• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I know alot of people are gonna complain saying adol is just another swordsman but the new ys game,ys ix monstrum nox shows that adol can summon a demon arm at will and he can use that more than his sword
I personally think Sakurai would take the most from 1+2, Seven and 8, although that depends on when they'd theoretically even talk to Falcom about this.

Welcome btw.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Speaking of Gens d'Armes, here's a nice banger for the day. The arranged version from the Ys VIII Super Ultimate ost. :2gud:

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
First, welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you. Next, for future reference, I suggest simply editing your original post (instead of posting multiple times in a row) if you have more to add to it. Also, I haven't played it in a while, but there actually is a mod for Adol in Smash 4. Well, technically it's just his character model with some voice clips pasted over Roy, but it's better than nothing.

I think I was around your age now (roughly 15 or so) back when I first got into Ys. I played a Japanese demo of Ys 7 and I was instantly hooked. Then I played demos of some remakes of the older games. A couple of years later, I ran into Trails in the Sky, recognized the developers and got hooked on that series, too. But I digress... It's crazy to see how much Smash speculation has changed, and yes, it's always nice to run into more Adol supporters online.
Understood and thank you :)

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
I personally think Sakurai would take the most from 1+2, Seven and 8, although that depends on when they'd theoretically even talk to Falcom about this.

Welcome btw.
I want ys ix monstrum nox music in ssbu and it would be cool if adol had each if his alts from each ys game

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'd take either character just for the music alone (Though I'm more biased towards the Kiseki games)

KatKit

Smash Lord
Since you prefer ARPGs but like the Kiseki series, Tokyo Xanadu is the perfect middle ground. It's an ARPG by Nihon Falcom that's basically Trails of Cold Steel (but in a modern setting) but with Ys gameplay.

It's worth checking out, for those who've never played it.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Since you prefer ARPGs but like the Kiseki series, Tokyo Xanadu is the perfect middle ground. It's an ARPG by Nihon Falcom that's basically Trails of Cold Steel (but in a modern setting) but with Ys gameplay.

It's worth checking out, for those who've never played it.
I heavily agree with this, it’s a good balance of Cold Steel and Ys stuff in particular.

Also the characters are really fun.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
So just for some side discussion, is anyone else importing Ys IX? Even if I can't read Japanese i'm doing so. Because even if it's more story heavy like 8 was, I think I can just play and have fun.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Fortunately, you'll understand a lot of the context (and trying to figure out everything that's happening has its own charm). I managed to piece together what was going on in older titles way back when I played the PSP demos from PSN Japan (and didn't understand the language at the time). Although the gameplay alone will be enough to justify the purchase, so like you said, you can just have fun.

I might import eventually, but I can't afford it at the moment. I've already paid for Trails of Cold Steel 3 though, so I'll finally be able to play that at the end of the month.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'ma wait till they localize it. One of the main reasons why I love Y's is the lore, and I take the narrative seriously (character backstories, references to locations, artifacts, Adol's past experiences, etc.).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Doesn't help that Falcom is under the radar these days, so it's more accurate that people don't even know of them. Partly because XSEED took so long thoroughly translating Trails in the Sky entries...

Well, that and the "no swordies!" sentiment caused by FE's overreliance on lords with swords getting in. At least Ys VIII has decent presence right now, alongside Cold Steel.
honestly, I think Fire Emblem was the problem because most other sword users can do more than them and have more to offer.
Adol, Lloyd, Travis, Flynn all have something about them that Fire Emblem can't or doesn't have plus we have a lot of people who use there fist who cares

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
honestly, I think Fire Emblem was the problem because most other sword users can do more than them and have more to offer.
Adol, Lloyd, Travis, Flynn all have something about them that Fire Emblem can't or doesn't have plus we have a lot of people who use there fist who cares
Nah FE swordies can do plenty. People just started getting upset, you also saw the too many swordies sentiment with Shulk back in 4 too, also Cloud. So people don't particularly care where they come from.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Nah FE swordies can do plenty. People just started getting upset, you also saw the too many swordies sentiment with Shulk back in 4 too, also Cloud. So people don't particularly care where they come from.
well the people who want no sowrdies are dumb lol there awesome

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Somewhat unrelated to the topic of Adol for Smash Bros. Ultimate, but still related to the Y's series; I was searching for more info on Y's IX earlier today and learned more or less of what kicks off the plot. With Falcom revealing part of the DLC content for the game (including a Geis arm doll), I'm expecting to see quite a number of callbacks to the events of Y's VI: The Ark of Napishtim. :awesome:

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
So just for some side discussion, is anyone else importing Ys IX? Even if I can't read Japanese i'm doing so. Because even if it's more story heavy like 8 was, I think I can just play and have fun.
I wanna get ys ix but the Japanese version makes me think twice because I wanna get into the story,without the Japanese text stopping me and imagine there's a intense moment and you dont get why its happening

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Somewhat unrelated to the topic of Adol for Smash Bros. Ultimate, but still related to the Y's series; I was searching for more info on Y's IX earlier today and learned more or less of what kicks off the plot. With Falcom revealing part of the DLC content for the game (including a Geis arm doll), I'm expecting to see quite a number of callbacks to the events of Y's VI: The Ark of Napishtim. :awesome:
I'm even more hype.

I wanna get ys ix but the Japanese version makes me think twice because I wanna get into the story,without the Japanese text stopping me and imagine there's a intense moment and you dont get why its happening
While Ys is starting to get a little more story heavy and I do enjoy it's lore, I also enjoy it's pure gameplay so I'm gonna double dip :p.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Past me would have double dipped but I have a lot on my plate already ;p

Jrod86259

Smash Rookie
Then I guess i'll start working on that :p haha.

Also just so you have something to do, how did you get into Ys? (anyone else can answer this too).
When I was a kid my family wasn't that well off, so when everyone was upgrading to gamecubes and stuff, I had an old Snes. I had to make the most of what I had with the games I had, and Ys III was one of them. I lost count of how many times I beat it, never getting bored. Eventually I was able to upgrade to newer gen consoles, but I wasn't able to find anymore Ys games. It wasn't until about half a year ago, that was out shopping and spotted Ys VIII. I bought it immediately and rushed home to play it. It didn't disappoint. A wave of nostalgia hit me as I played through it, and countless childhood memories came back. The music, level design, and difficulty was just as good if not better. When I beat it I went to go search for my snes. I plugged it in, along with my copy of Ys III and beat that too. I'm sad it took me this long to wander back in, but I'm glad I did. I plan on getting my hands on copies of the other Ys games, and plunging right into them.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
When I was a kid my family wasn't that well off, so when everyone was upgrading to gamecubes and stuff, I had an old Snes. I had to make the most of what I had with the games I had, and Ys III was one of them. I lost count of how many times I beat it, never getting bored. Eventually I was able to upgrade to newer gen consoles, but I wasn't able to find anymore Ys games. It wasn't until about half a year ago, that was out shopping and spotted Ys VIII. I bought it immediately and rushed home to play it. It didn't disappoint. A wave of nostalgia hit me as I played through it, and countless childhood memories came back. The music, level design, and difficulty was just as good if not better. When I beat it I went to go search for my snes. I plugged it in, along with my copy of Ys III and beat that too. I'm sad it took me this long to wander back in, but I'm glad I did. I plan on getting my hands on copies of the other Ys games, and plunging right into them.
Well most of them are on Steam so keep going back in!

Also man Ys 9 is fun

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Well, guess I'ma spoil myself and watch playthroughs of the game on YouTube until it gets localized. :ohwell: Gotta get in on dat lore.:shades:

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
Heres a short story how I met ys my love of my life xD so Me and my cousin were at Burger King,eating breakfast and I brought up the topic of xenoblade chronicles ost was of the best ost in ssb4,then he said yeah your right,let me show you something my friend showed me,and I was curious what he was about to show me,then he told me to put his phone next to my ear,and i played it and I was like :O,and I asked him what is this!?,and he replied it's from a game name ys seven and that's how my adventure began

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Well, guess I'ma spoil myself and watch playthroughs of the game on YouTube until it gets localized. :ohwell: Gotta get in on dat lore.:shades:
I'm mostly just using OCR software to figure out what everyone is saying... needless to say, machine translation kinda sucks

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm mostly just using OCR software to figure out what everyone is saying... needless to say, machine translation kinda sucks
I'm mostly just enjoying the gameplay waiting for the localization for the full story while trying to make my own takes and such haha.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Hello,

I know this is kind of late. But I support this effort!
In fact I've been trying to push this for awhile myself.

I've started this:

https://www.ranker.com/list/nintendo-switch-smash-bros-character-predictions/mick-jacobs

But I don't know how much weight it will carry.

What more can I do to help spread the word?

And BTW if you think this helps, lets all vote for Adol,

Thanks
I’ll do it, also yeah this forum can be a tad finicky sometimes.

Also sorry Adol folks I’ve been so busy with work, Ys 9 and such haha

Oddball

Smash Lord
I agree. I won't be silent. Now that there's more DLC coming. Adol may have a chance.

Vote for Adol:

https://www.ranker.com/list/nintendo-switch-smash-bros-character-predictions/mick-jacobs

I don't know how much this will actually help, but it doesn't hurt.
Thanks for the reminder. I've been totally neglecting my list.

I even forgot to add Adol on it. (And he's added now.)

Mine might not be as popular, but it's got more choices and I generally try to keep it free from stupid joke picks and meme characters.

azrethvaloros

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the reminder. I've been totally neglecting my list.

I even forgot to add Adol on it. (And he's added now.)

Mine might not be as popular, but it's got more choices and I generally try to keep it free from stupid joke picks and meme characters.
We have an Adol Hater amongst us!
(Sorry for all the posts! : / )
He claims that I've rigged the polls. Let's Prove him Wrong!

Everyone supporting Adol Vote for him now!

https://strawpoll.com/11kxwfhe

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
As my pfp probably gives away, big Estelle supporter for Smash here. I'm glad I find more people supporting a Falcom rep.

I honestly have yet to play any Ys game so I cannot give my opinion about Adol, although the music is pretty good as expected. But I have played Cold Steel. And sure, he's a good character that grows on you (Although, not nearly as close as Estelle. Sorry if my bias is showing).

But really, I'm not Sakurai so I wouldn't know his thought process; but if I were him and had to choose a Trails/Kiseki rep, I'd choose the one that isn't a Swordfighter as the roster has a lot of them already. Estelle is not only a non-swordfighter but also is the missing female rep. That's 2 birds with 1 stone. Not to mention Estele IS the face of The Legend of Heroes, and Falcom knows it. She has appeared on every Kiseki arc this far (hopefully that doesn't change)

Pardon me if my bias is showing too much, but she just makes more sense as the Kiseki rep frankly speaking.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
As my pfp probably gives away, big Estelle supporter for Smash here. I'm glad I find more people supporting a Falcom rep.

I honestly have yet to play any Ys game so I cannot give my opinion about Adol, although the music is pretty good as expected. But I have played Cold Steel. And sure, he's a good character that grows on you (Although, not nearly as close as Estelle. Sorry if my bias is showing). But really, I'm not Sakurai so I wouldn't know his thought process; but if I were him and had to choose a Trails/Kiseki rep, I'd choose the one that isn't a Swordfighter as the roster has a lot of them already. Estelle is not only a non-swordfighter but also is the missing female rep. That's 2 birds with 1 stone. Not to mention Estele IS the face of The Legend of Heroes, and Falcom knows it. She has appeared on every Kiseki arc this far (hopefully that doesn't change)

Pardon me if my bias is showing too much, but she just makes more sense as the Kiseki rep frankly speaking.
It's cool.:) I've actually played Trails in the Sky (1, and SC) and Estelle's character could also be a tremendous addition to the roster. Actually, Falcom has four strong candidates that could be offered up for inclusion in Smash:

1. Adol Christin (Ys)
2. Estelle Bright (The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky)
3. Rean Schwarzer (The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel)
4. Parin (Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure)

Indeed Estelle could bring a fresh, new playstyle to Smash with her having a staff as her weapon. Most of her attacks would have nice range (making them safe on shield), and some of her S-Crafts could be implemented as some of her specials. And she could cover the "female representation" I've seen some clamoring for on other threads (which is understandable). As for a stage, I think it would have to be either Grancel (plaza with Grancel Castle in the background), or aboard an airliner...? (Actually, Grancel would fit best imo).

Now, with regards to Adol

These days, thinking on the Ys series in general, and recalling Adol's adventures, and all equipment sets one acquires, it came to me that Adol could be considered pretty much THE swordsman from RPGs. I say this because in comparison to other RPG MCs like Cecil Harvey, Cloud Strife, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, etc., Adol has been on the most number of adventures. I doubt Ys IX is the last chapter since the often referenced adventure logs of Adol himself allude to him having written experiences of many more adventures that we've yet to see. From Ys I to IX, one can see his growth as a character, and as one who knows his way with a sword. He's faced numerous fearsome foes, and has helped solve near-world-endangering crises. He's received the blessings from numerous deities across different lands, and it would seem that since the very beginning he has always been some sort of proxy to the deities themselves (specifically the Gods revered in the Tritheism religion within Ys). Sure that, in some of his adventures he's had the help of other strong individuals (such as his best friend Dogi, who has accompanied him since Ys I), but the plot of all entries moves forward with Adol at its center.

On the matter of how would him being included in Smash Bros. Ultimate be seen by most people, I fear that they would brush him off as just another swordfighter, and that is truly a shame. From the outside, that's what he appears to be, but those who've played through a number of the Ys games know that he can do much more than just swing a sword. On the first page of this thread there's some potential movesets that could be implemented from some of his games that would set him apart from being "just another swordfighter".

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
As for a stage, I think it would have to be either Grancel (plaza with Grancel Castle in the background), or aboard an airliner...? (Actually, Grancel would fit best imo).
Oh man, yes. The idea of it being on the Arseille which is the most important airship in Trails in the Sky brings me joy. Top of the Grancel Castle or the last area on SC (big tower) could also be good stages.

Now, with regards to Adol [...]
Admittedly, I do see him as 'just' another swordfighter. But he is what made Falcom what it is today. I can't deny the fact of how important he is and that he can be more than just your average swordsman. So I'm not against the idea of him joining the roster. A Falcom rep is a Falcom rep. The music is just as awesome. But again, I have to play the games myself first to get a better idea of how he can work in Smash.

Top Bottom