• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advance Wars General Discussion

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Hey, I wondered, are there any fans of the Advance Wars series here on smashboards?

Well, may they exist or not, I open this general discussion thread for everyone who plays these awesome games. Talk about your favorite game, CO's, maps, etc.

I recently found a site which allows people to play against each other in a browser based, true-to-the-spirit system. http://awbw.amarriner.com/

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Beaten everything but Days of Ruin. And that's only because my DS now sucks (shoulder buttons and top screen don't work anymore).

Favorite CO is Kanbei. Don't have one yet in DoR.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Advance Wars is awesome. I hated Days of Ruin but I love the other three.

AW1: Eagle/Max
AW2: Colin
AWDS: Rachel+Nell in tag battles, Rachel/Sasha/Nell in singles.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Haha, you actually made a thread about it :D

I personally haven't played any of the DS versions (I don't have a DS), but I played and loved the GBA titles.

My favorite non-broken CO is Jess.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Advance Wars is awesome. I hated Days of Ruin but I love the other three.
But Days of Ruin has Tabitha, that's epic. )=

It took me a while to get use to Advance Wars around the GBA times, now that I'm use to it, I just wish there were more people that play this game around me without traveling, lol. Sami and Eagle is my most used team on Dual Strike.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
My favorite CO in all games is Olaf. Slowing people down is hilarious, especially if you combine it with a fast HQ capture. ^^

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I preferred Days of Ruin's darker storyline. It fitted better with the kind of gameplay. I mean, cartoonishly drawn tanks and bombers? Err...

There were a few little things to gripe about, but they were mostly aesthetic. And I really enjoyed the addition of multiplayer (even though I've not even played anyone yet...).

I find it very strange that Will get to keep his spiky hairdo all the time. Maybe he managed to get away with the rest of the camp's hair lotion or something. O_o

And my favourite CO to use is Caulder. If you don't want me using a broken character, then probably Kanbei. Mech spam ftw. :chuckle:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I hated Days of Ruin's storyline. Or rather, it's characters. They're so one-dimensional.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't say stereotypes (except maybe Kanbei and Grit). They're more like stock characters. They're less annoying though and I agree with you on their "vibe".

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I tried to get into some competitive AW, and I was just always a bum about it.

Days of Ruin is mad good, fairly balanced and everything (compared to the bustedness of CO Powers in AW:DS). I dont know about AW2 or AW1.

The thing I hate about DoR is the COs themselves, they're all... boring and ****. AW1 2 and DS COs are obviously off the chain (LOVE SONJA, OMG LOVE SONJA TO DEATH), but trying to play it against people is just :(.

Advance Wars, as a whole, needs a GD.

D13

Smash Ace
Oh God, this is the series that brought me into the internet. I joined an AW fansite when I was 13 (January 2006) and still frequent it. Good times lol.

I used to play AWBW like it was my job. 400+ games completed (though some were lost in server crashes). I had some pretty mad skillz in my prime.

My profile: http://awbw.amarriner.com/profile.php?username=Deaninator

The huge changes that Days of Ruin introduced sort of turned me off. I haven't played much since. But if any of you would be interested in a game of AWBW, I would gladly play with you.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
The brokenness of the CO powers is the best part lol.

§leepy God

Smash Master
What do most people play?

Is there something that's just... bad about DoR that my dumb *** doesnt realize?
If you see the Co. powers in this game, you'll say why it's not good compare to the rest, but I won't say it's bad, Wifi is the main reason this game has more replay value.

D13

Smash Ace
The brokenness of the CO powers is the best part lol.
There are some broken COs, yeah. Colin/Grit/Hachi/Sensei/AW2 Kanbei.

Most other COs have tolerable powers.

If you're talking about Tag Breaks, then yeah those are all broken lol. But everyone realizes that and no one uses them when competing. Tag Breaks weren't even implemented onto AWBW.

@Dogy: I'd say AWBW is the most common method of PVP Advance Wars.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Oh God, this is the series that brought me into the internet. I joined an AW fansite when I was 13 (January 2006) and still frequent it. Good times lol.

I used to play AWBW like it was my job. 400+ games completed (though some were lost in server crashes). I had some pretty mad skillz in my prime.

My profile: http://awbw.amarriner.com/profile.php?username=Deaninator

The huge changes that Days of Ruin introduced sort of turned me off. I haven't played much since. But if any of you would be interested in a game of AWBW, I would gladly play with you.
I'd like to play with you. I have another friend (Flayl), and together we've started to play on it a lot.^^

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
I always felt that people thought AW2 had better balance than the original because max got a well deserved nerf. Unfortunately half of the co's in the 2nd game are broken (Nell, Hachi, Colin, Kanbei, Sensei, Lash, Sturm, etc.). That being said, I liked the second game's campaign mode a lot better. Balance might be different than what I think in competitive play.

I don't have either of the DS games, unfortunately. I heard they removed the War Room in Days of Ruin. Is that true? I love War Room...

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
yeah i tried using that awbw site but it wouldnt work for me idk why...
also i noticed someone linked their thread that was made 7 or so months ago, i had made a previous thread 1 or 2 years ago, lmfao.

also i beat all 3 games on hard campaign, but i couldnt finish DoR even on normal mode... it just seemed too ****ty and a waste of time to be brutally honest

Top Bottom