• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The sad truth. They should really try to give Trails in the Sky another go on the Switch, maybe as a Trilogy instead of one by one now that they have them all translated. YS 8 was a nice step forward, but it just isn't enough. Instead of getting Trails in the Sky, we got Akatsuki no Kiseki. What a joke, to be honest.
Akatsuki is still a step in the right direction! I think it might lead to us getting more on the Switch, Kondo does want to end the misconception that Falcom and Nintendo don’t get along after all.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The sad truth. They should really try to give Trails in the Sky another go on the Switch, maybe as a Trilogy instead of one by one now that they have them all translated. YS 8 was a nice step forward, but it just isn't enough. Instead of getting Trails in the Sky, we got Akatsuki no Kiseki. What a joke, to be honest.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky Collection (includes all three chapters of the saga). That would be a solid move. Also with Trails of Cold Steel IV having been released for a while now, they could perhaps do the same (Trails of Cold Steel Collection), or release them individually.

That's something I actually didn't even know but hopefully someone wants to port there games on switch
It'll depend on Kondo's decision and if they see sufficient demand for Ys/The Legend of Heroes games on the Switch. Dunno if Ys IX was launched first for PS4 due to it being launched as a console exclusive (for a period of time).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky Collection (includes all three chapters of the saga). That would be a solid move. Also with Trails of Cold Steel IV having been released for a while now, they could perhaps do the same (Trails of Cold Steel Collection), or release them individually.

It'll depend on Kondo's decision and if they see sufficient demand for Ys/The Legend of Heroes games on the Switch. Dunno if Ys IX was launched first for PS4 due to it being launched as a console exclusive (for a period of time).
Well Jrpgs sell really well on switch at this point they just need to put stuff on the console Ys Trials I don't care I want there games but I don't really wanna go all these other places to get them I feel like there is a demand but we keep seeing articles like they don't know how to develop for switch or there main audience is on Ps4 which is debatable but most Nintendo fans kinda gave up hope

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
I hope they do have monstrum nox on switch. After all, ys 8's switch release is what lead to all the text patching ;p. But real talk i just like having a game that I can take places. Whether it's a business trip or just going over a friend's house to show him some good **** I like taking games with me. My ps4 and PC are too big to lug around x.x

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I hope they do have monstrum nox on switch. After all, ys 8's switch release is what lead to all the text patching ;p. But real talk i just like having a game that I can take places. Whether it's a business trip or just going over a friend's house to show him some good **** I like taking games with me. My ps4 and PC are too big to lug around x.x
I have a feeling we might get it on Switch, but we first will have to wait for the localization announcement period. Just gotta be patient.

It's such a fun game though, even without me really understanding much of whats going on outside of basic menus and such.

If you're curious to see how some of the bosses go, I have a playlist of them as far as i've gotten so far.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB7E9LL-WM3ZVjBSaMtkWO_QGw8JzcS2L

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'd expect Ys IX to get localized (for PS4 and perhaps for Switch and PC as well) sometime around September 2020, or entering 2021. Not sure if the Initial release's exclusivity for the PS4 covers up to one year.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd expect Ys IX to get localized (for PS4 and perhaps for Switch and PC as well) sometime around September 2020, or entering 2021. Not sure if the Initial release's exclusivity for the PS4 covers up to one year.
Yeah i'm not sure either, it's ok we have the Cold Steel 3 Localization this month as is.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Not relating to Ys, but Trails, this Eurogamer interview with the Falcom President.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...f-falcom-japans-longest-running-rpg-developer
I can see right now they're focusing a lot on the Trails series (Cold Steel) with the western release of III, and having concluded the Erebonian arc (with potentially the Calvard Republic being the next arc). I can understand they're challenge of balancing between releasing new IPs/games, and remakes of past titles (since remakes not necessarily drive fans to buy the games, contrary to say sequels); however I do strongly hope they have a remake of Ys V in mind sometime in the future (they could even make a re-make EXACTLY like Ys VI; those graphics and playstyle are still fun to this day).

Something that is mentioned near the beginning of the article is something that makes falcom games unique. Games like Ys, The Legend of Heroes don't necessarily need incredible HD 3D graphics to be fun, engaging, and memorable. Ys I & II, VI, Trails in the Sky (1, 2, and 3); they're visuals and gameplay are PREFECT for their own and they are complemented with great music and story. With the latest games it's notable that they're trying to catch up to other developers in terms of visuals but, I hope they don't lose their way doing so.

For now we'll just have to wait what Falcom brings next (Ys IX localization announcement soon and Ys V remake PLS).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I can see right now they're focusing a lot on the Trails series (Cold Steel) with the western release of III, and having concluded the Erebonian arc (with potentially the Calvard Republic being the next arc). I can understand they're challenge of balancing between releasing new IPs/games, and remakes of past titles (since remakes not necessarily drive fans to buy the games, contrary to say sequels); however I do strongly hope they have a remake of Ys V in mind sometime in the future (they could even make a re-make EXACTLY like Ys VI; those graphics and playstyle are still fun to this day).

Something that is mentioned near the beginning of the article is something that makes falcom games unique. Games like Ys, The Legend of Heroes don't necessarily need incredible HD 3D graphics to be fun, engaging, and memorable. Ys I & II, VI, Trails in the Sky (1, 2, and 3); they're visuals and gameplay are PREFECT for their own and they are complemented with great music and story. With the latest games it's notable that they're trying to catch up to other developers in terms of visuals but, I hope they don't lose their way doing so.

For now we'll just have to wait what Falcom brings next (Ys IX localization announcement soon and Ys V remake PLS).
Yeah I agree with you wholeheartedly. Although honestly I love VIII and IX so much I kind of hope the V remake is in their styles haha, considering it might give Lost Kefin the life it needs, considering the original is a little bit of a mess ^^;

Also the script is progressing pretty well, might need some suggestions on the Classic Mode route though https://docs.google.com/document/d/18De0qUNozRVMnueOfmWsWOnoflQRTT4j5UGchi6Bgy8/edit

Was thinking he'd fight other adventurers and such.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Yeah I agree with you wholeheartedly. Although honestly I love VIII and IX so much I kind of hope the V remake is in their styles haha, considering it might give Lost Kefin the life it needs, considering the original is a little bit of a mess ^^;

Also the script is progressing pretty well, might need some suggestions on the Classic Mode route though https://docs.google.com/document/d/18De0qUNozRVMnueOfmWsWOnoflQRTT4j5UGchi6Bgy8/edit

Was thinking he'd fight other adventurers and such.
Maybe something like silent heros?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
In regards to Adol's Classic Mode, how about the following fights

1. vs. Robin (alt 1) on Adol Stage (Omega Form) (Dark Fact; Ys I Final Battle)
2. vs. Zelda (alt 6) & Giant Robin (alt 1) on Adol Stage (referencing fight vs Zava; after being defeated Giant Robin spawns referencing Dalles; Ys II)
3. vs. Giant Ridley (alt 2 or 4) on Mushroomy Kingdom (Omega Form) (referencing the fight against Sol-Galba; Memories of Celceta)
4. vs. Marth (alt 5) on Castle Siege (referencing the fight against Chester; Oath in Felghana)
5. vs. Giant Greninja (alt 1), Giant Bowser (alt 2), Ridley (alt 5), and Giant Palutena (alt 3) (referencing the fights against the Warden Psyche bosses in Ys VIII)
6. vs. Ike (alt 3) & three mini Pits (alts 2, 3, and 5) on Frigate Orpheon (Omega Form) (referencing the fight against Ernst and his three homunculi; Ark of Napishtim)
7. vs. Chrom (alt 5) & Palutena (alt 3 or 5) on Spear Pillar, or Reset Bomb Forest (Omega Form) (referencing the fights between Scias, and later Tialuna; Seven)
Bonus = same old, same old :emptysheep:
Final Battle = Galeem (referencing the fight against Darm at the end of Ys II).

This is what I could come up with within this hour, give or take. :awesome: (I know that there are a number of fights that repeat fighters but, just couldn't think of better matches for said fights :urg:).

EDIT: NoOtherPersona NoOtherPersona just gave me an idea! :eek: How about, fighting against all Sword Fighters? (Link, Marth, Roy, Ike, Shulk, Corrin, Hero (four skin types)). It could go something like:

1. vs. Young Link, Toon Link, and Link (in that order; the next appearing after defeating the former; referencing the timelines)
2. vs. Marth & Roy (referencing their appearance in Melee)
3. vs. Ike (both young, and mature skins)
4. vs. Chrom, Lucina (referencing Fire Emblem Awakening)
5. vs. Shulk
6. vs. Cloud
7. vs. Hero (all four different skins; appearing in order of series; III, IV, VIII, XI).
Bonus Stage
Final Battle = vs. Demon King Ganon

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
In regards to Adol's Classic Mode, how about the following fights

1. vs. Robin (alt 1) on Adol Stage (Omega Form) (Dark Fact; Ys I Final Battle)
2. vs. Zelda (alt 6) & Giant Robin (alt 1) on Adol Stage (referencing fight vs Zava; after being defeated Giant Robin spawns referencing Dalles; Ys II)
3. vs. Giant Ridley (alt 2 or 4) on Mushroomy Kingdom (Omega Form) (referencing the fight against Sol-Galba; Memories of Celceta)
4. vs. Marth (alt 5) on Castle Siege (referencing the fight against Chester; Oath in Felghana)
5. vs. Giant Greninja (alt 1), Giant Bowser (alt 2), Ridley (alt 5), and Giant Palutena (alt 3) (referencing the fights against the Warden Psyche bosses in Ys VIII)
6. vs. Ike (alt 3) & three mini Pits (alts 2, 3, and 5) on Frigate Orpheon (Omega Form) (referencing the fight against Ernst and his three homunculi; Ark of Napishtim)
7. vs. Chrom (alt 5) & Palutena (alt 3 or 5) on Spear Pillar, or Reset Bomb Forest (Omega Form) (referencing the fights between Scias, and later Tialuna; Seven)
Bonus = same old, same old :emptysheep:
Final Battle = Galeem (referencing the fight against Darm at the end of Ys II).

This is what I could come up with within this hour, give or take. :awesome: (I know that there are a number of fights that repeat fighters but, just couldn't think of better matches for said fights :urg:).

EDIT: NoOtherPersona NoOtherPersona just gave me an idea! :eek: How about, fighting against all Sword Fighters? (Link, Marth, Roy, Ike, Shulk, Corrin, Hero (four skin types)). It could go something like:

1. vs. Young Link, Toon Link, and Link (in that order; the next appearing after defeating the former; referencing the timelines)
2. vs. Marth & Roy (referencing their appearance in Melee)
3. vs. Ike (both young, and mature skins)
4. vs. Chrom, Lucina (referencing Fire Emblem Awakening)
5. vs. Shulk
6. vs. Cloud
7. vs. Hero (all four different skins; appearing in order of series; III, IV, VIII, XI).
Bonus Stage
Final Battle = vs. Demon King Ganon
Seems like two good ideas, although part of me wants to go all out with him fighting other adventurers like Ryu, Pokemon Trainer, Link etc. haha

I will put the first in the doc probably for the time being. Although I have one change, make the first fight vs Mewtwo. I feel he fits Fact more

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Him Vs Link would be cool since they cam out at the same time maybe you could end it with that

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Him Vs Link would be cool since they cam out at the same time maybe you could end it with that
Yeah I kind of wanted that unless we go the route of YsDisciple YsDisciple 's idea, which I'm liking a lot, and funny enough if we got Lloyd Irving before we got Adol, he'd fit the role of Chester in YsDisciple's route like perfect.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ideas for Spirits (and Spirit Battles)

Enemy Spirit: Reah & Feena
Enemy Fighter: Palutena (x2), or Zelda (x2)
Type: Support
Effect: Increase Magic Attack
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent relies heavily on special moves; 2. Opponent's magic attacks are stronger
Stage: Temple (Melee), Skyworld, or Palutena's Temple
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Pikkards
Enemy Fighter: Tiny Pikachu (x4 or 6)
Effect: Increased Recovery from Food Items
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will avoid combat; 2. Stamina battle
Stage: Garden of Hope, Gaur Plain, or Wuhu Island
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Dogi
Enemy Fighter: Either Ike (alt 2), or Terry Bogard (blue alt)
Type: Primary - Shield
Effect: Increase Attack from Punches
Support Slots: 1 or 2
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will not flinch; 2. Opponent relies heavily on punches and dash attacks
Stage: Unova Pokémon League, Arena Ferox, or Wrecking Crew
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Geis
Enemy Fighter: Either Cloud (alt 5 or 6), or Ike (alt 8)
Type: Primary - Attack
Effect: Increase Melee Weapon Attack (Swords, bats, etc.)
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will call for reinforcements (Tiny Charizard, Tiny Pikachu, and Tiny Greninja); 2. Opponent has increased Attack
Stage: Arena Ferox, Unova Pokémon League, or Mushroomy Kingdom (all options either Battlefield, or Omega forms)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Raba
Enemy Fighter: Mii Swordfighter (Vince outfit)
Effect: Easier Dodging
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will tend to avoid combat; 2. The opponent will occasionally turn invisible; 3. Timed battle
Stage: Unova Pokémon League, Castle Siege, Reset Bomb Forest, or Dracula's Castle

These are the ideas I could come up with for now. Might think of some others later.

EDIT: To avoid double posting, here are some other Spirit Battle ideas for the Ys series

Enemy Spirit: Hugo Fact
Enemy Fighter: Robin (alt 1)
Type: Primary - Neutral
Effect: Can be Enhanced on Lv. 99
Support Slots: 3
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will rely heavily on special moves; 2. Opponent's special moves are stronger
Stage: Spear Pillar, or Reset Bomb Forest
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spirit: Dark Fact (Enhanced Hugo Fact spirit)
Type: Primary - Neutral
Effect: Magic Attack & Movement Speed = Increases the power of magic attacks, and slightly increases movement speed
Support Slots: 3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Dana
Enemy Fighter: Lucina (x3) = First Lucina (alt 1) will be equipped with Killing Edge ; Second Lucina (alt 2 or 5) will be equipped with Ore Club; Third Lucina (alt 6) will be equipped with Beam Sword. The three Lucina's will be fought individually (one after the other)
Effect: Can be Enhanced on Lv. 99
Support Slots: 2
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will rely heavily on melee attacks; 2. Stamina Battle
Stage: Wuhu Island, Garden of Hope, or Unova Pokémon League (Omega Form)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spirit: Goddess of Time Dana (Enhanced Dana spirit)
Effect: Giant Killer
Support Slots: 2

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Ideas for Spirits (and Spirit Battles)

Enemy Spirit: Reah & Feena
Enemy Fighter: Palutena (x2), or Zelda (x2)
Effect: Increase Magic Attack
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent relies heavily on special moves; 2. Opponent's magic attacks are stronger
Stage: Temple (Melee), Skyworld, or Palutena's Temple
Enemy Spirit: Pikkards
Enemy Fighter: Tiny Pikachu (x4 or 6)
Effect: Increased Recovery from Food Items
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will avoid combat; 2. Stamina battle
Stage: Garden of Hope, Gaur Plain, or Wuhu Island
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Dogi
Enemy Fighter: Either Ike (alt 2), or Terry Bogard (blue alt)
Effect: Increase Attack from Punches
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will not flinch; 2. Opponent relies heavily on punches and dash attacks
Stage: Unova Pokémon League, Arena Ferox, or Wrecking Crew
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Geis
Enemy Fighter: Either Cloud (alt 5 or 6), or Ike (alt 8)
Type: Primary - Attack
Effect: Increase Melee Weapon Attack (Swords, bats, etc.)
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will call for reinforcements (Tiny Charizard, Tiny Pikachu, and Tiny Greninja); 2. Opponent has increased Attack
Stage: Arena Ferox, Unova Pokémon League, or Mushroomy Kingdom (all options either Battlefield, or Omega forms)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enemy Spirit: Raba
Enemy Fighter: Mii Swordfighter (Vince outfit)
Effect: Easier Dodging
Battle Conditions: 1. Opponent will tend to avoid combat; 2. The opponent will occasionally turn invisible; 3. Timed battle
Stage: Unova Pokémon League, Castle Siege, Reset Bomb Forest, or Dracula's Castle

These are the ideas I could come up with for now. Might think of some others later.
This works for the time being! Mind if I use them?

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Sure! I've been thinking of other possible Spirit Battles. Might post them later.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I thought of adding the possibility of the Enemy Fighter repping Dogi being Captain Falcon since he is an all-out brawler but, his appearance doesn't look much like Dogi. Still, I guess based on his combat style, he could be the one after all.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I thought of adding the possibility of the Enemy Fighter repping Dogi being Captain Falcon since he is an all-out brawler but, his appearance doesn't look much like Dogi. Still, I guess based on his combat style, he could be the one after all.
I agree, but Dogi would be a rough spirit rep besides Ike but not even Ike fits super well.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Yo Jedisupersonic Jedisupersonic , I added four more spirits on the post from earlier (the one with the spirits). Check them out when you can. Had to edit that post in order not to double post. :awesome:

KatKit

Smash Lord
An upgradeable spirit I'd like to see is Tia/Tialuna. The battle can be against Lucina and Male Robin (Schias). The enemies would heal over time, the stage hazard would include high winds, and fire flowers would constantly spawn.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yo Jedisupersonic Jedisupersonic , I added four more spirits on the post from earlier (the one with the spirits). Check them out when you can. Had to edit that post in order not to double post. :awesome:
Will do ^^ thanks again.

An upgradeable spirit I'd like to see is Tia/Tialuna. The battle can be against Lucina and Male Robin (Schias). The enemies would heal over time, the stage hazard would include high winds, and fire flowers would constantly spawn.
Ohhh that is a good one.

Also I know we’ve partly gone over this already but, which of Adol’s looks would be his default? I’m still thinking his OG armor or the Ys Seven Armor with scarf

KatKit

Smash Lord
Assuming that Smash doesn't give him an original look that incorporates features from all of his other looks (or alt costumes for each one), I'm guessing we'll get an update of his Ys 1 costume like:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Assuming that Smash doesn't give him an original look that incorporates features from all of his other looks (or alt costumes for each one), I'm guessing we'll get an update of his Ys 1 costume like:

Such good DLC I love how it’s even called Silver Armor as a further nod to 1&2

We got :ultkingdedede: to represent Gruntilda, despite there being a witch present in the roster. So I don't really think anyone would necessarily know to pick a super-logical choice in the end, as far as spirit battles go.
You’re absolutely right lmao, I guess we shouldn’t try to match it 1 to 1

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'd switch Robin for Corrin (alt 1) since he is introduced as the commander of the Dragon Knights in Seven, and Corrin sort-of matches more Scias's combat style even as the Knight of Despair.
We got :ultkingdedede: to represent Gruntilda, despite there being a witch present in the roster. So I don't really think anyone would necessarily know to pick a super-logical choice in the end, as far as spirit battles go.
So I guess... Ike (alt 2) for Dogi might be feasible, since they both kinda look-a-like.

Back onto the subject of Ys spirits, I think that Sakurai would choose characters from Ys games that have been released on Nintendo game systems, which leads me to believe that the spirits would mainly be from:

- Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished (Famicom, Nintendo DS)
- Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom, Nintendo DS)
- Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom, Super Nintendo)
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Nintendo Switch)

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd switch Robin for Corrin (alt 1) since he is introduced as the commander of the Dragon Knights in Seven, and Corrin sort-of matches more Scias's combat style even as the Knight of Despair.

So I guess... Ike (alt 2) for Dogi might be feasible, since they both kinda look-a-like.

Back onto the subject of Ys spirits, I think that Sakurai would choose characters from Ys games that have been released on Nintendo game systems, which leads me to believe that the spirits would mainly be from:

- Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished (Famicom, Nintendo DS)
- Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom, Nintendo DS)
- Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom, Super Nintendo)
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Nintendo Switch)
Don’t forget V does have an SNES version too

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Don’t forget V does have an SNES version too
NANI?!?!?!

Quickly checks Digital Emelas. Sees Learn More of Ys V. Reads.

Hmhmmm. Hmhmmm. Oh. Ah, I see. Yes, correct; and perhaps spirits based off of characters from the fabled Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand. :seuss:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I also almost want an alternate Adol spirit with his hilariously bad American boxart that's a meme in the Japanese Falcom community.

23034-ys-iii-wanderers-from-ys-genesis-front-cover.jpg

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
What I find hilarious of that box art is:

1. This is supposed to be Adol in his 17s
2. Despite Dogi's depiction being accurate, seeing him wielding a sword and shield is something I find almost blasphemous.

Ah yes, the early western localized box arts. :seuss:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
What I find hilarious of that box art is:

1. This is supposed to be Adol in his 17s
2. Despite Dogi's depiction being accurate, seeing him wielding a sword and shield is something I find almost blasphemous.

Ah yes, the early western localized box arts. :seuss:
Older western localized box arts are hilarious because it looks like they all decided to look in a D&D book for the art inspiration for all of the JRPG stuff and other Japanese games. Even stuff like Phantasy Star in the west got the treatment.

Granted it worked for some games like Golden Axe, but that was trying for a Western feel lmao.

Last edited:
Top Bottom