• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I want something like this on my wall too, looks great. I was thinking of that other artwork with the three of them looking up (anniversary pic?), but then I remembered Kevin and that other girl which I haven't gotten far enough to recognize, are there too.
I know what you're talking about. I've had this on my wall for a few months now. The idea to have this artwork though was in my head for a year, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Had to add a bit more vibrancy and a black border to it. I know its a grey area to get these made but my option was either:
A. Get it made on Photoshop and printed out at a print shop a 15 minute walk from my college and same day made.
B. Have a low chance of finding the artwork on eBay or what have you, pay double at least and shipped from halfway around the world which could take a month.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I found this video about our boy adol I really do believe he's got a chance I know he's going to get into ultimate playable I have no choice but to believe it

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I found this video about our boy adol I really do believe he's got a chance I know he's going to get into ultimate playable I have no choice but to believe it
I'm here hoping as well that our boy, Adol Christin, a.k.a. Adol The Red joins Ultimate as well. He's got history, presence on Nintendo systems, is still an ongoing series, and its music (oh my GOD ITS MUSIC:eek::shades:) simply slaps HARD. Four-way dream match of Link vs. Cloud vs. Hero (Erdrick) vs. Adol. LET'S GO! Actually... make it a six-way match; throw in Shulk and Marth as well. :2gud: Wait a minute... six... three vs. three... Oh my...

Squad Strike:
Team Nintendo (Link, Marth, Shulk)
VS.
Team Challengers (Hero, Adol, Cloud)

Dutch Raikuna

I want Adol like you guys but I'm more for Rean or Estelle.

Plus I want a Tour of Erebonia kind of stage from Trails.....

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'm here hoping as well that our boy, Adol Christin, a.k.a. Adol The Red joins Ultimate as well. He's got history, presence on Nintendo systems, is still an ongoing series, and its music (oh my GOD ITS MUSIC:eek::shades:) simply slaps HARD. Four-way dream match of Link vs. Cloud vs. Hero (Erdrick) vs. Adol. LET'S GO! Actually... make it a six-way match; throw in Shulk and Marth as well. :2gud: Wait a minute... six... three vs. three... Oh my...

Squad Strike:
Team Nintendo (Link, Marth, Shulk)
VS.
Team Challengers (Hero, Adol, Cloud)
I like the way you think mate Falcom created the ARPG genre with out them there would be no tales of (although correct me if I'm wrong lol) Lloyd and Adol old school and modern arpg together prefect

azrethvaloros

Smash Rookie
Due to Byleth's reveal Adol's chances are slim. Byleth got 64K dislikes on the Nintendo's stream. That was more than half.
I imagine Adol would receive the same amount of hate. I really want Adol. There's 6 more spots available. I guess we'll know in 2 years.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Due to Byleth's reveal Adol's chances are slim. Byleth got 64K dislikes on the Nintendo's stream. That was more than half.
I imagine Adol would receive the same amount of hate. I really want Adol. There's 6 more spots available. I guess we'll know in 2 years.
Now that you mention it, I too have that concern since Adol's main weapon is a sword. However, the backlash of Byleth's reveal was more due to them being yet another Fire Emblem character, rather than "another sword fighter". Adol could be seen as another Hero, but I believe he could be unique in his own way, depending on the playstyle Falcom/Sakura and Co. decide to implement in the game (whether the Ys I & II's bump system; Ys III and VI's elemental bracelets/swords system; or Ys IV, Seven, VIII, and IX's skill system). Personally, Adol's playstyle in the later games (IV, Seven, VIII, and IX) would be the way to go due to his mobility, the different skills he learns which could be translated as his entire moveset (basically), AND the Flash Guard/Move mechanic (I LOVE hearing that clashing sound from Flash Guard :2gud:).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I imagine Adol would receive the same amount of hate. I really want Adol. There are 6 more spots available. I guess we'll know in 2 years.
Adol has a chance Byleth being in doesn't change that they knew he was going to be hated because he was from fire emblem if that moveset was on any other character not from that series it would be taken so much better then it is plus the smash fanbase is a contradiction they don't want sword characters but they want Dante and Sora or someone from tales of Adol using a sword doesn't matter he would get in because of the legacy of the franchise/company and not get as much hate as Byleth did which was because he was from FE

Last edited:

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
Can someone make a video of Adol skills pls because I want to make a video of a moveset for adol and I need someone help for that

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Can someone make a video of Adol skills pls because I want to make a video of a moveset for adol and I need someone help for that
well, which skills are you talking about like the bump system the system where he has magic or the skill system were he has moves that you level up?

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
Guys this is gonna sound suprising but I made that adol video awhile back my insta is to_kenshi

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
I'd love to be in Smash you know, but well, I spend my whole time crashing on shores, so I don't think that I'll be in time for Smash Ultimate, especially by boat.
And I'm also using a sword, like countless of other Smashers. I don't want to be considered as a "generic anime swordman" even if I'm one of the precursors like that old pal Erdrick.

Of course I'm supporting myself (please, add me to the list), and I do have some stories and background with Nintendo and old video game history, but hey, let's face it, unless Falcom ports my latest adventure on Switch, the odds are more than slims.
But no way I'd leave my spot to Estelle or that brown haired Gary Stu: Rean.

Yeah I know, I speak too much, so I'll end this message by doing what I do best in most of my games: nodding and smiling.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'd love to be in Smash you know, but well, I spend my whole time crashing on shores, so I don't think that I'll be in time for Smash Ultimate, especially by boat.
And I'm also using a sword, like countless of other Smashers. I don't want to be considered as a "generic anime swordman" even if I'm one of the precursors like that old pal Erdrick.

Of course I'm supporting myself (please, add me to the list), and I do have some stories and background with Nintendo and old video game history, but hey, let's face it, unless Falcom ports my latest adventure on Switch, the odds are more than slims.

Yeah I know, I speak too much, so I'll end this message by doing what I do best in most of my games: nodding and smiling.
This would work better if your profile pic wasn't a blonde anime girl

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet

Thank you Adol, very cool

Bruhinator

Smash Rookie
I honestly think a Falcom character has a pretty decent chance. Whenever people used to speculate a Persona or SNK character, many people would laugh at that, look where we are now.
Just like SNK, Falcom has a long history in Japanese gaming and I think they have a pretty good shot at getting a character in Smash. Many of their new titles have also started being ported over to the switch recently, which increases the chances.

Pixelato95

Smash Rookie
I'm glad a board like this exists. I had just recently got in Falcom games, or more specifically the Ys and Trails games. Only games I've played through so far are Ys VIII (which was my first introduction in the series), Oath in Felganha, and Cold Steel I & II. I plan to try out the Sky (already starting on the Trails in the Sky FC) and Crossbell games before I get my hands on Cold Steel III (boy, do I have too much free time).

But anyways, I'd love to have Adol be in Smash. Rean and Estelle would also be amazing picks, but I kinda feel like Adol has a higher chance since Ys is basically Falcom's flagship franchise. Kinda like how SEGA has Sonic, Capcom has Mega Man, Namco has Pac-Man, etc. Not only that, but the Ys series has quite a bit of legacy behind it too.

In terms of movesets, I can see quite of unique potential that would make Adol standout from your common swordusers. I won't go too deep in details, but the Skill attacks he acquires in Seven, Memories of Celceta, and VIII could be used for his standard Smash Attacks, while the Monstrum abilities could be his Special moves. (Ex. Adol's grappling arm could be his Side Special, and Hawk's wings could be his Aerial Recovery.)

Or perhaps he could aquire the Emelas swords from Ys VI. Perhaps he could swap through them like Byleth does with the Relics, or something similar to the Monster Hunter MC where each weapon has their own set of moves?

There's also the magic bracelets he requires from Oath in Felganha, though one could argue that he would be to similar to Robin and Hero. I could also imagine Adol having the speed of Marth, the flashiness of Meta Knight, and possibly the strength of Link since that's how I always saw him when I played Ys VIII.

Much like everyone else said similarly, the music in Falcom games are highly praised and critically acclaimed. And Ys is no exception. Ys games house some of my favorite video game soundtracks in existance. Right alongside Kirby, Xenoblade, Sonic, Persona, Castlevania. I could imagine Adol having a similar number of tracks with him like Simon and Terry did. A lot of them could just be the music in their original glory.

Some of my personal picks would be like this:

-Ys I:
Theme of Adol
First Step Towards War
Holders of Power
Tower of the Shadow of Death
Dreaming
Final Battle

-Ys II:
Ruins of Moondoria
Ice Ridge of Noltia
Solomon Shrine
Subterranean Canal
Termination

-Ys III/Oath in Felganha:
The Boy Who Had His Wings
Be Careful
Illburn Ruins
Valenstine Castle
Chop!!
The Strongest Foe

-Ys IV (Dawn of Ys/Memories of Celceta):
Burning Sword
In the Fires of Ignition
Tower of Province (A Kiss from Eldeel)
The Morning After the Storm
Seeking the Vanished Mask
Ancient Land
Temple of the Sun
A False God of Causality

-Ys VI:
Mighty Obstacle
Windslash Steps
Mountain Zone
The Ruined City 'Kishgal'
Ernest

-Ys Origin:
Genisis ~ Beyond the Beginning
Scarlet Tempest
Silent Desert
Scars of the Divine Wing

-Ys Seven:
Mother Earth Altago
Vacant Interference
Desert of Despair
Crossing Rage!
Legend of the Five Dragons
Scias
Ancient Disputation

-Ys VIII:

Sunshine Coastline
Deadly Temptation
A Footprint in the Wet Sand
Crimsion Fighter
Gens d'Armes
Next Step Toward the Unknown
Iclucian Dance
Hope Alive
A-to-Z

-Ys IX:
Heart Beat Shaker
Cloaca Maxima
Monstrum Spectrum
Norse Wind
Desert After Tears
Glessing Way

(I didn't list any for V because I haven't personally played the game).
You got a good 50+ tracks that rivals the number Terry has. Some of these could have their own remixes too. I could easily imagine Yoko Shimomoura doing a cover of Iclucian Dance, or ACE+ with Crossing Rage. And why not add some Sky and Cold Steel music like Sophisticated Fight, Silver Will, A Glint of Cold Steel, Tie a Link of Arcus, and Blue Destination.

As for costume alts...instead of generic color skins, why not have Adol wear his outfits from the various games he was in? His default one could be his outfit from VIII, then it could go to I & II (his outfit in VI is basically the same), Oath in Felganha, Seven, Memories of Celceta, his default outfit in IX, his Monstrum form in IX, then his swimsuit DLC outfit from VIII because why not?

Like I said, I'd be more than happy if other Falcom characters like Estelle and Rean got in over Adol, but if we're going by characters that represent the company/have a legacy (which Smash tends to do most of the time)....Adol has a higher chance.

Then again, the chances of Falcom getting any representation in Smash is pretty low. Still, a guy can dream.

Last edited:

Abade

Smash Apprentice
I like to throw in my support for Adol or any Nihon Falcom character in general. Looking at how influential Nihon Falcom is such as revolutionizing action role playing games and pioneering video game music, it is perplexing that Super Smash Bros Ultimate, a “celebration of video game history” still haven’t included Nihon Falcom in it.

Sakurai is a fan of the Ys series. He's mentioned in interviews that he has Ys I & II on the Wii Virtual Console (https://sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/) and has given glowing praise to Ys Seven in a Famitsu column (https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/4581.html, search 桜井政博).

He apparently also tweeted praise for VIII (based on a cursory search through JP Twitter), but said tweet may have been deleted.

http://archive.fo/ytnPx
http://archive.fo/EJlTH

These two tweets were made within hours of each other, which suggests that Sakurai made the tweet around that time.

Nihon Falcom did say they would like to be in Smash

https://nintendoeverything.com/falcom-on-reason-for-porting-ys-viii-to-switch-future-support-and-smash-bros/

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would anyone be willing to watch me stream Trails in the Sky in maybe a few hours from now give or take? Twitch link is in my sig but I'll post my link again when i go live. I started Trails 1 a while back, didn't get too far in it but enjoyed what I played so far, and would love to share my experience playing this game c:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Would anyone be willing to watch me stream Trails in the Sky in maybe a few hours from now give or take? Twitch link is in my sig but I'll post my link again when i go live. I started Trails 1 a while back, didn't get too far in it but enjoyed what I played so far, and would love to share my experience playing this game c:
I'd be down

DetectiveSS

Smash Cadet
I played Ys 8 on Switch and while I didn’t finish it, I actually really enjoyed what I played. I’m all for this.

Man, I gotta finish that game at some point.

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
I have a question for Y'all,what ys ost would you like to have arrangement on/mine is adol theme 1993,crimson fighter,crimson wings, walking the path of a legend,monstrum spectrum,wild card,desert of despair,And desert after tears

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
We got an ACTUAL announcement on April fools. Cold Steel 4 for PS4 in Fall this year, and later for PC and Switch in 2021, it's kinda crazy that we're getting this announced before CS3 releases on Switch.

Source: https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1245418493492649984?s=19
Wow, the games are being localized far quicker than I expected. CS3 only just came out on PC, and like you said, not even on Switch yet... Nice surprise though, even if the date this was announced on had me double checking lol

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Oh hey, there's an Adol support thread! there are more people of culture i see, just thinking about Ys music in Smash... that would be glorious. Add me to the supporters list!

Btw i really wish Falcom put more games on the Switch, i'm happy we got Ys 8, but i need more Ys, i feel the Switch is a great console to introduce the series to more people, imagine Ys I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, Seven, etc. on the Switch.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I have a question for Y'all,what ys ost would you like to have arrangement on/mine is adol theme 1993,crimson fighter,crimson wings, walking the path of a legend,monstrum spectrum,wild card,desert of despair,And desert after tears
Hmm, for ost remasters I'd pick...

- The Last Moment of the Dark [Ys I Chronicles]
- Final Battle [Ys I Chronicles] (although... it really doesn't need one with how much it SLAPS as it is :shades:)
- Illburns Ruins [Ys: Oath in Felghana]
- Theme of Chester [Ys: Oath in Felghana]
- Seal of Time [Ys: Oath in Felghana]
- Release of the Far West Ocean [Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim] (oh HECK yes this one)
- Ernst [Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim] (would be very interesting how they'd work this one up \m/ )
- Innocent Primeval Breaker [Ys Seven]
- Desert of Despair [Ys Seven]

I'd add more but honestly, the Ys games osts are pretty much already bangers as is. Any rearrangement though would be welcomed.

We got an ACTUAL announcement on April fools. Cold Steel 4 for PS4 in Fall this year, and later for PC and Switch in 2021, it's kinda crazy that we're getting this announced before CS3 releases on Switch.

I was checking yesterday when was Ys IX released and, hopefully in the same line as the Cold Steel announcement, we may get an Ys IX localization announcement around September this year...? (please Falcom). :sadeyes:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

The fact that Cold Steel got on the Switch at all is more of a surprise to me.

If we don't get at least a spirit event out of this, it'll be more conspicuously strange.

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
I was checking yesterday when was Ys IX released and, hopefully in the same line as the Cold Steel announcement, we may get an Ys IX localization announcement around September this year...? (please Falcom). :sadeyes:
I wouldn't be surprised one bit, Ys IX should be easier to localize than Cold Steel 3 and 4, too. Just a matter of time I'd say

Dutch Raikuna

Top Bottom