty hard to explain but hopefully this video will clear some things up.

Peach-Bomber
A high-risk high-reward type of move. It can reap pretty nice benefits if landed because you land in the vicinity of your opponent immediately after the move, but it can also get you severely punished if you miss because of it's horrific lag. Use this move wisely.

A way to remove almost all of the "risk" part of this move is to just simply use it near the ledge of a stage. Excel Zero was the absolute king of hitting with this move offstage, as shown here. You can also fake your opponent out by throwing a turnip in the air so it draws their attention and then fling your body offstage in attempt to hit them with Peach Bomber, as shown here.

You can dash in the opposite direction, dash in the direction you are intending to Peach bomb, then dash back in the opposite, direction and finally Peach Bomb to fake out your opponent. This is performed pretty well by Yami in this video.

Peach Bomb can hit off of the Shy Guys on Yoshi's Island and the tentacles on Brinstar. You can use it to fake your opponent out and usually hit them with any aerial as shown here.

Turnips/Pulls
Turnips are really underrated, imo. They are shared with bananas as the only mobile projectiles in the game. They can be extremely lethal when used in correct instances.

A pretty cool find is upwards turnip throw -> hit -> footstool falling opponent -> move of choice. It's hard to consistently pull off, but if you recognize the opportunity and pull it off quick enough it allows you to basically do whatever you want afterwards, here is an example of it being applied in a match, and here is another although it is a bit different.

Everyone knows how much damage dot-eyed and stitch turnips deal, but I feel as though they take for granted how much damage winky-eyed turnips deal. At point blank range with a smash throw they deal 16% which is pretty significant if you can re-catch it. They also go through Metaknight's tornado.

Here's an image of the turnip:

Z-Dropping is a must for any Peach player, and I myself suffer from not using it frequently. Nicole, and European Peaches on the other hand use it abundantly and it helps their gameplay. You can string Z-dropped turnips into nairs to deal more damage, here's an example of Nicole using it effectively. Nicole also does a great job of setting up traps through turnips and regrabbing them.

But by far, the best turnip re-grabber would have to be Yami, imo. Regrabbing turnips allows for quicker inputs to your next move because you won't have to hit the ground and use your down special. You can also regrab turnips while performing an aerial, here is an example of Yami performing this technique to a tee.

Stitch turnips are also a great way to fake out your opponent, get a free grab, or break your opponents shield. As far as faking out your opponent goes, if they are aware that you have a stitch you can throw out moves while holding it like fair, nair, or bair and then after the input their shield or spotdodge immediately throw it after. They will be playing extremely defensively, so you can just go to work with regular attacks too. Throwing stitches in the air and catching them right after they jump works best for me, if they airdodge it's going to come right back down and it allows you to re-grab, or even if it hits them it's much easier to grab compared to it bouncing off of them horizontally - or missing and disappearing, here is an example of this technique. Normally, if your turnip hits your opponents shield and you performed a forward glide toss, the stitch puts hitstun on your opponent allowing you to do whatever you want to him/her. If you want to take the safe route - you can just go for an easy grab. However, because the hitstun and shieldpoking of the stitch is so strong, sometimes you are able to break your opponents shield if you just input a d-tilt or fair immediately after (both of these moves hurt shield significantly) here is an example of Yami doing it within 5 seconds of the first match. Notice how he edgecancelled his turnip on the left Battlefield platform, it's a fairly easy advance technique to pull off - just run off the ledge and cancel your turnip pull. Here is another example of a stitch breaking a shield, but this time with fair.

You may have noticed some Peaches can pull turnips while still moving, this is called Bone-walking, or Free-pulling. 2link121 has written a extremely in depth thread on how to perform these two advanced techniques and how they are useful, the thread can be found here, the two Peaches that immediately come to mind when using this technique are Meno and Yami.

Bombs can basically turn the whole momentum of a match around if you pull one and get it to hit. I try to just throw it immediately after I recognize I have one and try to throw my opponent offguard. If they don't recognize you have it, the better chance it will hit A pretty cool and somewhat unknown technique is the "Bomb-Walk" discovered by Dark Pch. and FlameWaveK, what you do is drop through a platfrom, then zdrop. If done correctly, the bomb will walk, which is pretty cool. Here is a video of Dark Pch. performing the technique.

Turnips are also very good for pulling on certain transformation of Ps1. Just go to a "campy" area and try your luck!

You can cancel a turnip pull through Metaknight's torando. This is shown here, if you're going to get hit - you might as well gain something from it!

Z-dropping turnips over the edge and just floating above them is SUPER fun to do and it's great for pressuring.

If you know your opponent has a bad habit of doing get up attacks, you can combo a move off of the hit turnip for double damage. Or you can use the turnip to bait them into doing a jump getup and just u-air them or whatever.

Oh, and we also figured out some really weird turnip pulling mechanic when near the ledge similar to the one already found. Except on this one all you can cancel the lag while still staying on stage or on platform. This is shown here.

Forward Tilt
Great move. It can kill, and it can also combo into itself or other moves. Meno prefers to call it a "mini Snake u-tilt"

At low percentages, you can f-tilt and f-tilt your opponent again if their stature is large enough.

It's good for sending opponents back onto platforms after they fall off so you can add in even more things, here is an example.

It's also great after fair. If you're opponent is shielding and you do a falling fair -> ftilt it will either shield poke them, provide little to no way of you getting punished, or they will try to punish your fair and you can squeeze in the extra, really quick, ftilt - as shown here.

Ftilt is also a great tool in reading air-dodges. If you fake out a fair, read your opponent's fall and ftilt them when they hit the ground it will usually catch them off guard. There are tons of other instances, but here is an example of what has been previously stated.

To land a Ftilt easier near kill percentages, perform a falling dair and lead up to a ftilt - it can trap your opponent and they will usually get hit, which can be viewed here.

Ftilt is extremely good immediately after a bair or nair. It can combo, and if it hits shield you usually are left in a pretty safe situation, as shown here.
Down-Throw
Underrated Peach move. Down-Throw can give free damage when you can't seem to get in a combo at lower percentages, and it also works extremely well against heavier characters.

Peach's Throw has a Up-Smash setup as already previously mentioned but it also can reap in extra damage by adding F-tilt or Ground Floated Nair or Bair at the end of it. What you want to do is get your grab on your opponent, keep your D-throw chaingrab consistent, and right when you feel as though it's about to end throw out a F-Tilt. Your opponent will be launched in the air and almost nine times out of ten they will be salty and try to punish your opening. At this point you have two options, either you can shield and re-grab them, ftilt, or nair/bair out of shield - or you can ground float fair, bair, uair, or nair to read their poor falling or punish.

From LanceStern:

This is a very short topic right now because I'm in the middle of studying

But Peach's down throw opens up a world of opportunity for frame traps or putting the opponent in bad positions. Which honestly I think falls into a much bigger topic that I hope to post in 2012 about "Choosing the option with the highest probabilities".

One thing I've recently been using is dthrow -> bair -> bair -> something else. At low percentages (particularly zero percent) you can do a nice frame trap. It works best on vertically heavy characters (see space animals, ganondorf, captain falcon) but can also work on unsuspecting middle weights as well.

Example on Pit
Example on Diddy 1 Example on Diddy 2
Example on Marth

Some might ask - "Why not just chain grab?". And for that I say there are some characters you can't chain grab that can be hit by this string a lot easier. It also gives you the benefit of placing the opponent near the edge of the stage OR above you if you so desire.

I would encourage you guys to jump into training mode and try some strings yourself.
Vinnie invented a really cool 0 -> death chain grab against heavies and created a video on it a while back. We talked about it for a little bit and tweaked some stuff, but decided not to reveal it to the public - because one of us wanted to be the first to do it in tournament or something. Well, it looks like I haven't done it yet (I've actually gotten the grab once, but I fraked up), so I'm going to leave it up to one of you guys to pull it off. It's pretty coincidental, but very practical and easy to pull of with a bit of practice.

It works like this: grab heavy character (Falco, Fox, DK, Bowser, DDD, Snake, etc.) on the edge of a stage with a walkoff (Delfino, Castle Siege, Halberd) then proceed to chain grab them off stage. You need to be on the far side of whatever side you are on. For example, if you are on the far left you need to be closer to the horizontal blastzone than your opponent is. Then you just have to triple d-throw, and f-throw off. You may be able to squeeze in a few more or a bit less d-throws depending on the weight of the character.. but it is guaranteed on some!

Vinnie's video performing the trick is shown here.

Down Smash
Pretty cool move. Has a 30% trip rate if it connects on the opponent. If you want to cover a ton of options or basically place a small bubble around yourself for a short period of time - this is the move to use.

Down Smash can spike if the opponent is directly under a ledge, as shown here.

Down Smash works extremely well in covering ledge options if you can predict your opponent in using a roll-getup as shown here.

The move can shield-poke opponents who are under a ledge, it basically sucks them in and keeps them under you.

If you Fair your opponents shield and immediately Down-Smash if they come near you they will get flinged in any given direction. It's pretty good for punishing players who have that consistent rolling pattern, as shown here.

Down-Smash has a 30% chance of tripping your opponent. If you recognize the trip, you can quickly punish with a ground floated nair or bair, like this.

Up Smash
Extremely deadly move if landed correctly. Can turn the whole pace of the set around in your favor if you can pull it off consistently. Definitely a move to have in your arsenal.

On Pokemon Stadium One, during the stage transformations - you can double up-smash. This technique is extremely quick and sometimes can catch your opponent off guard as shown here.

Up-Smash can be landed on moving platforms against Metaknight and various other characters as shown here. You can also perform a grab release certain opponents on the tree section of Pokemon Stadium One to a free Up-smash, both of these tricks were discovered by Meno.

Up-Smash has invincibility, and when timed correctly can break through Metaknight's tornado.

Slapping a shield and reading a roll with Up-Smash can sometimes work extremely well. You can set up the normal jab -> read roll -> Up-Smash almost any moment in game as shown here, or you could test your luck with a really cool grab setup. You basically grab your opponent -> pummel -> ground release -> slap shield -> read roll -> Up-Smash, here is an example.

If you break your opponent's shield you can set-up a pretty cool trick to land a free and fully charged Up-Smash. After your opponent has their shield broken you basically toss a turnip into the air and stand on the right or left side of them (depending on where the turnip falls), charge your Up-Smash and release when the turnip hits your opponent. Although this example does not kill (the percentage is too low), it still demonstrates the technique.

Metaknight's Shuttle Loop can be punished extremely well if you anticipate it with an Up-Smash. Just wait right next to him, and go under him and read his fall, an example can be shown here, and another by Leon can be shown here.

You can also try to read your opponents land with Up-Smash. Throwing turnips into the air works well, or you could try F-tilting and watching their landing. This is shown by King Beef here and myself as well, here.

Up Aerial
As many of you probably know, this is my absolute favorite Peach move. Peach's Up-Aerial opens up so many options, is technical, and can also kill.

First and foremost, Peach's Up-Air Lock/String is a must learn for all Peaches on a "higher" level of play. The controls to set it up can be a bit tricky, but in my opinion the best way to perform it is to set your "R" shoulder as jump and input down on the analog stick -> hit your R shoulder -> and flick the C-Stick in an upward fashion then rinse and repeat. Although this thread created by myself is a bit of a joke, it does hold decent discussion on the U-Air string and ground floats in general. here is an example of the Up-Air string, and here is another example. The Up-Air string (when landed) significantly changes matchups on heavier characters.

Peach's Up-Air is also great for setting up frame traps. If your opponent is above you in the air just do a feint Up-Air, read their movement and hit them with a quick nair or bair when they are falling. This technique is shown both here and here.

If your opponent lands on a platform and is facing the opposite direction of where you intend them to fall, Up-Air can take repeated attempts at forcing them to fall off. You can attempt the Up-Air string on their shield, get a fall and attempt a fully charged Up-Smash or a Forward-Smash - as shown here. This can also work with Peach's U-tilt.

Down-Tilt
Weird move; it has spiking properties and can slide Peach in certain directions.

D-tilt can spike if you hit your opponent with like the "weak" part of it. I believe it's like at the tip or at like the wrist. Anyways, here is an example.

D-tilt -> jab is also extremely good. If spaced correctly, there are very few moves that can punish it. It also shield pokes pretty well.

After a Fair D-Tilt can do some justice, because it will catch your opponent off guard and has soo much range, as shown here.

Niko_K discovered the D-tilt slide cancel which I guess could have a few uses; here is his video.

Float
If you consider float a move, it is without a doubt our best move. Without it we wouldn't be able to perform like almost every trick or combo we are currently capable of.

Float is mainly used for mindgames, but it has a few other uses.

Floatdash allows us to perform quicker movements while on the ground, it is shown here. King Beef also performs the technique after his kills in matches, which is pretty entertaining, haha.

Another method that pertains to float is L.I.F.T which Japan Peaches tend to use frequently. It allows you to perform aerials off of the ledge, but you must still have your float - as shown here.

Toad
Toad is generally used to predict obvious kill moves that your opponent throws at you. It can throw them offguard and possibly change the momentum of the match.

Nordal has recently shown me that we can Toad Ike's super long range on his Aether (Up-b recovery move) when he's being greedy and trying to get extra damage for us being on the ledge. If the Ike has already jumped, the Toad sends Ike far enough away to KILL him. Very good thing to keep in mind.

Another small thing Toad can do is change the direction of your movement. So let's say you get sent offstage and want to recover, but your enemy is moving towards you. I sometimes like to Toad so I can steadily be facing backwards to fend off incoming attacks with Peach's bair then parasol back to the ledge. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

z00ted

Recent Updates 1/19/2012

Z-dropping Turnips Over Ledge
0% -> Death CG on Walkoffs
Guaranteed Toad Kill on Ike
Lagless Turnip Pull On Ledge

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oooooooooo what is this

Wow this is awesome! The clickable examples are genius.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Loves this!! I hope I can get more vids up and I will help showcase some ways I like to use moves <3

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Awesome stuff Illmatic. Great thread.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
UAIR - Maybe put uair string setups in the uair portion?
DThrow - At mid percentages, opponents don't seem to DI dthrow correctly. You can safely follow up with an uair if they pop up directly above you
Dsmash - Works great on smaller opponents in getting multiple hits in. Metaknight, kirby, pikachu, olimar, etc tend to get hit more by the attacks then taller opponents
Dtilt - I have a video on the uses for dtilt -> found youtube called "uses for dtilt"

z00ted

I will add all of them except the Dthrow -> uair thing.

Thoughts on the thread Lancestern?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Nice thread, Ill. I learned a few new things I'm gonna start working on. :)

Also, another use I found for uair is to take away someone's jump. It's kinda hard to explain, but I managed to take away Ook's jump once offstage with a uair -> uair, because I waited for the jump, and it ended up killing him at low percents. I have the replay, and I'm hoping to get some up soon, if you want to take a look at it.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I disagree with using a double jab on shield to bait a jump. They usually try to jump after getting hit by both jabs instead. Hitting the shield like that is almost never good, and if Peach doesn't get punished for it then that is mostly due to the opponent screwing up or hesitating.

z00ted

Peach's jab is soooo broken on shield.

Explain Fair -> Double Jab

but yeah, i agree on not baiting a jump on shield (unless the opponent is on the ledge).
if a jab hits shield, expect a roll

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Peach's jab is soooo broken on shield.
Don't we have an enormous frame disadvantage?

Yea:

Jab 1:
Duration: 19
Hits on Frame: 2
Hitbox Duration: 2-3 (2)
Cooldown: 16
Frames Jab 1 can be cancelled into second jab: 8-30

Shield stun: 1
Shield Advantage: -16
Shield drop advantage: -9

Jab 2:
Duration: 22 (if used in tandem with 1st jab: 29)
Hits on frame: 9 at earliest (frame 2 on its own)
Hitbox duration: 2 frames
Cooldown: 19

Shield stun: 1
Shield advantage: -19
Shield drop advantage: -12
Whatchu talking bout Ill, that craps awful. Whenever I play the good people here, jabbing someone's shield always ends up as an "ahcrap" moment for me. I'm always gonna eat an MK dsmash, or tilt or whatever.

Granted my game needs more grab mix-ups, but jabbing shield is baaad.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Don't we have an enormous frame disadvantage?

Yea:

Whatchu talking bout Ill, that craps awful. Whenever I play the good people here, jabbing someone's shield always ends up as an "ahcrap" moment for me. I'm always gonna eat an MK dsmash, or tilt or whatever.

Granted my game needs more grab mix-ups, but jabbing shield is baaad.

Ok I knew the disadvantage was bad but

MINUS SIXTEEN ON JAB 1?!?!?!?

That means ZSS can intercept our jab with her... grab.

:052:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Like after Fair, for example.
The fact that we have both fair and jab is pretty broken, lol. It beats shuttle loop for god sakes. But if they know jab is coming (which due to its value, isn't that hard of a read), we gonna get punished. But I guess that's where the mix-ups come in, and where it starts to get scary. At high percents, it might just be better for us to fair to shield - or maybe not shield, but other defensive maneuvers.

You know what'd be cool? A fair on shield flow chart.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'm saying that when you connect with a double jab (not on shield, it's terrible against anyone that matters), odds are they'll either use their second jump (punish with fair), or they'll try and fool you by landing instead (punish with a dash attack or run in, shield, and time a grab; this is a handy method of conditioning on most characters except Marth, MK, and Diddy (the landing part anyway). Try it. I've taken Nike, Dphat, and Gnes (your obstacles at the moment) all to last stock in matches that I've played with them by simply knowing when to condition and when to chill the hell out and reset (but still losing because I'm typically not the best at closing a match out, it's getting much better though).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Fantastic thread. If threads like this keep coming I'll drop MK for Peach :D
Could anyone help me with floatdash? It looks so fun I want to learn it.
Is there a thread or something on how to perform it right?

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Well the MK vs Peach MU is the one i really hate alot, i sometimes come to the thought of thinking that its beter to actually havea second main for this MU, i main Oli for this, But it doesnt mean i cant go on with peach.

Heres what i normally try to do:

You should camp and master your turnip game! when ever MK tries to approach running go for a grab, we can chaing grab him down to about 20 something % then connect a Ftilt for a 35%+, then continue camping, reading his approach, spaced running A is good at points.

well the idea is to get him over 100% and then Fair him, i find this to be the most effective strat, if you dont use the Fair once, you can easily KO MK at about 115%, and Fair isnt really hard to land on MK.

z00ted

It's pretty good and I understand what you are getting at - but I think that airdodge -> SD was just horrible on Ook's part.

I can still put it up under the uair part though.
When enough ideas are compiled I'll do an update.

Thanks!

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah I know, I don't think he knew what was going on when it happened, lol.

That entire game was just silly though, two SD's from Ook (I kinda helped the first one) and I pulled a bomb for his second stock.

No problem. :)

Zwarm

Smash Hero
No, I took away his second jump with the second uair, and although it shouldn't have killed him like it did, it could be useful.

hiROI

Smash Lord
One little correction:

"You can also perform a grab release certain opponents on the tree section of Pokemon Stadium One to a free Up-smash, both of these tricks were discovered by Meno."

The grab release against the tree on PS1 to U-Smash was actually discovered by me, as seen here. No shade, just wanted to give credit where credit is due~

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
I have a few things I have been practicing on that might be of use. Maybe you all have discussed this in the past but if not it might be helpful.

First dealing with the freepull. Sometimes I will use fair's or bair's and retreat. An excellent follow up, although difficult, is to freepull after you let go of your float. I find it as a quick escape that will allow you to stay on the offensive even while being defensive. It actually happens a lot accidentily after floating into a fair over a ledge and then landing attempting to move away from the ledge. Thoughts?

Another is a shield pressure move I like. If you do a short hop and throw a turnip and then float in with a fair followed by a lagless landing to some other attack like jab, dair, or ftilt it does massive shield pressure. If say you had just done a couple shielded dairs on them it would be the perfect trick. If by chance you have a Mr. Saturn/mad veggie it guarantees a shield break if followed up by a fair.

I have also been experimenting with techniques for causing damage while trying to get on the stage. If you let go of the ledge and do your 2nd jump an uair usually causes damage if somebody is to close and puts you on the stage. If you lag cancel it you can usually do something at that point. I have also found using toad after the 2nd jump catches a lot of people off guard but will also leave you open if they don't attack. These could be easier options for those who have either used their float already and can't do that invincibility getting up trick or for those who don't know how to do it.

Recently I have also found that for those who don't have projectiles doing ground float ariel cancels into grabs or anything for the matter is quite effective. I have developed several approaches this way recently.

One last thing. The glide toss is well known obviously. One thing I haven't seen done(of course I haven't seen a lot of what you all can do). Is if you glide toss by throwing the turnip down you actually free up for attacks quicker. If done properly you can actually shield before you stop sliding for a shield grab. You can also do a lot of other attacks with some slide left such as jabs, tilts, or smash attacks. Its not something I use a lot but it does have its place in my game.

Anyway, I hope at least some of this is useful for somebody. If not, maybe you all can help me with new ideas here.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I sometimes ledgehop with bair when I recover to move her hurtbox further back and land safely against some characters who try to time a spaced attack while edgeguarding. It autocancels upon landing as well so it can be strung into whatever. It's also surprisingly safe, second only to instafloat-shield/roll from my experience with it.

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
I sometimes ledgehop with bair when I recover to move her hurtbox further back and land safely against some characters who try to time a spaced attack while edgeguarding. It autocancels upon landing as well so it can be strung into whatever. It's also surprisingly safe, second only to instafloat-shield/roll from my experience with it.
Hey thats a great idea, I think I will try that out. I hadn't considered the shifted hurtbox.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
What works against a lot of characters is nair to escape combos, or when coming down, from being juggled for example, or from off stage.
Works best against characters with low range (So dont use it vs. marth).

reaper told me this, and he said, he has it from armada (melee), and it works too in brawl.
So dunno. I tried it vs. some people, and it seemed to be true.

Maybe you already know about this, just trying to share anyway :)
You should definitely watch some reaper stuff, as reaper is, in my eyes, the best peach out there.

Here you can find the match vids on his channel as favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EUreaper#p/f

Nicole

Smash Champion
perhaps we can talk about matchup related things here?

PERSONALLY i find marth harder than mk in many ways. considering that ill and i have radically different playstyles and still agree with each other on this says something.

opinions?

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Marth is not as bad as MK lol.

But it's really down to matchup experience and personal opinion.

Coming from Melee, Marth really isn't as bad for me. He's still annoying, but whatever >.>

z00ted

I agree with Nicole, and it's funny because I was thinking this exact same thing like yesterday.

I want to hear her thoughts on it.

Basically, Marth is harder to combo, has more moves that outrange us, dancing blade is more frustrating than MK's Ftilt, he covers all of our air recovery options (similar to Metaknight) he is heavier, he can break out of our dair, etc.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'm with Kyle on this. It's really a matter of comfort and preference. I don't find Marth all that difficult, and certainly not as difficult as MK.

:phone:

Top Bottom