• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Hands down a Kirby RPG might be what we need right now if we want to expand on the personalities of some of it's characters. Something Mario & Luigi/FE style.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice

BlueBird23

Smash Rookie
So apparently, all newcomers in the Fighter Pass will get their own spirit board. If Joker is anything to go by, the spirits will be from one specific game rather than their entire series. Let's talk Kirby. There is one mainline Kirby game without a single spirit in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, although it had stickers in Brawl. It also happens to be a game that featured some beautiful and unique locations and therefore has a lot of cool stage potential. This game also has a lot of great music, and the director of this game has two other games under his belt that also have great music. This game features a character that is a natural fit for the series and could be really cool and unique in Smash.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So apparently, all newcomers in the Fighter Pass will get their own spirit board. If Joker is anything to go by, the spirits will be from one specific game rather than their entire series. Let's talk Kirby. There is one mainline Kirby game without a single spirit in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, although it had stickers in Brawl. It also happens to be a game that featured some beautiful and unique locations and therefore has a lot of cool stage potential. This game also has a lot of great music, and the director of this game has two other games under his belt that also have great music. This game features a character that is a natural fit for the series and could be really cool and unique in Smash.
Stop beating around the bush, we know you're talking about Adeleine.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have been inactive in this thread for too long, so I decided to make a new artwork as a gift for you!

Adeleine Ribbon Hanafuda.png

This time I decided to try a new art style, and I drew Adeleine with different, more human-like proportions (and slighty grown up too). There's no reason for that, I just wanted to experiment... anyway I'm happy with the result, I hope you like it as well.
The picture is a reference to the Hanafuda cards, and there is a joke in the picture that only those who are familiar with said cards can understand (the card has a "Ribbon", so the dots in the background lol).
There is a missing detail that I will add only if Adeleine gets announced for real. Anyway it's nothing big, it's just a small detail.

EarlTamm EarlTamm Good timing, I just finished this artwork some minutes ago and I was going to post it, you anticipated me XD
As far as I remember, there were some Adeleine and Ribbon pictures before too, but after Star Allies they are a lot more frequent.

Anyway, I was concerned about Joker stealing the role of the summoner of Smash, though the way he summons the persona is just a power up, he does not really summon minions like Adeleine. So, Adeleine would still be unique! (unless you count Brawl Dedede, Olimar and Rosalina's Luma, but they are all different in their own way).

Oh that's interesting...
There's a chance that instead of using Kirby 64, they use Star Allies as base game, so the spirits would be all the Dream Friends... most of them already have a spirit in the game, but none of them use the Star Allies artworks, it can be a case like the Eevee and Pikachu spirits from Let's Go.

Also I noticed something odd on the Kirby twitter... something about Adeleine's colors in Star Allies, but I'll probably talk later about this.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I find it interesting how connected Adeleine and Ribbon have gotten in fan made stuff ever since Star Allies. I don't recall that being the case beforehand, though I may be wrong.
Because Adeleine and Ribbon have different origins, there originally wasn't really a reason to pair the two together, although I've seen exceptions. They are the only characters from 64 that did not make future appearances for the longest time. Even if Bandana Dee isn't the one from 64 I bet the latter Dee appeared in Tilt n Tumble and Canvas Curse, but the female teammates did not show up in anything for over a decade.
As a playable character, Ribbon compliments Adeleine's shortcomings pretty well, so I can see why the duo has become quite popular. I don't personally like or dislike the pairing, but I think in future it wouldn't hurt to separate them a bit. Maybe Adeleine can give you items again and Ribbon can act like that angel from Epic Yarn and save you from danger.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Because Adeleine and Ribbon have different origins, there originally wasn't really a reason to pair the two together, although I've seen exceptions. They are the only characters from 64 that did not make future appearances for the longest time. Even if Bandana Dee isn't the one from 64 I bet the latter Dee appeared in Tilt n Tumble and Canvas Curse, but the female teammates did not show up in anything for over a decade.
As a playable character, Ribbon compliments Adeleine's shortcomings pretty well, so I can see why the duo has become quite popular. I don't personally like or dislike the pairing, but I think in future it wouldn't hurt to separate them a bit. Maybe Adeleine can give you items again and Ribbon can act like that angel from Epic Yarn and save you from danger.
I don't think Waddle Dees are meant to be specific characters... HAL seems to consider Waddle Dee as a species in general more than as a specific character, so it doesn't really matter if the K64 one is the same or not... it's kinda like Yoshi in Mario, or Toad... there are multiple of them and it's not important if that specific Yoshi or Toad you meet in a game is the same you meet in another.

Anyway, I see a bright future for Adeleine, Ribbon and all the characters from the Dark Matter trilogy who have been neglected for so long.
They are appearing in promotional stuff and merchandise, HAL seems to have finally accepted them and I'm sure we'll see them again and again, even in future games.

On the subject of the "couple", I like them together, but I also don't mind Adeleine alone. I'm not a big fan of Ribbon alone because I think she's a bit limited since she doesn't seem to have any fighting skill... as an NPC she could work well though; my only problem is that she's supposed to live on a different planet so she needs an excuse to be there... but if you pair her with Adeleine, the excuse might even just be their friendship, no need for futher explanations.
After all, the idea of Adeleine & Ribbon being a duo character similar to Cream & Cheese in Sonic, isn't that bad IMO... but I'd like if Ribbon was more involved in the moveset than just fly and crystal gun (the cutscenes of Kirby 64 have shown some more interesting powers of the crystals that can be adapted to gameplay).

----------------------------

Now to change topic:
While looking at some posts on the Kirby subreddit, I have found this link with an interesting analysis of the Ado/Adeleine thing.
https://kaialone.tumblr.com/post/182877726465/kirby-translations-ado-adeleine-the
I don't really agree with the speculation part, I don't think they wanted to leave it completely open at all, I think they heavily implied that Ado and Adeleine are the same character, so even if there isn't an explicit confirmation yet, it's pretty obvious that HAL is considering them to be the same, and making up theories that say otherwise is just overcomplicating and overthinking (dataminers even discovered that she has been internally referenced as Ado in the source files of a game, it was the title of her song in Fighters Deluxe or Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, I can't remember now; and there's Ado's Painter too).
Though the article is interesting regardless.

The fact that Adeleine calls Kirby with a nickname (that IMO shouldn't be translated with a meme -.-) is funny and matches with the Ado nickname thing.
It's nice to find those small details about her personality when so little is known about her.

----------------------------

Final part of the post:
the color thing...
For the 27th anniversary of Kirby (I'm not sure though), HAL published a video on Twitter. It's very cute, especially the part when all the characters throw the heart following the rhythm of the song (makes me think of Rhythm Heaven!)
This video is odd though...
I mean, everything is normal, except Adeleine.
Why did they change Adeleine's color? Why is she more yellow-ish than her recent redesign?
The color shown in the video is very reminiscient of Ado's version of the character. It's basically the shade of green she had in the credits of Dream Land 3.
It seems that they purposely applied a filter on her, and only on her... (is especially noticeable because in the same scene she appears in both colors, it's so obvious that they edited it).
During the victory dance scene, she's still of a different green, but a darker shade; everything seems to have a slighty reddish filter here but Adeleine still has a more yellowish shade of green than usual, it's not her normal color; it looks different than the other one too, as if the filter applied here is even different.
Then, in the HAL logo scene, she's back to normal.
So why did they edit the colors of this character specifically? Is there a reason for that?

I don't know the actual reason for this, but it makes me hope they are still working on the character (similar to when they changed Metaknight's eyes from white to yellow) because they still have plans for her. I hope this means that they will feature her in more games from now.

Or maybe they just wanted to reference how in the previous games her design changed several times even in the same game :mad088:

Last edited:

BlueBird23

Smash Rookie
Oh that's interesting...
There's a chance that instead of using Kirby 64, they use Star Allies as base game, so the spirits would be all the Dream Friends... most of them already have a spirit in the game, but none of them use the Star Allies artworks, it can be a case like the Eevee and Pikachu spirits from Let's Go.
The thing is that Star Allies already has a spirit in the game, The Three Mage-Sisters . Only Kirby 64 is totally absent of the mainline games.
PS, your art is very cute. I especially love the background.

On the subject of the "couple", I like them together, but I also don't mind Adeleine alone. I'm not a big fan of Ribbon alone because I think she's a bit limited since she doesn't seem to have any fighting skill... as an NPC she could work well though; my only problem is that she's supposed to live on a different planet so she needs an excuse to be there... but if you pair her with Adeleine, the excuse might even just be their friendship, no need for futher explanations.
After all, the idea of Adeleine & Ribbon being a duo character similar to Cream & Cheese in Sonic, isn't that bad IMO... but I'd like if Ribbon was more involved in the moveset than just fly and crystal gun (the cutscenes of Kirby 64 have shown some more interesting powers of the crystals that can be adapted to gameplay).
I think my issue with making them a duo is that they both have more in common with Kirby than each other, and they shine as characters more as support for the main characters than as two parts of one partnership. Adeleine is depicted as a free spirit that can get along with nearly anyone, and her personality and abilities make her a natural support character for Kirby. Her shortcomings (namely no flight) can also be overcome with some creative drawing, as we see in Kirby 64's concept art and her Kracko painting in Star Allies... And she lives in the clouds. Ribbon, however, was made specifically to be paired with Kirby as his friend and supporter. While she was also friends with Adeleine, Dedede, and Waddle Dee, and it's nice seeing them all hang out, seeing her become more Adeleine's friend than Kirby's is a little sad. She's his only real love interest, too. I also think it puts too much creative limitation on the characters, as they both have a lot more potential to grow as individual characters and members of the greater cast without an artificial partnership that binds them together. Adeleine is also very quintessentially human, which makes her seem very alien on Pop Star, and pairing her up with a fairy more so than the main characters diminishes that aspect of her character a little bit. The partnership makes sense for Star Allies, since every character represents a specific game, but it would be far too limiting for Adeleine and Ribbon if they stayed partners-in-crime going forward. Especially in the context of Smash Bros. I don't want Adeleine & Ribbon to become Rosalina & Luma. I want to see Adeleine use her powers in creative ways, and for her weaknesses (poor mobility, frail) to balance out the more powerful aspects of her paintings that become real.

The fact that Adeleine calls Kirby with a nickname (that IMO shouldn't be translated with a meme -.-) is funny and matches with the Ado nickname thing.
It's nice to find those small details about her personality when so little is known about her.
I think calling Kirby "Kirb" or even "Little Kirb" is a faithful translation that fits her nicknaming scheme and less formal, more tomboyish personality that we've seen so far. Ka-kun doesn't translate very well. She can't call him "Kir" because it sounds like the term "cur." And Kirb is just a shortening of Kirby, not necessarily a meme. I've called him Kirb in the past. It's also worth mentioning that in almost all manga, she refers to King Dedede as "Dede no Dan'na" which translates even worse that Ka-kun. That could be taken as "Sir Dede," "Master Dede," or just simply "Dede." It's a little sad that her alliterative nicknames don't translate very well, but that's true of much of Kirby's punny Japanese origins.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I use to come here often as a lurker and now that i have an account, i'm ready to support her 100 % !

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
PS, your art is very cute. I especially love the background.
Thank you! :kirby:

I think calling Kirby "Kirb" or even "Little Kirb" is a faithful translation that fits her nicknaming scheme and less formal, more tomboyish personality that we've seen so far. Ka-kun doesn't translate very well. She can't call him "Kir" because it sounds like the term "cur." And Kirb is just a shortening of Kirby, not necessarily a meme. I've called him Kirb in the past. It's also worth mentioning that in almost all manga, she refers to King Dedede as "Dede no Dan'na" which translates even worse that Ka-kun. That could be taken as "Sir Dede," "Master Dede," or just simply "Dede." It's a little sad that her alliterative nicknames don't translate very well, but that's true of much of Kirby's punny Japanese origins.
Maybe it's because I usually I see "Kirb" used for that meme of the Classic Kirby plush with a knife... anyway, if there are no better way to translate it...
I personally would go for something like "Kir-Buddy" and "Dede-Boss", but I'm not sure if they sound well enough. It's hard to translate those into other languages though, especially the Kirby nickname... Kirby is already a short name and sounds like a nickname.

I wonder what nickname she would give to the other friends of Kirby...

I use to come here often as a lurker and now that i have an account, i'm ready to support her 100 % !
Welcome to the thread! Thank you for supporting!

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
B
Thank you! :kirby:

Maybe it's because I usually I see "Kirb" used for that meme of the Classic Kirby plush with a knife... anyway, if there are no better way to translate it...
I personally would go for something like "Kir-Buddy" and "Dede-Boss", but I'm not sure if they sound well enough. It's hard to translate those into other languages though, especially the Kirby nickname... Kirby is already a short name and sounds like a nickname.

I wonder what nickname she would give to the other friends of Kirby...

Welcome to the thread! Thank you for supporting!
She'd call Bandana Dee : "Dee Dawg" :shades:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Ribbon can be Riby
Magolor, Mago (wich means magician in Italian by the way)
Gooey...? Goo-Goo?
I think the animal friends are impossible or almost...

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Yeah, not sure we should devolve into a nickname thread. Not exactly worth it if you ask me.
IMO it's totally fine as long as it's something related to the character.
I would agree with you if we started filling a whole page with nickname posts, but 4 posts is far from being a problem.
Not every post has to be a wall of text (and usually I'm the one who makes those).

And anyway, aside of Taranza and Daroach, we pretty much covered everyone, so there isn't much more to say on the subject.

EDIT:

Well, there's something about nicknames I want to talk about.
As I said before, Susie uses nicknames too... her real name is Susanna Patrya Haltmann, Susie is just a nickname,,, she also calls Kirby "Pink Demon" if I remember well... pretty much the same trait as Adeleine, maybe a bit more edgy. Too bad they never got a chance to explore this trait more with Adeleine, I'm not even sure if they will keep it now that she's been reintroduced in the modern series, given how another character does the same.
Though they kept Magolor and Marx with a similar personality so maybe it's not a problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought of some ideas for alt colors
1) Default

Reference to her palette swaps in the 100 yard hop mini game in Kirby 64
2) Pink Hat, Purple Shirt
3) Brown Hat, Orange Shirt
4) Yellow Hat, Blue Shirt

References her palette swaps in Kirby Star Allies
5)Dark Blue Hat, Light Blue Shirt
6)Orange Hat, Yellow Shirt
7)Dark Green Hat, Lime Green Shirt

8)Her outfit in Kirbys Dream Land 3

UserKev

Smash Champion
Adeleine would be fun. Something about her is.. I want to solve this mystery. :grin:

Glad to know she's known, I support.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Adeleine has all my support... but I don't think she's coming to Ultimate. Maybe the next one.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Adeleine has all my support... but I don't think she's coming to Ultimate. Maybe the next one.
This kind of comments are hurtful. We have to support the characters NOW for THIS game. If we don't believe in the chances of our characters then we aren't really supporting them.

Also, nice avatar lol. Full pic?

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
We'll see. I am beginning to worry about the possibilities, though. The fact that all of the Fighters Pass so far has been third-party and have separate DLC boards is concerning.
But if that's true, that's super frustrating. The only reason I had eyes on the DLC was to fill in missing spots for old franchises, not to introduce new ones. I didn't really want to support this game in the first place, but I was gifted the game during the Holidays and was hoping for a repeat of the Star Allies saga. Maybe this happened for some, but not for me.
Anyway, truth be told, I support Adeleine for Smash with all my heart, especially now, but I somewhat wonder if paying for her is a good idea. I'd gladly spend to have a character I like in the roster, but perhaps this won't be the case for the majority. What I REALLY want is another free character update that adds her into the game ala Star Allies. I'd probably even take a late spirit.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We'll see. I am beginning to worry about the possibilities, though. The fact that all of the Fighters Pass so far has been third-party and have separate DLC boards is concerning.
But if that's true, that's super frustrating. The only reason I had eyes on the DLC was to fill in missing spots for old franchises, not to introduce new ones. I didn't really want to support this game in the first place, but I was gifted the game during the Holidays and was hoping for a repeat of the Star Allies saga. Maybe this happened for some, but not for me.
Anyway, truth be told, I support Adeleine for Smash with all my heart, especially now, but I somewhat wonder if paying for her is a good idea. I'd gladly spend to have a character I like in the roster, but perhaps this won't be the case for the majority. What I REALLY want is another free character update that adds her into the game ala Star Allies. I'd probably even take a late spirit.
Let's not forget that there has been a WOL datamine that showed extra slots sometime ago, so if they are used, that theoretically leaves us with 10 more chances. Also, I find it a bit curious that they didn't add any bonus Kirby spirits at all, not even for the recent Epic Yarn remake.

Finally, you gotta remember that including third party characters had to not be very cheap. Just look at other Nintendo games; both Splatoon, and Star Allies had free DLC, and neither of those had third-party content as DLC (well, Splatoon has Splatfests based on licensed stuff, but that's the extent of it since those are limited events). One's gotta avoid diminishing returns.

In the meantime...

vwRFTkL.png

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
This kind of comments are hurtful. We have to support the characters NOW for THIS game. If we don't believe in the chances of our characters then we aren't really supporting them.

It's something I made in the Stage Builder. I focused more on the visual aspect than playability in this one

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Added the new supporters to the list, sorry for being a bit late.
Also, UserKev UserKev you are the supporter number 64, be proud of this.

I agree with both Sebas22 Sebas22 and Princess_Ashley Princess_Ashley , I think that despite the missing spirit theory and all, evidence is pointing toward the possibility that all the DLCs in the fighter pass will be from third party companies.

Anyway, likely or not, I think that we should support her. Showing that there's demand for the character may result in more appearances of the character in the Kirby franchise, and maybe in Smash too, sooner or later.

This said, everything is still possible, Sakurai is unpredictable as always, and the last 2 characters aren't leaked yet as far as I know (there are some rumors but they are most likely fake). The only thing that I want to highlight is that the DLC section of the site lists Piranha Plant along with the other DLCs, even if it's not part of the fighter pass... and Piranha Plant is a Nintendo character, so by fact, the DLC characters aren't all third party because one of them is already not.

One thing for sure: the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Adeleine would be a great character in Smash, both visually (animations, effects, character design and art style) and moveset-wise.

I'd gladly spend to have a character I like in the roster
I already have the money for a single character on my Nintendo account (left from the WiiU times); I don't have Switch yet but I'm ready to buy Smash+Adeleine DLC in case it will come out for real. Usually I'm against paid DLCs; but I have been waiting for Adeleine in Smash since too long, so I would instantly buy the DLC no matter what.

I agree that the general audience may not care of her, some may not even know her, but I think that she could still sell well if she's so unique that people would want to try her even just out of curiosity. Adeleine has a lot of potential, she can be a very special character.

It wouldn't be the same case for a Mii costume... just like I skipped the Geno one despite being a Geno supporter (kinda), I'd skip the Adeleine one as well, simply because I don't like Miis in general, even if they're dressed as a character that I like. I'd still be happy that she would be represented though.

Unrelated, but I think that I'll publish the complete hanafuda artwork regardless of if Adeleine is a DLC or not (the one from some posts above is still missing a small Smash-related detail that I purposely removed), but only when the last character will be revealed.

A final question:
What color would they use for Adeleine in the DLC banner/icon on the Smash website?
That green of her dress has already been used for Piranha Plant already, Joker is red and Hero is purple... Banjo will most likely be yellow.
I think Adeleine could be pink (especially if Ribbon is with her)... or sky light-blue, the color of her paintbrush; or even white (like the canvas).
Pink or light-blue are the most likely IMO, since they were the colors of the pattern in the background of Kirby 64's boxart in the two versions (Japanese and occidental).

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Huh, the Ado/Adeleine situation seems most similar to the one with Lolo(lo) and Lala(la).
Must just be a HAL Labs thing.

But yeah, Adele is one of my favorite characters to play with in Star Allies and I even thought about how easy it would be to port her tricks over to smash(heck, the canvas swapping idle animation she does in SA now shares similarities with DQ Hero' Spell select) and she doesn't have a Spirit in game either...

Support.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Yeah. We shouldn't be pessimistic. I know how that feels.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The Kirby Twitter is teasing something...
After a decently long time of low activity (most posts were related to merchandise and little to no about games, references to Kirby Star Allies were removed from the page), they started teasing something again.

There's a new series of tweets where King Dedede talks about the characters of the series, one different character each week: so far he talked about himself, Kirby and Waddle Dee (regular), the next is likely Metaknight, then they will probably move to side characters, there's an high chance they'll talk about Adeleine too.

Also, they opened a new page on the official (Japanese) site of Kirby, with a showcase of all Kirby's abilities... they published some and the others are locked, all the the locked abilities are getting actived after a tweet dedicated to said ability, they are doing one of these each day.

I suspect there's some news upcoming, maybe a new game or something...

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Can you link the tweet to us?
It's more than one tweet. I can link the first one in the series, but if you really want to follow the rest, I suggest to follow the Kirby Twitter page instead:

https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP

This is the first tweet:

I'll link the one with Adeleine as soon as they will publish it, unless someone else does it before me (assuming that they will actually do a tweet about Adeleine... I hope they will).

EDIT: new post, Whispy Woods.
So it seems they are focusing on the characters of Kirby's Dream Land 1 or something... not sure what they will do after this... I expect a post about Kracko too, since he's just as recurring as Whispy if not more (but I'm not sure if they would do 2 posts consecutively about bosses).

EDIT2: Not doing a double post for this, because it can mean nothing, but...
Twitter again, they made another post... I don't really understand why, but it's Adeleine related:

"ジャマハローア。 最近くちびるペンギンが出しゃばってるが…私だ、ザン・パルルティザーヌだ! 実は『スターアライズ』にドロッチェ、ダークメタナイト、アドレーヌ&リボンが登場して早1年。感慨深いな…。 この夏、皆も冒険に出てはどうかな。"

Google Translation:

"Jamah Hello. Recently there has been a penguin coming up ... I'm San Parrutisane! In fact, it has been a year since Droche, Dark Meta Night, Adrene & Ribbon appeared in "Star Arise". I'm impressed .... I hope everyone is out on the adventure this summer. "

San Parrutisane is obviously Zan Partizanne, the post is celebrating the fact that Daroach, Dark Meta Knignt and Adeleine have been added to Star Allies one year ago. The point is, that's the only post about this type of celebration so far, wave 1 didn't get that post as far as I know. What does that mean?
Also, "Recently there has been a penguin coming up", is a reference to those Dedede posts that talk about the characters of the series, so, apparently there is a connection. What are they hinting to? Why this wave specifically? I'm interested (it will probably require a couple of months or three before figuring out).

Last edited:
Top Bottom