• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I finally got around to playing the game, but what's the difference between Chronicles (2009) and Complete (2001) game modes? The game doesn't give me any information.

Edit: nevermind, apparently it just changes the portraits and stuff.

Edit 2: If I drink the bestiary potion, does it refill ever, or will I have just wasted it?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I finally got around to playing the game, but what's the difference between Chronicles (2009) and Complete (2001) game modes? The game doesn't give me any information.

Edit: nevermind, apparently it just changes the portraits and stuff.

Edit 2: If I drink the bestiary potion, does it refill ever, or will I have just wasted it?
If I remember correctly, the Bestiary Potion is a one-use, infinite-effect sort of thing. Use it, and you get to see the stats and descriptions of all enemies after killing them enough.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
If I remember correctly, the Bestiary Potion is a one-use, infinite-effect sort of thing. Use it, and you get to see the stats and descriptions of all enemies after killing them enough.
I guess there's no reason not to use it then huh. Thanks.

Also, I've read that there are only 10 levels, but I'm level 5 after the first boss. Am I ridiculously overlevelled? (I also can't work out how to even use the potion, I can equip it but that doesn't seem to do anything).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I guess there's no reason not to use it then huh. Thanks.

Also, I've read that there are only 10 levels, but I'm level 5 after the first boss. Am I ridiculously overlevelled? (I also can't work out how to even use the potion, I can equip it but that doesn't seem to do anything).
Given how vicious some of the bosses can get, I'd say the more levels, the better. Either way enemies start giving less EXP as the level gap between you and them widens, so at a certain point it should all balance out.

If I remember correctly, there's a specific key you need to press to actually use an item. It's been a while since I've played it, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the letter keys on the left like most computer games. Something like Z, or X, or C.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Given how vicious some of the bosses can get, I'd say the more levels, the better. Either way enemies start giving less EXP as the level gap between you and them widens, so at a certain point it should all balance out.

If I remember correctly, there's a specific key you need to press to actually use an item. It's been a while since I've played it, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the letter keys on the left like most computer games. Something like Z, or X, or C.
I'll try those keys then, thanks. Although, I'm using a controller and none of the keys seem to do anything, but it might be something obscure I didn't think to try like the totouchpad. It was R2 to change the display on the notes page, so it doesn't need to make that much sense I guess.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'll try those keys then, thanks. Although, I'm using a controller and none of the keys seem to do anything, but it might be something obscure I didn't think to try like the totouchpad. It was R2 to change the display on the notes page, so it doesn't need to make that much sense I guess.
Ah, not sure if the controller turns off the keyboard or now. I played Chronicles with the keyboard, partially because I didn't have a controller at the time and because it was the only one you could really play without a controller. Still, my personal recommendation would be to try everything, including the offbeat stuff like clicking the analog sticks and start keys and the like.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Ah, not sure if the controller turns off the keyboard or now. I played Chronicles with the keyboard, partially because I didn't have a controller at the time and because it was the only one you could really play without a controller. Still, my personal recommendation would be to try everything, including the offbeat stuff like clicking the analog sticks and start keys and the like.
I'm pretty sure the keyboard works still, I think I pressed s to change displays on the notes screen when I couldn't work out how to do it on controller.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I tried to use it on the menu. I hadn't realised you equipped it then used it in the overworld. The button was just square.

Edit, but again: I beat the game, and honestly, I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting. Once the combat clicked it felt really satisfying to fight enemies, and the music was amazing.

The bosses weren't too hard for the most part. The first boss took a few tries, but he was easy once I had a strategy.

The bat guy was nowhere near as difficult as I'd heard, I took him down on my third attempt after working out that standing in a corner would lure the bats to you in an easily avoidable cluster.

The only bosses I had any real difficulty with were the guy who span around and shot bullets and the final boss.

For the spinny rock guy I kept taking way too much damage while trying to avoid stuff, so I just ran around inside the boss and he died.

The final boss was a pain though. I wasn't really expecting the game to become a bullet hell, but it definitely did. I kept getting trapped in tiny spaces which killed a few runs that were going well. I was one hit away on one attempt and then got instakilled.

1626712732278.png

I beat him by running along the path I thought he was going to move and dealt multiple hits in quick succession, and that killed him pretty quickly.

So yeah, thanks for getting me to try out the series, I really enjoyed the first game and I'm looking forward to playing the rest.

Also, I absolutely want Adol in smash just for the music now. It's so good.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Finally got Ys IX a couple days ago and I'm loving it so far.

Compared to VIII's more metroidvania-esque style, it feels more like an open-world game (Or at least, what I presume an open-world game would be like); The emphasis is less on combat and filling out the map and more on the movement options and searching the buildings of Balduq for secrets. While I kinda prefer the map-filling emphasis - And the more prominent music, as Ys IX's exploration often has more atmospheric tracks - It's still immense fun being able to run around and zip across the map with the Monstrum Gifts. It's especially nice because Ys VIII's Adventuring Gear was limited to slots, while Ys IX's Gifts and double jump are always available once you get the corresponding Monstrum.

Since you're in a populated city and not a deserted island, Ys IX trades in the fishing minigame and the castaways in favor of graffiti messages and Azure Petals. I kinda miss seeing all the different fish species, but I can see why that might be an issue in a bustling city. On the bright side, you can also transform into a Monstrum in public despite them being considered outlaws and run into people while you're dashing around, which is an endless source of laughs. The Beast Raids and Hunts are turned into the Grimwald Nox events, which gate progression with magic barriers and require you to fill up the gauge to play them. That being said, if you're like me and you complete all the sidequests while beating up any enemies you find, it's not at all intrusive. Though, as mentioned below, it feels like the combat just blazes by compared to Ys VIII.

Combat kinda takes a backseat here in favor of the exploration. In Balduq, it's limited to little pockets, and so the bulk of the action is limited to the dungeons. Generally you're spending more time in the city than the dungeons, but the Gifts are just so free so it's kinda hard to notice. That said, it feels like the enemies in IX are noticeably less tanky than in VIII, and the Skills require a lot more SP, but they also feel a fair bit stronger as well. Overall, you're just gonna be exploring a lot more than you're gonna be fighting. It's kind of a shame, but given that feeling of freedom and power the Monstrum powers give you, it's far from a deal-breaker.

The writing and cutscenes feel more engaging than VIII's. Maybe it's the increased interactions that come from being in the city and not a deserted island. Or maybe it's just the comedy of Hawk's unrepentant sociopathic antics and everyone's reactions to them. It's especially funny if you get his voice clip ("Who gives a crap?") when finding a landmark... Such as, y'know, Memorial Tree. Perfectly-timed voice clips aside, the cutscenes feel a lot less stiff and reliant on just talking with occasional movements. Movements are more dynamic and consistent, and in chapter three we actually get a quick but pretty well-done fight scene. Overall, the story just grabs me more.

The music feels like a notable downgrade. Not that it's bad, but the tunes don't really jump out as much. Granted, the overworld is mostly just ambient tunes since there isn't much fighting, but still. Apparently Falcom's recent music is a big source or debate in the fandom, Singa's compositions especially. I'm not that upset about it, but yeah, comparing the old songs to what we have now I feel like modern Falcom's guitars are a bit off. It's kinda tricky to describe it, but they sound a bit rougher, less clean, more obviously synthesized. Again, not that I dislike the newer songs, but the mid-2000's/early 2010's just have a crisper, cleaner sound to them overall.
That said, even if I feel Ys IX has one of the weaker soundtracks compared to Ys' history, there's definitely some bangers in here. Sticking to just the songs I've gotten to (Midway through chapter four, for context)...

And that's my thoughts so far. I'll start adding more as I go on (Maybe).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Just found this

Kinda interesting I think. I didn't know about this, I was aware of that Ys VI online game but not this

ZelDan

Smash Master
Never thought about Ys going to mobile. I'm not a mobile gamer myself though so I have no interest in YS VIII mobile; I've already beat the game on Steam anyway, and while the mobile game looks different I'm assuming it's still going to be the same story\adventure, though perhaps told differently?

While this thread is up on the front page. I guess now is as good a time as any to say that I am near the end of Ys IX. Overall I really like the game. The monstrum abilities and the ways they allow you to explore the world and climb/reach different areas or allow for some more vertical exploration is really cool and fun; I think exploring Balduq and its surrounding areas is the most fun I've had doing exploration in a Ys game. The combat is fun as always, and being able to warp to enemies is kinda neat.

Storywise its been nice too. I do love all the references it makes to past Ys titles, and the twist near the end of the game, while I wasn't ENTIRELY surprised by it, was still neat with all the specifics and stuff I didn't guess or see coming myself. Ys IX probably has the most interesting cast of playable characters in the series for me.

So yeah, Ys IX may be my favorite in the series so far...maybe. It could just be recency bias talking or it being more fresh in my mind though.

As for things I'm maybe less crazy about. well, the only thing that comes to mind is raids. I didn't care much for them in Ys VIII, but in Ys IX, I don't know, they feel way more chaotic to me (don't know if others felt the same way?). I also am not really a fan of those raids where you have to break a bunch of those crystals. On the flipside though the ranking system seems way more generous; of all the raids I've done I've only not acquired an S ranking on 2 of them, with the 2 I didn't both being A ranks.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah raids in Ys VIII were cool for a while but at a certain point I kinda lost interest in these, but with the combat being really fun that didn't matter much so I ended doing the majority of raids lol

I haven't bought Ys IX yet, I have a few games to play first, including Ys Origin, but I liked the demo of IX so I'm excited for it.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, I've just finished Ys Origin, all 3 routes.

Great and very fun game. The order I did was Yunica, Hugo, and then the third character. Definitely worth it, even if all 3 routes share quite a lot of things the game was still fun to play. Each character having a different playstyle helps, and well, each one has their own story so it's not always the same. Also a few different bosses and some variations here and there.

The third route definitely felt like the most complete to me, to put it in a way. It was also my favorite one.

A good evolution of the Ark of Napisthim gameplay style. Story wise the game is very cool, has a nice cast of characters and how it ties to the rest of the series is very appreciated. The Ys I and II nods are particularly quite cool.

Music of course was very good overall, with maybe some weaker tracks here and there but that's it.

This track is so hype:

Other songs I loved:

I know the last one technically originated in Ys I, but I personally prefer this version.

I also really liked other tracks such as Water Prison, Silent Desert and of course, Scar of the Diving Wings.

So, totally worth to play. I'm still not sure how I'd rank Ys Origin within the series, but it is definitely a great action RPG with quite the content if you add the Boss Rush (which I've already completed in easy and normal, now I'll try it on hard) and Arena Mode, which afaik I think this is the only game in the series to have such a mode.

Now I only have Memories of Celceta and Ys IX left to play. And well, Ys V, though I assume Falcom will remake that one soon.

VENA SERA 33

Smash Rookie
I started the Ys series earlier this year and have to admit that the entire franchise is a diamond in the rough. I couldn't believe how old some of the games were and how I never heard of them till this year by chance when browsing for new games to play. I have played all of them up to Ys Seven (current playthrough) now and can't wait to sink hours into Monstrum Nox. If Adol isn't CP11 (his chances are low imo), he definitely deserves a look in the next Smash just based on legacy alone. The thought of his spirit events, music, stage, and moveset possibilities is endless. Huge fan of the series now and will play any new entry going forward. Here's to the final presentation tomorrow!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I started the Ys series earlier this year and have to admit that the entire franchise is a diamond in the rough. I couldn't believe how old some of the games were and how I never heard of them till this year by chance when browsing for new games to play. I have played all of them up to Ys Seven (current playthrough) now and can't wait to sink hours into Monstrum Nox. If Adol isn't CP11 (his chances are low imo), he definitely deserves a look in the next Smash just based on legacy alone. The thought of his spirit events, music, stage, and moveset possibilities is endless. Huge fan of the series now and will play any new entry going forward. Here's to the final presentation tomorrow!
That's cool to hear. I feel similar to you, I think it's a very underrated series. The series (and well, Falcom stuff in general) deserves more acknowledgment. Hope you enjoy Ys Seven and the rest of the series!

I still have to play Ys IX and Memories of Celceta, so I still have some good Ys left. Curious to see what they will do for the next game. Remake of V? Ys X?

VENA SERA 33

Smash Rookie
That's cool to hear. I feel similar to you, I think it's a very underrated series. The series (and well, Falcom stuff in general) deserves more acknowledgment. Hope you enjoy Ys Seven and the rest of the series!

I still have to play Ys IX and Memories of Celceta, so I still have some good Ys left. Curious to see what they will do for the next game. Remake of V? Ys X?
Thanks! I have played the games in the story order btw, which when I first started the series, was a little weird at first given their numbering lol. Memories of Celceta is right behind Lacrimosa for me as far as my favorites. I am praying on a Ys V remake in the vein of what Celceta and Felghana were to IV and III.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welcome to the club! Ys is a great series I only found out about... Not that recently, actually; I heard it tossed around as a potential darkhorse pick and so I asked about it, and once I heard the music I was hooked. Ys VIII was actually really close to what I had in mind for a game, what with the 3D metroidvania-style exploration and shoulder button-based skills. The simplicity and openness of the series' formula means it's extremely easy to just plop down a game and have Adol do whatever over there.

I've played all the games in the series in the "modern" era of Falcom (Re: Everything released after Ark of Napishtim) sans Ys Seven and Memories of Celceta, which my sub-potato laptop unfortunately can't run. They're all quite fun, with my favorites being Ys VIII and Oath in Felghana. Even if it's not likely that Adol gets in Smash, my introduction to the series is one of the highlights of SmashBoards' impact on me.

VENA SERA 33

Smash Rookie
Lacrimosa of Dana I think won’t be topped for me. I wasn’t expecting much out of that entry for whatever reason, but WOW did it exceed any expectations I had for it. One of my all-time favorite games for sure.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Finished Ys IX 3 months ago and ended up linking it more than VIII, so much I uploaded several songs to my Smash and posted on my Youtube Channel.

Should've posted this much sooner but Trails of Cold Steel took all my free time (worth it, though lol). But now that I finished all four games, I can post its songs too:

More to come on the next few days :)

Top Bottom