• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adol Christin's Journey Towards Smash (Cold Steel 3 on Switch!?)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Now I bet quite a number of folks are going to ask "who the hell is Adol Christin" I have the answers for you.

Nihon Falcom is a long standing video game company in Japan and they've had quite the staying power, while not being exactly in the spotlight they've been around since 1981, and are widely credited in Japan to being the progenitors of the Action RPG (through games like Ys).

Their most known franchises are Ys (which Adol is from) and The Legend of Heroes, which is currently in a a current subseries called the Kiseki or Trails franchise which is a set of interconnected JRPGs which span currently 9 games (Trails in the Sky 1 through 3, Zero no Kiseki, Ao No Kiseki and the 4 Trails of Cold Steel titles with a 5th on the way).

Ys stars Adol Christin,

Adol_Christin.jpg

A red haired wandering adventurer who ends up finding trouble whenever he goes, there are currently 8 numbered Ys titles with the 9th on the way and several remakes of their games. The original two Ys games, were the first action rpgs basically on the market back in 1987 and 89. Using an interesting but slightly archaic system called "The Bump System" where running into enemies head on would hurt you and your enemies but running at their sides or backs would do full damage to just them (this is the only method of using your sword in these old games before they became proper hack n slash like titles). We'll get back to this system in time. He also had some minor skill with magic but he had to wield it through artifacts or staves to properly use. Some examples can be seen here though

Adol is also one of gamings first and still silent protagonists, but even with that he has a sense of great justice and loves adventure so much that he tends to ditch places on whim, to the point that the fandom jokes that he has no lover just adventure. The games explain his silence in-universe by the justification that he's telling stories from his journals.

The games span tons of consoles, although they tend to favor Sony ones and PC (Along with the old TG-16). He has a few Nintendo appearances and the Switch version of Ys 8 actually did do alright after the patches to fix it up.

Ys 8 I can show off some of my own gameplay to show how the series has evolved since the old days as well.

The games inbetween tend to be more top down like older Zelda, but with much more of a focus on combat, Ys is also very fast, and known for it's hard bosses (these two i'm showing here aren't good examples of that but more the crisp 8 gameplay).

Falcom also has an amazing track record for music through their JDK Band https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7eke4JGlbtc11_6mmA7ew most of all their games soundtracks can be found here.

Now why Adol? He seems like just another swordie I hear you typing or thinking! Well honestly keep with me here but I have a rather unique concept, and it's based on Adol being particularly good at shield damage in particular.

I propose that Adol would be focused on doing quick strikes that did heavy shield damage, along with having his ye old bump system mechanic noted earlier in this thread. Adol running into you could be pressure by itself, as a unique mechanic not super damaging but enough to be a threat if you just tried to tank it with your shield, and seeing as Sakurai is very attentive to 3rd parties in that sense. I wouldn't see it as an impossibility either. However I don't know how they'd properly balance this on the other hand. Unless they just made the bump an attack instead of being a passive effect, but basically my thought is Adol could be a character focused on getting shields broken, instead of just having a one off move like say Marth or Bowser have to break shields instantly, it'd be Adol's forte to bust shields and clean up from there. His moves by themselves would do weaker damage to people on average but their shield damage would be higher basically. This would be to show how he tears bosses apart piece by piece with knowledge and striking weak points. He'd likely have his magic from Ys 2 and Oath in Felgana to an extent, but those spells are less offensive like blasts (besides the basic fireball he can have) and more things that just enhance his sword stuff, like wind magic that makes him spin like Link but also keeps him suspended in the air for awhile. (A possible side b option as he has some methods of recovery for an Up B).

I also think Ys could potentially be worthy in Sakurai's eyes due just to it's sheer legacy and being the progenitor of the Action RPG, ontop of our last revealed character being Terry Bogard, who in comparison to the other 3rd parties so far is niche (in comparison anyways, he still has a vast history that us here in America don't seem to want to acknowledge but the Smash fandom is overall young so I guess it's understandable).

Sakurai has mentioned the games, albeit briefly since he's a collector he has the first two games, although besides that I have no knowledge of his opinions or thoughts on the series.

As for a proper moveset, I'd have to scan over all the games once more before making anything concrete, I just love Falcom and I'd love for them to get some kind of representation in Smash seeing as they're finally getting some attention outside of Japan/Korea/China. Maybe it'd convince them to allow us to have their gacha too lmao.

Stage possibilities.

Darm Tower from Ys 1

Ys_Chronicles_Darm_Tower.jpg

Aegias from Ys 8

3287376-ysviii-3.png

Are the two locations that come to mind first.

Also an edit: I see there was an Adol thread made but however it's kind of dead so I figured i'd bring this to light again.

Moveset Ideas from YsDisciple

Bump system (Y's I & II): As it is mentioned in the first post of this thread, the first two entries in the Ys series incorporated a bump mechanic which is as Jedi described. Although this mechanic is rather simplistic, making Adol's playstyle revolve heavily around this mechanic, and emphasizing his attacks into prioritizing shield damage would put him at a disadvantage such as, not having "kill-option" moves, or moves that may deal good damage (%), or have good launch distance. Also, the possible feature of Adol simply dashing towards opponents and inflicting shield damage by just running up to shielding opponents would require balancing so not to make the feature too overpowered. Then again, say for example Adol's attacks, in general deal average damage (%), and perhaps two smash attacks, and give or take one or two specials have decent launch distance; the shield damage feature consisting of him running through opponents could play in his favor if for each time he runs through a shielding opponent, the shield receives a small portion of damage.

Traditional hack & slash [Y's: Oath in Felghana (III), Y's: The Ark of Napishtim (VI)]: In these games, the playstyle now allows for Adol to actually use his sword by slashing at opponents. However, in addition to that, Adol collects a number of artifacts which grant him special abilities which, if incorporated into a potential play style in Smash, would make him quite versatile (although this style would be rather similar to Hero's).

>>>The Elemental Bracelets (Oath in Felghana): Adol acquires three elemental bracelets; each granting him different abilities which broaden his movement and attack options.
Ignis Bracelet: This bracelet allows for Adol to shoot Fireballs. Upon fully upgrading the bracelet, the size of the projectile increases (this would be very similar to Hero's Neutral B).
Ventus Bracelet: This bracelet allows for Adol to imbue his sword with wind, making him do a spin attack which gives him lateral aerial movement (could serve as his Up B).
Terra Bracelet: This bracelet allows for Adol to perform a charging attack towards opponents (an energized tackle of sorts). This could translate into Smash as Adol's Side B, with the added feature of high shield damage.

>>>The three Emelas Swords (The Ark of Napishtim): Throughout Y's VI, Adol comes into possession of three swords, each crafted of a different emelas (emelas are like an ancient elemental material within the early Ys lore; there are five different emelas colors).
Livart Sword: This sword is the blue emelas sword, and is wind element. In the game Adol can perform the Maelstrom skill, which is similar to the Ventus' Bracelets sword spin (again, could serve as Adol's Up B).
Brillante Sword: A red emelas greatsword; it is fire element, and with it Adol performs the Explosion skill. This skill has Adol slam the blade to the ground, creating a wave of fire that runs forth through the ground. This could be Adol's Neutral B as it would be similar to Ike's Aether, only that it has range.
Ericcil Sword: A gold emelas rapier; it is thunder element and with it Adol can cast Lightning. This skill has Adol cast a lighting bolt which homes in on the nearest target, ricocheting towards other nearby targets. Could be assigned to Side B.

With regard to the skills from Ys VI, since Adol casts them using three different swords, this playstyle could make him a unique swordfighter (giving him three different swords to fight with). However, it could pose a problem because, in the case for normal attacks (tilts, smash attacks), which of the three swords would he be using? Unless they assign a basic sword for his normal attacks, and only have him use the emelas swords for his specials.

Hack & Slash + Skill Combos (Y's Seven; Y's IV: Memories of Celceta; Y's VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana): These are the three most modern Ys games within the series (with Ys IX: Monstrum Nox soon coming out... yet no plans for localization to the west :(). In these games, Adol and co. learn skills as they level up, and said skills can be leveled up by using them in battle. As a point of reference, think of the Tales of series (Tales of Symphonia) and how each character learns skills. Something like that. Also one can assign four skills for each character to use during battle (since each learn quite a number of skills). Due to the variety of skills, some could be incorporated as normal attacks (smash, tilt, aerial attacks), and in these games, characters also have what are called Extra Skills, which are their strongest skills, and would be the equivalent to Adol's Final Smash (since for the most part, in the three games Adol's Extra Skill is quite similar). What's cool about these skills is that, each skill is given a grade for three distinct properties; these being Impact, Stun, and Break. This could make the incorporation of each skill easier to Adol's moveset. For example, using Y's VIII's skills, Adol could have the following specials:

Neutral B = Arc Shot or Aura Blade: Arc Shot has Adol launching a slicing wind wave from his blade, acting as a quick projectile. Aura Blade on the other hand has Adol's sword imbued with aura, while he slashes forward, covering a rather wide range (arc shape from his back, to the front).
Side B = Blade Rush or Brave Charge: Blade Rush has Adol perform a three hit combo, which ends in an upward slash that releases a pillar of energy in front of him. Brave Charge has Adol dash forward and immediately perform a horizontal slash.
Up B = Rising Slash or Aerial Spin: Rising Slash would be something akin to Marth/Lucina's Up B, while Aerial Spin would be similar to Link's.
Down B = Sword Impact: this skill has Adol strike the ground with his sword, causing a shockwave that damages opponents nearby (as a somewhat of a mid-range reach).

With this playstyle, his moveset could seem similar to the other swordfighters in the roster but, if some features of the other playstyles in the series can be successfully integrated, he could stand out as a unique character.
Stock Icon, Series Icon mock up by https://twitter.com/Fire_Voyager

EGOOa04X0AQERyM.png

xUMwDNZ.png

Possible alt colors for Adol thanks to https://twitter.com/__Bianconiglio

Adol Smash Color Alts.png

Edit: Rean now with a write up of sorts

Also it's time for the Rean Schwarzer write up, because Kondo mentioned him and all.

Rean Schwarzer.png

Rean Schwarzer is the 4th protagonist of the Trails/Kiseki series which are really massive JRPGs all of which are interconnected, and stars in all 4 Trails of Cold Steel games, he wields a Tachi, he's kind, honest and hard working, searching for a purpose in life and often very negative towards himself, which hurts him in some instances. He's also insanely indecisive with his own path and goals. Which leads a number of characters using him for their own benefit, part of his story arc is learning to not be manipulated and to have more confidence in himself. A student at Thors Military Academy in the Erebonian Empire, he eventually becomes an instructor as well.

His fighting style relies on the Eight Leaves One Blade, sword style which in the Trails universe is one of the strongest schools of swordplay, multiple characters over the course of the franchise utilize it, but Rean was the first main character to use it (and a sword at all). Several of the techniques he uses with it, are very eastern style swordsmanship with lots of fire ontop of it, also in Trails' gameplay proper he also delays enemies with how fast his techniques are often skipping opponents turns, allowing others to take their turns sooner.

He has some hidden power as well which turns his hair pure white, the term for this form was Ogre Form/Power, also known as Spirit Unification when the player finally has access to it, it buffs his strength and speed to astronomical heights. (Think almost like a Super Saiyan transformation).

He also is a mecha pilot by the end of Cold Steel 1, piloting the Divine Knight Valimar

Grey_kishin_valimar.jpg

Rean would be Smash's first playable Eastern styled swordsman, a feat that people have been trying to get through some characters like Lyn or Sephiroth. Add ontop of that Rean's cool animations and speed, we'd have ourselves a very cool swordsman to play as. Some examples

Supporters
Jedisupersonic
NoOtherPersona
KatKit
YsDisciple
Simplythe1
Calane
Russell_SSB
Flik
Flowen231
merchantofsalt
slambros
Jrod86259
roydgriffin
Adolforsmash
Coconattsu
Azrethvaloros
****** Master
Starblax

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Now I bet quite a number of folks are going to ask "who the hell is Adol Christin" I have the answers for you.

Nihon Falcom is a long standing video game company in Japan and they've had quite the staying power, while not being exactly in the spotlight they've been around since 1981, and are widely credited in Japan to being the progenitors of the Action RPG (through games like Ys).

Their most known franchises are Ys (which Adol is from) and The Legend of Heroes, which is currently in a a current subseries called the Kiseki or Trails franchise which is a set of interconnected JRPGs which span currently 9 games (Trails in the Sky 1 through 3, Zero no Kiseki, Ao No Kiseki and the 4 Trails of Cold Steel titles with a 5th on the way).

Ys stars Adol Christin,

View attachment 237671

A red haired wandering adventurer who ends up finding trouble whenever he goes, there are currently 8 numbered Ys titles with the 9th on the way and several remakes of their games. The original two Ys games, were the first action rpgs basically on the market back in 1987 and 89. Using an interesting but slightly archaic system called "The Bump System" where running into enemies head on would hurt you and your enemies but running at their sides or backs would do full damage to just them (this is the only method of using your sword in these old games before they became proper hack n slash like titles). We'll get back to this system in time. He also had some minor skill with magic but he had to wield it through artifacts or staves to properly use. Some examples can be seen here though

Adol is also one of gamings first and still silent protagonists, but even with that he has a sense of great justice and loves adventure so much that he tends to ditch places on whim, to the point that the fandom jokes that he has no lover just adventure. The games explain his silence in-universe by the justification that he's telling stories from his journals.

The games span tons of consoles, although they tend to favor Sony ones and PC (Along with the old TG-16). He has a few Nintendo appearances and the Switch version of Ys 8 actually did do alright after the patches to fix it up.

Ys 8 I can show off some of my own gameplay to show how the series has evolved since the old days as well.

The games inbetween tend to be more top down like older Zelda, but with much more of a focus on combat, Ys is also very fast, and known for it's hard bosses (these two i'm showing here aren't good examples of that but more the crisp 8 gameplay).

Falcom also has an amazing track record for music through their JDK Band https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7eke4JGlbtc11_6mmA7ew most of all their games soundtracks can be found here.

Now why Adol? He seems like just another swordie I hear you typing or thinking! Well honestly keep with me here but I have a rather unique concept, and it's based on Adol being particularly good at shield damage in particular.

I propose that Adol would be focused on doing quick strikes that did heavy shield damage, along with having his ye old bump system mechanic noted earlier in this thread. Adol running into you could be pressure by itself, as a unique mechanic not super damaging but enough to be a threat if you just tried to tank it with your shield, and seeing as Sakurai is very attentive to 3rd parties in that sense. I wouldn't see it as an impossibility either. However I don't know how they'd properly balance this on the other hand. Unless they just made the bump an attack instead of being a passive effect, but basically my thought is Adol could be a character focused on getting shields broken, instead of just having a one off move like say Marth or Bowser have to break shields instantly, it'd be Adol's forte to bust shields and clean up from there. His moves by themselves would do weaker damage to people on average but their shield damage would be higher basically. This would be to show how he tears bosses apart piece by piece with knowledge and striking weak points. He'd likely have his magic from Ys 2 and Oath in Felgana to an extent, but those spells are less offensive like blasts (besides the basic fireball he can have) and more things that just enhance his sword stuff, like wind magic that makes him spin like Link but also keeps him suspended in the air for awhile. (A possible side b option as he has some methods of recovery for an Up B).

I also think Ys could potentially be worthy in Sakurai's eyes due just to it's sheer legacy and being the progenitor of the Action RPG, ontop of our last revealed character being Terry Bogard, who in comparison to the other 3rd parties so far is niche (in comparison anyways, he still has a vast history that us here in America don't seem to want to acknowledge but the Smash fandom is overall young so I guess it's understandable).

Sakurai has mentioned the games, albeit briefly since he's a collector he has the first two games, although besides that I have no knowledge of his opinions or thoughts on the series.

As for a proper moveset, I'd have to scan over all the games once more before making anything concrete, I just love Falcom and I'd love for them to get some kind of representation in Smash seeing as they're finally getting some attention outside of Japan/Korea/China. Maybe it'd convince them to allow us to have their gacha too lmao.

Stage possibilities.

Darm Tower from Ys 1

View attachment 237672

Aegias from Ys 8

View attachment 237673

Are the two locations that come to mind first.

Also an edit: I see there was an Adol thread made but however it's kind of dead so I figured i'd bring this to light again.

Supporters
Hey man I'm down for this I want all the Rpg swordsmen from Lloyd to Adol so add me to the list

KatKit

Smash Lord
Nihon Falcom are the OGs when it comes to ARPGs and JRPGs. They also make really fantastic music, so there's that. I think they could use the exposure (and I hope Ys 8 mobile becomes a hit); they've contributed so much to the industry.

Ys and the Trails series are some of the best of their respective subgenre. Trails' story is my favorite in any videogame ever. I've mentioned it before, but at least one game in each arc (Liberl, Crossbell, and Erebonia) brought me to tears. When I was a teen, I literally learned Japanese primarily to play the Crossbell games, haha.

Realistically, we'd get Adol, and I'm fine with that. He has a lot of history with Nintendo, and he's the face of the company and he's awesome. He's not just "some anime swordsman", he's THE swordsman. Adol vs. Link would be dream of mine. Adol has several games worth of source material to make a moveset from.

Although Estelle Bright, Lloyd Bannings, and Rean make-the-panties-drop Schwarzer would be cool, too. Shoot, I'll take Mii costumes of the Kiseki crew. Heck, just give us a couple of songs from both series. I'll take anything lol.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Nihon Falcom are the OGs when it comes to ARPGs and JRPGs. They also make really fantastic music, so there's that. I think they could use the exposure (and I hope Ys 8 mobile becomes a hit); they've contributed so much to the industry.

Ys and the Trails series are some of the best of their respective subgenre. Trails' story is my favorite in any videogame ever. I've mentioned it before, but at least one game in each arc (Liberl, Crossbell, and Erebonia) brought me to tears. When I was a teen, I literally learned Japanese primarily to play the Crossbell games, haha.

Realistically, we'd get Adol, and I'm fine with that. He has a lot of history with Nintendo, and he's the face of the company and he's awesome. He's not just "some anime swordsman", he's THE swordsman. Adol vs. Link would be dream of mine. Adol has several games worth of source material to make a moveset from.

Although Estelle Bright, Lloyd Bannings, and Rean make-the-panties-drop Schwarzer would be cool, too. Shoot, I'll take Mii costumes of the Kiseki crew. Heck, just give us a couple of songs from both series. I'll take anything lol.
Well technically the Dragon Quest boys are THE Swordsmen but then again Adol would be the ARPG Swordsman at least the old school one anyways while Lloyd would be the modern one what I see happening is sakurai puts both in as like how joker is modern jrpgs and hero is old school jrpgs

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Well technically the Dragon Quest boys are THE Swordsmen but then again Adol would be the ARPG Swordsman at least the old school one anyways while Lloyd would be the modern one what I see happening is sakurai puts both in as like how joker is modern jrpgs and hero is old school jrpgs

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Adol would be cool, later down the line. Stylistically and mechanically he's too close to Hero right now.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I was actually researching Kiseki the other day. Apparently the templar sword is a whipsword, but the gameplay videos I found didn't have weapon animations.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
In what way?
Adol's repetoire is basically swordplay and offensive elemental magic. Stylistically you'd end up with an anime-style sword-and-shield RPG protagonist with magic-based specials. Adol could be much more of a rushdown character than Hero is, but I think right now people would perceive him as too repetitive.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Adol's repetoire is basically swordplay and offensive elemental magic. Stylistically you'd end up with an anime-style sword-and-shield RPG protagonist with magic-based specials. Adol could be much more of a rushdown character than Hero is, but I think right now people would perceive him as too repetitive.
I can see your argument, but I think people would complain more about a certain thing regardless.

First, he has a sword period, i'm convinced that even if we got Dante from Devil May Cry people would be whining he was an anime swordsman with no original moves.

I was actually researching Kiseki the other day. Apparently the templar sword is a whipsword, but the gameplay videos I found didn't have weapon animations.
Lemme see if I have a video of Ries using hers or Scarlet.

It should be loaded to when Scarlet uses her S-Craft, the whipswords in Kiseki also can split into little pieces and fly around doing tons of hits as well.

(if you care about spoilers and plan on eventually playing this series don't watch to the end of the video).

I can fire up my copy of Sky 3rd for Ries normal attack animations for the proper normal whip sword stuff in a bit.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I imagine him being able to move around while slashing, similar to Megaman being able to move and shoot pellets. Additionally, if you move and hold down the A button, Adol performs a charged slash attack instead. While charged, instead of walking forward, Adol performs his Quickstep move instead, instantly evading or closing the gap with his opponent.

That alone sets him apart from anyone wielding a melee weapon, but there's quite a bit they can do to make him feel fresh yet true to the character.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I imagine him being able to move around while slashing, similar to Megaman being able to move and shoot pellets. Additionally, if you move and hold down the A button, Adol performs a charged slash attack instead. While charged, instead of walking forward, Adol performs his Quickstep move instead, instantly evading or closing the gap with his opponent.

That alone sets him apart from anyone wielding a melee weapon, but there's quite a bit they can do to make him feel fresh yet true to the character.
This is a good idea, probably beats out me thinking the Bump system would somehow be implemented into his mechanics haha.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I am SO down for Adol joining Ultimate. I've been a fan of the Ys series for years and am quite invested in its lore. The Falcom JDK band has contributed so many awesome osts to the series; seriously there is almost NONE of the games that is lacking of some banger tracks (except perhaps Ys V which has still not been localized).

Now, on the subject of how could Adol be incorporated into Smash Bros. Ultimate in a way that his moveset may be distinctive enough in comparison to the other swordfighters in the game, I would like to first bring up the different playstyles across the series.

Bump system (Y's I & II): As it is mentioned in the first post of this thread, the first two entries in the Ys series incorporated a bump mechanic which is as Jedi described. Although this mechanic is rather simplistic, making Adol's playstyle revolve heavily around this mechanic, and emphasizing his attacks into prioritizing shield damage would put him at a disadvantage such as, not having "kill-option" moves, or moves that may deal good damage (%), or have good launch distance. Also, the possible feature of Adol simply dashing towards opponents and inflicting shield damage by just running up to shielding opponents would require balancing so not to make the feature too overpowered. Then again, say for example Adol's attacks, in general deal average damage (%), and perhaps two smash attacks, and give or take one or two specials have decent launch distance; the shield damage feature consisting of him running through opponents could play in his favor if for each time he runs through a shielding opponent, the shield receives a small portion of damage.

Traditional hack & slash [Y's: Oath in Felghana (III), Y's: The Ark of Napishtim (VI)]: In these games, the playstyle now allows for Adol to actually use his sword by slashing at opponents. However, in addition to that, Adol collects a number of artifacts which grant him special abilities which, if incorporated into a potential play style in Smash, would make him quite versatile (although this style would be rather similar to Hero's).

>>>The Elemental Bracelets (Oath in Felghana): Adol acquires three elemental bracelets; each granting him different abilities which broaden his movement and attack options.
Ignis Bracelet: This bracelet allows for Adol to shoot Fireballs. Upon fully upgrading the bracelet, the size of the projectile increases (this would be very similar to Hero's Neutral B).
Ventus Bracelet: This bracelet allows for Adol to imbue his sword with wind, making him do a spin attack which gives him lateral aerial movement (could serve as his Up B).
Terra Bracelet: This bracelet allows for Adol to perform a charging attack towards opponents (an energized tackle of sorts). This could translate into Smash as Adol's Side B, with the added feature of high shield damage.

>>>The three Emelas Swords (The Ark of Napishtim): Throughout Y's VI, Adol comes into possession of three swords, each crafted of a different emelas (emelas are like an ancient elemental material within the early Ys lore; there are five different emelas colors).
Livart Sword: This sword is the blue emelas sword, and is wind element. In the game Adol can perform the Maelstrom skill, which is similar to the Ventus' Bracelets sword spin (again, could serve as Adol's Up B).
Brillante Sword: A red emelas greatsword; it is fire element, and with it Adol performs the Explosion skill. This skill has Adol slam the blade to the ground, creating a wave of fire that runs forth through the ground. This could be Adol's Neutral B as it would be similar to Ike's Aether, only that it has range.
Ericcil Sword: A gold emelas rapier; it is thunder element and with it Adol can cast Lightning. This skill has Adol cast a lighting bolt which homes in on the nearest target, ricocheting towards other nearby targets. Could be assigned to Side B.

With regard to the skills from Ys VI, since Adol casts them using three different swords, this playstyle could make him a unique swordfighter (giving him three different swords to fight with). However, it could pose a problem because, in the case for normal attacks (tilts, smash attacks), which of the three swords would he be using? Unless they assign a basic sword for his normal attacks, and only have him use the emelas swords for his specials.

Hack & Slash + Skill Combos (Y's Seven; Y's IV: Memories of Celceta; Y's VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana): These are the three most modern Ys games within the series (with Ys IX: Monstrum Nox soon coming out... yet no plans for localization to the west :(). In these games, Adol and co. learn skills as they level up, and said skills can be leveled up by using them in battle. As a point of reference, think of the Tales of series (Tales of Symphonia) and how each character learns skills. Something like that. Also one can assign four skills for each character to use during battle (since each learn quite a number of skills). Due to the variety of skills, some could be incorporated as normal attacks (smash, tilt, aerial attacks), and in these games, characters also have what are called Extra Skills, which are their strongest skills, and would be the equivalent to Adol's Final Smash (since for the most part, in the three games Adol's Extra Skill is quite similar). What's cool about these skills is that, each skill is given a grade for three distinct properties; these being Impact, Stun, and Break. This could make the incorporation of each skill easier to Adol's moveset. For example, using Y's VIII's skills, Adol could have the following specials:

Neutral B = Arc Shot or Aura Blade: Arc Shot has Adol launching a slicing wind wave from his blade, acting as a quick projectile. Aura Blade on the other hand has Adol's sword imbued with aura, while he slashes forward, covering a rather wide range (arc shape from his back, to the front).
Side B = Blade Rush or Brave Charge: Blade Rush has Adol perform a three hit combo, which ends in an upward slash that releases a pillar of energy in front of him. Brave Charge has Adol dash forward and immediately perform a horizontal slash.
Up B = Rising Slash or Aerial Spin: Rising Slash would be something akin to Marth/Lucina's Up B, while Aerial Spin would be similar to Link's.
Down B = Sword Impact: this skill has Adol strike the ground with his sword, causing a shockwave that damages opponents nearby (as a somewhat of a mid-range reach).

With this playstyle, his moveset could seem similar to the other swordfighters in the roster but, if some features of the other playstyles in the series can be successfully integrated, he could stand out as a unique character.

As for a stage that could represent the Y's series, I do agree that Y's I's Darm Tower is a great choice, as it goes back to the series' roots. Darm Tower itself could also be incorporated as a stage in different ways. The stage could be specifically Rado's Annex, which is the half-point of the tower, or it could be a stage which changes environment (similar to Fire Emblem's Castle Siege) 'cause, oh boy; Darm Tower has quite a bit of environments. :shades:

Finally, the music. Oh boy... Ys music is simply glorious. Some tracks they could add for the stage would be the following.

-Genesis Beyond the Beginning (Y's Origin)
-Scars of the Divine Wing (Y's Origin)
-First Step Towards War (Y's I & II)
-Palace of Destruction (Y's I & II)
-Final Battle (Y's I & II)
-To Make the End of Battle (Y's I & II)
-A Premonition =Styx= (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Boy Who Had Wings (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-Illburns Ruins (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Theme of Chester (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-A Searing Struggle (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-Seal of Time (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Strongest Foe (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Foliage Ocean in Celceta (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Burning Sword (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Underground Ruins (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Seeking the Vanished Mask (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Black Wings (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Release of the Far West Ocean (Y's VI)
-Mighty Obstacle (Y's VI)
-Ultramarine Deep (Y's VI)
-The Ruined City of 'Kishgal' (Y's VI)
-Ernst (Y's VI)
-Innocent Primeval Breaker (Y's Seven)
-Desert of Despair (Y's Seven)
-Crossing Rage! (Y's Seven)
-Deadly Temptation (Y's VIII)
-Sunshine Coastline (Y's VIII)
-Gens d'Armes (Y's VIII)
-You'll See Out the End of the Tales (Y's VIII)

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Put me on the list, I'd like to see adol join the fight, I also remember somewhere reading that the president of Falcom would love to see Adol in Smash in an interview

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
What look would you guys want adol to take his classic look or something like 8?

KatKit

Smash Lord
Great post (and fitting username), YsDisciple, but if I may add one track to that list, I think it'd be Vacant Interference.

Now, for those of you unfamiliar with the series, yes, this song was played during the first boss fight of the game.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Put me on the list, I'd like to see adol join the fight, I also remember somewhere reading that the president of Falcom would love to see Adol in Smash in an interview
Adding here shortly!

What look would you guys want adol to take his classic look or something like 8?
I'd like his classic or the Oath in Felghana/SEVEN take on his classic look with the green scarf, but also have his Ys 8 or 9 as an alt costume.

I am SO down for Adol joining Ultimate. I've been a fan of the Ys series for years and am quite invested in its lore. The Falcom JDK band has contributed so many awesome osts to the series; seriously there is almost NONE of the games that is lacking of some banger tracks (except perhaps Ys V which has still not been localized).

Now, on the subject of how could Adol be incorporated into Smash Bros. Ultimate in a way that his moveset may be distinctive enough in comparison to the other swordfighters in the game, I would like to first bring up the different playstyles across the series.

As for a stage that could represent the Y's series, I do agree that Y's I's Darm Tower is a great choice, as it goes back to the series' roots. Darm Tower itself could also be incorporated as a stage in different ways. The stage could be specifically Rado's Annex, which is the half-point of the tower, or it could be a stage which changes environment (similar to Fire Emblem's Castle Siege) 'cause, oh boy; Darm Tower has quite a bit of environments. :shades:

Finally, the music. Oh boy... Ys music is simply glorious. Some tracks they could add for the stage would be the following.

-Genesis Beyond the Beginning (Y's Origin)
-Scars of the Divine Wing (Y's Origin)
-First Step Towards War (Y's I & II)
-Palace of Destruction (Y's I & II)
-Final Battle (Y's I & II)
-To Make the End of Battle (Y's I & II)
-A Premonition =Styx= (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Boy Who Had Wings (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-Illburns Ruins (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Theme of Chester (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-A Searing Struggle (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-Seal of Time (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Strongest Foe (Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-The Foliage Ocean in Celceta (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Burning Sword (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Underground Ruins (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Seeking the Vanished Mask (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Black Wings (Y's: Memories of Celceta)
-Release of the Far West Ocean (Y's VI)
-Mighty Obstacle (Y's VI)
-Ultramarine Deep (Y's VI)
-The Ruined City of 'Kishgal' (Y's VI)
-Ernst (Y's VI)
-Innocent Primeval Breaker (Y's Seven)
-Desert of Despair (Y's Seven)
-Crossing Rage! (Y's Seven)
-Deadly Temptation (Y's VIII)
-Sunshine Coastline (Y's VIII)
-Gens d'Armes (Y's VIII)
-You'll See Out the End of the Tales (Y's VIII)
All of these are excellent playstyle ideas, heck I might add this whole section to the OP, if I may?

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm late to the party, but I'm very happy to see that this thread exists. I'd like to be added to the support list, obviously.

I'm not super good with movesets and whatnot, but I've always been fond of "Sky Drive" being Adol's down-air. It just looks so cool in my mind.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm late to the party, but I'm very happy to see that this thread exists. I'd like to be added to the support list, obviously.

I'm not super good with movesets and whatnot, but I've always been fond of "Sky Drive" being Adol's down-air. It just looks so cool in my mind.
Welcome aboard! Sky Drive would be awesome as a dair, maybe even make it naturally combo from Rising Slash if that were to be one of his aerials too.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Late but I just remembered I had the link to that very interview with Kondo lmao.

https://www.esterior.net/2019/07/anime-expo-2019-an-interview-with-toshihiro-kondo/

EH: Since I loved the Michel response in my previous interview, I wanted to close off with another fun question- have as much fun with it as you want, it’s nothing serious… but if you could have any character in the Falcom library to show up in Smash Bros, who would it be and why?

TK: Having been directly responsible for Ys for a lot of my career, I would love to be able to say Adol… but the truth is, I can’t picture what his moveset would be. So, I think I’ll defer to Rean since he’s a swordsman and I think he’d fit in pretty well.
So that's Adol and Rean as his own main choices. Honestly with Rean's popularity with the Trails base espcially in Japan right now I could see that being plausible if we got a Falcom character.

Maybe I should do a Rean write up too, because I can.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Late but I just remembered I had the link to that very interview with Kondo lmao.

https://www.esterior.net/2019/07/anime-expo-2019-an-interview-with-toshihiro-kondo/

So that's Adol and Rean as his own main choices. Honestly with Rean's popularity with the Trails base espcially in Japan right now I could see that being plausible if we got a Falcom character.

Maybe I should do a Rean write up too, because I can.
Isn't adol also a swordsman that comment confuses me

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
All of these are excellent playstyle ideas, heck I might add this whole section to the OP, if I may?
Of course! By all means. :) Oh, and in regards to the third playstyle (Ys Seven, IV, and VIII), I forgot to add the Flash Move, and Flash Guard mechanics. :awesome: I believe those could truly add to Adol's uniqueness. As to how these two mechanics could be incorporated into his playstyle in Smash, I thought of some possibilities:

1. Flash Move could be activated if Adol successfully spot-dodges, roll-dodges, or air-dodges an opponents attack. Flash Move will come into effect, increasing Adol's movement speed for five seconds. Flash Guard could activate if Adol successfully parries and opponents attack. When Flash Guard is in effect, Adol's attack power increases for five seconds (i.e., all attacks gain Critical Hit for the duration) but do not gain increased launch distance.

2. Both mechanics could be incorporated into a Down B counter, where Flash Move would be triggered with projectiles, while Flash Guard would be triggered with melee attacks.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
In regards to Kondo's response in that interview, I think Sakurai would convince him to allow for Adol to be in Smash IF a Falcom rep were to possibly be in that DLC fighters list. It'd be cool to see some of the other main characters have their own Mii Costumes at least (i.e. Dogi, Estelle, Rean, etc.). As far as Spirits go, I think they'd only go with Y's (again, Dogi, Geis, Reah & Feena, ... actually... all of the Ys waifus :awesome: ).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Isn't adol also a swordsman that comment confuses me
It confuses me too, it has ever since I saw it. Maybe it was just that weirdly worded, but I think he probably meant Rean has more established consistent animations? That's the only way I could see it making sense.

Of course! By all means. :) Oh, and in regards to the third playstyle (Ys Seven, IV, and VIII), I forgot to add the Flash Move, and Flash Guard mechanics. :awesome: I believe those could truly add to Adol's uniqueness. As to how these two mechanics could be incorporated into his playstyle in Smash, I thought of some possibilities:

1. Flash Move could be activated if Adol successfully spot-dodges, roll-dodges, or air-dodges an opponents attack. Flash Move will come into effect, increasing Adol's movement speed for five seconds. Flash Guard could activate if Adol successfully parries and opponents attack. When Flash Guard is in effect, Adol's attack power increases for five seconds (i.e., all attacks gain Critical Hit for the duration) but do not gain increased launch distance.

2. Both mechanics could be incorporated into a Down B counter, where Flash Move would be triggered with projectiles, while Flash Guard would be triggered with melee attacks.
Could work! I'll add it to the OP when I get home from work later. Flash guard if implemented might make people a little salty though haha :p

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Adol is in my top 10 most wanted, I support too!

Also, Ys is (lol) the only series I'd be 100% OK if none of the tracks were new arrangements, because the music is THAT good.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
It confuses me too, it has ever since I saw it. Maybe it was just that weirdly worded, but I think he probably meant Rean has more established consistent animations? That's the only way I could see it making sense.

Could work! I'll add it to the OP when I get home from work later. Flash guard if implemented might make people a little salty though haha :p
Sakurai could make it work so it's all good

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Here's to hoping Falcom announces plans for localizing Y's IX: Monstrum Nox to the west (for Switch too). :(

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
WEYLP Now I feel silly lol. I just made one because I couldn't see one in the directory. I swear it was a zero escape moment.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Hell yes. What list? lol
Oh just the supporters list, haha.

Also I was wondering what folks think Adol's alt colors would be? In Ys 8 for instance he has a green variation on his red in that game, but he'd likely be in his more usual armor in Smash.

Maybe it could be based on some of the various people he knows? Like a Dogi color alt for instance.

Last edited:

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
It may be 3 different variants like cloud.

2 takes on the silver armor, red and green from 8 + blue alt from 8 to round out the 3 team colors, and a 2 take on a different outfit, maybe 7 or monstrum nox if Sakurai is thinking that far ahead.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
In regards to alt skins, I think the following would do:

-Y's Seven (default skin)
-Y's VIII (2nd alt)
-Y's Seven but with blue cloth (armor color could be the same), or Dogi's colors
-Y's VIII but with Geis' colors
-Y's Seven with Emelas Armor color (from Y's VI)
-Y's VIII but with Chester's colors (from Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-Y's Seven but with the Raval Armor's colors (from Y's: Oath in Felghana)
-Y's VIII but with Dark Fact's colors (for an "evil" looking skin... maybe?)

Flik

Smash Journeyman

-Y's VIII (2nd alt)
-Y's Seven but with blue cloth (armor color could be the same), or Dogi's colors
No room for shirtless Adol? Or is it too fanservice-y? :joyful:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

-Y's VIII (2nd alt)
These would work very well, although I talked to a friend of mine who said Adol's alts should be based on all the women he charms over the series lmao.

No room for shirtless Adol? Or is it too fanservice-y? :joyful:
I mean if we got shirtless Shulk surely we could get this :p

Top Bottom