• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It's part of why I made this, I wanted to give us a voice. I hadn't been back to Smashboards in eons, but I figured this was the best place to do it at.
i remember a couple of days before i joined this thread i was hoping for some way to make this character noticed I don't know how to make threads but then you just showed up so my prayer was answered haha

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
i remember a couple of days before i joined this thread i was hoping for some way to make this character noticed I don't know how to make threads but then you just showed up so my prayer was answered haha
Well i'm glad I could be of assistance!

Also it's time for the Rean Schwarzer write up, because Kondo mentioned him and all.

Rean Schwarzer.png

Rean Schwarzer is the 4th protagonist of the Trails/Kiseki series and stars in all 4 Trails of Cold Steel games (as mentioned there are 9 games in this series and their plots are all interconnected), he wields a Tachi, he's kind, honest and hard working, searching for a purpose in life and often very negative towards himself, which hurts him in some instances. He's also insanely indecisive with his own path and goals. Which leads a number of characters using him for their own benefit, part of his story arc is learning to not be manipulated and to have more confidence in himself. A student at Thors Military Academy in the Erebonian Empire, he eventually becomes an instructor as well.

His fighting style relies on the Eight Leaves One Blade, sword style which in the Trails universe is one of the strongest schools of swordplay, multiple characters over the course of the franchise utilize it, but Rean was the first main character to use it (and a sword at all). Several of the techniques he uses with it, are very eastern style swordsmanship with lots of fire ontop of it, also in Trails' gameplay proper he also delays enemies with how fast his techniques are often skipping opponents turns, allowing others to take their turns sooner.

He has some hidden power as well which turns his hair pure white, the term for this form was Ogre Form/Power, also known as Spirit Unification when the player finally has access to it, it buffs his strength and speed to astronomical heights. (Think almost like a Super Saiyan transformation).

He also is a mecha pilot by the end of Cold Steel 1, piloting the Divine Knight Valimar

Grey_kishin_valimar.jpg

Rean would be Smash's first playable Eastern styled swordsman, a feat that people have been trying to get through some characters like Lyn or Sephiroth. Add ontop of that Rean's cool animations and speed, we'd have ourselves a very cool swordsman to play as. Some examples

Rean is currently one of the most popular characters in the franchise in Japan and Korea both. He's scored highly since the Trails series started doing polls around the Cold Steel Saga, if Falcom gets anyone it'll be between Adol and Rean for sure, Adol has legacy, Rean has the flashier slicker look and both have new games in the works currently. Only time will tell if we get either.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of (non-Ys) Falcom music, I like to entertain the thought of Anthem's Xanadu coming to Smash. It would be the single most surreal thing to me :rotfl:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Speaking of (non-Ys) Falcom music, I like to entertain the thought of Anthem's Xanadu coming to Smash. It would be the single most surreal thing to me :rotfl:
It would be haha! Honestly I think we need to see what music Terry gets to get a better idea how much Falcom music would be spread about.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Gotta go with the classic. Simple straightforward, no frills. I think this is the best he's looked.
classic would be cool although I do like the one with the hood but I don't mind his old look i just hope we get him in general Sakurai wants new worlds Nintendo wants to make bonds with companies Falcom wants to be close to Nintendo this would be the way

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Although you gotta admit, Falcom can barely make ends meet now. Ys entries tend to not have ports these days, so it's a wonder that VIII even got some. Smash Bros. would be the big break they need.

It would be haha! Honestly I think we need to see what music Terry gets to get a better idea how much Falcom music would be spread about.
So far, the DLC characters just had music from their games or series, so we probably won't have anything outside of Ys.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Although you gotta admit, Falcom can barely make ends meet now. Ys entries tend to not have ports these days, so it's a wonder that VIII even got some. Smash Bros. would be the big break they need.

So far, the DLC characters just had music from their games or series, so we probably won't have anything outside of Ys.
Falcom does need help but something i wonder is how big is Ys in japan

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Nah Ys is getting plenty of porting love, considering they've all had PC ports in the recent years and Celceta is getting a PS4 port after getting a PC port as well. Plus they have a gacha that's been doing fairly well on mobile, PS4 and it's being put on Switch (That's Legend of Heroes though not Ys in that instance). Don't forget that Ys Origin recently got a Xbox One port as well.

Not to mention 8's mobile port. They're doing fine in terms of ends meeting considering how small they've always been, it's more they don't have much experience outside of the Sony stuff that they need people to basically help with ports. That help is coming in more and more as time goes.

Music yeah that makes sense.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Nah Ys is getting plenty of porting love, considering they've all had PC ports in the recent years and Celceta is getting a PS4 port after getting a PC port as well. Plus they have a gacha that's been doing fairly well on mobile, PS4 and it's being put on Switch (That's Legend of Heroes though not Ys in that instance). Don't forget that Ys Origin recently got a Xbox One port as well.

Not to mention 8's mobile port. They're doing fine in terms of ends meeting considering how small they've always been, it's more they don't have much experience outside of the Sony stuff that they need people to basically help with ports. That help is coming in more and more as time goes.

My question was tho how big is Ys in Japan what do they think of the series etc

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
My question was tho how big is Ys in Japan what do they think of the series etc
How big exactly is an interesting question, we know they generally do well enough. People respect Adol and his legacy there, but I haven't actually talked to anyone who was in like direct contact with what the overall community thinks of the franchise, but considering the series has been consistently coming out there since 87, it's likely warmly received there.

It's not up there with say Dragon Quest and the like of course, but from what little I do know it is at least commonly recognized, the award I mentioned Ys 8 won was a User's Choice Award so it resonated with the players of that year in particular in Japan too.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
How big exactly is an interesting question, we know they generally do well enough. People respect Adol and his legacy there, but I haven't actually talked to anyone who was in like direct contact with what the overall community thinks of the franchise, but considering the series has been consistently coming out there since 87, it's likely warmly received there.

It's not up there with say Dragon Quest and the like of course, but from what little I do know it is at least commonly recognized, the award I mentioned Ys 8 won was a User's Choice Award so it resonated with the players of that year in particular in Japan too.
Well after looking it up he's from the twenty-second best selling jrpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I mean more how those wanting to play much older installments are kinda out of luck. First two games haven't gone past the Wii/PS2/DS/PSP days.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Aren't they remakeing those
3 and 4 are both remade already, Oath and Celceta are what those are. We still need one for 5.

Especially considering 8 takes place right after 5 and it’s super sword is what Adol uses in the tutorial fight on the boat.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
How would people feel if I did a series of gameplay demonstrations on the full scope of what Adol and Rean can do? All their moves almost all their games? It’d take me awhile to record them all but still.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
How would people feel if I did a series of gameplay demonstrations on the full scope of what Adol and Rean can do? All their moves almost all their games? It’d take me awhile to record them all but still.
Do it sounds awesome

slambros

Smash Ace
Jedisupersonic Jedisupersonic Sorry for the delayed response.

I think Adol would be cool because of how great it'd be for the Ys series. The franchise has been marching on for years while maintaining a steady fanbase. And, of course, there's a lot of people who don't want another sword user in the roster, but I'm sure there's creative ways to ensure that a new sword user feels somewhat different. Plus, the guy has cool red hair, and the fact that's he's from Ys and not Fire Emblem makes him refreshing enough.

I guess that was a long-winded way to say that I like rooting for the underdogs.

:131:

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Do it sounds awesome
Not sure when i'll be able to fully manage it, but i'll get to it when I can.

Jedisupersonic Jedisupersonic Sorry for the delayed response.

I think Adol would be cool because of how great it'd be for the Ys series. The franchise has been marching on for years while maintaining a steady fanbase. And, of course, there's a lot of people who don't want another sword user in the roster, but I'm sure there's creative ways to ensure that a new sword user feels somewhat different. Plus, the guy has cool red hair, and the fact that's he's from Ys and not Fire Emblem makes him refreshing enough.

I guess that was a long-winded way to say that I like rooting for the underdogs.

:131:
Yeah i'm sure at this point people are just gonna complain about any addition even if they didn't have a sword, also yeah I get the underdog part entirely. Always nice to push for em.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
RPG fans that haven't played Y's simply put, don't know what they're missing out on. True that we've had a number of action rpgs throughout the years like the Tales of games, Kingdom Hearts, etc., but Y's is what sparked that playstyle way back when. To add onto its distinctiveness, since early on it employed some of the most sickest 80s metal soundtracks in the likes of Y's I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, and Ark of Napishtim. Oh, and the lore, the lore is one of the main reasons why I LOVE this series. :love:

As for Adol Christin (a.k.a. Adol The Red), seeing his growth throughout the games shows how he's become much stronger, AND skilled in his swordsmanship. It's almost as if he was born with a sword in his hand, giving him the strength to fell any foe (whether it be a normal mob, or a God). A hero that contrary to simply being the "Chosen One", the deities seem to be drawn to HIM. His journeys have not been mere coincidences (got a headcanon in regards to this).

Ok, I fanboyed enough this morning. :awesome: Adol for Smash Bros. Ultimate. And for those who've yet to experience the series, I encourage you to give it a try. :) I personally recommend the Steam versions for Y's Origin, Y's I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, Memories of Celceta, Ark of Napishtim, Seven; and either PS4 or Switch version for Y's VIII.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
RPG fans that haven't played Y's simply put, don't know what they're missing out on. True that we've had a number of action rpgs throughout the years like the Tales of games, Kingdom Hearts, etc., but Y's is what sparked that playstyle way back when. To add onto its distinctiveness, since early on it employed some of the most sickest 80s metal soundtracks in the likes of Y's I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, and Ark of Napishtim. Oh, and the lore, the lore is one of the main reasons why I LOVE this series. :love:

As for Adol Christin (a.k.a. Adol The Red), seeing his growth throughout the games shows how he's become much stronger, AND skilled in his swordsmanship. It's almost as if he was born with a sword in his hand, giving him the strength to fell any foe (whether it be a normal mob, or a God). A hero that contrary to simply being the "Chosen One", the deities seem to be drawn to HIM. His journeys have not been mere coincidences (got a headcanon in regards to this).

Ok, I fanboyed enough this morning. :awesome: Adol for Smash Bros. Ultimate. And for those who've yet to experience the series, I encourage you to give it a try. :) I personally recommend the Steam versions for Y's Origin, Y's I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, Memories of Celceta, Ark of Napishtim, Seven; and either PS4 or Switch version for Y's VIII.
Let's get our red head swordsman in smash

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Never feel bad about fanboying, just reign it in outside of the thread because some might get a little tired if we do it too often (we haven't but still :p)

Yeah Ys and Falcom are amazing, also yeah Adol's growth even if the series is out of order is very great. People like Geis just challenging him to see if he lives up to the legend in Ark is proof enough of that, speaking of Geis is one of my favorite characters too. He'd be a spirit or a alt color reference, i'd hope.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Alot of people don't even think of them and the possibility of them getting a rep

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

I streamed the CS3 demo if anyone wanted to take a gander, there are spoilers from the previous games though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Alot of people don't even think of them and the possibility of them getting a rep
Doesn't help that Falcom is under the radar these days, so it's more accurate that people don't even know of them. Partly because XSEED took so long thoroughly translating Trails in the Sky entries...

Well, that and the "no swordies!" sentiment caused by FE's overreliance on lords with swords getting in. At least Ys VIII has decent presence right now, alongside Cold Steel.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Doesn't help that Falcom is under the radar these days, so it's more accurate that people don't even know of them. Partly because XSEED took so long thoroughly translating Trails in the Sky entries...

Well, that and the "no swordies!" sentiment caused by FE's overreliance on lords with swords getting in. At least Ys VIII has decent presence right now, alongside Cold Steel.
Let's hope Ys IX's localization is next year ontop of that all.

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
I know alot of people are gonna complain saying adol is just another swordsman but the new ys game,ys ix monstrum nox shows that adol can summon a demon arm at will and he can use that more than his sword

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I was thinking that, perhaps another possible stage could be based on the Goddesses' Palace from Y's II. The palace sits atop the land of Y's, which itself is a floating piece of land above Esteria. Perhaps based around the balcony area of the Palace so that one could get a view of part of Y's (the land I mean). Either way, both Darm Tower and the Goddesses' Palace would be awesome callbacks to the series' origins.
I was thinking a ys viii stage for gendarme that would be beautiful and give a gaur plains vibe to it

Adolforsmash

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the spam but I got into ys when I was 11 back in 2015 and around that time I was wondering why adol wasn't in ssb4 then when modes came out I around when I was 13 I kept looking every month if there was a adol skin for Roy(main reason why I main roy in ssb4 xD)and so there wasn't any modes for adol so I was sad but aleast I was able to put the gorgeous ys music in ssb4 but I didn't feel fulfilled and now I'm 15 I almost lost hope for adol to join ssbu because of Nintendo choosing dlc until I found out about this post and even seeing people supporting for adol to join even if they never heard of the series bring joy to me and my younger self :)

KatKit

Smash Lord
First, welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you. Next, for future reference, I suggest simply editing your original post (instead of posting multiple times in a row) if you have more to add to it. Also, I haven't played it in a while, but there actually is a mod for Adol in Smash 4. Well, technically it's just his character model with some voice clips pasted over Roy, but it's better than nothing.

I think I was around your age now (roughly 15 or so) back when I first got into Ys. I played a Japanese demo of Ys 7 and I was instantly hooked. Then I played demos of some remakes of the older games. A couple of years later, I ran into Trails in the Sky, recognized the developers and got hooked on that series, too. But I digress... It's crazy to see how much Smash speculation has changed, and yes, it's always nice to run into more Adol supporters online.

Last edited:
Top Bottom