• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
User:SharkLord1954/Sandbox/Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ys | Fantendo - Game Ideas & More | Fandom
Alright, I'm starting up a concept for a hypothetical Ys pack. This time around, and I'm aiming for a more realistic idea, with as little exaggeration as possible; Something that we could actually see Sakurai doing. Adol's main "gimmick" is being able to switch between the three different VI weapons, with various techniques and moves from throughout the series being used as his normals. I'm not quite sure what to do with his specials, though.
The stage is also subject to change; Darm Tower seems like the obvious choice, but I may also use a stage from another game. The first alternative would be the Isle of Seiren, since VIII is considered one of the best in the series, but I could also bring in a stage from Oath or Ark for the recognizability, or even Balduq from IX because of recency.
Basically, I'm checking in for some suggestions.
Hmm, for stages, maybe Valestein Castle from Felghana? The final area from Napishtim?

Though it would probably be a place from the first two games. Or that's how I feel about it. Darm Tower could be a very cool stage aesthetically.

Also I'm on the final stretch of Ys 7, holy ****, this game hasn't found any way for me to criticize, especially when I now have a combination of skills and equipment to go ham on everything
Yeah the game is super fun. I think it would have been cool if 8 also had the possibility of changing the attack type of each character, like Seven does. Luckily that feature returned with IX.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
User:SharkLord1954/Sandbox/Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Ys | Fantendo - Game Ideas & More | Fandom
Alright, I'm starting up a concept for a hypothetical Ys pack. This time around, and I'm aiming for a more realistic idea, with as little exaggeration as possible; Something that we could actually see Sakurai doing. Adol's main "gimmick" is being able to switch between the three different VI weapons, with various techniques and moves from throughout the series being used as his normals. I'm not quite sure what to do with his specials, though.
The stage is also subject to change; Darm Tower seems like the obvious choice, but I may also use a stage from another game. The first alternative would be the Isle of Seiren, since VIII is considered one of the best in the series, but I could also bring in a stage from Oath or Ark for the recognizability, or even Balduq from IX because of recency.
Basically, I'm checking in for some suggestions.
If they wanted a stage from VIII, I think Castaway Village would be an obvious choice, but I was thinking of something that could have a unique stage mechanic and came up with
the Eternian ruins, with it periodically switching between past and present. Maybe in the past you could see Dana plant a prayer tree in the background, and then the next time it switches over to the present the tree would be overgrown and make a bunch of new platforms to fight on. Admittedly that already feels kind of similar to stage morph, but it could be a cool idea for a stage.
In other news, I've started IX and am really enjoying it so far (right now I've just started chapter 4). Tbh the gameplay loop of exploring Balduq each chapter reminds me a lot of the Spider-Man PS4 game, since there are different kinds of collectibles scattered throughout the city, each with their own bonuses you get for collecting them. I'm also glad I'm going into it mostly blind.

What would people's thoughts be if they went with the Crimson King design for Adol in Smash? For me, I'd be okay with it -- it's definitely an outlier compared to all his other designs, but at the very least I think it would help alleviate the inevitable "Roy 2" complaints that I could see happening from people who aren't familiar with Ys.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
For YS stages I feel like they would pick a location from the first two games. So I'm guessing Darm Tower or Solomon Shrine or maybe even just have transitions of the entire continent of Esteria and the floating island of YS.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What would people's thoughts be if they went with the Crimson King design for Adol in Smash? For me, I'd be okay with it -- it's definitely an outlier compared to all his other designs, but at the very least I think it would help alleviate the inevitable "Roy 2" complaints that I could see happening from people who aren't familiar with Ys.
That'd be an interesting scenario. Monstrum Adol's certainly a unique design, but it'd feel rather odd to have that be his default. It's meant to be an abnormality, and it wouldn't suit him as much as his classic armor or the modern jacket design. Plus, we'd have to brace ourselves for another wave of "SHILL PICK" complaints like with Byleth, seeing as FP2 was finalized around the time Monstrum Nox released. It'd make a sick alt costume though, that's for sure.

Side note, I'm been thinking of some ways I could cover the entire series for my Ys DLC concept. Adol's Final Smash would be based on his Extra Skills, but with the added flair of cycling through the strongest swords of each game. His stage would simply be titles Adol's Travelogues, being a book that opens up and then takes you to areas from each game, to allow for extra cameos. His alts would be designs from each games, though I may use designs from the same game instead to make up for the similarities in the earlier games.

Granted, the alts and stage might be a bit impractical, as that would be eight different models and eight different stages. Even if we make their platforms fairly similar, that would be pretty big undertaking. Might just stick with Darm Tower.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so I'm sticking with the Adol's Travelogues stage idea. Thing is, I'm not sure what to do for all of the different games. I intend to use places that are important to their respective games, but I also want to have unique themes for each of them. So far, I've got:
  • Darm Tower - Chronicles (Not sure if I should skip II or not, since they're often grouped together)
  • Redmont - Oath in Felghana
  • Great Forest of Celceta - Memories of Celceta
  • Kefin? - Ys V
  • Ruined City of Kishgal - Ark of Napishtim
  • ??? - Ys SEVEN
  • Isle of Seiren - Lacrimosa of Dana
  • Balduq - Monstrum Nox
Any places you think would be better? Also, should I group Ys I and II together, or count them separately?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'd count the first two games as one for this. I don't see any problem with that.

For Ys SEVEN you could maybe use the final area? If not, then Altago City itself, which could bring some cool looking shots

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, so we've got all the stages now. Though, I feel like eight different sections might be a bit much, especially since I'm aiming for a more realistic concept. Think I'll cut it down to four, for the sake of simplicity. Darm Tower, Redmont, and the Isle of Seiren are locked in, being representative of the first game and the two games considered the best, but I'm not sure what the last one should be.
I'm thinking either Kishgal, for repping the first game in the modern era and it's importance to the lore, or Altago City, for being the first game with the party system and representing the earlier games of that formula, using the old top-down perspective rather than the behind-the-back one. Leaning more towards Altago, but what do you think?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright, so we've got all the stages now. Though, I feel like eight different sections might be a bit much, especially since I'm aiming for a more realistic concept. Think I'll cut it down to four, for the sake of simplicity. Darm Tower, Redmont, and the Isle of Seiren are locked in, being representative of the first game and the two games considered the best, but I'm not sure what the last one should be.
I'm thinking either Kishgal, for repping the first game in the modern era and it's importance to the lore, or Altago City, for being the first game with the party system and representing the earlier games of that formula, using the old top-down perspective rather than the behind-the-back one. Leaning more towards Altago, but what do you think?
Stupid question, but are you making this pack under the assumption that Ys IX will still be the latest game? If so, you might be able to get away with adding Balduq.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Stupid question, but are you making this pack under the assumption that Ys IX will still be the latest game? If so, you might be able to get away with adding Balduq.
Hmm, might do that. The pass would've been finalized around the time IX released in Japan, so Sakurai would've had enough time to play it around then. Might be a nice way to give it a subtle push while still covering all the bases. Though, that gives me a bit of doubts about Redmont, since we'd already have a city/town area going on. Might change it to a different place, to avoid too much overlap.

On a side note, I think it'd be cool if the traveling platform that moved you from place to place was a tiny island in the vein of Ys, with some extra cameos on it for games without a represented area. That way we can give a nod to everyone, including the titular island itself.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Using the power of a quick Google Images search, I found a properly transparentized version of Adol's Ys VI artwork. The wiki uses one with a white background, so this should come in handy.
AdolAoN.png

More importantly, however, I found artwork for Adol's Silver Armor outfit in Ys VIII. It was a limited-time pre-order bonus, unfortunately. Still, it's a nicely modernized version of his iconic design, and I think it could be used as a base for Adol's design in Smash.
AdolSilverArmor.png

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Using the power of a quick Google Images search, I found a properly transparentized version of Adol's Ys VI artwork. The wiki uses one with a white background, so this should come in handy.
View attachment 302389
More importantly, however, I found artwork for Adol's Silver Armor outfit in Ys VIII. It was a limited-time pre-order bonus, unfortunately. Still, it's a nicely modernized version of his iconic design, and I think it could be used as a base for Adol's design in Smash.
View attachment 302390
Yeah it was a DLC thing.

Though I must say... something about the second outfit always looked a bit off to me. His head is very anime in comparison to the armour.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been working on the Ys Challenger Pack for a while. How's it look so far?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm liking it so far, though I can't tell if it might be a little TOO in depth, namely in the History section. That's probably just me, though. I understand that Ys has a lot to say for itself.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sounds good but I feel you mixed up horizontal and vertical. Horizontal is left and right, vertical is up and down. Also, no clue what you meant with the comparison to Ike's nair, did you mean his back air?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Given the mechanics of Pyra and Mythra, it seems like if we get Adol, he wouldn't use the sword switching from Ark. Of course, Adol himself isn't disqualified; With how much the series has changed over the years, there's a lot of potential mechanics. My money's on the Flash Guard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Given the mechanics of Pyra and Mythra, it seems like if we get Adol, he wouldn't use the sword switching from Ark. Of course, Adol himself isn't disqualified; With how much the series has changed over the years, there's a lot of potential mechanics. My money's on the Flash Guard.
3 movesets is very different from 2 sets of specials, if that's too similar then we wouldn't have got this either because of Min Min's Arm change

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hey Adol Thread, I've been playing through the YS series ever since seeing it talked about in the general thread and seeing all games on sale on Steam months ago (except V because it was never released outside of Japan for whatever reason). I've beaten YSI and II complete and Oath to Falghena, and am midway through memories of Calceta.

And yeah I'm definitely down for Adol being in Smash, even just for the music alone tbh.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hey Adol Thread, I've been playing through the YS series ever since seeing it talked about in the general thread and seeing all games on sale on Steam months ago (except V because it was never released outside of Japan for whatever reason). I've beaten YSI and II complete and Oath to Falghena, and am midway through memories of Calceta.

And yeah I'm definitely down for Adol being in Smash, even just for the music alone tbh.
That's cool to hear. I'm guessing you're enjoying the games, I am right? Which one you prefer so far?

I still have to play Celceta and Ys Origin. And Ys IX which just got released.

ZelDan

Smash Master
That's cool to hear. I'm guessing you're enjoying the games, I am right? Which one you prefer so far?

I still have to play Celceta and Ys Origin. And Ys IX which just got released.
yeah I've been enjoying the games quite a bit.

If I had to pick a favorite of what I've played so far, I'd probably give to Memories of Calceta.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
yeah I've been enjoying the games quite a bit.

If I had to pick a favorite of what I've played so far, I'd probably give to Memories of Calceta.
Cool. I'll have to try Memories of Celceta soon. I hope you keep enjoying the series, I got into Ys recently but between the games being very fun and not extremely long I've already played a good amount of entries.

I recently replayed Oath in Felghana in Hard because I loved it so there's that lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Welcome to the club!

I got into the series with VIII-Still my favorite game period-And then I went back to the first two games and started working my way up from there. Playing them in release order, to see how the series has evolved. Ark was kinda clucky, but Oath refined it into something real high-quality. I'm currently playing through Origin, which feels the smoothest out of them all and has the best boss fights. It's an interesting experience, because there's more references to other games in the series, but has a completely different setting and no Adol.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So Falcom recently did another one of their popularity polls, and Adol managed to place first. I don't have the image on me, but he was competing against a bunch of Trails characters, for what it's worth.
Looks like the Trail characters are staying true to their franchise and are trailing Adol's popularity. :4pacman:

Lame pun aside, after beating Memories of Calceta, I decided to break from Adol's journey and start YS Origins on Switch last week. Goddamn you really Cleria stones in this game. I only missed one by the time I first got to the Silent Sands and damn was that no bueno.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
So Falcom recently did another one of their popularity polls, and Adol managed to place first. I don't have the image on me, but he was competing against a bunch of Trails characters, for what it's worth.
Honestly, I'm not super surprised about this. While Trails is certainly a great series and many of their characters, especially Rean, are fairly well-known and iconic, Adol is still the face of Falcom. Especially with IX looking to be one of the best games in the series (can't wait until I get to play that game as I have the Switch version preordered), Ys remains the most popular of their franchises and with more eyes being drawn to it then ever before it shouldn't be shocking that the Red-Haired Swordsman is the their most beloved creation. (Also noticed that I'm not on the supporters list for some reason. I request to be added.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The poll in question, for context
1615353957432.png

The majority is Trails characters; Makes sense, given how much more Trails characters there are. Shame we didn't get at least Geis or Chester, though...

Also, translated polls for best song and introductions to Falcom
1615354057488.png

1615354075907.png

Like with the characters, there's a lot more Trails songs than Ys songs. The first Falcom game is different, though; There's a lot more people starting with Ys games than Trails games. Makes sense, seeing how much more story-focused it is.

Also note that these are apparently the midterms, so these might change later on.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
God, I would love a Falcom character just for the soundtrack alone.

I'm kinda getting burned out on sword-users though, after we got Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra I'm failing to get an idea of what they could do to make Adol or Rean particularly unique.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
God, I would love a Falcom character just for the soundtrack alone.

I'm kinda getting burned out on sword-users though, after we got Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra I'm failing to get an idea of what they could do to make Adol or Rean particularly unique.
That's the gimmick. Adol's special mechanic is having a rock band follow him around wherever he goes.

Speaking seriously, Adol is rather simplistic. He has some magic artifacts and some skills from the later games, but as one of the original swordbois, he's pretty much pure swordfighter. I suppose they could at least give him some extra multihits to reflect Ys' fast-paced actiony nature, like with Bayonetta.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I am really curious about how Sakurai would handle Adol. YS2 complete and YS3: OtF have him using magic while YSIV: MoC has him purely as a swordfighter who can learn various different sword skills. And that's just less than half the games he appears in.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I am really curious about how Sakurai would handle Adol. YS2 complete and YS3: OtF have him using magic while YSIV: MoC has him purely as a swordfighter who can learn various different sword skills. And that's just less than half the games he appears in.
I would imagine his moves to be very swordheavy, with attacks based on the different skills he learns throughout the series (specifically VIII and IX)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For reference:
  • Ys V has him casting spells with alchemically-created stones, but that game's the least remembered, due to it's slow gameplay, generic graphics, lack of the famous Falcom rock, and, of course, the complete lack of official translations or Steam porting. I can only see a couple songs/remixes for this one.
  • Ys VI gives him three magical Emelas swords; The one-handed Livart, the greatsword Brilliante, and the rapier Ericcil, inbued with wind, fire, and lightning, respectively. These swords have a special technique and a powerful skill each.
  • Ys Seven takes the same route as Memories of Celceta, being a pure swordfighter with various techniques, though some skills utilize energy projectiles. He can also equip greatswords and rapiers like in VI, though they don't have any magic. It also gives him the Flash Guard mechanic, which could be used as a traditional or Revenge-styled counter.
  • Ys VIII follows the same route as Seven and Celceta, being a swordfighter with various techniques (And unexplained projectiles and laser blades), and keeps the Flash Guard and Flash Move from Seven (Though the latter was introduced in Celceta).
  • Ys IX, once again, makes him a swordfighter with flashy techniques, except this time it's explained by him being turned into a gothic edgelord Monstrum. In addition to the Flash Guard and Flash Move, he also gains the Crimson Line, which is effectively a teleport dash that lets him reach far-away platforms and close the gap between enemies.
I expect him to be a standard swordfighter with flashy techniques, maybe with some magic artifacts and the Flash Guard for his specials.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Flash Move could be part of his dodge, in a similar fashion to Foresight or Bat Within.

I definitely feel the specials from the 3 special swords of Ys VI would play a part on his moveset in some way.

They could also pull some moves from all the skills Adol uses in the Ys party-based games.

In my mind his sword would be in almost all of his moves and all, but I think that using his abilities from the different Ys games could bring something very cool and unique. He would be fast and at first glance, kinda basic, but I feel there would be enough room to surprise us thanks to all the different things he uses throughout the series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah nah I'd rather not have more Bat Within clones, it's a bad mechanic in Smash since it's debut.

One skill I'd want is Pentagram, Adol would dash forward and slash, if he hits a shield or misses, he gets quite a bit of endlag, if he hits, he zips and zooms around who he hit to perform all the strikes while the final hit sends then flying

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I've been making progress in Ys Seven, and I'm really enjoying it. I just got to the part where Adol survives his execution and breaks out of jail with Dogi and Geis. Dang, things take quite a turn!

When I went into Seven, I was expecting to miss Flash Move & Flash Guard, but tbh I really like not having it. The combat feels like a hybrid between Ark/Oath/Origin's system and modern Ys, and at least with the bosses it makes it feel so much more tense. The bird boss from the wind shrine was definitely one of my top three bosses in the franchise so far, along with Chester 2 in Oath and Rene-Nygtilger in IX.

Where I am in the story also makes me want a shirtless alt for Adol with his coliseum/execution design. That would be something to rival Sephiroth's shirtless alt for sure haha

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been making progress in Ys Seven, and I'm really enjoying it. I just got to the part where Adol survives his execution and breaks out of jail with Dogi and Geis. Dang, things take quite a turn!

When I went into Seven, I was expecting to miss Flash Move & Flash Guard, but tbh I really like not having it. The combat feels like a hybrid between Ark/Oath/Origin's system and modern Ys, and at least with the bosses it makes it feel so much more tense. The bird boss from the wind shrine was definitely one of my top three bosses in the franchise so far, along with Chester 2 in Oath and Rene-Nygtilger in IX.

Where I am in the story also makes me want a shirtless alt for Adol with his coliseum/execution design. That would be something to rival Sephiroth's shirtless alt for sure haha
Glad you're enjoying it. My laptop chugs when playing that game, so I can't really play it. Yeah, can't even run a PSP game. Pain.

Though, it still has the Flash Guard, actually. Press both triggers. Though, it's nerfed quite a bit; No invincibility after the block, so unless you can mash those triggers it's not nearly as useful.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

As SharkLord said the game actually has Flash Guard but it's never explained. Maybe it was in a physical release, which back then usually came with a manual so maybe that mechanic was explained there. But don't worry I never knew it was in the game until I decided to look for info online lol

About Ys Seven, as I said when I finished it I actually liked a lot the "simplicity" of it's combat. I guess it's more simple compared to Ys VIII, but as you mentioned the game kinda feels like hybrid of the modern battle system and the Napishtim engine games, and I enjoyed that a lot. I think it's one of my favorite entries so far, or at least, I believe it's somewhat underrated.

Not gonna lie btw but in a way I'd like for them to return with a solo Adol adventure for the next Ys game or something. Well maybe not totally alone but after 4 games with the party system I could see them adding a new battle system to keep things more fresh.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've actually been playing Ys VII as well. It's cool that Dogi is actually playable for once. Also neat that Geis is also in this game.

In terms of gameplay, it's nice that the game makes sure you really have to switch characters to do damage, while in MoC the lesser damage for attacking the enemy of the wrong type wasn't that much, meaning alot of times I just went "**** it" and stuck with whatever my party was when fighting.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I probably didn't even have to spoiler the name. Dude shows up in the intro trailer and I think is on the boxart........Eh whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom