• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced (and very strange) Robin tech: the "Scale Tipper"

Guide Advanced (and very strange) Robin tech: the "Scale Tipper"

The_progenitor

Smash Rookie
The_progenitor submitted a new guide:

Advanced (and very strange) Robin tech: the "Scale Tipper" - An easy to use robin combo with some bizarre effects

NOTE: If this is the incorrect spot for a topic like this, please let me know. I just haven't seen anyone really cover this, and it's something I was able to discover and work out on my own, but was unable to explain due to lack of information, so I thought I might as well show it off.

Move name is a work in progress, but I thought it was rather fitting considering exactly what this combo does.
So at first glance this isn't really all that special. The combo is quite simply Arcthunder ->...
Read more about this guide...

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
This is actually pretty common knowledge, the Sdair during the Arcthunder thing? We had a thread and a video about it recently.

I named a Robin technique "The Tipper" as well, short for "scale tipper"...my version is just Arcthunder->Levin Fsmash though. Even easier to do than yours. XD

The_progenitor

Smash Rookie
This is actually pretty common knowledge, the Sdair during the Arcthunder thing? We had a thread and a video about it recently.

I named a Robin technique "The Tipper" as well, short for "scale tipper"...my version is just Arcthunder->Levin Fsmash though. Even easier to do than yours. XD
Yes indeed. However Levin Fsmash is marginably less powerful unless you are at the edge of the stage, facing the blastline, due to it not having a semi-spike angle. You can easily net kills on most characters at very low percents using LSDair due to them simply not having good enough recovery to make it back. when I first discovered this playing against my friend who mains Falcon, he was at 40 when I hit him with the Arcthunder and tried to spike him out of it (he was slightly offstage). Instead he was thrown all the way to the bottom left corner of battlefield, from which Falcon has absolutely no hope of recovering, and even if he does you can easily edgeguard any attempt, since most characters only have a single, linear way to recover from that angle that more often than not cannot integrate an Airdodge into the attempt, or they will simply die anyway.

Also I just thought the angle was super crazy. It was one of the first true WTF just happened moments I've ever had playing Sm4sh. If you opponent doesn't know about the janky angle you can completely screw them my messing up their DI. My friend in the previous example said he saw the Dair coming and tried to DI back to the wall to tech, but instead that shortened his arc and only further doomed him.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I never meant to say "Oh Le Fsmash is preferable". I only meant to say your technique is already well-documented and known.

Nah

Smash Champion
Is there any Robin combo/technique you don't have named lol

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Nope, pretty much all of them! XD I derive a silly pleasure from doing it. There are many "name purists" that believe any given technique, combo or string should have the most simple possible name for ease of communication. I am not one of those people. I figure what the hell, why not have some fun with it?

DeadLuckChris

Smash Cadet
i usually name the combos/tech based off the skills in awakening. It makes my life and my friend lives easier since we've played awakening so many times.

Creepy0000

Smash Rookie
How do I get above the enemy for the down Levin sword air before the Arcthunder has ended?

Nah

Smash Champion
How do I get above the enemy for the down Levin sword air before the Arcthunder has ended?
It’s something you’ll kind of just have to practice.

But the trick to it iirc is basically to connect the Arcthunder from a couple/few character lengths away, then SH towards them and do the Dair.

Creepy0000

Smash Rookie
It’s something you’ll kind of just have to practice.

But the trick to it iirc is basically to connect the Arcthunder from a couple/few character lengths away, then SH towards them and do the Dair.
What is SH?

Last edited:

Creepy0000

Smash Rookie
Point blank isn't going to work that well. Just try going a little bit further away each time until you get that perfect distance.
Thanks for putting up with my questions, I’ve got how it works and now I can do it. Thanks for the help. If it wasn’t for you I probably wouldn’t have been able to do it.

Erucidator

Smash Rookie
I didn't know Robin could do this, usually I go into Fair or FSmash after Arcthunder. I'm not able to consistently land short hops into Dairs after Arcthunders yet, at least on 3ds, but it is definitely interesting. I find the timing strict, but definitely useful if an opponent is in that range. Good find.

Top Bottom