• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Well, now there’s more DLC coming along after the Fighters’ Pass, so let’s not give up hope!

Add me to the support list, Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr
Sorry, I've been offline for quite a while... well, I'll add you to the list right now!

This thread needs more activity
I agree! It's just that all my attempts to keep the activity going didn't seem to turn out well so far and I kinda gave up a bit...

By the way... Adeleine seems to at least appear in the new free Kirby game for Switch... she is a sticker, her Star Allies artwork, nothing special but better than nothing.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 is on Switch, so Adeleine can appear on the console in another instance (as Ado); also, it's my favorite Kirby game!

I'm going to get a Switch Lite very soon... I can't wait to finally play Star Allies so I can try Adeleine's gameplay!

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I've been offline for quite a while... well, I'll add you to the list right now!

I agree! It's just that all my attempts to keep the activity going didn't seem to turn out well so far and I kinda gave up a bit...

By the way... Adeleine seems to at least appear in the new free Kirby game for Switch... she is a sticker, her Star Allies artwork, nothing special but better than nothing.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 is on Switch, so Adeleine can appear on the console in another instance (as Ado); also, it's my favorite Kirby game!

I'm going to get a Switch Lite very soon... I can't wait to finally play Star Allies so I can try Adeleine's gameplay!
I hope you enjoy it

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Kirby Star Allies really convinced me of her potential, an "artist" character would be a very unique take in smash

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Is it true that Sakurai dislikes Adeleine because he didn't direct Kirby 64? I've heard that cited as the reason why Adeleine kept getting the shaft in Kirby games, though she finally appeared as a Dream Friend in Star Allies.

P47

Smash Apprentice
Her and Ribbon make a cameo appearance together later on after you advance enough in the story. It's not much but it's still awesome to see

Is it true that Sakurai dislikes Adeleine because he didn't direct Kirby 64? I've heard that cited as the reason why Adeleine kept getting the shaft in Kirby games, though she finally appeared as a Dream Friend in Star Allies.
Source? That's messed up if true (and would help explain why non-Sakurai Kirby games got shafted in Ultimate)

Also put me on the Supporter's List! Bandee, Ado, and Taranza are my favorite Kirby characters

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Source? That's messed up if true (and would help explain why non-Sakurai Kirby games got shafted in Ultimate)
I don't think there is a source for such a thing, but it is suspected that Sakurai may not like Adeleine. I guess the main idea is that Sakurai has a dislike for human characters being in Kirby, something that he was rather clear about when he set the guidelines for the anime adaptation.

Edit:
But who knows, maybe that was just a thing he had for adaptations. We know from experience that many game adaptations love to insert humans where they don't belong.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
But who knows, maybe that was just a thing he had for adaptations. We know from experience that many game adaptations love to insert humans where they don't belong.
The trouble with this is that the anime did not fix that problem. Tiff and her family were the human stand-ins of the show and were WAY more human than Adeleine in everything but technicality, and Kirby being unable to speak made Tiff the focus and not Kirby. So if they were trying to avoid the human and monster interaction trope, they basically failed.

Also, that art episode had mockeries of human artwork with actual human models. Do with that as you will (I hate how that was the perfect time to introduce Adeleine and it didn't happen.)

Another thing that could be of concern is that Sakurai has not used Adeleine in ANY of his works as of yet. Remember, he didn't make any of the games she appears in, but she's somehow never been alluded to in Smash in any fashion. And considering Adeleine is the only human in Kirby that's not from another game, I fear he may have clung onto an ideology where Kirby canonically is eight inches and never interacts with human creatures.

I hope I'm wrong, or in the possibility I'm right it's subject to change. Kirby is implied to be eight inches in Star Allies as well, that didn't stop Adeleine's revival.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The trouble with this is that the anime did not fix that problem. Tiff and her family were the human stand-ins of the show and were WAY more human than Adeleine in everything but technicality, and Kirby being unable to speak made Tiff the focus and not Kirby. So if they were trying to avoid the human and monster interaction trope, they basically failed.
I guess, but having characters act human doesn't make them human. And Kirby not speaking was also a rule of Sakurai's, so I think the way things played out was fine with him.
Another thing that could be of concern is that Sakurai has not used Adeleine in ANY of his works as of yet. Remember, he didn't make any of the games she appears in, but she's somehow never been alluded to in Smash in any fashion. And considering Adeleine is the only human in Kirby that's not from another game, I fear he may have clung onto an ideology where Kirby canonically is eight inches and never interacts with human creatures.
I wouldn't doubt it. He is rather stern in how he perceives things and when it comes to his ideology. Doesn't mean he can't put it to the side, as he has done it for the sake of the fans in Smash, but it's clear he still has them and they do come out in more minor cases.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Well... that's just a fan theory, it's not confirmed.
The fact is that we absolutely don't know why they avoided any reference to Adeleine for almost 20 years, and we can only speculate according to the informations we have (near nothing aside the fact of her being missing from the franchise for a long time).

Her and Ribbon make a cameo appearance together later on after you advance enough in the story. It's not much but it's still awesome to see

Also put me on the Supporter's List! Bandee, Ado, and Taranza are my favorite Kirby characters
The spoiler is cool! Also added to the supporters!

By the way....
Remember the thing about the ability page o Kirby's website? They almot finished to post them on Twitter, and there's a whole new section on that page labeled "Special Abilities".
What do you think Special Abilities are? Those endgame weapons such as Star Rod, Triple Star, Love-love Stick etc? Those game gimmicks like Hypernova, Super Abilities and the Robobot Armor? Both? The ability combinations from the Dark Matter games? Or a completely new gimmick from a yet unannounced game? We'll probably discover it in 4 days or less.

I hope all this teasing ends with the announcement of the next main platformer... I know that Star Allies is not that old, but Triple Deluxe and Robobot were released close to each other too. Or at least a good experimental spin-off with a different gameplay (like Canvas Curse and others).

P47

Smash Apprentice
Hey, anyone ever heard of a recent theory called the “S.M.A.S.H.” theory?
View attachment 238521

I’d be lying if I didn’t think it was ridiculous, buuut say the H somehow matches this logo:

View attachment 238522
You think Adeleine could be confirmed through here, assuming this was the case?
I wouldn't take it seriously but if it was true then she might be one of the frontrunners (if there are no spirits in the FP)
There's gotta be a reason why there isn't a single Kirby 64 spirit besides neglect, right? :/

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
So... Can some one explain to me why she should get in before more actual major characters like Dark Matter, Bandana Dee, Bugzzy, etc.? Don't throw the spirits deconfirm argument at me,
While I won't necessarily rule out spirits for you, I will say that the fact that Adeleine does not have one is part of the problem. There is no reference to her in any form, not in any of the minimal references to the games she appears in. I was told that spirits were done by a team investigating the popularity of franchise characters, so the fact that 64 has NOTHING and Super Star Stacker (a game that never got officially localized) obtained a Gryll spirit is more than a bit strange.

And while an argument can be made for a few characters being more major, I personally feel not many are as versatile as Adeleine could be. She is a paint summoner, a niche that is not present in a fighter's moveset. She also has the gimmick of summoning Kirby creatures to fight for her, and I think there's quite a bit of potential for her to have a moveset referencing bosses from all across Kirby's history.

Remember, we barely have anything from outside Sakurai's shallow pool of handmade games, and I think a chance to get someone outside the select few games would get the Smash team to think outside the box.

Last edited:

P47

Smash Apprentice
So... Can some one explain to me why she should get in before more actual major characters like Dark Matter, Bandana Dee, Bugzzy, etc.? Don't throw the spirits deconfirm argument at me,
Personally, I feel like if Ado got in it'd be for her awesome moveset potential. The others' movesets are more set in stone but being able to paint things to life has so much potential. Also in Star Allies, she's helped out by Ribbon which could lead to a lot of really cool stuff.

As a side benefit, the amount of Kirby 64 content, a mainline game, in Smash amounts to 1 track and 1 remix. Not even a single spirit. She'd help represent an unrepresented area of Kirby (just like DMS and Bandana Dee in other ways).

Also this is more personal but I really dislike it when people bring up "deserves to be in Smash over x" as an argument in a series that'd added the Ice Climbers, Pit pre-Uprising, the trainer from Wii Fit, and the dog from Duck Hunt. People just really like Adeleine, even before Star Allies was ever announced and she was brought back into the spotlight, and there's nothing wrong with wanting her to be in the game. Personally, Bandana Dee is my most wanted character but Adeleine's still one of my favorite Kirby characters and I'd go nuts if she was ever added, regardless of "who she got in over." When it comes to speculation, go wild!

Sooo question: what would the music be for Adeleine’s reveal trailer?
Planet Popstar from Kirby 64 is probably a safe bet

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Personally, I feel like if Ado got in it'd be for her awesome moveset potential. The others' movesets are more set in stone but being able to paint things to life has so much potential. Also in Star Allies, she's helped out by Ribbon which could lead to a lot of really cool stuff.

As a side benefit, the amount of Kirby 64 content, a mainline game, in Smash amounts to 1 track and 1 remix. Not even a single spirit. She'd help represent an unrepresented area of Kirby (just like DMS and Bandana Dee in other ways).

Also this is more personal but I really dislike it when people bring up "deserves to be in Smash over x" as an argument in a series that'd added the Ice Climbers, Pit pre-Uprising, the trainer from Wii Fit, and the dog from Duck Hunt. People just really like Adeleine, even before Star Allies was ever announced and she was brought back into the spotlight, and there's nothing wrong with wanting her to be in the game. Personally, Bandana Dee is my most wanted character but Adeleine's still one of my favorite Kirby characters and I'd go nuts if she was ever added, regardless of "who she got in over." When it comes to speculation, go wild!

Planet Popstar from Kirby 64 is probably a safe bet
Still doesn't excuse the fact the characters I mentioned are more major and made more appearences.

P47

Smash Apprentice
Still doesn't excuse the fact the characters I mentioned are more major and made more appearences.
Like I just said, who cares? Smash speculation is all about who you want to see.

Anyways since you really want to debate importance what makes Bugzzy more important than Ado? Cappy has made more appearances than Magolor, Marx, and Bandana Dee combined but that doesn't make him more important to the series.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Like I just said, who cares? Smash speculation is all about who you want to see.

Anyways since you really want to debate importance what makes Bugzzy more important than Ado? Cappy has made more appearances than Magolor, Marx, and Bandana Dee combined but that doesn't make him more important to the series.
Well, the dee and dark matter at least have important roles.

P47

Smash Apprentice
Adeleine was a boss in DL3, a main character in 64, and a Dream Friend in SA (which is pretty esteemed company).
  • Dark Matter Swordsman was the main villain of DL2 but was only revealed at the very end and has only made cameos (albeit pretty notable ones) since then in Mass Attack and as a surprise boss in Robobot. If DMS ever got in though he'd definitely take some inspiration from other forms of DM though
  • Bandana Dee represents a different era of Kirby
Y'know what? Why do we need to pit these characters against each other anyways? As a diehard Kirby fan, I want all of them all in!

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
...why does this have to be an importance contest? This isn't the Wii U era: K. Rool and Banjo got in despite years of irrelevancy, due to their previous importance in games adored by fans of the series. In K. Rool's case, there's a couple of characters in DK that could've gotten priority but didn't. So why apply this to Kirby contenders? Adeleine has a role to play in Dream Land 3 and 64, complete with central focus in both credits. And yes, an 18 year curse stopped her importance to most other games, but to a number of 64 fans, she became a central focus despite that.
And it's not like Smash has paid much attention to what's relevant in Kirby. Nightmare wasn't relevant at the time he got an "assist" trophy.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Sooo question: what would the music be for Adeleine’s reveal trailer?
Planet Popstar (map select) from Kirby 64, first level remix, or a different remix of Kirby 64 songs, maybe including the minigame themes, but there's a small chance that it's Ripple Star instead (map or the castle theme).

Because King K Rool got in before Dixie Kong.
It's not important if a character is major or not: as long as it's cool, has some history and good moveset potential, it's fine for Smash.
In the case of Adeleine & Ribbon, there's a lot of unique stuff that you can do with them that no other character can, such as riding a boss drawing or summoning a remote controlled boss.

By the way, Adeleine can draw Dark Matter and Kracko just fine, and use them during the battle. If those characters are "more major", it would be another reason for why Adeleine should be in Smash: because she can summon all those important characters in the battlefield. She has never drawn Whispy, but technically she can if the developers want.

After Star Allies, I think that all the secondary characters of the Kirby series (Dream Friends) have been brought on the same level of importance, so we shouldn't discuss if Daroach, Magolor and Adeleine are more important than each other, they are in fact all Dream Friends, and Dream Friends are all important since they represent the history of the Kirby series (they'll likely come back in future games too).

special.png

What does "Special Ability" mean? It's not "abilities", it's "Ability", so I guess it's not Star Rod, Hypernova etc., it's likely some new gimmick.
They posted a message saying that the reveal of "Special Ability" is planned for October, the translator says "the 4th Special Ability", it's probably an error or something, but the super abilities from Kirby Wii are 5, not four, I think they are not.

If it's a new game, I hope Adeleine and all the Dream Friends will be playable again.
I also hope they will do a Dream Friends game one day, a spin-off where the Dream Friends are the main characters instead of Kirby.

Last edited:

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Adeleine is undoubtedly one of my favorite Kirby characters and while I really don't have a "most wanted character" other than Agumon, I feel like she has a huge potential as a fighter and she deserves more love. Her absence as a spirit along with Ribbon is pretty suspicious when it could have been an easy battle (Female Inkling and Ribbon Jigglypuff on Green Greens) and can only mean that either Sakurai forgot about her, didn't want to add her in or she is in development stage, which is what I'm hoping for.

Regardless, I'd love to be a supporter of her!

P47

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping Adeleine appears beyond Kirby Star Allies.
She's has a sticker in Super Kirby Clash at least
And a cameo appearance in the game's 2nd village
She's also in a lot of the artwork that the official Kirby Twitter puts out. I think she's finally here to stay

Troykv

Smash Master
She's has a sticker in Super Kirby Clash at least
And a cameo appearance in the game's 2nd village
She's also in a lot of the artwork that the official Kirby Twitter puts out. I think she's finally here to stay
That makes a bit hopeful.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm hoping Adeleine appears beyond Kirby Star Allies.
I've had the same hope for her ever since she was revealed to be playable in Star Allies.

I'm not saying the Dream Team (my collective nickname for when I refer to the quartet of Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee) absolutely NEEDS a female for some quota or whatever, but thanks to things like 'Brawl in the Family', I'd really like to see Adeleine be more prominent in the series, and I feel that joining up with the Dream Team would be the best way to do it.

Bonus points to HAL if they can find some way to keep Ribbon (who lives on another planet), Gooey and all 6 Animal Friends on the same level of importance as well.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
At least I have never heard any of that. What is true is that by the guidelines for Kirby's anime it is possible that Sakurai did not like the idea of a human character in Kirby

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So, apparently the question about if Ado and Adeleine are the same character is still open...
Despite it has been heavily implied that they are the same character (also by the move "Ado's Painter" done by Adeleine in Kirby Star Allies), HAL's stance on the subject seems to be still that it's unknown if Ado and Adeleine are the same or not.

I'm waiting for them to talk about her in those Twitter posts, but they will probably bring this up again.

So, I've been thinking for a while...

What if Ado and Adeleine actually aren't the same character?
Recently the Kirby franchise has been populated by countless "Mirror World", "Parallel" and "Another Dimension" versions of the major characters, so it wouldn't be too odd if it comes out that Ado is Parallel Adeleine or something.

The only issue is that it doesn't make sense for Adeleine to have a move called "Ado's Painter" if Ado is supposed to be another character (it's like if Metaknight has a move called "Dark Metaknight's slash" kinda).

I have always been a supporter of the "same character" theory because the two being separate didn't make any sense (and especially it came out of fanfictions of people who believed that Ado was male and shipped the two :mad088:)... but now with the parallel universes and all, it's totally possible, and I'm open to it.
Since Metaknight's beta design became its own character now (Morpho Knight), I think it's totally possible that one day Ado will come back as a separate character from Adeleine, and I would be ok with that, because honestly, while Adeleine is awesome, I always prefered Ado's original design (the additional details on the dress, the color scheme and the haircut), and it would be nice to have that design back, even if as another separate character.

Currently they should find a way to fully reintroduce Adeleine in the franchise (I know she's back, but so far she's just there, without a consistent role in the cast aside of being that old character from Kirby 64; they should involve her more in the story and the lore). If that happens, I'd be totally ok with Ado as her parallel version (though Ado is not evil either, she was possessed in Kirby 3).

In case Adeleine & Ribbon are now a duo character and can't be separated, I would be happy to see Ado in team with that angel from the last level of Kirby's Dream Land 3, doing the equivalent of Ribbon to Adeleine... maybe instead of launching crystals, use a bow and throw heart arrows like the Cupid ability, I don't know...

-----------

Anyway, I think that along with being playable, she should get a new bossfight, updated with new moves (maybe instead of hiding behind the canvas all the time, she could be more active and attack in team with Ribbon using the crystals and stuff... it would be odd to have Ribbon as an enemy, but the boss fight would be cool and a bit more bullet hell).

An idea would be to have her back to the role she had in Kirby 64, helping Kirby from the background... maybe her bossfight can be a trap, a surprise boss... she usually gives you food, but later in the game, you find a room where she gets possessed/controlled somehow and attacks you instead of giving food. As always, possibilities are infinite. Maybe Ado can take her role if you play as her, or simply be a DX version of the boss (now that I think, maybe they want Ado and Adeleine to stay separate because they're planning to make a new bossfight and Ado is the DX version of it).

-----------

By the way, I've finally got a Switch Lite. I'm planning to get Star Allies soon, but for now I'm just grinding a lot in Super Kirby Clash and I'm level 99/almost 100 (Adeleine is in my village! :happysheep:). I'll probably get Smash too but it depends on who the last DLC characters are (if Adeleine is in, it's an instant buy).

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm still assuming Ado and Adeleine are the same unless an actual difference comes along. However, I will say that Dream Land 3's painter is way too good of a design to pass up, so in the offbeat chance they want to give Adeleine a new counterpart, they'd better use that design for her.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Add me to the supporter's list!
Done!
I'm glad you finally came in this thread, I've seen you supporting Adeleine elsewhere so I expected it to happen some day.

By the way, if Adeleine gets in Smash along with Ribbon, I hope one of their taunt is the high five animation.

D

Deleted member

Done!
I'm glad you finally came in this thread, I've seen you supporting Adeleine elsewhere so I expected it to happen some day.

By the way, if Adeleine gets in Smash along with Ribbon, I hope one of their taunt is the high five animation.
You could say that my invitation was always waiting.

929f9b81fe5a936b61256ef2aa86eb54311028d1_hq.gif

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
If wonder if we've waited too long for Adeleine becoming a late spirit to remain acceptable... I want to think it would still be good enough, but it's been roughly a year and no sign of any spirits being added without promotional purpose. I could feel the pains of characters getting assist trophied after months of radio silence, especially in Shadow and Issac's case, despite not really vouching for any of them. Would it be a similar case here?

D

Deleted member

I prefer to stay positive.

Sakurai's quite an unpredictable man, so we can't say for sure the chances of any character right now

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
OMG what is this?!?

This is the tweet that featured this picture, I was lucky to find it just the moment they published it.

Translation by Google:
"Kirby and other Pupland artists are creating huge paintings! I heard the story ... and we went to interview! Well, what kind of work is completed ... Wow! ? A lot of things jumped out of the canvas! ? This is the most important thing! ! "

Last edited:
Top Bottom