• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People are saying that Marx is a boss. If so, then that removes possible competition for Adeleine.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Time ago Gamexplain suggested that Marx could have been a boss. They often "predict" stuff, so that's another hint.

Also, apparently a lot of stuff is getting datamined... and
Adeleine is missing in the final list of spirits. I didn't see the list yet, but from what I have read, other characters are also missing, characters who should have been there but they aren't. Also Piranha Plant is missing too. I'm not sure about what this does mean... I want just to say that if she gets completely unrepresented, I'm going to be angry. If her absence instead means that she has a chance to become a DLC instead, I'll be extremely happy.

Now, a little trivia about Adeleine.

"Ado's Painter", a move from Kirby Star Allies, is called "Ade la Pittrice" in the Italian version of the game, that in English translates as "Ade the Painter".
This means that in Italian, Adeleine's nick name is "Ade" instead of "Ado". Luckily, the full name is still Adeleine, they didn't change her name.
The funny part is that, in Italian, Ade also means "Hades", a pretty dark name for her XD
I'm sure that the reference is not intentional, but it's funny regardless.

Back on DLC speculation... this is going to be a very long year... unless Adeleine gets announced early.
If she's not announced instead, we're goint to stay in pain and frustration until 2020 when the final character will be announced.
I don't know if I should be happy that Adeleine has a chance, or sad because I need to wait for more than a year before knowing if Adeleine is in or not.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Adeleine got in, even as a Bandana Dee supporter, I'd be happy to get another Kirby character, and one from one of my childhood favorites (K64). She has a pretty solid resume and could be a really fun fighter. I don't know what to think about her spirit being missing... but I'm open to it.

I could see it being like a Rosalina situation, where she isn't a super obvious choice but is recurring with popularity and moveset potential to be on the table.

I said earlier in this thread that Bandana Dee would have to get in before Adeleine but if somehow the reverse happens, I'll tip my hat.

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I want just to say that if she gets completely unrepresented, I'm going to be angry. If her absence instead means that she has a chance to become a DLC instead, I'll be extremely happy.
Yeah... I would love to believe that Kumazaki somehow talked sense into Nintendo and Sakurai to include Adeleine...... I don't expect that, but would surely love it.

I don't know if I should be happy that Adeleine has a chance, or sad because I need to wait for more than a year before knowing if Adeleine is in or not.
I feel ya. Personally I already gave up in this game, but maybe, just maybe, there will be a nice surprise in the DLC in the upcoming years.... Well... I will wait seated, to say the least.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
...did u guys hear that
Adeline isn't a spirit. Meaning IF spirits deconfirm characters, she's got a REALLY good chance

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be happy about recent rumors, but I don't think highly about any of it. Yes, with Piranha Plant not as a spirit, the lack of an Adeleine spirit could mean there's a better shot at Adeleine being the next Kirby rep, but... are we even getting one at this point? I want to think that singular piece of music for each DLC means we'll only be getting reps for existing series, but I don't even know if the odds of getting another Kirby one are high with Nintendo. And that's a big problem... my top priority was to get a Kirby rep, and it's frustrating that even after getting a Kirby game that boosted the potential for a bunch of characters, Sakurai didn't take the initiative and left Kirby underrepresented.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its hard to say if this means anything. If spirits do deconfirm dlc fighters(and even if they did it would be only in wave 1) then this is a big boost to her. I honestly would love to fight as her, and she could bring very interesting moveset to the series. Plus more cute girls beating up giant space dragons sounds like a blast

shammah121

Smash Cadet
I think Ado is likely! One thing that should be noted is that we don't have a lot of new female characters that aren't Echoes or Inkling. Ado has a high chance than Waddle because she's more innovative. I want both of them to be in the game (in my opinion they're the best characters the represent the KKirby franchise along with Kirby, Dedede, and Meta Knight), but I feel that we have too many fighters that use "Sharp weapons".

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
I'm from the Bandana Dee thread and I have to say, Adeleine's chances are looking great! I think she would be a wonderful addition to the roster, and it may even push HAL into making her a series mainstay, so you can sign me up as a supporter!

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I recently picked up a Switch and Star Allies. I've not complete the story mode yet, but I'm convinced that Adeleine would make a splendid addition to Smash. I know Inkling has the paint gimmick, but I believe a moveset based on Artist and her own would be different enough.

It'd be a miracle, but imagine if we got Bandana Dee as a side DLC like the Mario Maker stage and then Adeleine as part of the fighter pass. This way we get both the Crystal Shards group, if you consider that Waddle Dee in this is the same as Bandana Dee, and the Return to DreamLand group.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I recently picked up a Switch and Star Allies. I've not complete the story mode yet, but I'm convinced that Adeleine would make a splendid addition to Smash. I know Inkling has the paint gimmick, but I believe a moveset based on Artist and her own would be different enough.

It'd be a miracle, but imagine if we got Bandana Dee as a side DLC like the Mario Maker stage and then Adeleine as part of the fighter pass. This way we get both the Crystal Shards group, if you consider that Waddle Dee in this is the same as Bandana Dee, and the Return to DreamLand group.
So in a way, Adeleine was the Bandana Dee of the group before he became part of it. I never thought of it that way... Wow! That might be a reason as to why HAL/Nintendo would put her in before Bandana Dee if that's the case. I would be satisfied with either of them or any Kirby character regardless.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I do think Adeleine and Inkling would play completely differently even with both using paint. They use paint in completly different ways. Inkling as we see mostly is a ranged gunner, shooting for a lot of her attacks. Adeleine though could be a more trap focused or minion summoning style of fighting, painting monsters to assist her, making traps on the floor or air, and having lots of set up style attacks.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's nice to see more support for Adeleine recently! Thank you!
It's especially nice to see more support coming from the Bandana Dee fanbase... I would have never expected this, especially after all the bad things that I have said against Bandana Dee in the past.
Anyway, it makes me happy that the Kirby fans are becoming more united, and this situation makes me wish that we had both Adeleine and Bandana Dee in the roster, so that everyone would be happy.

I have to say that unfortunately the recent rumors don't necessarily mean that Adeleine is more likely.
Sakurai is the guy who, when the Kirby anime was in production, asked the staff to not include human characters in it, supposely also excluding the possibility for Adeleine to appear in the show.
It's possible that Sakurai just dislikes the character and excluded her for personal reasons, we don't know until all the newcomers (including DLCs) are announced.
It makes no sense that Adeleine is not a spirit because all the other Dream Friends are spirits except her, and there are more obscure characters in the spirits list, such as Gryll (still from Kirby) or Tatanga (from the Marioland series); if Adeleine has been excluded it must have been because of a different reason; I hope this reason is because she's DLC, but sadly it's not guaranteed.
My expectations are low, though I will never give up on her, especially now that she's finally getting some more support.

As for gameplay, I made several moveset concepts for her in the past, but my most recent version features summons in her smash attacks, in a similar way as Villager creates the bowling ball that if used on a ledge, goes down until it's out from the screen.
Adeleine would swing her paintbrush for regular attacks (maybe with the Inkling gimmick that if a character is covered in paint it becomes more vulnerable), and spawn the easel for Smash attacks; she would summon different creatures depending on the direction of the attack, and depending on how long you hold the attack before releasing it, the creature would become bigger but slower, and obviously more powerful.
Unlike Villager's bowling ball, the summoned creatures would explode after a while, they wouldn't travel forever (similar to Megaman's charged shot).
Adeleine's forward Smash would be special, as it can be altered by tilting the analog stick up or down while charging.
If you do a regular forward Smash, a normal enemy is summoned (would it be a Waddle Dee, an N-Z or a Batamon, or something else who just runs forward). If you tilt up, a Bronto Burt is summoned instead... he would travel close to ground but slowly go up diagonally with time. If you tilt down instead, she would summon a Bouncy or an I^3, that would bounce on the ground and move more slowly.
For down smash I thought that it would be nice if she summons Pon & Con going left and right, and having more "sons" the more you charge the attack; I even did a small animation of this in an old post.
Pon & Con can be replaced by Mr Shine and Mr Bright possibly (because they are more iconic), but they would fly up as soon as they are summoned, and the "sons" gimmick can't be used because it wouldn't make sense. I think that Pon & Con would work just fine because they appeared in the most recent Kirby game, and they aren't that obscure anymore.

EDIT:
I finally found the complete list of spirits.
Adeleine is not the only spirit missing; Taranza is also missing...
And Ribbon too.
Hyness is missing as well.
Pretty much everything else is in the list, including obscure characters such as Gryll and Moley.

If we're getting a Kirby DLC, Adeleine & Ribbon, Taranza and Hyness are the most likely candidates. I hope we're getting one and it's Adeleine!!!

There is also a strange lack of Nova but we know that it can't be a playable character because it's Too Big. :ultridley:oh wait.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's hoping she makes it in!

Thought she was a never-ever...if she beats the odds somehow, probably going to try and use her as my main!...Well, besides Little Mac.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I made this list of who I want/expect the DLC to be, based on spirits Deconfirming and spirits not deconfirming.

SPirits Deconfirm:

Slime_(Dragon_Quest).jpg or Agnes.png

This is a tough one. Slime as a DQ rep makes the most sense business wise to me, but, we see SE is being very stingy with their properties in this game. no new Final Fantasy Music. No FF spirits other then cloud. Only SE spirits are Geno and Mallow and they are listed as Mario Characters. Plus how I have heard how terrible getting DQ music is due to the composer being a xenophobe and refuses to give the actual music outside of japan makes me very hesitent we may get a DQ character. However, Bravley Default is a Nintendo only game, and there are talks/rumors of a Bravely Default 3 in production, so I can see Agnes being a DLC fighter. That may be the least hoops Nintendo would need to jump through

KSA_Adeleine.png

There are a few key missing characters as spirits, and Adeleine is the biggest missing Kirby one. If there is a kirby rep they want to add, she seems like a good one. She would have a good uniquer moveset with a different style then Inkling. She could be a trap/set up character that paints monsters to assist her. Plus there are those rumors of a new kirby game next year, and she could have a roll in it and be a good cross promotion. Even if that new kirby game is an HD remake of Kirby 64(which I would love) this works as well

Sylus.jpg

Other important Metroid characters are in the game, including some of the other hunters, but not Sylux, who is heavily implied to be the main antagonist of Prime 4. Seems very odd for him not to get a spirit after all that, plus he has had a trophy before.

Rhythm Girl.jpg

The only missing main character from the Rhythm Heaven games, Rhythm Girl is normally to for front of advertising for the game. For her not to be a spirit is jarring. We know Sakurai wanted a RH character in the past, and she could appear as DLC if they plan to make a new game next year.

Reimu.png

Reimu is my big third party addition. I really don't think we will get a microsoft rep(even though Banjo would be nice and there are some odd rare files in the game for other games). However Touhou is massive in Japan, ZUN has been talking about wanting to put offical games on nintendo platforms and talks highly about hopefully working with nintendo in the future, Reimu would bring a very unique playstyle to the game and is a gaming icon in japan. The Face of Indie games for japan. But if Banjo does happen I wouldn't mind at all for him in this spot.

SPirits don't deconfirm DLC

Shantae smashified.png

Obvious pick is obvious. Shantae is just growing and growing, the face of Indies out west. We know she has 2 spirits and a fighter icon. It shows nintendo really has her in their sights,

Agnes.png or Slime_(Dragon_Quest).jpg or Geno.png

Same talks for the first 2, plus adding Geno as that could have even less hoops then the others,

XC2-Pyra-and-Mythra-artwork.jpg

I do beleive Mii Costumes deconfirm sadly, but nintendo knows how big this series is, and would be nuts not to include the "waifus" of the game. Plus Nia and Rex are mii outfits, but not theres 2, arguably the most popular ones, and are just spirits? Fishy. Even if Mii costumes don't deconfirm, rather these 2 fight then rex that sometimes uses them

Rhythm Girl.jpg

Same reasons as above but even with spirits in she would be the best way to represent the full series.

KSA_Adeleine.png or Edelgard.png or Sylus.jpg

either of these 3 from upcoming nintendo games. All could be used to promote future games. I also could see one of these replacing Rhythm Girl or Pyra and Mythra depending on what Nintendo decides to do with their DLC.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd be surprised if we didn't get another Kirby rep in the end. Obviously Sakurai is hesitant to add Kirby characters, as he is afraid of people calling bias. We've seen this before. But Adeline hasn't been seen as a Spirit, which is strange. I wonder if she was decided as DLC early on and the refrained from making her a Spirit.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Got a source on that?
In Smash 64, he considered adding King Dedede but didn't, worrying about bias. After Kirby ended up top tier in Smash 64, people called bias, and he cut both Dedede and Meta Knight from the roster of Melee, despite both of them being popular characters. There are multiple articles that mention all of this, but my interned is wack rn and the pages won't load. I can upload the links later. You might just want to look them up.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'd be surprised if we didn't get another Kirby rep in the end. Obviously Sakurai is hesitant to add Kirby characters, as he is afraid of people calling bias. We've seen this before. But Adeline hasn't been seen as a Spirit, which is strange. I wonder if she was decided as DLC early on and the refrained from making her a Spirit.
Not sure about sakurai bias given what one of the bosses is(only seen screenshots but boy looks great)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not sure about sakurai bias given what one of the bosses is(only seen screenshots but boy looks great)
As I said, until Brawl, Sakurai refused to add more Kirby characters amid accusations of him being biased. It's probably also why there are so many bugs and glitches involved with Kirby in Melee, making the absolute worst.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
In Smash 64, he considered adding King Dedede but didn't, worrying about bias. After Kirby ended up top tier in Smash 64, people called bias, and he cut both Dedede and Meta Knight from the roster of Melee, despite both of them being popular characters. There are multiple articles that mention all of this, but my interned is wack rn and the pages won't load. I can upload the links later. You might just want to look them up.
Is there an actual quote from the man himself fearing such accusations?

By that logic, Kirby wouldn't have been the sole survivor of WoL's beginning.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Well it's been a while since i posted here but I'm quite excited now as Adeleine's chances for DLC are looking better than ever with the all the recent information that's been coming out of all the data mining and stuffs~
looks like y'all have already been over most of it already but i'd like to add some key points here today as to why I believe she'll be playable in Ultimate. Spoiler warnings so be careful:

1. DLC has been said by Sakurai himself to have all already been decided on; the DLC line-up is now complete. If this is true, why add a character in as one of the Spirits if you've already planned them in as future DLC?
2. Sakurai has also said that the DLC selection was made entirely by Nintendo this time. Sakurai has history of bias in only selecting items, trophies, materials, stages, or characters from Kirby games he's been directly involved in so far. (Which Adeleine is not of, if I'm correct.)
3. Considering point one, neither Adeleine nor Ribbon have Spirits.
4. And neither does Piranha Plant- who is the only DLC character we're sure of so far. While all other playable fighters so far do have Spirits.
5. Why not just add Adeleine, Ribbon, or Piranha Plant as one of the nearly 1,300 we have so far? Could it be that Adeleine and the sparse few other prominent Nintendo characters not chosen to be Spirits out of this grand number are actually being saved for something else?
6. Again, considering point one, we have already have a couple of art powered Assist Trophies in Nikki and Vince. It seems to me that if Adeleine was planned to be added to this game as neither a Spirit or playable character, this would be the perfect job for her, but instead she's mysteriously absent while we just have the chef as the new Kirby AT.
7. Both Bandana Waddle Dee and Magolor have been seen as Spirits.
8. These two characters are the only other two Kirby characters that got more votes than Adeleine in the Smash Ballot, according to the 2015 consolidation poll, which is the best resource we have as a reflection of ballot: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469 (That's right! Adeleine was more popular than Marx back in 2015!)
9. Speaking of Marx, he has been seen as Kirby's Boss in the Classic mode.
10. Considering points seven and nine, this removes her most fierce competition for the spot of the 4th Kirby character to be added into Smash!

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to say Adeleine and Ribbon's not having Spirits means they are are confirmed for DLC. We've already been burned BAD with such logic with assist trophies. However, it's extremly odd that they would just barely include them as playable characters in Kirby Star Allies but not even spirits in Ultimate. It's shocking that the only two main characters from Kirby Star Allies that aren't Spirits are Adeliene and Ribbon.

They seem to be the very type of character that Sakurai would include. Not to mention that we haven't had a dual character newcommer for smash yet. And we usually get one every entry. In Smash 4 we got 2.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Is it okay to support Ado for DLC mostly so I can reenact BITF strips? To me, the Brawl in the Family Ultimate Reunion would be the best.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Many fans thought that since Ashley, Skull Kid, isaac, and shadow werent shown as assist trophies than they must be playable.
But they ended up getting shown as assist trophies. So I don't see the connection when we already know all the spirits thanks to data mining.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It's possible, if she's DLC, that she was decided before Spirits were finished so they refrained from making her one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's just as likely that Sakurai possibly still has issues with human characters being in the Kirby series to the point that Adeleine and the close-enough-to-human Ribbon aren't in, even as spirits.

Which I hope isn't the case and this is simply more of an oversight than anything...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I just remembered that Adeleine isn't the only paint-based character not to have a spirit, NONE of them are in the game. Not even Paint Roller, a Sakurai original.

That to me seems conspicuously weirder than not having our Shimomura ladies in.

Edit: According to the latest Sakurai column, WOL's Japanese title meaning Hoshi no Kirby read backwards was a coincidence. Damn, even the language itself works against him.

Also, interestingly enough, Kirby was picked as the survivor because 1) his Warp Star was the fastest thing that could dodge the beams (of course) and 2) he originally considered Bayonetta and Palutena, but didn't think their gameplay would be fair to use for beginners, so by process of elimination, he went for the simplest to use character possible and acknowledged that players can choose to pass over Kirby once they rescue other fighters.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's just as likely that Sakurai possibly still has issues with human characters being in the Kirby series to the point that Adeleine and the close-enough-to-human Ribbon aren't in, even as spirits.

Which I hope isn't the case and this is simply more of an oversight than anything...
That's what I fear and I hope it's not the case... Adeleine has already been excluded in a similar way from Brawl's stickers.
I hope it's not the case.

You know, I just remembered that Adeleine isn't the only paint-based character not to have a spirit, NONE of them are in the game. Not even Paint Roller, a Sakurai original.

That to me seems conspicuously weirder than not having our Shimomura ladies in.
Yeah, I noticed that too, but there is one exception:
Elline is in.

On a side note, I noticed that they added the music from the first level of Kirby 64, and it's the original version. I don't know how and if this affects Adeleine's chance,
DLCs come with new music, and if Adeleine is in, she will most likely come with Kirby 64 music... I don't know.
On the other hand, we only have 2 Kirby 64 tracks so far (0^2 from Brawl is still there), and there are many other memorable tracks from that game that aren't in yet (the factory level, Ripple Star theme, the enemy rush level from Ripple Star, and the ending/staff music), and any music from the other games directed by Shimomura (KDL2 and 3) is completely missing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's what I fear and I hope it's not the case... Adeleine has already been excluded in a similar way from Brawl's stickers.
I hope it's not the case.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but there is one exception:
Elline is in.

On a side note, I noticed that they added the music from the first level of Kirby 64, and it's the original version. I don't know how and if this affects Adeleine's chance,
DLCs come with new music, and if Adeleine is in, she will most likely come with Kirby 64 music... I don't know.
On the other hand, we only have 2 Kirby 64 tracks so far (0^2 from Brawl is still there), and there are many other memorable tracks from that game that aren't in yet (the factory level, Ripple Star theme, the enemy rush level from Ripple Star, and the ending/staff music), and any music from the other games directed by Shimomura (KDL2 and 3) is completely missing.
Good finds there. Depending on how the current DLC wave will fare, here's to hoping this will be Addy's golden ticket in case she won't make it the first go round.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If Adeline (and/or Ribbon) get(s) in, we could get the 02/Miracle Matter remix from Star Allies, with Ripple Star as a stage.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Kirby 64 was my first Kirby game as a kid, and I thought Adeleine was a pretty cool character with her painting abilities. I was surprised af to find out that she was returning in a modern Kirby game as playable. Now I'm hearing she has a chance for Ultimate DLC? Are we living in the best timeline?

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Adeleine will be my main I love Kirby 64 and she one of my favorite Kirby characters and I love art. I hope she gets in smash alongside Porky and Banjo. P.S I love art.

Top Bottom