• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
No room for shirtless Adol? Or is it too fanservice-y? :joyful:
Dang, forgot about that one. :eek: Could be an option (for the ladies :shades:).

I was drafting a more uniform potential moveset for Adol, mixing moves and skills learned throughout Y's, and came up with the following:

A = horizontal slash
A, A, A (three hit combo) = horizontal slash, followed by two diagonal slashes
Jab Flurry = Thrust Storm (skill from Y's VIII)
Dash Attack = Running Slash (skill from Y's Seven)
Side Tilt = Sonic Blade (skill from Y's VIII)
Up Tilt = an arc slash above head
Down Tilt = a low horizontal slash
Side Smash = Aura Blade (from Y's VIII), or Power Smash (from Y's Seven)
Up Smash = Arc Blast (from Y's: Memories of Celceta)
Down Smash = Sword Impact (from Y's VIII)
N-Air = similar to the single horizontal slash, and three hit slash combo if pressed consecutively
F-Air = Sky Drive (from Y's VIII)
B-Air = a quick backward shield bash
U-Air = Rising Slash
D-Air = a downward stab
Neutral Special = Explosion (skill from Y's VI; if the opponent is hit with the sword, they'll receive the most damage since the sword will release a wave of fire pillars forward)
Side Special = Lightning (skill from Y's VI; the lightning will home in onto opponents if they're nearby)
Up Special = Maelstrom (skill from Y's VI, although Adol rides the tornado upwards as he spins)
Down Special = Flash Move/Flash Guard. By pressing Down B, Adol can switch between Flash Move, and Flash Guard. These are passive states in which, when Flash Move is in effect, if Adol successfully dodges an attack, his movement speed increases for 5 seconds. Meanwhile, when Flash Guard is in effect, if Adol successfully parries an attack, his attack power increases for 5 seconds.
Grab attack = Adol hits opponents with the rear end of the hilt.
Throws = uh... I'm drawing a blank for these. :confused:
Final Smash = Excel-Calibur (Extra Skill from Y's VIII)

On another note, thinking about the DLC fighters coming after the current Fighters Pass, if they were to pick an Action RPG genre rep, Adol would be the first contender imo. Sure, there are a number of other action RPGs that have released since then but as some surely know, Y's is the OG action rpg series.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Dang, forgot about that one. :eek: Could be an option (for the ladies :shades:).

I was drafting a more uniform potential moveset for Adol, mixing moves and skills learned throughout Y's, and came up with the following:

A = horizontal slash
A, A, A (three hit combo) = horizontal slash, followed by two diagonal slashes
Jab Flurry = Thrust Storm (skill from Y's VIII)
Dash Attack = Running Slash (skill from Y's Seven)
Side Tilt = Sonic Blade (skill from Y's VIII)
Up Tilt = an arc slash above head
Down Tilt = a low horizontal slash
Side Smash = Aura Blade (from Y's VIII), or Power Smash (from Y's Seven)
Up Smash = Arc Blast (from Y's: Memories of Celceta)
Down Smash = Sword Impact (from Y's VIII)
N-Air = similar to the single horizontal slash, and three hit slash combo if pressed consecutively
F-Air = Sky Drive (from Y's VIII)
B-Air = a quick backward shield bash
U-Air = Rising Slash
D-Air = a downward stab
Neutral Special = Explosion (skill from Y's VI; if the opponent is hit with the sword, they'll receive the most damage since the sword will release a wave of fire pillars forward)
Side Special = Lightning (skill from Y's VI; the lightning will home in onto opponents if they're nearby)
Up Special = Maelstrom (skill from Y's VI, although Adol rides the tornado upwards as he spins)
Down Special = Flash Move/Flash Guard. By pressing Down B, Adol can switch between Flash Move, and Flash Guard. These are passive states in which, when Flash Move is in effect, if Adol successfully dodges an attack, his movement speed increases for 5 seconds. Meanwhile, when Flash Guard is in effect, if Adol successfully parries an attack, his attack power increases for 5 seconds.
Grab attack = Adol hits opponents with the rear end of the hilt.
Throws = uh... I'm drawing a blank for these. :confused:
Final Smash = Excel-Calibur (Extra Skill from Y's VIII)

On another note, thinking about the DLC fighters coming after the current Fighters Pass, if they were to pick an Action RPG genre rep, Adol would be the first contender imo. Sure, there are a number of other action RPGs that have released since then but as some surely know, Y's is the OG action rpg series.
Another good moveset.

I think for his throws you could have his forward throw be a reference to the bump system, if he doesn't have it. With like a ramming tackle.

His others could be like Ike's some more physical punches and kicks. Unless you'd rather have one be more comedic and somehow implement how he always gets shipwrecked/bed ridden early in most Ys games.

Or make him getting shipwrecked onto the stage be his entrance.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It does kinda suck that I don't know much about adol since I played Ys on switch but that won't stop me from wanting him also new topic what songs would you guys want with him?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
My personal choices would be

This just makes me sad that more of this series isn't on switch but hopefully my jrpg dreams can come true if I get
Adol Ys
Lloyd Tales
Flynn Shin Megami Tensei
And Sora
It's over I'm out of smash speculation I'd be completely satisfied lol also That Ys 3 song is a banger I really gotta check out more of the games

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This just makes me sad that more of this series isn't on switch but hopefully my jrpg dreams can come true if I get
Adol Ys
Lloyd Tales
Flynn Shin Megami Tensei
And Sora
It's over I'm out of smash speculation I'd be completely satisfied lol also That Ys 3 song is a banger I really gotta check out more of the games
At least most of Ys is on Steam! If you have an OK laptop/Computer you can play most of them too. Funny enough Ys 3 got remade into Oath, but I just prefer the original version of that song over it's remix.

Yeah Lloyd, Flynn and Sora would be great.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
At least most of Ys is on Steam! If you have an OK laptop/Computer you can play most of them too. Funny enough Ys 3 got remade into Oath, but I just prefer the original version of that song over it's remix.

Yeah Lloyd, Flynn and Sora would be great.
That's what I hope for but it's just a dream I mean I got terry and I got DQ hero instead of slime so maybe I'll get the rest but the smash community doesn't seem to want more human characters which I find funny to me because I don't care about most 90s mascots the only one left who is important is crash after that no one else really

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
That's what I hope for but it's just a dream I mean I got terry and I got DQ hero instead of slime so maybe I'll get the rest but the smash community doesn't seem to want more human characters which I find funny to me because I don't care about most 90s mascots the only one left who is important is crash after that no one else really
I still have acouple 90's people left i'd like, namely Ryu Hayabusa haha (but you mean animorphic mascots), Terry was huge for me too though.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
80's right, I keep forgetting Ninja Gaiden was like just BARELY before the 90s and i'm a huge fan of them, whoopsies lmao.
don't even worry i barely remembered that fact anyways i only know because he's a NES child so it only made sense that he's 80s

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Oh right, since Kondo mentioned Rean, should I do a write up on him too? Or shall we keep this thread mostly focused on Adol?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Then I guess i'll start working on that :p haha.

Also just so you have something to do, how did you get into Ys? (anyone else can answer this too).
I started last year with Ys VIII I had it on ps4 and I loved it but then the Nintendo direct mini came and I stopped playing on ps4 and went to switch because I already love the game and it's music plus I can take it with me I want to play more of the series but I kinda want to wait until they port them on switch since I know it'll happen eventually it's just a painful waiting process that's also when I wanted him to join but I just never thought it could happen but when I saw Joker I realized it can happen plus I just want all the big JRPGs together now Ys isn't super big but it still deserves respect heck Adol is about the same age as Link Series existing wise, not in-game but I just want my dream of JRPG crossover SMT, Ys, Tales, KH and I'll be super happy (as playable characters no miis)

Calane

Smash Ace
It does kinda suck that I don't know much about adol since I played Ys on switch but that won't stop me from wanting him also new topic what songs would you guys want with him?
I'm not sure how likely it would be to show up, but I'd love to hear "Ruins of Moondoria" in Smash.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'm not sure how likely it would be to show up, but I'd love to hear "Ruins of Moondoria" in Smash.

Honestly if ys were to get in I bet I would be like konami and they just hand the tracks out like candy

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Falcom JDK band are just too good. Most of all of the Y's music (if not all) just slaps REAL HARD. :shades: As for how I got to know the series, whew! I'll admit though, it wasn't until mid-way through college that one day, a classmate who was also into games showed me a video of Y's Seven. When I saw the gameplay (vs. Kava Kelos boss) I was blown away! The music, the fast-paced gameplay, switching characters on the fly! Sometime afterwards when I looked up the series in Steam (when they started porting them), I began purchasing them as they released. The first one I got was Oath in Felghana and since then, I've become a fan of the series. I've played through most of the games (with exception of the fabled Y's V :( ; Falcom pls localize it or remake it one day). Pretty much all of them I got them through Steam, and Y's VIII on the Switch. I will add too that, XSEED always delivers when they localize Y's. I hope Falcom gets them to localize Y's IX in the near future.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
one thing that has me worried i guess is what would adol add too the roster that no other character could add or could he just get in because of who he is

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
one thing that has me worried i guess is what would adol add too the roster that no other character could add or could he just get in because of who he is
Well, besides the history the Y's series has had in gaming (despite perhaps being considered a niche game), Adol could bring the Flash Move/Flash Guard mechanic from his later games (Y's Seven, Memories of Celceta, Y's VIII). If implemented as his Down B command, it would be unique in the sense that it's not a counter, but more like a passive skill activator (with switching from passive by pressing Down B again). Flash Move would increase Adol's movement if he successfully dodges an opponent's attack, while Flash Guard would increase Adol's attack if he successfully parries an attack. This mechanic would also incentivize players to actually improve their evading/parrying game, and pretty much would give players the option of having varied playstyles with the character (some preferring to keep Flash Move, while others Flash Guard).

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
Well, besides the history the Y's series has had in gaming (despite perhaps being considered a niche game), Adol could bring the Flash Move/Flash Guard mechanic from his later games (Y's Seven, Memories of Celceta, Y's VIII). If implemented as his Down B command, it would be unique in the sense that it's not a counter, but more like a passive skill activator (with switching from passive by pressing Down B again). Flash Move would increase Adol's movement if he successfully dodges an opponent's attack, while Flash Guard would increase Adol's attack if he successfully parries an attack. This mechanic would also incentivize players to actually improve their evading/parrying game, and pretty much would give players the option of having varied playstyles with the character (some preferring to keep Flash Move, while others Flash Guard).
That would give people a reason to play more risky, and it offers a nice mix up where it's risky to go for defensive options over and over because of predictability, but at the same time you can chose not to go for the defense and attack when a roll/spot dodge or parry is expected.

As far as music goes, there's honestly too many good tracks in the Ys series. I'd hope for something similar to what they did with castlevania and just put a ton of tracks in with some new remixes.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i don't know where this doubt came from mostly my moto is if they look cool they should get in and it's gotten me this far so i guess i gotta keep it up Hero and Terry how about Adol too

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, I was thinking that, perhaps another possible stage could be based on the Goddesses' Palace from Y's II. The palace sits atop the land of Y's, which itself is a floating piece of land above Esteria. Perhaps based around the balcony area of the Palace so that one could get a view of part of Y's (the land I mean). Either way, both Darm Tower and the Goddesses' Palace would be awesome callbacks to the series' origins.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Hmm, I was thinking that, perhaps another possible stage could be based on the Goddesses' Palace from Y's II. The palace sits atop the land of Y's, which itself is a floating piece of land above Esteria. Perhaps based around the balcony area of the Palace so that one could get a view of part of Y's (the land I mean). Either way, both Darm Tower and the Goddesses' Palace would be awesome callbacks to the series' origins.
If they wanted something super trippy they could also always do the Dark Fact battle as Adol's stage although that'd just be another Final Destination lmao.

Falcom JDK band are just too good. Most of all of the Y's music (if not all) just slaps REAL HARD. :shades: As for how I got to know the series, whew! I'll admit though, it wasn't until mid-way through college that one day, a classmate who was also into games showed me a video of Y's Seven. When I saw the gameplay (vs. Kava Kelos boss) I was blown away! The music, the fast-paced gameplay, switching characters on the fly! Sometime afterwards when I looked up the series in Steam (when they started porting them), I began purchasing them as they released. The first one I got was Oath in Felghana and since then, I've become a fan of the series. I've played through most of the games (with exception of the fabled Y's V :( ; Falcom pls localize it or remake it one day). Pretty much all of them I got them through Steam, and Y's VIII on the Switch. I will add too that, XSEED always delivers when they localize Y's. I hope Falcom gets them to localize Y's IX in the near future.
Nah Xseed lost all the people who really cared about the Falcom stuff in their squad, that's part of the reason NISA got those very same people for the Cold Steel 3 localization, I think NISA is who is gonna continue getting Falcom stuff. While getting all those folks who basically became freelancers.

(Also the Rean post is still coming but I gotta work on it fully and edit the op when I finally finish it).

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
If they wanted something super trippy they could also always do the Dark Fact battle as Adol's stage although that'd just be another Final Destination lmao.

Nah Xseed lost all the people who really cared about the Falcom stuff in their squad, that's part of the reason NISA got those very same people for the Cold Steel 3 localization, I think NISA is who is gonna continue getting Falcom stuff. While getting all those folks who basically became freelancers.

(Also the Rean post is still coming but I gotta work on it fully and edit the op when I finally finish it).
Do you think adol can get in on his own merits or do you think he needs a gimmick

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Here are some vids to get an idea of Y's history (at least in terms of games released), and fans of the series.

In regards to lore, here's a video of the Y's game openings (in canonical order).

And for more info on the series, check out the Digital Emelas site. :)

KatKit

Smash Lord
If they can slip in a Trails/Kiseki song (this is a general Falcom support thread after all), I hope it's Enormous Inner Strength.

Although I'll take Unfathomed Force and any version of Get Over the Barrier, too.

And on the topic of Adol, I think they're obligated to give him Dogi and Geis themed palette swaps.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Trails would probably get Silver Will too, so many good tracks in the franchise, I can link some of my favorites when I do the Rean write up.

Also we can have some cameo tracks from like Tokyo Xanadu which also has a spectacular ost. The Brandish games, Popful Mail etc.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I feel like the hero Adol has supporters out there but are pretty silent

Top Bottom