Adeleine, the Miracle Painter for Smash Switch! Star Allies COME THRUUUU

Luminario

Smash Lord
A gifted artist with lively drawings~

Who is Adeleine?
Adeleine, or Ado in Kirby's Dreamland 3, is a main character from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and Kirby's Dreamland 3. She is fought as a boss in both these games, and both her boss fights show off her unique skill: the ability to bring life to her paintings and have them fight on her behalf. She is considered to be the only "human" in the Kirby world.
Here's a compilation of Adeleine's entire history put together by our lovely Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr
Origins:
  • Adeleine (or Ado) first appeared in Kirby's Dreamland 3; she was just a boss, but in the true ending of the game, she had her moment of spotlight: she is represented as the main character, surrounded by every other character from the game, drawing pictures of them in the credits cutscene, and at thend, she's the one writing the "END" text on the screen.

• In Kirby 64 she became a main character, and part of the crew who fought the Dark Matters and saved Ripple Star. She was playable in the minigames, and in the beta of the game she was also planned to be playable in the main story, but the feature was scrapped in the final game.

The Disappearance:
  • Adeleine disappeared from the Kirby series, completely.

• During the development of the Kirby anime, Sakurai said to the staff that he didn't want any human character in the series, many fans think that this is the cause of Adeleine being neglected after Kirby 64.

• Some fans even thought that Adeleine was retconned and she was not canon anymore, along with other characters from the Shimomura directed trilogy (known by the fans as the Dark Matter trilogy).
The Return of Adeleine:
  • In Kirby Triple Deluxe, Adeleine (as Ado) appeared in two rare keychains; she remained unnamed, as one of the keychain represented the Boss Butch mode of Kirby's Dreamland 3, and the other was called "Sweet Stuff Drawing", despite Ado being in the picture.

• The game "Amiibo Tap", a game on WiiU that used the Amiibo statues to unlock demos of Virtual Console games, included Kirby's Dreamland 3, and had a scene dedicated to Ado's bossfight.

• In Kirby Fighters/Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Adeleine's fight theme was used as background music of the ability select screen; in the Deluxe version of the game, it got a small remix while in the Triple Deluxe minigame version it was just a rip of the original; Later, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe used the music from the Adeleine introduction cutscene in the Miiverse and Amiibo screen; there's a rumor that some hackers looked at the title of the music file in those games, and they included the name "Ado K64": this is an unofficial confirmation that Ado and Adeleine are intended to be the same character, if it wasn't already clear enough.

• In Kirby Planet Robobot, Adeleine got a rare sticker; this time, she has got her name as well!

• It's the 25th Anniversary of Kirby, and HAL created a Twitter account to celebrate the birthday of the beloved pink puffball. This is the result:

Adeleine got 2 new official artworks for the first time since Kirby 64.
  • On the day of Kirby's birthday, HAL changed the banner of the anniversary Twitter account and website, and the new banner has Adeleine in it!

• Later, in the same day, they released a 3DS theme with the same picture (Japan and USA only, no Europe sadly); Adeleine is in it!

• HAL announced a Kirby themed multiplayer fighting game for 3DS, to be released this winter. Nothing is known so far, but if fighting game means characters roster, it's possible that Adeleine will get a spot in the game! Let's hope!
What can she do?
As mentioned before, Adeleine can draw any sort of creature and bring it to life. This simple ability clearly sets her up to have a summoner moveset in Smash. Also, with a bit of creative liberty, Adeleine could also represent Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse, due to both games involving a magical paintbrush, which can be implemented as a rainbow line extending from the paintbrush, allowing Adeleine to use it as a whip or tether or a number of different uses I specify in my moveset idea. Similarly to how Metaknight takes inspiration for Sword and Wing Kirby abilities and Dedede from Hammer, Adeleine could also take inspiration from certain Kirby abilities, namely Beam (mostly cause I like it as an ability) or Whip (which I forgot existed during the moveset making process) as her paintbrush and rainbow line can replicate most of those copy abilities attacks pretty well. She could also take inspiration from the Paint Roller boss as he also has the ability to bring drawings to life.
Entrance: A black door frame gets quickly drawn onto the background, as Adeleine steps through it onto the battlefield.

Jab: 2 slaps with the paintbrush. Quick and basic.
Ftilt: Smack forward with the pallet.
Utilt: ZSS old Up B with less range.
Dtilt: Rising swipe with the paintbrush. Good combo starter.
Dash: Does a rainbow line version of the Beam Kirby's Cycle Beam, the dash attack from Team Kirby Clash Deluxe. 3 hits.

Fsmash: Vicious smack to the ground in front with a rainbow line.
Usmash: 3 swipes upwards with the paintbrush.
Dsmash: Whips the rainbow line along the ground around her.

Nair: Spins a rainbow line in a wide arc all around herself. Identical to Beam Kirby's Revolution Beam from Return to Dreamland.
Fair: 2 slaps forward with the paintbrush.
Bair: Smacks behind her with the pallet. Quick but not very powerful.
Uair: Spins the rainbow line above her in a tight spiral. 3 hits.
Dair: Beam Kirby's Beam Blast, the dash jump attack from Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, but with heavy endlag and landing lag to balance it out. Halts momentum in the air, exactly how it does in the game. 5 weak projectiles diagonally downwards in a set spread.

Grab: You know the rhythmic gymnastics with the ribbon where the gymnast spins the rod quickly from above to create a spiral with the ribbon? Just like that. If it grabs someone then a rainbow line surrounds the enemy, connected by the paintbrush. A tether recovery option but range on the grab is pretty basic, being slightly less than Lucas'.
Pummel: The rainbow line constricts.
Fthrow: Spins the opponent around Beyblade style then whacks them away with the paintbrush.
Bthrow: Same as Fthrow but the opponent moves behind her as they spin.
Uthrow: Beam Kirby's Capture Beam attack. 3 projectiles in quick succession in a steep angle diagonally forwards.
Dthrow: She bops the opponent on the head hard with the paintbrush.

B: Canvas. Adeleine summons a canvas as a thought bubble appears beside her (scaled to the size of the screen, so it's always visible). The bubble then cycles through what can be drawn. Pressing B has Adeleine draw the selected summon and it pops out of the canvas when it's done. Cycle can be cancelled and restarted at any time at the same position, but if something is summoned it reverts back to the first summon in the cycle. Only 1 summon onscreen at a time. Summoning something else cancels the previous summon. Here's a list of possible summons.

Bronto Burt: First summon. Flies forward in an upwards arc.
Shotzo: Shoots slow moving cannonballs forwards.
Chilly: Moves forward until an enemy is in range, where it stops for a second then uses its ice attack in a wide range all around it.
Sir Kibble: Throws a cutter blade forwards, jumps over that blade and throws another blade at the apex of the jump. Summon it backwards to get more range out of the cutter blades during their return.
Ice Dragon: slides ice blocks along the ground that are affected by gravity. Good for edge guarding low recoveries.
Whispy Woods: Last summon on the list. Summons a mini drawn version of Whispy, about the size of Villagers Tree. Whispy then proceeds to blow out a gust of wind and summon an apple which fall from the leaves, hurting anyone below including Adeleine. When fallen the apples can then be picked up and thrown for slight damage.

Side B: Rainbow Line. pretty much the implementation of the rainbow lines from Kirby Canvas Curse along with a projectile ball that follows along the line, similar to how Kirby follows the line in that game. Upon activation Adeleine draws a line forward that can be drawn in any direction, even doing a loop-de-loop. When you let go of B or if the line reaches it's max range a ball appears at the start of the line and speed dash forwards until it reaches the end of the line, where it flies off as an arcing projectile. The longer the line, the faster the ball is as it leaves it, allowing for an almost unlimited choice of angles. Can be reflected but if reflected while it's on the line it continues the same way only belonging to the reflector character.

Up B: Co-Kracko. Adeleine quickly draws a Co-Kracko, a smaller Kracko-like enemy with 4 spikes, and rides it similarly to a Lakitu cloud. Adeleine is completely open to attacks from above, as the spikes only cover the lower half of her hurtbox, so this recovery must be used strategically.

Down B: Bumper Crop Basket. Adeleine quickly whips out the basket from the Kirby 64 minigame Bumper Crop Bump in front of her, just like how G&W holds the bucket. Any projectile or item that gets thrown into the basket is neutralized and disappears. This is a purely defensive special to deal with projectile heavy characters as you're trying to set up a summon.

Final Smash: Kracko. Adeleine summons a giant Magical Paintbrush from Canvas Curse and swipes it continuously across the screen until Kracko is fully painted. She then jumps on top of Kracko as she now has full control over it. Kracko can move in all directions freely, though can't move through solid platforms. B is double thunder beam attack that circles Kracko, side B and up B shoots it fast in the direction chosen, and down B is the rain attack.
Why Adeleine as a fighter?
Similarly to Ike as a heavy swordsman and Rosalina as a puppeteer, Adeleine could be chosen due to her summoner potential and then expanded on from there. While Adeleine hasn't appeared in a Kirby game since Kirby 64, her main character status from that game and her moveset potential could see her rise to become the next best Kirby rep, second only to Bandana Dee. Her ability to represent Canvas/Rainbow Curse also adds to her chances.
Supporters
  1. Luminario
  2. Among Waddle Dees
  3. lady_sky_skipper
  4. Aussie the Naturist
  5. Iko MatOrr
  6. Aurane
  7. Nimbostratus
  8. Troykv
  9. Ghirahilda
  10. smashkirby
  11. Guybrush20X6
  12. P.Kay
  13. Indefinite Minimum
  14. Uffe
  15. Bestmand902
  16. Red Ryu
  17. Squashinikun
  18. bksbestbwoy
  19. Ado anon
  20. RineYFD
  21. TheAnimator
  22. Lampy
  23. SEGAGameBoy
  24. ZagarTulip
  25. Shinuto
  26. M8RedBoy31
  27. PsychoIncarnate
  28. KirbyFan391
  29. smash puffle
  30. Mr. Wario
  31. King Sonnn DeDeDoo
  32. ~ Valkyrie ~
  33. EarlTamm
  34. The Original Robot boy
  35. TriforceBun
  36. Dreamking
  37. KirbyWorshipper2465
  38. Isaac: Venus Adept
  39. xpnc

Last edited:
Well, that certainly took a while! I've been waiting for a support thread for this little lady!

I so support! Adeleine may not be a popular or likely choice for Smash, but with an action fighting game coming this winter, there could be a chance of an appearance of Adeleine in a Smash like game!

I don't know if I can be of much help, but I can try!

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Oh yeah I support! I was planning to open a support thread for Adeleine sooner or later, well I was waiting for more infos about that Kirby fighting game, though I'm happy that someone else did it, it means that I'm not the only one who cares about her!
Thank you!

Last edited:

Aurane

Premium
Switch FC
SW-0673-8404-9219
Found this while image surfing and figured y'all would like to see it: a fan-made render of Adeleine. This is by far the best one I've ever seen. And I don't know how old it is. Didn't bother to look. So maybe you've seen it too.

Not being a Smash Bros. player much anymore, seeing the graphical upgrade of characters is what I most anticipate, along with remixes of previous music.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I don't see this happening probably ever, at least not before Bandana Dee. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like it, though. I loved Kirby 64 and always loved Adeleine. She could also be a blast to play as.
For the next iteration, best case scenario would probably be getting Bandana Dee as playable and seeing Adeleine represented somehow, whether it be sticker, trophy, or AT. I would be more than happy with that, which would do a lot to get attention shifted towards her.
Honestly, I hadn't heard of this Kirby fighting game until reading this thread. This could present a possible opportunity to get her some relevance if she can get some kind of inclusion.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Luminario Luminario Among Waddle Dees Among Waddle Dees (I added you as well because I know you care) I want to say something important: I was the owner of the previous 2 Adeleine support threads, and during my personal experience, I had this issue: I found a lot of supporters, though, most of them just wrote a post and disappeared forever... at the end, I was almost always stuck with the last post, being unable to post again without double-posting.
So please, if you are really interested in supporting Adeleine, don't stop supporting Adeleine, come back to this thread and support the character occasionally, I will do it as well.

Now, back to the character... I want to make a summary of the growing relevance of this character recently.

Origins:
  • Adeleine (or Ado) first appeared in Kirby's Dreamland 3; she was just a boss, but in the true ending of the game, she had her moment of spotlight: she is represented as the main character, surrounded by every other character from the game, drawing pictures of them in the credits cutscene, and at thend, she's the one writing the "END" text on the screen.

• In Kirby 64 she became a main character, and part of the crew who fought the Dark Matters and saved Ripple Star. She was playable in the minigames, and in the beta of the game she was also planned to be playable in the main story, but the feature was scrapped in the final game.

The Disappearance:
  • During the development of the Kirby anime, Sakurai said to the staff that he didn't want any human character in the series, many fans think that this is the cause of Adeleine being neglected after Kirby 64.
  • Some fans even thought that Adeleine was retconned and she was not canon anymore, along with other characters from the Shimomura directed trilogy (known by the fans as the Dark Matter trilogy).
The Return of Adeleine:
  • In Kirby Triple Deluxe, Adeleine (as Ado) appeared in two rare keychains; she remained unnamed, as one of the keychain represented the Boss Butch mode of Kirby's Dreamland 3, and the other was called "Sweet Stuff Drawing", despite Ado being in the picture.

• The game "Amiibo Tap", a game on WiiU that used the Amiibo statues to unlock demos of Virtual Console games, included Kirby's Dreamland 3, and had a scene dedicated to Ado's bossfight.

• In Kirby Fighters/Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Adeleine's fight theme was used as background music of the ability select screen; in the Deluxe version of the game, it got a small remix while in the Triple Deluxe minigame version it was just a rip of the original; Later, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe used the music from the Adeleine introduction cutscene in the Miiverse and Amiibo screen; there's a rumor that some hackers looked at the title of the music file in those games, and they included the name "Ado K64": this is an unofficial confirmation that Ado and Adeleine are intended to be the same character, if it wasn't already clear enough.
  • In Kirby Planet Robobot, Adeleine got a rare sticker; this time, she has got her name as well!

• It's the 25th Anniversary of Kirby, and HAL created a Twitter account to celebrate the birthday of the beloved pink puffball. This is the result:

• On the day of Kirby's birthday, HAL changed the banner of the anniversary Twitter account and website, and the new banner has Adeleine in it!

• Later, in the same day, they released a 3DS theme with the same picture (Japan and USA only, no Europe sadly); Adeleine is in it!
  • HAL announced a Kirby themed multiplayer fighting game for 3DS, to be released this winter. Nothing is known so far, but if fighting game means characters roster, it's possible that Adeleine will get a spot in the game! Let's hope!

Aurane Aurane I did an Adeleine 3D model as well! It's not based on her official design, I tried to redesign her a bit, but the render is there:

(I posted a small version of it because it was too big, there is a full resolution version as well)

Last edited:
Luminario Luminario Among Waddle Dees Among Waddle Dees (I added you as well because I know you care) I want to say something important: I was the owner of the previous 2 Adeleine support threads, and during my personal experience, I had this issue: I found a lot of supporters, though, most of them just wrote a post and disappeared forever... at the end, I was almost always stuck with the last post, being unable to post again without double-posting.
So please, if you are really interested in supporting Adeleine, don't stop supporting Adeleine, come back to this thread and support the character occasionally, I will do it as well.

Now, back to the character... I want to make a summary of the growing relevance of this character recently.

Origins:

The Disappearance:
The Return of Adeleine:

Aurane Aurane I did an Adeleine 3D model as well! It's not based on her official design, I tried to redesign her a bit, but the render is there:

(I posted a small version of it because it was too big, there is a full resolution version as well)
Ah, thanks for letting me know! Sure, I can try to support her as best I can, but again, I don't know how much help I can be.

I'm honestly kind of surprised she gets support for Smash, considering how unlikely a chance she has right now. Depending on how they handle the mysterious new Kirby game, that could easily change, but as you said, she hasn't been relevant for years, and only now is she beginning to get promoted from the developers of the Kirby series. Yet some people have been clamoring for her inclusion well before that.

I kind of want to talk about how I began to support an inclusion of Adeleine in Smash, but I'm not sure if people would want to hear it and I worry that might be off topic.

Last edited:
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Troykv Troykv Yes I remember!

Among Waddle Dees Among Waddle Dees Don't worry, just contributing to the discussion is enough!
As long as it's not completely off-topic nor a "bump" message XD
Talking about how you started to support Adelenie in Smash is totally in-topic I think, and it would be interesting as well.
Also, moveset ideas, concepts, drawings, cool fan arts, etc... everything is welcome!

Anyway, there is a lot of time to support her, the new Smash is not even announced, so, there is no need to have very high activity in the thread, just some occasional activity to keep the thread alive is enough.

There are many characters from the Kirby series who have the potential to become Smash fighters, Adeleine may not be the one with the biggest chances, but this shouldn't stop us to support her.
Even just a trophy or assist trophy status may help the character to gain back the lost popularity, though, being playable would be the best scenario and the one I'm hoping for (and everyone else in this thread I assume).
Even if at the end she doesn't get anything, this is still helpful to increase the character's popularity, and increase the chances of a return in the future.

Apparently Adeleine has a small, silent but solid fanbase, this is why there is always someone who supports her, no matter how unlikely it is for her to reappear in a game.

Last edited:

Aurane

Premium
Switch FC
SW-0673-8404-9219

Yeah that's alright. Think I've seen it before. Her eyes make her a bit china doll-ish but besides that, its alright. Though if I'm to be honest, I don't believe Adeleine needs a redesign anyways. She fits very well in the modern Kirby universe still.

Luminario

Smash Lord

Origins:

The Disappearance:
The Return of Adeleine:

Loving the compiled history of Adeleine, would you mind if I add it to the OP?
Actually, would you like to be in charge of this thread instead? I mean it's only fair seeing as you were the owner of the past 2 and I only made this thread the time I did because I made a moveset for her like I do with all characters I support.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Aurane Aurane I see, well the redesign was not meant to be a replacement of the official design, it was more like an experiment, and a personal challenge. BTW the face is inspired by Chuchu's face; most of the elements that I changed are inspired by other Kirby characters or enemies. I agree that she fits the modern style of Kirby with her current design, just look at those official artworks...

Luminario Luminario I don't mind you being in charge of the thread, I have no problem with that, but if you prefer to switch the role with me, I have no problems either, just make your decision... it's fine either ways for me.

You can put the history of Adeleine in the first post, I'd be glad if you do!

Luminario

Smash Lord
Luminario Luminario I don't mind you being in charge of the thread, I have no problem with that, but if you prefer to switch the role with me, I have no problems either, just make your decision... it's fine either ways for me.

You can put the history of Adeleine in the first post, I'd be glad if you do!
Added to the OP~ And I have no idea how to actually pass on ownership.
Back onto Adel, do you think she should have her own stage? I'm thinking of a Kirby 64 traveling stage that goes through each of the worlds. Also on the topic of design I think that she should be designed with the hairstyle from Dreamland 3 for Smash but with something similar to the outfit re-design that Iko did.

Added to the OP~ And I have no idea how to actually pass on ownership.
Back onto Adel, do you think she should have her own stage? I'm thinking of a Kirby 64 traveling stage that goes through each of the worlds. Also on the topic of design I think that she should be designed with the hairstyle from Dreamland 3 for Smash but with something similar to the outfit re-design that Iko did.
I want a stage for Adeleine, it would be cool if we got a stage based on her berry shaped cloud palace or something. The only problem with that though is that it might not work if Adeleine were to be a fighter. She would probably need to be a stage element for the reference to be fully realized. Of course, we could always use Alfonzo when Adeleine is battling on the stage.

Also, I kind of think she should have both her Dream Land 3 and 64 design as options. I think people need cemented evidence that "Ado" is the same character as Adeleine. I'm not sure if a redesign is necessary, though; I think she is perfectly stylized to be a Kirby character.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Luminario Luminario in order to change the thread's owner someone of us should write to a mod (I did it with my first Adeleine thread because it was inactive by a lot of time);
BTW you have done a great job with the op post so far... well, if you really want to change the ownership I can write to a mod, I'm totally indifferent, I mean, to me it's ok even with you as first post. Just let me know, I'd like to have a final confirmation, if you say "yes" I'll send the private message (the next time I'll log in) XD
and I'll also use this opportunity to tell them to adjust the name in the list of support threads, since they wrote Adeline instead of Adeleine...

I think that her Smash model would have more details, like Metaknight and to an extent Dedede (or other characters from other franchises, Peach and Rosalina come to mind); though she's still a Kirby character so she would still remain simple enough, she won't have much more details than the Earthbound/Mother characters.
I agree about the ability to switch from K64 to Dreamland 3 designs, if not completely, even just the hairstyle and the color palette.

About the stage, I would go for a more classic and simple location, Quiet Forest (the forest level where you meet Adeleine in Kirby 64), or else that futuristic pyramid-spaceship thing that appears in both Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, for some reason I think it would be a cool stage and at the same time it would represent Adeleine well, since there are many elements based on colors, including PIX (in the K64 version of the stage).

I also like the other ideas, like the canvas stage, maybe it could be similar to the Gameboy stage from Smash 3DS, but instead of gameboy it's all about drawings, you visit several familiar locations from the Kirby series (maybe even final bosses!!) and some enemies interact with the fighters...

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Luminario Luminario in order to change the thread's owner someone of us should write to a mod (I did it with my first Adeleine thread because it was inactive by a lot of time);
BTW you have done a great job with the op post so far... well, if you really want to change the ownership I can write to a mod, I'm totally indifferent, I mean, to me it's ok even with you as first post. Just let me know, I'd like to have a final confirmation, if you say "yes" I'll send the private message (the next time I'll log in) XD
and I'll also use this opportunity to tell them to adjust the name in the list of support threads, since they wrote Adeline instead of Adeleine...

I think that her Smash model would have more details, like Metaknight and to an extent Dedede (or other characters from other franchises, Peach and Rosalina come to mind); though she's still a Kirby character so she would still remain simple enough, she won't have much more details than the Earthbound/Mother characters.
I agree about the ability to switch from K64 to Dreamland 3 designs, if not completely, even just the hairstyle and the color palette.

About the stage, I would go for a more classic and simple location, Quiet Forest (the forest level where you meet Adeleine in Kirby 64), or else that futuristic pyramid-spaceship thing that appears in both Dreamland 3 and Kirby 64, for some reason I think it would be a cool stage and at the same time it would represent Adeleine well, since there are many elements based on colors, including PIX (in the K64 version of the stage).

I also like the other ideas, like the canvas stage, maybe it could be similar to the Gameboy stage from Smash 3DS, but instead of gameboy it's all about drawings, you visit several familiar locations from the Kirby series (maybe even final bosses!!) and some enemies interact with the fighters...
Well let's go down the same route you did before, if I ever go inactive on this site for too long, then you take the reins~
On the re-design thing yeah I only meant give her the Peach/Rosi treatment and give her frills on her skirt along with the Ado hair, simply cause it'll look more fashionable. Her base design lets her immediately stand out amongst the rest of the roster anyway.
We could always get a Canvas/Rainbow Curse stage that's sort of like Pictochat but more Kirby. I still prefer the traveling Kirby 64 stage though that game has good material for such a stage.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have some news, nothing big but we may (or may not) get new infromations about the new Kirby games this weekend:
http://gonintendo.com/stories/280423-next-issue-of-nintendo-dream-gets-special-kirby-cover-posters
The Japanese Nintendo magazine, this month will be all about Kirby's 25th Anniversary, and it will include 3 reversible posters, one of which is about Kirby 64 and Adeleine is part of the artwork.

I don't know why, but every time that picture is used, I can't help but play "Where is Waldo" with Adeleine -.-
She's a bit covered by text but she's still there, BTW.

We are close to E3, so I'm not sure they will release many informations, but who knows...
I want to know more about the fighting game, if Adeleine is in that game, her chances to appear in Smash are like 10 times bigger than how they are now.

I'm hyped to know which things would arrive with the new Kirby game <3
Same here. I mean, there's the possibility of it not helping anything. But I suspect that won't be the case.

Still, we know next to nothing about the game other than the genre, and I've been curious as to what the game will offer.

I'm assuming that Japanese Nintendo magazine didn't offer any clues? I'll be busy when the Nintendo E3 Direct launches and assuming it will have the game officially announced, I may have to settle with a delayed reaction.

Troykv

Smash Master
Same here. I mean, there's the possibility of it not helping anything. But I suspect that won't be the case.

Still, we know next to nothing about the game other than the genre, and I've been curious as to what the game will offer.

I'm assuming that Japanese Nintendo magazine didn't offer any clues? I'll be busy when the Nintendo E3 Direct launches and assuming it will have the game officially announced, I may have to settle with a delayed reaction.
The genre itself makes the possibilities so high, specially because is a celebration game (and the magical "25th" that everyone loves).

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have been missing for too long, sorry for that, by the way, I created something...

It represents a concept of Adeleine's up grab... sorry for the horrible quality, it's just a sketch and I haven't found a better way to share the animation (I have a better mp4 version, maybe I should upload it on some video sites?)

Adeleine goes a bit like a ninja in the animation, "teleporting" from a place to another, like a very fast movement... well she does it in the original games too, especially Kirby's Dreamland 3!

The enemy drawn in the animation is a "Tick" a very common enemy in the Kirby series, introduced in Kirby's Dreamland 3.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I have been missing for too long, sorry for that, by the way, I created something...

It represents a concept of Adeleine's up grab... sorry for the horrible quality, it's just a sketch and I haven't found a better way to share the animation (I have a better mp4 version, maybe I should upload it on some video sites?)

Adeleine goes a bit like a ninja in the animation, "teleporting" from a place to another, like a very fast movement... well she does it in the original games too, especially Kirby's Dreamland 3!

The enemy drawn in the animation is a "Tick" a very common enemy in the Kirby series, introduced in Kirby's Dreamland 3.

What do you think?
I really like it. I'd love to see Kirby enemies pop up throughout Adels moveset in this kind of way, she's pretty much the only character who has the abilities to make this a reality too.

What do you think?
Nice idea, I think it would work well. I think it would be interesting if Adeleine used her quick movements for some of her attacks. Though it does seem like a bit of an odd grab, don't you think? I would assume she wouldn't grab with the hand carrying the paintbrush. Otherwise she'd be whacking the opponent with her palette!

Anyway, sorry for not posting regularly, I've been lurking here occasionally but haven't seen an opportunity to respond to anything.

I must say, I'm not entirely on the Smash hype train right now. While I do want to see another Smash eventually, I'm lightly hoping Smash doesn't get revealed this E3 so that Adeleine has better chances. I know there's no guarantee she'll be in the action-fighter game, but unlike most Kirby games the chances are higher. Meanwhile, the chances of her getting into Smash are currently still minimal. I could see Adeleine in a Smash game in the future if she really is playable in the new action fighter game, but not if Smash is announced at this year's E3.

Suprised this comic hasn't been posted yet.

I've seen this comic before, but don't really have a strong opinion on it. It's an idea, I've heard it's mostly a joke, but if this comic were to predict the future, I think it would be a shame if most of her attacks were generic paint. There's a lot of potential with the art-to-life callbacks she could have.

I feel like Brawl in the Family's interpretation of Adeleine is kind of... eh. She makes a good supporting role for the rest of the cast, but doesn't really stand out much in that comic. It's too bad Brawl in the Family had to end, as it was the only piece of consistent material starring her at all for a long time, and it ended not long before my hopes and dreams almost got completely crushed in the following months.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Nice idea, I think it would work well. I think it would be interesting if Adeleine used her quick movements for some of her attacks. Though it does seem like a bit of an odd grab, don't you think? I would assume she wouldn't grab with the hand carrying the paintbrush. Otherwise she'd be whacking the opponent with her palette!

Anyway, sorry for not posting regularly, I've been lurking here occasionally but haven't seen an opportunity to respond to anything.

I must say, I'm not entirely on the Smash hype train right now. While I do want to see another Smash eventually, I'm lightly hoping Smash doesn't get revealed this E3 so that Adeleine has better chances. I know there's no guarantee she'll be in the action-fighter game, but unlike most Kirby games the chances are higher. Meanwhile, the chances of her getting into Smash are currently still minimal. I could see Adeleine in a Smash game in the future if she really is playable in the new action fighter game, but not if Smash is announced at this year's E3.
I think she is not holding the opponent with her hands, it's more like a hug XD well, there are other characters who grab with stuff in their hands, and since Smash is not much realistic, you may potentially temporarily make the palette disappear while grabbing the enemy.
BTW I made an error in the animation, one of those things that once seen can't be unseen: in the last scene, the paintbrush and the palette are switched, she's holding the paintbrush with the left hand instead of the right one!

About not posting regularly, it's all right, as I already wrote time ago, there is no need to make a huge amount of posts, just once in a while is good.
When there is low activity, I sometimes don't reply because the risk is to get stuck as the last post and if I want to post again I need a double post, so if I don't reply often it's because of that, I want to save my post for a more useful purpose; I still read anyway.

Currently the chances of Adeleine in Smash are low, but this is the point of this thread... some years ago the chances were even lower, if Adeleine is getting some relevance recently it's also thanks to the requests of the fans... you know what happend with that guy on Kirby's 25th anniversary Twitter.
So no matter how low her chances are, this will help anyway... I have seen characters like Takamaru and Prince Stable getting threads here on Smashboards and then getting an assist trophy despite their low chances, and even Geno got his Mii costume despite the copyright problems with Square.
Don't ever lose your hopes!

Suprised this comic hasn't been posted yet.

I'm not a fan of Brawl in the Family, honestly... I think that in this comic the author is mostly making fun of the concept of Adeleine in smash, using it as a gag, he seems to think that she wouldn't even work at all... and this annoys me a bit.
Adeleine has definitely the potential to become a very unique fighter in Smash, she has the skills and the resources to build a moveset over them, the only thing stopping her from being in Smash already is that huge amount of time she has been neglected by HAL.

I think she is not holding the opponent with her hands, it's more like a hug XD well, there are other characters who grab with stuff in their hands, and since Smash is not much realistic, you may potentially temporarily make the palette disappear while grabbing the enemy.
BTW I made an error in the animation, one of those things that once seen can't be unseen: in the last scene, the paintbrush and the palette are switched, she's holding the paintbrush with the left hand instead of the right one!

About not posting regularly, it's all right, as I already wrote time ago, there is no need to make a huge amount of posts, just once in a while is good.
When there is low activity, I sometimes don't reply because the risk is to get stuck as the last post and if I want to post again I need a double post, so if I don't reply often it's because of that, I want to save my post for a more useful purpose; I still read anyway.

Currently the chances of Adeleine in Smash are low, but this is the point of this thread... some years ago the chances were even lower, if Adeleine is getting some relevance recently it's also thanks to the requests of the fans... you know what happend with that guy on Kirby's 25th anniversary Twitter.
So no matter how low her chances are, this will help anyway... I have seen characters like Takamaru and Prince Stable getting threads here on Smashboards and then getting an assist trophy despite their low chances, and even Geno got his Mii costume despite the copyright problems with Square.
Don't ever lose your hopes!

I'm not a fan of Brawl in the Family, honestly... I think that in this comic the author is mostly making fun of the concept of Adeleine in smash, using it as a gag, he seems to think that she wouldn't even work at all... and this annoys me a bit.
Adeleine has definitely the potential to become a very unique fighter in Smash, she has the skills and the resources to build a moveset over them, the only thing stopping her from being in Smash already is that huge amount of time she has been neglected by HAL.
A damaging hug, eh? That's not really part of her character, I would think, but I'll go with it.

I doubt relevancy is the only thing stopping Adeleine from becoming a fighter, although that problem is likely the main reason. If you promoted her back in the Melee days, people probably wouldn't have supported her. I wouldn't have heard of her then, to be fair, I only learned about her in 2008; in fact, I learned about Nintendo from Melee. Her best chance of appearing was in Brawl, where she got nothing, not even a sticker. From there on out her chances of getting in got slimmer and slimmer. Certainly I wonder if timing and bias had played their roles in the absence of Adeleine in Smash.

If everything pans out the way I hope it does, Adeleine will be introduced into the action fighter game and eventually promoted into Smash via pure potential. That's another reason I want the Switch iteration of Smash later: if Adeleine in Smash is promoted too early, we might have a Corrin problem.

I feel the need to remind... myself, mostly, that Adeleine's return is still mainly speculation. It would ironically be much more odd if she doesn't appear in Kirby's new action fighter game, solely because of how much they've referenced her lately. But for both that game and Smash, there isn't much more than an anticipation of things to be announced.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
No Adeleine so far, but the new Kirby game for Switch looks very cool!
It also brings back some elements from the Dark Matter trilogy, such as Nago, the Clean ability, and power combinations (but it looks to be limited to elemental power ups).

They have not shown anything about the new Fighting game for 3DS, maybe later in the Treehouse?

It remains a mystery if Adeleine is in the fighting game or not, I remain hopeful, maybe given all the Dark Matter trilogy throwbacks in the new Kirby Switch, she manages to appear as a boss in that game, or in some other ways?
Today I was hoping for some confirmations but apparently we must still wait, though the announcement is cool so I'm not disappointed at all (I love the new Kirby game, I already said it?).

...I'm nervous. Nothing was said about the action fighter game yet and the Switch game, while admittedly pretty and interesting, didn't show Adeleine at all. True, they didn't showcase any concrete Kirby character besides Whispy and Kirby, but what are the odds of her getting replaced again? I could see it happening... I could easily see something go wrong and Adeleine being left in the dust again.

At least Smash wasn't revealed yet, giving time to promote Adeleine again, but what's the point if she isn't being acknowledged as a game character?

I guess I have no choice but to wait for more details.

Troykv

Smash Master
...I'm nervous. Nothing was said about the action fighter game yet and the Switch game, while admittedly pretty and interesting, didn't show Adeleine at all. True, they didn't showcase any concrete Kirby character besides Whispy and Kirby, but what are the odds of her getting replaced again? I could see it happening... I could easily see something go wrong and Adeleine being left in the dust again.

At least Smash wasn't revealed yet, giving time to promote Adeleine again, but what's the point if she isn't being acknowledged as a game character?

I guess I have no choice but to wait for more details.
Well people, don't be afraid too soon, the Spotlight wanted to focus in the Switch Games, we still have the Treehouse to see 3DS news (like that Metroid 2 Re-imagination).

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The last day of Treehouse finished just now, and they revealed nothing about Kirby... I wonder why they decided to show us the 2018 game and not the game that should be released this winter... it's odd, I hope it's not getting canceled nor delayed.
We still don't know anything about that game and it will be released in a few months, it's very strange... maybe they will do a Kirby direct soon? I hope.

Seriously? I waited two months for an announcement that still hasn't arrived?!

What's going on here?! If Adeleine was in a new game, they probably would've shown her role by now. The 3DS theme was nice (still not sure why Europe didn't get it) but part of what I was hoping was that she would be picked back up by the developers and the absences would finally come to a halt.

Adeleine in Smash would make me anticipate the next Smash more than anything else, but the revitalization of Adeleine's relevancy is what I ultimately want to see.

Someone help me. I'm on the verge of losing all patience.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Well, we know a Kirby fighting game is in the works, and we know that Ninty hasn't forgotten about Adeleine otherwise she wouldn't have shown up in a theme, so there's not much we can do but bide our time and wait for news. There will likely be another Direct in like 2-3 months anyway so we can maybe get some good new then~