• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

KatKit

Smash Lord
I like how this thread is just drawing in random Nihon Falcom fans. Welcome to forum, Coconattsu! Nice to meet ya.

I'm glad you brought up Estelle Bright since I was actually going to mention her. I think everyone here who's played Kiseki has a favorite protagonist. Lloyd Bannings, Kevin Graham, and Rean are all cool for various reasons. Rean's arc gets pretty bonkers after his first game and he gets a lot of character development. Moveset-wise, I think he has the most material to work with since he has an in-game power-up and essentially a giant robot. With that being said, Estelle is my favorite. Her story, her personality... just everything, really. She'd be crazy fun. Although if I got my biggest Kiseki pipe dream, we'd end up with Schera or Sharon lol

But I digress... Ys is fun. There are demos available on PSN, IIRC. Feel free to give it a shot.

Last edited:

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
I like how this thread is just drawing in random Nihon Falcom fans. Welcome to forum, Coconattsu! Nice to meet ya.

I'm glad you brought up Estelle Bright since I was actually going to mention her. I think everyone here who's played Kiseki has a favorite protagonist. Lloyd Bannings, Kevin Graham, and Rean are all cool for various reasons. Rean's arc gets pretty bonkers after his first game and he gets a lot of character development. Moveset-wise, I think he has the most material to work with since he has an in-game power-up and essentially a giant robot. With that being said, Estelle is my favorite. Her story, her personality... just everything, really. She'd be crazy fun.

But I digress... Ys is fun. There are demos available on PSN, IIRC. Feel free to give it a shot.
Thanks for the warm welcome o/ Yeah this thread alone did draw me to the forum, it's a topic I'm certainly passionate about.
I do not have a PS system at the moment so that's not an option, but PC has plenty of stuff I could try, so no problem there.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It's cool to see support for falcom in general I just wish they'd put there stuff on Nintendo platforms more I'd play them more often then I do now which is sometimes

KatKit

Smash Lord
Thanks for the warm welcome o/ Yeah this thread alone did draw me to the forum, it's a topic I'm certainly passionate about.
I do not have a PS system at the moment so that's not an option, but PC has plenty of stuff I could try, so no problem there.
No problem. Before this topic was made, when I first ran into someone here talking about Kiseki, I was as surprised as I was excited lol. Thanks to Ultimate being what it is, for the first time ever a Falcom rep seems possible.

Oops. Well, Ys Origin has a demo and if it interests you, the game is cheap, too ($20).

It's cool to see support for falcom in general I just wish they'd put there stuff on Nintendo platforms more I'd play them more often then I do now which is sometimes
Same.

Seeing as how we got a Ys 8 port, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up getting Tokyo Xanadu one day as well.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
No problem. Before this topic was made, when I first ran into someone here talking about Kiseki, I was as surprised as I was excited lol. Thanks to Ultimate being what it is, for the first time ever a Falcom rep seems possible.

Oops. Well, Ys Origin has a demo and if it interests you, the game is cheap, too ($20).

Same.

Seeing as how we got a Ys 8 port, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up getting Tokyo Xanadu one day as well.
I'm just waiting patiently I remember in the Square Seven thread I said Nintendo would want to entice Falcom to put more of there stuff on Nintendo consoles Adol would be perfect because he's been on Nintendo consoles and would be an old school action rpg rep but they have to figure out how the switch works or something

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
As my pfp probably gives away, big Estelle supporter for Smash here. I'm glad I find more people supporting a Falcom rep.

I honestly have yet to play any Ys game so I cannot give my opinion about Adol, although the music is pretty good as expected. But I have played Cold Steel. And sure, he's a good character that grows on you (Although, not nearly as close as Estelle. Sorry if my bias is showing).

But really, I'm not Sakurai so I wouldn't know his thought process; but if I were him and had to choose a Trails/Kiseki rep, I'd choose the one that isn't a Swordfighter as the roster has a lot of them already. Estelle is not only a non-swordfighter but also is the missing female rep. That's 2 birds with 1 stone. Not to mention Estele IS the face of The Legend of Heroes, and Falcom knows it. She has appeared on every Kiseki arc this far (hopefully that doesn't change)

Pardon me if my bias is showing too much, but she just makes more sense as the Kiseki rep frankly speaking.
That's fine, Bestelle is great. I agree she'd be a good choice, most of why I have Rean in that possible Kiseki slot at the moment is mostly Kondo's own words and the character poll post Sen 4, not Sakurai's words of course (closest we have to him mentioning Falcom is his collection of games having Ys 1 and 2 still).

Estelle, Lloyd, Kevin or Rean would be hype. I just also personally think Rean as he's still riding the highs of the series right now would be the current go to, but i'd be literally fine with any Falcom choice as I love them all.

Last edited:

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
That's fine, Bestelle is great. I agree she'd be a good choice, most of why I have Rean in that possible Kiseki slot at the moment is mostly Kondo's own words and the character poll post Sen 4, not Sakurai's words of course (closest we have to him mentioning Falcom is his collection of games having Ys 1 and 2 still).

Estelle, Lloyd, Kevin or Rean would be hype. I just also personally think Rean as he's still riding the highs of the series right now would be the current go to, but i'd be literally fine with any Falcom choice as I love them all.
Oh, that's awesome that you're on board with Bestelle!

You're right about the Rean hype, but, man, Kondo can be a bit unpredictable about who he likes the most. There was an AMA on Reddit about 3 months ago where he mentions he loves them all like his children but has a special place for Estelle as she was the first. Then, on an interview, he says Rean is the best and he can relate more to him or something like that. So, with that in mind, feels like he changes his mind pretty quickly. I got no sources for this interview, though.

Can I request this character poll though? I'm interested in looking at these results thoroughly

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So I was on papa geno's discord server and apparently there was a leak fake maybe but a leak regardless about something falcom related I'd say that's pretty cool

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Broke: Toshihiro Kondo: Mr. Sakurai, from our franchises, I've brought these possible characters. Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky, Rean Schwarzer from Trails of Cold Steel, or Adol Christin from Ys.

Woke: Sakurai: I was actually thinking on Yunica Tovah, Hugo or Toal Fact, Parin, Renne, or Ernst ... actually, I've decided. Pikkard cosplaying Adol it is. :troll:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Dunno if you guys have seen this, and obviously you'd want to take it with like a truckload of salt, but:

https://yuki.la/v/480311147

No real reason to buy into the legitimacy of this, but just the fact that there's someone dropping fakes of that is pretty funny. But if it was real? Good god sign me up.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Oh, that's awesome that you're on board with Bestelle!

You're right about the Rean hype, but, man, Kondo can be a bit unpredictable about who he likes the most. There was an AMA on Reddit about 3 months ago where he mentions he loves them all like his children but has a special place for Estelle as she was the first. Then, on an interview, he says Rean is the best and he can relate more to him or something like that. So, with that in mind, feels like he changes his mind pretty quickly. I got no sources for this interview, though.

Can I request this character poll though? I'm interested in looking at these results thoroughly
https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1109738129525796870

EpVjNwx.png

Mostly from Gu4n who posts about the Japanese Falcom stuff tons. I don't think it goes much into who is exactly likely but the Japanese fandom reaaaaally love Rean haha.

Dunno if you guys have seen this, and obviously you'd want to take it with like a truckload of salt, but:

No real reason to buy into the legitimacy of this, but just the fact that there's someone dropping fakes of that is pretty funny. But if it was real? Good god sign me up.
You know what Fake leaks tell me? That there is demand. Might not be the strongest but damn.

Broke: Toshihiro Kondo: Mr. Sakurai, from our franchises, I've brought these possible characters. Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky, Rean Schwarzer from Trails of Cold Steel, or Adol Christin from Ys.

Woke: Sakurai: I was actually thinking on Yunica Tovah, Hugo or Toal Fact, Parin, Renne, or Ernst ... actually, I've decided. Pikkard cosplaying Adol it is. :troll:
Toal Fact comes in playing like Wolverine from Marvel vs Capcom lmao.

The cat, the myth, the legend.

Also a friend of mine who is way better at image editing than me helped with a possible like Dogi alt color for me.

VkAA5LN.png

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I'd certainly kill for a Kiseki character in Smash. It doesn't seem THAT farfetched to me, either, though my thinking would be Adol gets first dibs. But yeah, 40 seconds of questionable audio ain't a hill I want to die on in terms of leaks.

But it's fun to dream on it!

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd certainly kill for a Kiseki character in Smash. It doesn't seem THAT farfetched to me, either, though my thinking would be Adol gets first dibs. But yeah, 40 seconds of questionable audio ain't a hill I want to die on in terms of leaks.

But it's fun to dream on it!
Yeah i'm not gonna say it's proof at all, I'm just saying it shows there's existent demand haha. It's being seen as more plausible as we go along and that's very awesome ngl. Even if it doesn't happen, we can spread the word of the good name of Falcom.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I just realized if adol where to get leaked and gain traction hed be called or compared to Roy

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
https://twitter.com/rosestarart/status/1036408414769897472

Also there was a western held fan Trails poll between 1000 people (including myself) and it had some fun results.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19RoJJ1Vje-lCtSrYzfaz4XG3wuQKrHZaO4usPWMK4qo/edit

It's gonna happen with everyone I mean Terry Bogard is being called Hat Ken for heavens sake.
Yeah but mostly alot of people think ken and terry are similar in many ways and they are somewhat but that's what we get to deal with also I can't participate in that poll since all I've played is ys I know nothing else but I like the Protagonist that has brown hair and a blue jacket whoever that is

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yeah but mostly alot of people think ken and terry are similar in many ways and they are somewhat but that's what we get to deal with also I can't participate in that poll since all I've played is ys I know nothing else but I like the Protagonist that has brown hair and a blue jacket whoever that is
It's long over haha, also you're thinking of Lloyd Bannings. He's one of my absolute favs.

Also Terry and Ken might look a little similar but their fighting styles are so different people are gonna be blown away lmao.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It's long over haha, also you're thinking of Lloyd Bannings. He's one of my absolute favs.

Also Terry and Ken might look a little similar but their fighting styles are so different people are gonna be blown away lmao.
Yeah I already know that other then terry and ken being white dudes with blonde hair and sameish personality fighting style Terry is really different and he's got cool words to say with his moves also yeah that Lloyd guy looks really cool to me

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
https://twitter.com/rosestarart/status/1036408414769897472

Also there was a western held fan Trails poll between 1000 people (including myself) and it had some fun results.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19RoJJ1Vje-lCtSrYzfaz4XG3wuQKrHZaO4usPWMK4qo/edit

It's gonna happen with everyone I mean Terry Bogard is being called Hat Ken for heavens sake.

Thanks for both polls. The last one did really go in-depth, that's a lot of effort!

About that leak, what a rollercoaster of emotions that was. I'd say that was the trigger for me coming here, so at least it did serve a purpose. Later did I find the arrangement already existed after asking in the Falcom Discord (Thanks Livi, credit where credit is due). The whole "I'm related to a composer" thing is just fishy as hell, sadly.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Thanks for both polls. The last one did really go in-depth, that's a lot of effort!

About that leak, what a rollercoaster of emotions that was. I'd say that was the trigger for me coming here, so at least it did serve a purpose. Later did I find the arrangement already existed after asking in the Falcom Discord (Thanks Livi, credit where credit is due). The whole "I'm related to a composer" thing is just fishy as hell, sadly.
You're welcome!

Imagine being related to someone in the JDK band.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
low-key I really feel like Adol is gonna be another Terry Situation where if he were to get leaked people would be saying yeah of course but in all honesty, I don't really like that fact that Falcom is slept on they could very well get a character and easy too if Sakurai wanted Adol which I think he would choose him since Adol is a classic swordsman like Link and Erdrick (or any hero from Dragon Quest for that matter) and Falcom are the pioneers of the ARPG without them it wouldn't be the same so I have a feeling well get our shot and I'm putting my eggs in the Adol basket

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
A pal of mine she did some color edits for me besides the Dogi color.

https://twitter.com/__Bianconiglio

Adol Smash Color Alts.png

From Left to right: Dogi from Ys, Chester from Ys 3/Oath, Dark Fact from Ys 1, Geis from Ys 6/7, Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky, Kou from Tokyo Xanadu, Rean from Trails of Cold Steel 3/4 looks specfically.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
The first half of that audio sounds like Kimi wo Nosete from the movie Laputa: Castle in the Sky.
Not that sounding like another song is an uncommon thing in Falcom music. or video game music in general.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
A pal of mine she did some color edits for me besides the Dogi color.

https://twitter.com/__Bianconiglio

View attachment 240889

From Left to right: Dogi from Ys, Chester from Ys 3/Oath, Dark Fact from Ys 1, Geis from Ys 6/7, Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky, Kou from Tokyo Xanadu, Rean from Trails of Cold Steel 3/4 looks specfically.
I LOVE all these alt colors! :love: The reference choices are perfect! Some of the alts, in order to perhaps closely reference some of the mentioned characters, could use a different Adol skin (i.e., his look from either Memories of Celceta, Lacrimosa of Dana, or Monstrum Nox).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I LOVE all these alt colors! :love: The reference choices are perfect! Some of the alts, in order to perhaps closely reference some of the mentioned characters, could use a different Adol skin (i.e., his look from either Memories of Celceta, Lacrimosa of Dana, or Monstrum Nox).
Possibly dno how much we'd get in terms of alternate costumes though.

azrethvaloros

Smash Rookie
As my pfp probably gives away, big Estelle supporter for Smash here. I'm glad I find more people supporting a Falcom rep.

I honestly have yet to play any Ys game so I cannot give my opinion about Adol, although the music is pretty good as expected. But I have played Cold Steel. And sure, he's a good character that grows on you (Although, not nearly as close as Estelle. Sorry if my bias is showing).

But really, I'm not Sakurai so I wouldn't know his thought process; but if I were him and had to choose a Trails/Kiseki rep, I'd choose the one that isn't a Swordfighter as the roster has a lot of them already. Estelle is not only a non-swordfighter but also is the missing female rep. That's 2 birds with 1 stone. Not to mention Estele IS the face of The Legend of Heroes, and Falcom knows it. She has appeared on every Kiseki arc this far (hopefully that doesn't change)

I don't think Adol would be your typical sword fighter. Adol has a lot of magical abilities that would make him stand out.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I love it. It's... it's *sniff* beautiful! :sadeyes:
It turned out so very very well ^^ I quite love it myself, also i'm in the process of writing for a possible video i'll be doing discussing Adol in general. In Smash terms and otherwise.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18De0qUNozRVMnueOfmWsWOnoflQRTT4j5UGchi6Bgy8/edit?usp=sharing

I'm allowing side comments and I think it'd be good if you could give me some possible prompts and stuff to answer ^^ and i'll likely be using your movesets too Disciple, or at least discussing them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
low-key I really feel like Adol is gonna be another Terry Situation where if he were to get leaked people would be saying yeah of course but in all honesty, I don't really like that fact that Falcom is slept on they could very well get a character and easy too if Sakurai wanted Adol which I think he would choose him since Adol is a classic swordsman like Link and Erdrick (or any hero from Dragon Quest for that matter) and Falcom are the pioneers of the ARPG without them it wouldn't be the same so I have a feeling well get our shot and I'm putting my eggs in the Adol basket
The reality of the thing is, Falcom had been niche outside of Japan for the longest time. It didn't help that the original version of Ys III had hurt Ys' reputation enough in the West that later entries weren't brought over until VI, and XSEED's translation of Trails in the Sky entries took a while. They make just enough profit to break even as it is. And unlike with SNK, most of their older games currently aren't on a digital service or compiled for easy convenience.

In the meantime, it would be nice for the PS4 version of Memories of Celceta to get exported.

Last edited:

Coconattsu

Smash Cadet
The reality of the thing is, Falcom had been niche outside of Japan for the longest time. It didn't help that the original version of Ys III had hurt Ys' reputation enough in the West that later entries weren't brought over until VI, and XSEED's translation of Trails in the Sky entries took a while. They make just enough profit to break even as it is. And unlike with SNK, most of their older games currently aren't on a digital service or compiled for easy convenience.

In the meantime, it would be nice for the PS4 version of Memories of Celceta to get exported.
The sad truth. They should really try to give Trails in the Sky another go on the Switch, maybe as a Trilogy instead of one by one now that they have them all translated. YS 8 was a nice step forward, but it just isn't enough. Instead of getting Trails in the Sky, we got Akatsuki no Kiseki. What a joke, to be honest.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

That's something I actually didn't even know but hopefully someone wants to port there games on switch

Last edited:
Top Bottom