• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Advanced tech] Armsthrift (Previosuly dtilt tome discard manipulation)

bou0010

Smash Rookie
NNID
bou0010
3DS FC
2621-2743-4496
Original vine by Mr.II:

So what just happened in that Vine? How did he catch the tomes like that?

I can explain what happened there and how to do it. But first, there is some important information to be aware of before I start:
  • When a tome runs out of durability, it's possible to stall the tome discard by using certain moves
  • If stalled, the tome discard will occur at the end of the stalling move's animation. NOT the first actionable frame (FAF) unless the end of the animation is interrupted by another move that doesn't stall the discard
  • When Robin discards a tome/sword, the arc it follows starts at his left hand, wherever that may be at the time
  • The discard of the Elwind tome cannot be stalled. But this tech works for all other tomes as well as the Levin Sword

How it works:

Dtilt is a move that can stall the discard, as well as significantly moving Robin's left hand. But just using Dtilt alone won't make any difference to where the tome goes since Robin will discard the tome when he stands back up. So to make the tome act differently, another move/action must be done after the FAF but before the Dtilt animation ends. This move must also NOT stall the discard. The best actions to do here are jump, walk & dash. If done correctly, the tome should be discarded from in front of Robin, as well as lower than usual.

Normal discard start:

Manipulated discard start:

Different options for catching the tome:

I'll sort these options by what action you need to use to cancel the Dtilt animation.
Note: All of these work with the Levin Sword as well as all tomes except Elwind

DASH (Nosferatu in Vine)
Definitely the worst option since the only way to catch the tome would be with dash attack. I wouldn't recommend using this ever.

But if you really wanted to do it this way, what you need to do is flick your control stick in the direction you are facing, release, and then press A.
Alternatively, if you have your C-stick set to tilts, you can just dash and immediately push the C-stick in any direction to dash attack.

JUMP (Arcthunder in Vine)
The easiest, most versatile option. Because of the changed starting position of the tome, it's now possible to catch the tome with a short hop rather than having to do a full jump. All SH aerials will catch the tome as well.

This one is pretty self-explanatory. All you need to do is jump before the Dtilt animation ends, then catch the tome by either Z-grabbing it or using an aerial.

WALK (Arcfire in Vine)
Cancelling your Dtilt with a walk allows you to grab the tome without moving from your spot.
This version requires the most practice to be able to perform it reliably but is totally worth it since you can throw the tome instantly, catching many people by surprise.
This is the most difficult way to catch the tome as your timing has to be perfect so make sure to practice this a lot to be able to do it reliably.
There are 2 ways to do this and it depends on what your C-stick is mapped to. The easiest way is to have it on tilts. It's still possible to do with out C-stick tilts, but much, much more difficult.

Regardless of what your C-stick is mapped to, after the Dtilt, tilt your control stick to whichever way you are facing.
If you have your C-stick set to tilts you can simply push it in any diagonal direction immediately after the walk starts to pick up the tome.
If your C-stick isn't on tilts, release your control stick and press A as soon as the tome is discarded.

Troubleshooting:

"I keep doing dash attack when I'm trying to pick up the tome"
If you do a dash attack it means that you didn't tilt your control stick gently enough and instead of walking, you dashed. Try pushing the control stick slower/softer.
"When I press A to pick up the tome I do Jab 1 instead"
If this happens to you that means that one of two things happened.
One: you didn't push the control stick enough and consequently the Dtilt animation wasn't cancelled by your walk, but by your Jab
Two: you pressed A too early so the Jab came out instead of the walk.
"Robin does the animation to pick the tome up but it still flies away"
This is the easiest case to fix since you're doing it almost perfectly. You're just pressing A slightly too late. Everything else you're doing is perfect.​

So that's how to do what Mr.II did in that Vine
If you have any questions or if I just didn't explain something properly, let me know and I'll clarify.

Last edited:

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
In match example // Don't think I would've been able to grab the item w/o this technique.

Last edited:

bou0010

Smash Rookie
NNID
bou0010
3DS FC
2621-2743-4496
Just updated the first post with common mistakes and errors people make with the 'walk' method. So if you're having trouble with that method, have a read and see if that helps you.

Top Bottom