• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced How to play [3.6] Ver 1.0

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Preface, This is an advanced guide that I am writing, if you don’t know the basics of DDD then this guide isn’t really the best place to start. Once you have a decent amount of practice with the King then this guide will be your best friend. With that said, let’s begin

Jab 1 and 2

as you know, jab isn’t fast at all even when compared to the speed of most other characters’ tilts. His jab is most likely on par with their speed or even slower and as such you shouldn’t think of DDD as having a jab at all. Jab has enough range and power on it that the main purpose of this should be used as a forward-tilt-esque move. Jab 1 should always be used in conjunction with Jab 2 because it almost always links, the only time that it won’t would be if they CC jab 1. If you ever happen to Powershield an attack, dropping shield and then doing jab 1+2 is a great way to rack up an additional ~11% right before you jab cancel and then go in for the grab. It makes a huge difference to be able to tick on damage whenever you can with D3 because of his poor combo game against all but semi-fastfallers and FFs.

Rapid Jab

This move is honestly near useless and doesn’t even have the many situational uses. The big 3 drawbacks to this move are that : 1. The move can be grabbed in between jab 2 and when this move comes out. if you connect with Jab 2 on a shield then you should honestly just jab cancel and dash away from your opponent. Drawback #2 is that when this move clanks with a projectiles of another move of comparable strength, D3 goes into a huge amount of recoil animation that can almost always be punished by people at even an intermediate skill level. #3 would be that the move is easily SDI-able. With how long the move is forced to stay out, it becomes and with no threat of a strong hit at the end of the animation the opponent has nothing to fear from mashing away on the controller and escaping from the hammer and then punishing him. The only time I have ever found this attack to be useful is when the opponent is cornered and you actually want to force them on the ledge. the key to when you want that is that you need them to not be able to ledge dash and they need to already be above 100% so they have poor ledge options. as soon as you see them grab the ledge, stop holding the attack and then set up for what will most likely be a ledge jump.

Dash Attack

Probably the most niche move in DDD's bag of tricks. This move is best used when you can get a hard read and intercept an attack. Such scenarios include falco trying to do ledge hop doubles lasers, a DK or bowser (or someone else easy to read) trying to recover early and throw hitboxes out at you, or even when you hard read a get up attack from d-throw. However, like most of DDD's other attacks, this isn't actually that strong for how much of a commitment it is.

Up-tilt

Probably one of my favorite moves in the game. combos fatties and semi-fastfallers and kills floaties and lightweights at early % for a tilt. A great use for the up-tilt is immediately after a falling sourspot nair on floaties, after a sweetspot nair on non-floaties, or a up-throw on spacies and captain falcon exclusively . when the time comes that the tilt would kill nair might not be able to combo on the floaties, so you’ll have to use dair instead. I’m not 100% sure if dair to tilt is a legitimate combo but if it is, you’ll need to turn around before up-tilt starts to get the first hitbox that comes out instead of needing to wait until he swings his head forward with the later hitbox. On non-floaties, you’ll be able to switch from strong nair to weak nair into up-tilt.

Don’t forget that up-tilt can nearly cover all of Yoshi’s story and BF platforms. If they manage to be knocked down on the platform then you can simply wait for their option and punish. however, be careful with move since D3 enlarges his head a great deal and that means his hurtboxes expand to meet the visual.

F-tilt

Okay, so the way I usually see D3’s use this move is that they try to prevent someone’s approach by throwing it out after the opponent has clearly started running at them. The way that it should be used is that it should be thrown out before the approach even starts so that they dash into it. The way to bait this is usually by empty hopping, or instead of using an aerial before landing, then immediately throwing it out. even if people are shielding before you land they will most likely try to jump out or grab seeing that nothing hit their shield.

Most people miss the tech once they get hit in a situation akin to this one. If that happens, you can follow up with a WD in and then f-tilt again. on every stage, they are now either offstage or pinned against the edge.

I also see this move used as an edgeguard, but it has limited potential in those cases. First off, if any character tries to recover from below the ledge this move isn’t going to hit them and even if it does, you’re hitting them with the end of the move which means you still need to close the distance from you to the ledge since F-tilt rarely kills. The only time I will justify the use of the f-tilt as an edgeguard is after a very weak f-throw (below 30%) at the ledge on someone with similar attributes as Falcon. Most of the time they will jump into the tilt and forcing them to recover high.

D-tilt

Personally, I absolutely hate this move and think the risk/reward is heavily skewed toward terrible. The move has pitiful knockback even on the sweetspot and won’t kill. That’s not even to mention the crazy long cooldown on the move for how strong (weak) it is which is ~ 20 frames . the move is barely even suitable to be used as an edgeguard since it doesn’t hit below the stage much at all. Some characters get extra room to sweetspot because of that fact.

The only redeeming quality about this move is that it happens to be tied for his fastest ground move (Frame 7) ;_;. As such, it can be used out of Crouch cancel as a get off me type move. But since grab is just as fast and pretty much has just as much range you should almost always go for the grab instead of d-tilt.

The last way I’ve thought of to use this utter garbage move is akin to how I said to use the f-tilt to stuff approaches, except in this case the opponent needs to be very close to you in order for it to be useful. you also aren’t going to get a follow up if they miss a tech if they happen to get hit by the move. This is the only time I ever use the tilt and I may just switch its use with a pivot grab.

Neutral-b - Inhale

This move is one of your greatest moves as a mixup, you need to abuse this move in order to become a top level player. Working this move into your game can be quite difficult as you absolutely need to be playing at or faster than the opponents overall speed. If you cannot manage to bring them down or pull yourself up then this move isn’t the greatest thing to throw out.

The best way to use this move is to fall with it during your usual aerial pressure with dairs, bairs, and possible empty hops. While hovering above the opponent at about 2 jumps heights distance, you need to fast fall then b-reverse the move. The b-reverse is because when DDD is facing forward, he has limited options and it’s more obvious that the inhale is coming. when facing backwards people are more likely to stay in shield because they are afraid of eating a fast fall bair. Another useful situation is when you are on ledge. If you are able to drop fast enough then double jump back, then b-reverse the inhale you will land on the stage with the start up of inhale being invincible. it won’t totally be invincible before it grabs opponents but it may cause attacks to wiff.

Inhale is such a necessary tool to implement because of the positioning advantage that it puts you in. Opponents are spat out in front of you and slightly above you depending on their gravity. This allows you to dash jump fair and possibly trade with their aerials. most opponents cannot jump over our fair and if they try to do it off stage they will most likely die. The only real option that opponents have is to attempt to fade back and fast fall under our fair or to jump back, bait our fair, then counterattack. Both of those options still put them in poor positions against us. If you’re reading your opponent well you will even be able to get off multiple inhales in a row.

Side-b Waddle Toss.

I’m not going to go over how to waddle toss in this, you can read the other guide in the sticky’s on how to do that. what I’m going to do is tell you how to incorporate actually throwing waddles as an attack rather than dash set ups. Dashing in and out has no real “its best in this situation” type use. it’s more of a spur the moment thing that can’t be taught. you’ll need to experiment around in order to find when dashing is appropriate.

Part of incorporating waddle toss is using it as part of your bair plus inhale mix ups game. when the opponent is little over f-tilt distance away and you’re jumping about and want to land. One of the best ways to stay free of pressure is to FF and throw waddle straight ahead. this has a very surprising effect rate and the waddles will hit more often than not. however, I suggest using bair and inhale more often than this because when using waddles on the ground, it has over 1 full second of cool down.

Down-b

Another move that I personally don’t like using that much but others do so idk what to make of it. most of the time, if not all the time, you’’ want to use this immediately after a d-throw and while hoping that they don’t tech. As they waste time their on the floor, you’re move is getting stronger and stronger. you need to be really on point with your reactions though as this move is heavily punishable if whiffed. Over 1 full second of cool down I believe.

The only other time for this move seems to be when you d-throw an opponent near the edge of the stage and you expect them to DI in and fair isn’t an option. Jet hammer is a fast enough move to hit anyone but the space animals if they have poor DI. with jet hammers high BKB, it’ll send opponents off stage and you can do standard edgeguarding from there. don’t expect JH to kill unless they are a very light character at something like 100%.

The upside to this move is that it can be GODLIKE in doubles if you manage to get the full charge going. not only does it have light armor so they can’t just knock you out with projectiles, but the attack does 30% when fully charged. anyone above 40% dies.

up-b

This move has even less use than d-tilt as an onstage move. medium armor on frame 7 isn’t enough to make this move good at all. FAR FAR too much commitment to do anything and the hitbox isn’t strong either.

as a recovery move, all I have to say is that you should definitely learn to up-b away from the ledge against opponents ready to edgeguard, purposefully overshoot, then turn over toward the stage. a little difficult to do at first but crucial to add to your survivability. mid to even igh level players will throw out moves as if you’re coming toward them. watch for when their animation ends, then flip and try to snap the ledge.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Not to shamelessly self promote but my beginners guide is a good point to start if you aren't quite ready for this guide.
http://smashboards.com/guides/a-beginners-guide-to-king-dedede.109/

I need to some editing to it though, as I feel like a lot of things have changed over the past year and it has some very "scrubish" grammar choices. Also some of the information is just false.

Last edited:

kinje

Smash Apprentice
So to add to what ripple said about down-b, I think it's not useful in most situations, but I've gotten some mileage out of its boost with light hitbox, which can occasionally be used as a jank recovery mixup after throwing out a waddle above stage.
Other than that, I'd say you can get good results by throwing it out on occasion when you have a commanding lead.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Speaking of Jet Hammer what possible application could the light armor on it apply to. I don't there has ever been a time where I have armored through anything.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Jet Hammer what possible application could the light armor on it apply to. I don't there has ever been a time where I have armored through anything.
Some projectiles and jabs.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Some projectiles and jabs.
Yeah but the armor does't activate until after he starts taking damage anyways. Plus the time it takes to charge is takes so long that they can throw out a projectiles in the first place. Jabs seem to be the only practical use for it.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but the armor does't activate until after he starts taking damage anyways. Plus the time it takes to charge is takes so long that they can throw out a projectiles in the first place. Jabs seem to be the only practical use for it.
I dunno. The light armor doesn't really matter much. I've never used the charged, armored version for anything outside of super hard reads.
I wonder if it could tank a hit from someone's recovery or getup attack and then trade for the kill.

Phubs

Smash Cadet
A fully charged jet hammer can really freak out some opponents, and since you can pivot release without the pivot animation finishing it can catch a lot of people off guard. Also, the fully charged one does cover a lot of ground really fast, which a lot of people dont expect

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
A fully charged jet hammer can really freak out some opponents, and since you can pivot release without the pivot animation finishing it can catch a lot of people off guard. Also, the fully charged one does cover a lot of ground really fast, which a lot of people dont expect
I feel getting to that charge is way too risky to ever have practical application. Even has an edge-guarding tool I feel it is limited. Charging the thing limits your option coverage and forces you to commit on it when you can probably use a better move that doesn't have a high risk.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I updated our frame data thread to be more accurate. Everything but dair and rolls are correct and I'll be making better gfys eventually to illustrate points

Last edited:

kinje

Smash Apprentice
I updated our frame data thread to be more accurate. Everything but dair and rolls are correct and I'll be making better gfys eventually to illustrate points
Thank you based ripple

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'd like to update this a little bit. So, I need for people to scour all DDD footage and find when Jab has actually been useful in a situation. I'll make a gfycat of the vid and then add it to jab.

I am displeased with this guide as for now.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'd like to update this a little bit. So, I need for people to scour all DDD footage and find when Jab has actually been useful in a situation. I'll make a gfycat of the vid and then add it to jab.

I am displeased with this guide as for now.
Like full jab or just jab 1?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Jab 1&2 or just jab 1.

Not rapid jab yet

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
Jab 1&2 or just jab 1.

Not rapid jab yet
I use jab 1 quite often but I'm too scatterbrained to actually go into specifics about when I do. One case I use it in is when I land a Nair at low percent. If they don't go anywhere, I jab, and that jab usually leads into a grab. I'm pretty sure I use it more often than just that one case, but I'd have to play to see what they are.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Ripple Ripple , do you think it's worth the effort to try and put together some kind of write-up on optimal follow-ups on different weight/fallspeed classes across a number of percent ranges? I think it'd be a worthwhile community effort that could really help a lot of people's punish game.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
not really sure how worth it it'd be tbh.

itd almost certainly be categorized as Spacies/Everyone else but samus and jiggs/samus and jiggs

Chef BoyarDedede

Smash Rookie
I use jab 1 to stuff approaches sometimes.

Also, instead of doing Dair-> grab, sometimes i can get Dair-> jab1-> jab2-> grab

Top Bottom