• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advance Wars General Thread

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As promised, here's the Advance Wars general thread. This serves as a spirtual succesor to the Smash Ultimate Andy support thread. Also, please give me some time to properly update this opening post. I'm typing from my phone so I can't do much now lol.

With that being said, you all probably heard the news. Advance Wars: Re-Boot Camp has been delayed to Spring 2022. IMO, this is a good thing. Now, Nintendo can market this game better and hopefully release this game in Japan. Also, hopefully there will be a lot of quality changes to address the problems people had with the E3 build of this game. This gives Nintendo/WayForward a chance to wow those kinds of fans who might have not been sold with what was shown at E3.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, I have no objections to the delay. Hopefully this means the game has time to be nicely polished and ideally also have a worldwide release...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Can't remember if this was discussed in the old thread or not, but what do you guys think are the chances of DLC for the remake? Do you think we could see some Dual Strike COs and/or mechanics, or even brand new COs at any point?

Personally, I'm not convinced we'll get DLC for a remake, but Advance Wars just seems to fit so easily with the concept of DLC.

amageish

Smash Master
Can't remember if this was discussed in the old thread or not, but what do you guys think are the chances of DLC for the remake? Do you think we could see some Dual Strike COs and/or mechanics, or even brand new COs at any point?

Personally, I'm not convinced we'll get DLC for a remake, but Advance Wars just seems to fit so easily with the concept of DLC.
I think it depends on how much of a focus on the online play ends up being for this remake. I could see them adding more COs as free DLC or paid DLC or NSO Expansion Pack DLC if they wanted to keep the online fresh and exciting for people, like what they did with Mario Tennis Aces and what they are sort of doing with Mario Golf Super Rush. New content is good for keeping the online lobbies a bit more full...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
The trouble is that if there were extra COs to be added, then they'd most likely be from Dual Strike, but Dual Strike is mechanically distinct enough that I don't know if they'd be willing to rework them to fit into AW1/2 (in some cases it might not be feasible at all), as interesting as that would be to see. And I'm not sure if IS would be willing to let WayForward create any brand new COs.
If there is DLC, then I am thinking it would mostly be extra maps for War Room and VS mode, maybe a short extra side campaign or something. Maybe also unique costumes/recolors for existing COs.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think the delay is an obvious reason for the lack of marketing, it simply wasn't coming together. With such a long delay I have to wonder if there's substantial visual changes involved since they were critiqued pretty heavily (I personally liked them pretty well with only a couple small nitpicks). Especially since it's not a small delay but potentially up to half a year it makes me think that it will involve response to feedback.

amageish

Smash Master
The trouble is that if there were extra COs to be added, then they'd most likely be from Dual Strike, but Dual Strike is mechanically distinct enough that I don't know if they'd be willing to rework them to fit into AW1/2 (in some cases it might not be feasible at all), as interesting as that would be to see. And I'm not sure if IS would be willing to let WayForward create any brand new COs.
It would definitely require some new mechanics, but, given Wayfoward's work on pojects like River City Girls, I'm not too worried about them not being willing to rework characters into new contexts or skillsets while still honouring their original game... though, yes, that would require Nintendo/IntSys giving up some creative control over the IP and who knows how much they'd be willing to do that.

If there is DLC, then I am thinking it would mostly be extra maps for War Room and VS mode, maybe a short extra side campaign or something. Maybe also unique costumes/recolors for existing COs.
Extra maps also makes sense though, as would more story content.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Did we ever establish WHY it got delayed? It's not very often Nintendo delays a gsme after it gets a set release date...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I doubt they'll give a specific reason, but I think it's just that the game requires some more fine tuning to deliver the game they're shooting for. I don't think there's any cause for concern; if anything, they know what fans expect from this series and are taking their time to keep up to par.

If, however, we're going to speculate reasons for the delay, then I've heard people guess that (1) they're going to clean up the art style after seeing public reactions to the trailer, (2) more work is necessary to make sure the online content functions satisfactorily, or (3) they've realized that people want more than a straight remake and are beefing up the content a little bit.

Personally, I don't think any of the above are especially likely, but it's fun to think about. As cool as it is to see people hyped up for the new game, I hope they remember that it's still just a remake and expectations should be set accordingly. Hopefully, all the great features/content that don't make it into this game can be cooked into a brand new release later down the line.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I can't even come up with a joke about how I can't even come up with a joke...

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I know I'm like a whole month late on this, but Nintendo's presence at the Game Awards was literally just "Past, Present, Future" for games on the console and while I wasn't super upset by the game's lack of promotion leading into it's original release date, I was very annoyed that the "Games coming to Switch next year" trailer there didn't have any AW1+2

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I didn't watch the Game Awards but I wouldn't worry about AW not showing up there. It would probably have trouble standing out there, unfortunately (just not the right audience I think). Plus the game is potentially in an odd state right now due to the delay so they might not be ready to show it more yet.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Probably the last Direct before 1+2 releases, so I would expect to see it here. At least a mention but I'll hope for new footage. Don't expect them to talk extensively about AW given that there are some other pretty big fish to fry, potentially including Kirby, Zelda, FE, Xenoblade, DK, and more. But regardless I think we are in for a pretty good show this time overall.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm seeing a surprising amount of "Are they really going to show Advance Wars AGAIN?!?!" hot takes online, which is weird when... we've seen, like, ~25 minutes of footage of this game in total across one trailer and one E3 Treehouse stream.

It'd at least like to see how online will work... A quick ~3 minute "Here's all the modes!" trailer would be good....

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Ok folks, place your bets: will there be visual adjustments in response to the vocal group of complaints, or will the visual style still be pretty much the same and be complained about again?

I'm leaning toward believing the delay was caused by adjustments to visuals in response to the online complaints, but not a complete shift in this amount of time. I look forward to a lot of comments along the lines of "I still don't like it but at least it doesn't look like a mobile game anymore" using the nebulous 'mObiLe GaMe' like PUBG Mobile and Candy Crush are somehow visually related.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I think any complaints would have had to be much, much louder for them to delay the game over it.
As much as internet talk tends to pin down one or two things as the reason for a delay, the fact is that delays are fairly normal in game development.

But regardless, I'm personally not worried about the art or graphics.

amageish

Smash Master
I'm guessing the graphics will look slightly different just because it's been half a year since we last saw any footage of the game, but I also agree that the complaints were contained/minor enough that I doubt it played a major role in the game's delay.

I just really hope the online is good and want to be assured about that in the Direct...

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
For the record. The game was NOT featured in the Japanese broadcast.
God dammit, I guess with full VO it'd be more of a pain to bring over, but surely the Japanese audience would be more enticed to these characters with a good cast of VAs.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
For the record. The game was NOT featured in the Japanese broadcast.
Uh oh...

--

Aside from that, was satisfied with what was shown. It still looks like it's going to be pretty 1-1 with the original but that's all that can be expected when WayForward is remaking someone else's game.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Sad, but expected.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
It's bad luck the same thing happened with the first game when it's release outside the US was halted because of what happened with 9/11

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie

Bruh I'd love Dual Strike DLC. Like, shove the entire campaign and COs into a wonderfully remade game. That'd be so cool!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can see why the game would be delayed, I remember the enemy faction being heavily based on real life Russia. Not exactly the greatest timing of course.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Well, gotta think that WayForward, as a smaller company, is going to be highly motivated to get the game out. Hopefully, once a release is deemed appropriate, they can drum up the marketing again but the game is almost surely gonna be hurt by the now multiple and indefinite delays.

We'll just have to keep practicing patience with this one.

--

On a different note, assuming Dual Strike COs aren't in the game at least to begin with, which Dual Strike CO would you most like to see in the Reboot's art style?

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
Well, gotta think that WayForward, as a smaller company, is going to be highly motivated to get the game out. Hopefully, once a release is deemed appropriate, they can drum up the marketing again but the game is almost surely gonna be hurt by the now multiple and indefinite delays.

We'll just have to keep practicing patience with this one.

--

On a different note, assuming Dual Strike COs aren't in the game at least to begin with, which Dual Strike CO would you most like to see in the Reboot's art style?
Jake. Unpopular opinion: he's my favorite of the new cast

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
Spoiler alert for the people who haven't finished Advance Wars: Dual Strike yet!

I recently came to the conclusion that the flowers that grow on the hill are daisies. They look like your typical white daisy and one of the meanings behind the daisy is hope and new beginnings.

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
Actually, Jake is one of my favorite AW COs. If AW was a big series with a bunch of reps then I think I'd like him to be one of them.
I mostly said unpopular because everybody complains about his overuse of now dated slang (which never really bothered me). But yeah, Jake is definitely a cool CO and should definitely be a main rep for Advance Wars. He and Hawke are tied for second in the ranks of favorite CO. I, uh, bet you can guess who's my favorite-

Last edited:
Top Bottom