• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Consider me a supporter. Kirby 64 was the first game I played. Boy was my perception of the series very different from what it actually was, because there's just no other Kirby game like it, except for maybe Dreamland 3. I thought there was only one Waddle Dee, and he was like the Luigi to Kirby's Mario or something. I thought Dedede was a stoic loner type character because of his eyes and demeanor. And I thought Adeline was a series regular.

There's been several Kirby characters introduced before this and since this but none of them were really as interesting to me as Adeline. I'm kind of bummed out that it took this long for her to make a comeback.

I'll never be able to underestand this kind of mindset. Fighting games should have as many characters as they can. And crossover history lessons like Smash especially should keep most of the characters unless they're deemed not very important, and there's few characters on the roster I'd consider not important enough for Smash. Even the characters I don't personally like are characters that I can fight against.
Partly due to cultural habit, there's been a pretty big disconnect from the various directors who worked on the franchise, since they typically didn't reuse any noteworthy characters outside of the core three. :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: It wasn't until RTDL onwards that there's been a gradual attempt at gathering them back and reconciliating various elements, so the series has been aimless until that point. And it was a pity she didn't become playable in 64 as originally intended. That said, welcome to the artist's studio!

The nice thing about Smash is that every character that makes it gets a kind of immunity. It doesn't matter if they get cut from a game or two, they can always come back in a future entry. The original 12 are a universal constant, of course.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Partly due to cultural habit, there's been a pretty big disconnect from the various directors who worked on the franchise, since they typically didn't reuse any noteworthy characters outside of the core three. :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: It wasn't until RTDL onwards that there's been a gradual attempt at gathering them back and reconciliating various elements, so the series has been aimless until that point. And it was a pity she didn't become playable in 64 as originally intended. That said, welcome to the artist's studio!

The nice thing about Smash is that every character that makes it gets a kind of immunity. It doesn't matter if they get cut from a game or two, they can always come back in a future entry. The original 12 are a universal constant, of course.
Again, the designers implied in their "next phase" comment that somehow the next Kirby title is going to be different than the ones we currently have. I wonder if that means instead of focusing on just Kirby, they'll expand on the series and feature/stare more characters.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Again, the designers implied in their "next phase" comment that somehow the next Kirby title is going to be different than the ones we currently have. I wonder if that means instead of focusing on just Kirby, they'll expand on the series and feature/stare more characters.
I didn't hear anything about a "next phase" comment, what's this about? Was it in one of the spoilers?

I mean, the idea that they want to try something new is not that surprising. Star Allies had a complicated development cycle and has released a bunch of new implications that changed the nature of many Kirby theories. It definitely feels like they've used Star Allies as the launching point for something. But what could this comment mean? A 3D Kirby game? A proper action fighter to make up for Battle Royale? A Kirby Air Ride sequel with every Dream Friend?!
There's a lot they could do, I just hope they keep remembering Adeleine in the process.

Also, I totally missed Page 12. Speculation is fierce right now, isn't it?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I didn't hear anything about a "next phase" comment, what's this about? Was it in one of the spoilers?

I mean, the idea that they want to try something new is not that surprising. Star Allies had a complicated development cycle and has released a bunch of new implications that changed the nature of many Kirby theories. It definitely feels like they've used Star Allies as the launching point for something. But what could this comment mean? A 3D Kirby game? A proper action fighter to make up for Battle Royale? A Kirby Air Ride sequel with every Dream Friend?!
There's a lot they could do, I just hope they keep remembering Adeleine in the process.

Also, I totally missed Page 12. Speculation is fierce right now, isn't it?
One of the soundtrack added in the wave 3 update was "A Farewell to Kirby." People saw this and a rumor spread that Star Allies was going to be the last Kirby game. The dev team cleared this up, stating the next Kirby title is already in development and they'll be transitioning to the "next phase" of the Kirby series.

Also, I don't know if this has been said before, but King Dedede's victory animation does feature the Waddle Dee in it, just only when he's by himself. This doesn't hurt Dee's chances, just felt like throwing this out there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Who knows? I wouldn't mind side mini-games like Dedede's Drum Dash if they can't do something bolder than that in terms of spin-offs. All we know of that's coming right now is the Epic Yarn port, so I doubt that game'll be the next year's quota.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Who knows? I wouldn't mind side mini-games like Dedede's Drum Dash if they can't do something bolder than that in terms of spin-offs. All we know of that's coming right now is the Epic Yarn port, so I doubt that game'll be the next year's quota.
It can't be. What's amazing about being a Kirby fan is that there's usually 2-3 new titles each year. They seriously crank out these games.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So, how big is the chance of getting Adeleine as DLC now?

I have read a lot of comments about a Reggie quote.
They say that Reggie announced that all the characters will come from new franchises, unrepresented in Smash...
Though someone posted the actual quote, and it seems to imply a different thing:
he said that all the characters will be new to the series... (he probably meant new to Smash).
The characters will be new, not their series... I guess he meant unique, something never seen before (they will probably all have unique gameplay gimmicks).
The point of his sentence was that they will be unexpected; they insist saying that all the DLC characters will be unexpected.

So, what about Adeleine?

The reveal of Joker and the ambiguous quote from Reggie affect her chance both positively and negatively:

Positively
-New to Smash may mean that the character does not appear in the game in any form (not even as a spirit). Adeleine is not a spirit.
-The thing that they will all come from unrepresented series seem to be just a misconception.
-Adeleine has potential for unique gameplay, bringing to Smash something new (new to the series).
-The fact that the newcomers will be unexpected leaves the most requested characters out, because they wouldn't be unexpected.
-Adeleine is definitely unexpected.

Negatively

-In case with new he meant new series/third parties, then it's unlikely to get a Kirby newcomer.
-Despite the fact that Nintendo selected the characters, a third party with little connections to Nintendo has been revealed: this suggests that Nintendo selecting the characters doesn't mean more first parties, and that it's even possible that most, if not all of the DLCs will be third parties.
-Apparently Joker can summon a Persona. I don't know how this will be implemented in gameplay, but it is possible that he will be a summoner, stealing that role to Adeleine (I doubt they will put 2 summoners in 5 characters, especially if they want them to be unique).
-I have the suspect that they will try to cater to Sony and Microsoft fans more than to Nintendo fans, because, this way, they introduce those people to Smash, where they can learn about Nintendo, their characters and their games, and become Nintendo fans too.
This makes sense marketing-wise, and if this is true, it's possible that all the DLCs have been chosen with Sony/Microsoft players in mind, lowering the chance of getting someone like Adeleine.

So if we only consider Nintendo characters, by not being a spirit, her chance is still higher than usual, along with Porky and Sylux (and someone else), but this may not be enough, especially if we also consider third parties that will probably be the focus of the DLCs.
I would say that she has something between 20 to 30% of chance of happening: not too bad, but too low for starting to rise our expectations or getting hyped.

I have a final observation:
It may mean nothing, but just before Joker was announced, the Joker support thread had a very similar amount of posts as this thread right now (more or less).
Isabelle's thread was around 400 posts too, though we were at 300 at the time, if I remember well.
Yeah, this is pointless I know.

I hope that Adeleine will be one of the final 4 DLCs, though my hopes are fading more and more with the time.

D

Deleted member

Here's a point in Adeleine's favor: the new painting mechanic in Smash. Similar to how water/windbox mechanics new to Brawl were not wasted on one character (both Mario and Squirtle could spray water), they may give another character the painting mechanic that Inkling has (apart from a boss that also has it).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A few more points in her favor, potentially:

1) I find it unlikely that they'd reveal two characters from the same series at the same time (unless the wave does really well enough to have a second one approved by Ninty, anyway). It's either Addy or the Dee, one spot only, Final Destination.

2) As I had suspected, it seems that they've kicked off this round of DLC without relying on showing off an unfinished model, so it stands to reason that they'll use trailers more often this time. If that's the case, Addy could have a reveal trailer done by HAL, in the style of the modern Kirby entries.

3) The relative recency of Joker's origins compared to nearly everyone else shows that Nintendo and Sakurai don't limit themselves to anyone that's been considered before 2015, unlike with the base roster (except for Incineroar, whose debut was in the same year as Joker), so it's possible that they might have paid attention to Addy's reception in Star Allies.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Gonna say it: Addy is probably more likely than Dee at this point. All I want is just one Kirby newcomer so Sakurai can recognize us. It's been over a decade.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Gonna say it: Addy is probably more likely than Dee at this point. All I want is just one Kirby newcomer so Sakurai can recognize us. It's been over a decade.
I think this is technically true, but I'm extremely concerned that the bar has now been set too high. If the rest of the DLC are heavy hitters, no Kirby rep stands a chance, let alone Ado.

I could easily talk of my problem with the lack of new Kirby reps, something I specifically asked them to fix in the ballot days. However, my current focus is for Adeleine to get representation, the lack of her in Smash has nagged me for years. I don't care if she's an afterthought DLC spirit, I would gladly take that over the current build.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think this is technically true, but I'm extremely concerned that the bar has now been set too high. If the rest of the DLC are heavy hitters, no Kirby rep stands a chance, let alone Ado.

I could easily talk of my problem with the lack of new Kirby reps, something I specifically asked them to fix in the ballot days. However, my current focus is for Adeleine to get representation, the lack of her in Smash has nagged me for years. I don't care if she's an afterthought DLC spirit, I would gladly take that over the current build.
Bandana Dee is the only heavy hitting Kirby fighter I can think of. Marx, Magolor, Addy and Gooey would be semi-heavy. But I'm pretty sure we're getting all third parties, and judging by his bis toward pre-Sakurai Kirby of modern Kriby, the next Kirby rep will probably be one Sakurai himself designed.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice

I don't think a bunch of third parties are "heavy hitters", personally.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't think a bunch of third parties are "heavy hitters", personally.
Me neither. I dislike the idea of having more than 2-3 third parties. The only third party characters I'd welcome are PAC MAN, Master Chief, de Blob and he Belmonts. Any combination of 2-3 of those would be fine by me. Not 11 third parties with 4 more to go.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Bandana Dee is the only heavy hitting Kirby fighter I can think of. Marx, Magolor, Addy and Gooey would be semi-heavy. But I'm pretty sure we're getting all third parties, and judging by his bis toward pre-Sakurai Kirby of modern Kriby, the next Kirby rep will probably be one Sakurai himself designed.
I don't know really... I think that Magolor and Marx are just as heavy hitters, maybe less requested by the Smash fans, but still very popular and with some nostalgia factor on some people.
(On the other hand, I doubt Gooey would be that much hype of a character).

I'm not sure if Adeleine would be an heavy hitter or not... one day, nobody cares about her, the day after, she's a fan favorite and Twitter explodes because of her... I don't know really.
The main issue is that all those other characters are warriors or wizards from other dimensions who tried to destroy the universe, while Adeleine is just a girl who likes to paint... Probably the other characters are more accepted because they look cooler/more edgy; though, I'm sure that if they will introduce Adeleine in Smash, people would start to appreciate her and she would become a main stay in the roster, in a similar way as what happend to Jigglypuff and the Ice Climbers (they were removed and people wanted them back), and that probably will happen to Isabelle as well.

By the way, I agree about third parties, I don't like them too.
To me, only the iconic classics should be allowed, those who had a big history with Nintendo, not just a cameo in a spin-off game.

Maybe only stuff like Megaman, Bomberman, the classic Final Fantasy characters (Black Mage/White Mage). I can accept Sonic because of the rivality with Mario in the '90s but that's it; characters like Snake, Cloud and Bayonetta are definitely out of place in Smash, and I have the feeling that Joker will be the next one to look that way.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't know really... I think that Magolor and Marx are just as heavy hitters, maybe less requested by the Smash fans, but still very popular and with some nostalgia factor on some people.
(On the other hand, I doubt Gooey would be that much hype of a character).

I'm not sure if Adeleine would be an heavy hitter or not... one day, nobody cares about her, the day after, she's a fan favorite and Twitter explodes because of her... I don't know really.
The main issue is that all those other characters are warriors or wizards from other dimensions who tried to destroy the universe, while Adeleine is just a girl who likes to paint... Probably the other characters are more accepted because they look cooler/more edgy; though, I'm sure that if they will introduce Adeleine in Smash, people would start to appreciate her and she would become a main stay in the roster, in a similar way as what happend to Jigglypuff and the Ice Climbers (they were removed and people wanted them back), and that probably will happen to Isabelle as well.

By the way, I agree about third parties, I don't like them too.
To me, only the iconic classics should be allowed, those who had a big history with Nintendo, not just a cameo in a spin-off game.

Maybe only stuff like Megaman, Bomberman, the classic Final Fantasy characters (Black Mage/White Mage). I can accept Sonic because of the rivality with Mario in the '90s but that's it; characters like Snake, Cloud and Bayonetta are definitely out of place in Smash, and I have the feeling that Joker will be the next one to look that way.
That's true about Magolor and Marx. Apparently Magolor is very popular in Japan.
As for Gooey, he's popular, and some people say he would be better than Dee as a Kirby p4 rep, but they're more of vocal minority if anything.

I agree with everything you said about Addy and 3rd parties.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Happy new year to the thread! Maybe I am getting ahead of myself but I really wonder what Kirby (and Adeleine!) news we will get this year!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Happy new year to the thread! Maybe I am getting ahead of myself but I really wonder what Kirby (and Adeleine!) news we will get this year!
Happy new year!

There are rumors of a Direct on January 10th... it's just a rumor though.
We can expect Kirby Epic Yarn 3DS news... maybe with some luck, one of those character minigames will include Adeleine as well (they have only shown Metaknight and Dedede so far).

Also, new spirits are being added to the game for a limited time through events: they are now adding Mario Party spirits, there's a chance that one day they will do a Kirby Star Allies event and add all the Dream Friends spirits. In that case, Adeleine might have a chance of being included in the game in some form.

That's all for now, excluding the usual hope of Adeleine for DLC.

On a side note: sorry for being inactive, the truth is that I'm not really inactive, I just don't post because I fear of doing the last post and be stuck in a situation where if I want to post again I have to double post.
I almost always read anyway, maybe some hours or days late but I do.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So, how big is the chance of getting Adeleine as DLC now?

I have read a lot of comments about a Reggie quote.
They say that Reggie announced that all the characters will come from new franchises, unrepresented in Smash...
Though someone posted the actual quote, and it seems to imply a different thing:
he said that all the characters will be new to the series... (he probably meant new to Smash).
The characters will be new, not their series... I guess he meant unique, something never seen before (they will probably all have unique gameplay gimmicks).
The point of his sentence was that they will be unexpected; they insist saying that all the DLC characters will be unexpected.

So, what about Adeleine?
The reveal of Joker and the ambiguous quote from Reggie affect her chance both positively and negatively:

Positively
-New to Smash may mean that the character does not appear in the game in any form (not even as a spirit). Adeleine is not a spirit.
-The thing that they will all come from unrepresented series seem to be just a misconception.
-Adeleine has potential for unique gameplay, bringing to Smash something new (new to the series).
-The fact that the newcomers will be unexpected leaves the most requested characters out, because they wouldn't be unexpected.

Negatively
-In case with new he meant new series/third parties, then it's unlikely to get a Kirby newcomer.
-Despite the fact that Nintendo selected the characters, a third party with little connections to Nintendo has been revealed: this suggests that Nintendo selecting the characters doesn't mean more first parties, and that it's even possible that most, if not all of the DLCs will be third parties.
-Apparently Joker can summon a Persona. I don't know how this will be implemented in gameplay, but it is possible that he will be a summoner, stealing that role to Adeleine (I doubt they will put 2 summoners in 5 characters, especially if they want them to be unique).
-I have the suspect that they will try to cater to Sony and Microsoft fans more than to Nintendo fans, because, this way, they introduce those people to Smash, where they can learn about Nintendo, their characters and their games, and become Nintendo fans too.
This makes sense marketing-wise, and if this is true, it's possible that all the DLCs have been chosen with Sony/Microsoft players in mind, lowering the chance of getting someone like Adeleine.

So if we only consider Nintendo characters, by not being a spirit, her chance is still higher than usual, along with Porky and Sylux (and someone else), but this may not be enough, especially if we also consider third parties that will probably be the focus of the DLCs.
I would say that she has something between 20 to 30% of chance of happening: not too bad, but too low for starting to rise our expectations or getting hyped.

I have a final observation:
It may mean nothing, but just before Joker was announced, the Joker support thread had a very similar amount of posts as this thread right now (more or less).
Isabelle's thread was around 400 posts too, though we were at 300 at the time, if I remember well.
Yeah, this is pointless I know.

I hope that Adeleine will be one of the final 4 DLCs, though my hopes are fading more and more with the time.
I know this is a little old but I thought I would hop in here and say, I don't think I would take anything Reggie said at face value. He is there to market the game not design it so he's just saying things that will get hype. Hes going to use words like "new" and "unexpected" because those are the things that get people talking, i.e. see basically every Smash thread talking about what he said.

This is one of those arguments that really doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. To say that because someone is expected they are now no longer expected, wouldn't that make them unexpected again?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I know this is a little old but I thought I would hop in here and say, I don't think I would take anything Reggie said at face value. He is there to market the game not design it so he's just saying things that will get hype. Hes going to use words like "new" and "unexpected" because those are the things that get people talking, i.e. see basically every Smash thread talking about what he said.

This is one of those arguments that really doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. To say that because someone is expected they are now no longer expected, wouldn't that make them unexpected again?
While you have a point, I'm still convinced that they have chosen the DLC characters without using fan input.

It's not just Reggie's comment, it's several tweets, comments, interviews and stuff.

-Sakurai's tweets, where he said that all DLCs have been chosen by Nintendo, and asks the fans to stop flooding the posts with character requests (a sort of nice way to say, "we don't care of your requests, we do what we want").
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958663316615168

-An interview or something, I can't remember but I'm sure I have read it, where someone, probably Reggie but I can't remember, commented on those tweets of Sakurai confirming that the DLC selection is not influenced by fan demand, and that even if people asked for Waluigi they wouldn't be influenced by that (if I remember well they mentioned Waluigi specifically)
(I can't find the thing)

-This guy from Treehouse who said that the DLC characters are going to be surprises just like Piranha Plant:
https://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-exe...s-ultimate-dlc-says-fans-wont-want-to-miss-it
(I know that this is just marketing, but they seem to insist on the words "surprise" and "unexpected", I'd say they focus too much on those words for being just a marketing gimmick)

-This other article:
https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros
Here Sakurai says that he doesn't focus on "surprise" because it fades out in a short time after the announcement, though he comments on the reasons why Piranha Plant was chosen, and the way how he talks about it suggests that it has been chosen by Sakurai and his team, not by "Nintendo" whatever it means (also fan demand has not been taken in consideration).
What does it mean? That the tweet saying that the characters have been chosen by Nintendo means nothing aside of "your requests are not being taken in consideration".

-then there is that Reggie comment

-and Joker's announcement, a character who was seen as unlikely and didn't have much support because of that.

My point is, I don't think they are selecting the characters in order to surprise us, I just think they are selecting the characters for reasons which fan demand is not part of.
This means that it's not impossible to get a fan requested character if it meets those selection criterias, though it's very unlikely, and even if one manages to make it in the game, it won't be due to fan demand.

The comment about unexpected characters that you quoted was refered to this: by unexpected I mean a character who doesn't have much fan support. Being expected/unexpected due to some fan speculation doesn't change the amount of supporters a character has (aside of a small percentage of bandwagon).

For example, we can expect Sylux due to Metroid Prime 4 being on the way and the missing spirit, though it would still be an unexpected character to people who aren't into speculation, and there aren't many vocal Sylux supporters in social networks to increase the character's popularity, as far as I know.

To make it short, I think we are not getting Waluigi, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Geno and stuff like that, but that's just my opinion, I may be wrong (especially on Geno, something still tells me that he's coming despite everything seems to be against him at the moment, including the spirits and the "leaks").

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different subject: what if Adeleine happens to be one of those paid Mii costumes?
I don't know how I would react...
But I fear the Vince costume already took the artist "swordman" token.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Looking back, 2018 was a rollercoaster of emotions. I wouldn't say it ended on a high note, but it was far from the downward spiral it almost became. Now 2019 is upon us, and... I don't know what to think.

In terms of Smash, my fears of excessive third-parties are still present... I still expect at least one new Nintendo rep. Hopefully one of the updates will at least have Adeleine as a new spirit. I would love a fighter, but there's enough a spirit battle could do to replicate her traits.

As for everything else, I'm not entirely confident about Adeleine's presence this year. Whether she'll appear again in future is somewhat up in the air... I think it would make sense to have her as the healer of the next mainline game, rather than Bandana Dee. But I'm not convinced she'll make a cameo in Extra Epic Yarn, and for all we know that may be this year's only Kirby game. Of course, I hope Adeleine at least shows up in the Kirby marketing some more. It would be great to obtain a plushie of her that I don't have to bid for.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Looking back, 2018 was a rollercoaster of emotions. I wouldn't say it ended on a high note, but it was far from the downward spiral it almost became. Now 2019 is upon us, and... I don't know what to think.

In terms of Smash, my fears of excessive third-parties are still present... I still expect at least one new Nintendo rep. Hopefully one of the updates will at least have Adeleine as a new spirit. I would love a fighter, but there's enough a spirit battle could do to replicate her traits.

As for everything else, I'm not entirely confident about Adeleine's presence this year. Whether she'll appear again in future is somewhat up in the air... I think it would make sense to have her as the healer of the next mainline game, rather than Bandana Dee. But I'm not convinced she'll make a cameo in Extra Epic Yarn, and for all we know that may be this year's only Kirby game. Of course, I hope Adeleine at least shows up in the Kirby marketing some more. It would be great to obtain a plushie of her that I don't have to bid for.
I as well hope that she will stay as the healer...
That was part of her role in Kirby 64, then that role was given to BWD in the 3DS games, but now she has been reintroduced to the modern fans, and she has an new updated design along with a new 3D model, it would make sense to use her more often (not necessarily with Ribbon, I think that she would work better alone if used as the healer in the background of a level).
I'd like to have her as playable or as a boss, but every Kirby game usually introduces new characters and often there is no space for the old ones, so i'd be perfectly happy if Adeleine would stay as the healer even if she is not playable and has no role in the story.

About merchandise, I hope Adeleine shows more as well, though the situation is not really much promising.
When I saw this tweet and I noticed that every major character appears in those things except for Adeleine/Ribbon, I got an horrible deja-vu of Adeleine's dark age that lasted for 18 years.
Being a playable Dream Friend is ok, but I really want her to stay as a recurring character of the series, just as she was intended to be when she was introduced in Kirby's Dream Land 3 and brought back in Kirby 64.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Since there are no spirits whatsoever from Kirby 64, it's not out of the question that we could get some exclusive spirits from an event involving Kirby. Adeline, 02, miracle matter, etc. could be highly likely.

And maybe we'll get boss magolor spirits too but I'm not sure about that one....

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
To make it short, I think we are not getting Waluigi, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Geno and stuff like that, but that's just my opinion, I may be wrong
Yeah I agree with this and with your post in general. Seems Sakurai gave up after K. Rool. I don't think that we are getting any fan requests or that Sakurai cares anymore.

In terms of Smash, my fears of excessive third-parties are still present..
I have already accepted it.

When I saw this tweet and I noticed that every major character appears in those things except for Adeleine/Ribbon, I got an horrible deja-vu of Adeleine's dark age that lasted for 18 years.
Yeah that seems somewhat disheartening. But I think that that merch was made before Adeleine's triumphal return, they just haven't catch up to her yet. Well, I want to believe that.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah I agree with this and with your post in general. Seems Sakurai gave up after K. Rool. I don't think that we are getting any fan requests or that Sakurai cares anymore.

I have already accepted it.

Yeah that seems somewhat disheartening. But I think that that merch was made before Adeleine's triumphal return, they just haven't catch up to her yet. Well, I want to believe that.
It's depressing that we're probably going to get unexpected third part edgelords but I bet we can handle it. I'd say due to her appearance in Star Allies and the likelihood that she'll appear again can help her get into Smash 6 in any way.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So I threw this in the Bandana Dee thread: Since people have made a Sqeenix general thread, should we have one for HAL labs?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So I threw this in the Bandana Dee thread: Since people have made a Sqeenix general thread, should we have one for HAL labs?
I would like a general thread for the Kirby series, where we can discuss together moveset ideas for Kirby characters and stuff... I'm not sure about a general HAL thread... it would be nice to discuss Qbby, Part Time UFO and the Eggerland series, but I fear that the Mother series would shift the focus too much away from Kirby.

I would like a thread where I can post Adeleine related stuff without the problem of inactivity, and post other stuff such as concepts for a playable Chef Kawasaki and more, so I like the idea, as long as Kirby remains the main focus.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I would like a general thread for the Kirby series, where we can discuss together moveset ideas for Kirby characters and stuff... I'm not sure about a general HAL thread... it would be nice to discuss Qbby, Part Time UFO and the Eggerland series, but I fear that the Mother series would shift the focus too much away from Kirby.

I would like a thread where I can post Adeleine related stuff without the problem of inactivity, and post other stuff such as concepts for a playable Chef Kawasaki and more, so I like the idea, as long as Kirby remains the main focus.
It would be nice to talk about HAL Labs related characters generally in a dedicated topic especially those outside of the Kirby pantheon. I kinda had a love/hate relationship with the Eggerland series back in the NES days. Hair pulling difficult, but the theme was catchy and I liked the Lolo character. It probably wouldn't happen since HAL owns the series independently, but I've wanted that it would be made canon that the Eggerland series also takes place on Pop Star, just in a different region, and that the Lolo and Lala are the same as Lololo and Lalala with Lolo and Lala being their established names within the new continuity.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
While you have a point, I'm still convinced that they have chosen the DLC characters without using fan input.

It's not just Reggie's comment, it's several tweets, comments, interviews and stuff.

-Sakurai's tweets, where he said that all DLCs have been chosen by Nintendo, and asks the fans to stop flooding the posts with character requests (a sort of nice way to say, "we don't care of your requests, we do what we want").
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958663316615168

-An interview or something, I can't remember but I'm sure I have read it, where someone, probably Reggie but I can't remember, commented on those tweets of Sakurai confirming that the DLC selection is not influenced by fan demand, and that even if people asked for Waluigi they wouldn't be influenced by that (if I remember well they mentioned Waluigi specifically)
(I can't find the thing)

-This guy from Treehouse who said that the DLC characters are going to be surprises just like Piranha Plant:
https://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-exe...s-ultimate-dlc-says-fans-wont-want-to-miss-it
(I know that this is just marketing, but they seem to insist on the words "surprise" and "unexpected", I'd say they focus too much on those words for being just a marketing gimmick)

-This other article:
https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros
Here Sakurai says that he doesn't focus on "surprise" because it fades out in a short time after the announcement, though he comments on the reasons why Piranha Plant was chosen, and the way how he talks about it suggests that it has been chosen by Sakurai and his team, not by "Nintendo" whatever it means (also fan demand has not been taken in consideration).
What does it mean? That the tweet saying that the characters have been chosen by Nintendo means nothing aside of "your requests are not being taken in consideration".

-then there is that Reggie comment

-and Joker's announcement, a character who was seen as unlikely and didn't have much support because of that.

My point is, I don't think they are selecting the characters in order to surprise us, I just think they are selecting the characters for reasons which fan demand is not part of.
This means that it's not impossible to get a fan requested character if it meets those selection criterias, though it's very unlikely, and even if one manages to make it in the game, it won't be due to fan demand.

The comment about unexpected characters that you quoted was refered to this: by unexpected I mean a character who doesn't have much fan support. Being expected/unexpected due to some fan speculation doesn't change the amount of supporters a character has (aside of a small percentage of bandwagon).

For example, we can expect Sylux due to Metroid Prime 4 being on the way and the missing spirit, though it would still be an unexpected character to people who aren't into speculation, and there aren't many vocal Sylux supporters in social networks to increase the character's popularity, as far as I know.

To make it short, I think we are not getting Waluigi, Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Geno and stuff like that, but that's just my opinion, I may be wrong (especially on Geno, something still tells me that he's coming despite everything seems to be against him at the moment, including the spirits and the "leaks").

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different subject: what if Adeleine happens to be one of those paid Mii costumes?
I don't know how I would react...
But I fear the Vince costume already took the artist "swordman" token.
Seeing how you're explaining this now I agree, though I think people are being a little too pessimistic concerning "fan picks." Nintendo still wants to make money so its not like they aren't going to want to get popular characters, its just that the Smash community seems to latch on to these fairly obscure characters for their "requests." Even then the fact that we got K. Rool, Ridley, and even Chrom and Dark Samus to an extent show that Nintendo is trying to give the fans what they want when what they want isn't dumb lol.

If I had to guess we will see one DLC character who could be described as a "fan pick," IMO probably someone like Banjo or Crash. They will do this so they can say that this person got in because of the fan support and help to appease the "nostalgia" fans.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well obviously if all of the DLC fighters are going to be random surprises uninfluenced by fan demand, then we shouldn't get our hopes up for decent Nintendo content anytime soon and prepare so see a bunch of obscure fighters or some Japanese exclusive/JRPG content.

Being serious, however, I hope there's enough demand for recognition that they decide to do wave 2 and that DLC is actually influenced by our requests.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Kirby 64 was the first game I ever played, and looking back, Adeleine was the first character that I ever identified with when I was little, I dont know why, I'm not an artist I just really wanted to look like her when I was little and it really would mean a lot to me if she made it. I support her!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
FooltheFlames FooltheFlames omg that video, it starts as super cutesy and as always, it ends as creepy XD
The beginning reminds me of the opening of an old anime, "Ohayō! Supanku" (I don't know if it has ever been localized in your country, it has been localized as "Hello! Spank" in Italy); I don't even know if it's actually the opening or what, the localized opening is likely edited and maybe it takes some scenes from the Japanese ending, I'm not sure; basically, it occasionally shows watercolor drawings at full screen like in this video when Adeleine does stuff with the other characters.

mbvswb mbvswb Thank you for the support! Anyway, Adeleine influenced me a lot as well... I always loved to draw stuff, and when I have seen Ado/Adeleine's drawings for the first time, I was surprised of how good they looked despite their simplicity. I then decided to experiment more with simpler shapes and color techniques, and I got very interested in minimalist stuff (art, design, interfaces). I think it's all thanks to Adeleine and, in the real world, Shinichi Shimomura and his awesome games (Kirby's Dream Land 3 especially).

An Adeleine spin-off concept I posted in a different thread:
I think Adeleine should get her own spin-off, a puzzle platformer reminiscent of A Boy and His Blob, but with more action.
I imagine it as a game in the style of some indie games, the ones with a big emphasis on the art style and emotions/immersivity.
You have a way to chose among several different drawings to summon (maybe with the use of the touch screen to draw), some of them are support drawings or minions, others can be used as "veichles" and you can ride them, other drawings just change your status, heal you or interact with the level's gimmicks.
Maybe with the overall mood of Canvas Curse, minus the weird electronic music (use stuff more in the style of Dream Land 3 instead, maybe).
As for level gimmicks, I think that it should implement big gimmicks in the style of the ones featured in the Hypernova and Robobot sections in their respective games, maybe with a bigger level of interaction (you can interact with them in several different ways instead of only 1 way like in those 3DS games).
In the next weeks I'll be extremely busy, even more than usual, so expect late replies and absences (I'll try to check here as much as I can anyway).

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr Yeah mayo has a very weird sense of aesthetics and humor, but I do oh so love his deep appreciation of our girl Adeleine~<3 <3

His taste in gifs is always cute tho

ado_wink.gif

( also im sowwy too for not being very active here in a long while ^^; ) I still support Adeleine and think she's the only obvious and viable choice left for our next Kirby rep!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...sh-bros-ultimate-creating-entertainment-more/

I intend to do as much as I can with this Smash Bros – the source of all this endurance being me seeing how amazing other games are! In order for the development scene in Japan to compete with the rest of the world, doing a little just isn’t enough. We’re pushing ourselves to the limit here. In terms of both teams and creative manpower, competition is inevitable, isn’t it? The games I mentioned earlier in the column took a lot to make, and they’re actually fun – I can really appreciate that.
So, even if the pass won't have much, if any, in the way of first-party characters, they may still be on the table as separate DLC if Sakurai remains this dedicated at supporting Ultimate.

Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr Yeah mayo has a very weird sense of aesthetics and humor, but I do oh so love his deep appreciation of our girl Adeleine~<3 <3

His taste in gifs is always cute tho

View attachment 186964

( also im sowwy too for not being very active here in a long while ^^; ) I still support Adeleine and think she's the only obvious and viable choice left for our next Kirby rep!
I certainly didn't expect the turn THAT video took, I'll say.

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
So... I had a dream the other day... There was a trailer about a new smash character... Ans it was Bandanna Dee! D:

But also... Adeleine! By some sort of miracle... Both of the kirby reps were chosen... Apparently Lip was also revealed previously, I remember feeling soooo glad that the fighter pass ended up being good after all.

With only one character left to be revealed, I was really wishing that it was Ashley the one left... Then I woke up ... :(

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So... I had a dream the other day... There was a trailer about a new smash character... Ans it was Bandanna Dee! D:

But also... Adeleine! By some sort of miracle... Both of the kirby reps were chosen... Apparently Lip was also revealed previously, I remember feeling soooo glad that the fighter pass ended up being good after all.

With only one character left to be revealed, I was really wishing that it was Ashley the one left... Then I woke up ... :(
A bit unrealistic, but it would be cool to get all of them.

In the meanwhile, you can play some "Where is Waldo" game except with Adeleine instead of Waldo...

(yes, new Kirby Twitter art with Adeleine in it, sort of).

EDIT: Also I'm happy because it seems that lately Nago and Gooey are getting some love too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom