• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

Alaskalana

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alaskalana
3DS FC
4871-7882-0999
Switch FC
SW-2013-3915-8713
Honestly, I think Adeleine would be a great pick for the Kirby newcomer slot. I'm all for Bandana Waddle Dee, but Adeleine has them beat on moveset diversity alone.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Even if I often don't reply, I'm adding everyone in the supporter list
Alaskalana Alaskalana Thank you! Anyway, your comment seems positive toward Adeleine in Smash, but it's not clear if you want to be added in the supporter list or not, so, do you want to be added?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the third (and final, I hope XD) chapter of my wall of text series.

The Kirby's official Twitter page theory!
This theory consists in some hints about the possible presence of Adeleine in Smash. As unlikely as she is, let's assume she IS in Smash and she has not been announced yet... there are some hints that this case may be a possibility.
Have some fun and don't take this too much seriously, it's just for fun.

Backgroud:
Nintend's E3 presentation has been lackluster for many fans. Nintendo France revealed that it was intentional, Nintendo decided to move part of their announcements from E3 to other subsequent events, in order to have more material to show in the future.
Nintendo France said that at E3 Nintendo decided to show only the games that will be released in the next months, and that they will talk about the other games during the next events, such as Japan Expo (July), Gamescon (August), or the Tokyo Games Show (September).
(I have a source but it's in Italian language... maybe there's an international source in English too? sorry Source)
At E3, they revealed Ridley and Daisy (echo).
They also revealed the Ridley and Inkling amibos, but something suspicious happend:
The box containing the Amiibo had 4 slots but only 2 of them were used, the other 2 slots were filled with a placeholder card with the Smash logo.
People justified this (I can't remember if it was just fan speculation or Nintendo themselves) by saying that the empty slots in the box were for Daisy and something else, I can't remember, but they weren't ready to show those Amiibo figures yet.
It's still very suspicious and there is a chance that they were hiding something else.

Some time after the E3, they announced the Smash Direct. During the Smash Direct, they announced Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom and King K Rool.
The most strange thing was the annuncement of King K Rool right after Ridley.
Why 2 characters with a similar (often overlapping) fanbase were announced so close to each other? Why those 2 characters who were the most requested ones were revealed early instead of keeping them hidden as a surprise final reveal? There is a huge mystery around this, but it seems that the initial plan of in which order they would have revealed the characters has been changed several times in the past months.

Adeleine, Kirby Star Allies and the E3:
Adeleine was going to be announced as a playable character in Kirby Star Allies. They leaked it from the game data, people knew that she was going to be playable.
HAL announced the second wave of Dream Friends close to the E3 presentation, they started showing the character by following a strict pattern each week, and Adeleine was going to be revealed very close to the Nintendo E3 presentation.

For some reason, they stopped following the pattern, and Adeleine was not announced. Initially, people speculated that they were holding her for the E3 presentation, then the presentation happend, and Adeleine was still missing.

Several weeks after, Adeleine was announced for real, close to the Japan Expo in France but apparently unrelated from that event. In the weeks before Adeleine was announced, HAL made several posts on the Twitter pages hinting at Adeleine, so much that people called them "trolls".
People expected Adeleine news, they instead revealed concept artworks of the Artist ability and of Vividria (the enemy that gives the Artist Ability to Kirby).
It was clear that they were teasing us, but it was unclear WHY they didn't reveal Adeleine along with the other characters.

On a side note, there was a huge demand for Adeleine on the Twitter page, a lot of fans spammed with comments and pictures, so much that some people were even annoyed by them, and a sort of flame was started; people who asked for Adeleine, people who asked Adeleine fans to shut up, people who asked people who said to shut up to shut up as well because there were more of them than people actually begging for Adeleine, and so on.

The thing has been so big that even HAL recognized that there is demand for Adeleine, and they referenced it in a Switch post (they said that Adeleine and Ribbon have a long time and dedicated fanbase, and that they were once important in the franchise).

This might not be part of the ballot, but I'm sure that this event influenced the chance of Adeleine in Smash, rising them a bit (HAL realized that Adeleine still has a fanbase).
Also, in Kirby Star Allies, every wave of Dream Friends has an artwork representing the 3 characters who are part of it; Adeleine is the only character (so far) who has a separate artwork all for herself, while the remaining 2 Dream Friends share a different artwork together; this might be a sign that Adeleine is seen somehow as a "special" character.
Adeleine has also been referenced as an hard mode for the game, having less health and a moveset that requires more strategy than other characters, and it's clear that with Adeleine they are aiming at a different audience than the core Kirby audience (mostly kids); they are aiming at the old time fans.
This means that there isn't really competition between Adeleine and the other Kirby characters in terms of Smash, because Adeleine has a different fanbase and it's not unlikely that they will consider putting her along with someone else to please everyone.

Conclusion about the E3 thing:
Something happend during E3, the plans for revealing characters have probably been changed and Ridley was probably not planned to be shown this early.
They were probably going to show 2 more newcomers (they didn't show the Daisy amiibo so echoes don't count); I think that if Adeleine was going to be announced, since she's not very popular, they would have announced her along with many other characters so that she would be "overshadowed" and nobody would have complained in a similar way as some people have done for Isabelle.
Adeleine in Star Allies was planned to be revealed close to E3, but was delayed... maybe they were planning a double announcement, Kirby Star Allies + Smash?
Why she has been delayed? I think the demand for her on Twitter may have something to do with this, probably they didn't expect that the character was so much requested and when they realized it, they changed their plans.

So why they announced those highly requested characters all close to each other and so early? I really doubt there are more hyping characters left, Geno maybe, but it's still "smaller" (lol Ridley is BIG, ok). Probably they wanted to please the core Smash community because the next announcements will aim to a different audience, so they can say "but at least we have Ridley and K Rool" when the next character is something they absolutely care nothing about. the announcement of Isabelle may be a hint that this is the case.

Also, I'll come back on this later: when HAL can't announce something yet but they want to, they tease it with hints. That's what happend with Adeleine on the official Twitter.

The Team Kirby Clash Deluxe passwords:
Some months ago, on Kirby's official Twitter, HAL started to release passwords for that game, worldwide.
They release 1 password each month, and each password is released along with a screenshot of the game that's fitting with the password itself.
Something strange happend in the last couple of months:

August password: ICEDRAGON
September password: KRACKO

Those two bosses are both iconic summons of Adeleine: Kracko has been summoned by her in Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Star Allies, while Ice Dragon has been summoned by her EVERY TIME; If we consider Holo Defense API as an Adeleine reference too, both Ice Dragon and Kracko are there too.
Not to mention that the password before those two was CELESTIALHAT, and Adeleine wears an hat, but that may be a coincidence.

Now, this may be a big coincidence and maybe it's not something we should look too much into... but:
Drawcia's armor and weapon (a paintbrush) are in the game, if the october password references that in some way, it can't be a coincidence anymore.
We'll see in few days.
Dark Matter's set is also in the game, that may also confirm the theory since Adeleine also summoned a Dark Matter, and was definitely possessed twice too... though it's a weaker confirmation... if it's the paintbrush, they're definitely hinting something because:

Also, I'll come back on this later: when HAL can't announce something yet but they want to, they tease it with hints. That's what happend with Adeleine on the official Twitter.

Kirby Cafe and Kawasaki's Ultimate Menu:

Recently they are opening the Kirby Cafe in japan. It's the second edition of this initiative, and it consists in some Kirby-themed resturants that are open for a limited amount of time.
Chef Kawasaki, Kirby with a chef hat, and some Waddle Dees with peculiar hats are the mascottes of the Kirby Cafe.
HAL is obviously promoting this on Twitter, and they released a strange post some days ago...
... Jama Haroa. A vacation has also ended From today Today, I am worrying about you, Frank · Kiss ... this! Koku Kawasaki Special Feature? Kirby Cafe appearance commemoration! What? I already have Rouge says that he just told me that I will not tell him. Everyone, please expect from his ultimate menu.
The post is translated from Japanese, and I know that in Japan, it's called Smash Bros Special, though... they know that occidental people follow the Twitter page, they know that people use Google Translate and similars, to translate the text... so I think it may still mean something.

The post came along with two pictures. Since they are big I will link the post directly.
The pictures mainly represent Chef Kawasaki, Kirby with the Cook ability, and Bandan Waddle Dee; the main theme of the pictures is, Chef Kawasaki hunting some animals for cooking.
Why I think Bandana Waddle Dee has nothing to do with all this? Because as I said before, the mascotte of the Kirby Cafe are Chef Kawasaki, Kirby with a cook hat, and some Waddle Dees with strange hats... since the Kirby Cafe hat is not in the game, they use Bandana Waddle Dee because it's the closest thing; It already happend once, to represent the cast of Kirby 64; they used Bandana Waddle Dee on Twitter, and Parasol Waddle Dee in-game, so it really means nothing.
There is something else I noticed.
The last picture is Chef Kawasaki hiding behind a canvas along with Adeleine and Ribbon, trying to catch a Nruff.
Adeleine and Ribbon are the only chracters who appear in those pictures aside of the Kirby Cafe cast and some random enemies.

What's Kawasaki's Ultimate Menu?

Kawasaki IS in Smash Ultimate, as an assist trophy.
He grabs the characters and "cooks" them.
His menu in Smash Ultimate ARE the characters.
So, what does that picture mean?
Maybe nothing, maybe it's in favor of Bandana Waddle Dee even?
But I like to think that if it's an hint, it's hinting at Adeleine (since Bandana Dee is there to represent Kirby Cafe's Dees).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe nothing of this is true and I'm just looking way too much into it, but at least it was fun right?

Last edited:

link3710

Smash Cadet
I doubt the Adeleine prediction for Artist was a leak. I was instantly hoping she was going to be a playable character the moment I saw it too, it was by far the perfect moveset for her, it would've been a huge coincidence otherwise. I mean, as much as I want her in, I think it'd only happen if Sakurai is aware that they have bigger roles planned for Adeleine in the Kirby series moving forwards. Which is totally possible, but still.

That said, man those theories were fun. I definitely do hope Adeleine is in the game, at least that gave me a small sliver of hope that something may be up.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I doubt the Adeleine prediction for Artist was a leak. I was instantly hoping she was going to be a playable character the moment I saw it too, it was by far the perfect moveset for her, it would've been a huge coincidence otherwise. I mean, as much as I want her in, I think it'd only happen if Sakurai is aware that they have bigger roles planned for Adeleine in the Kirby series moving forwards. Which is totally possible, but still.

That said, man those theories were fun. I definitely do hope Adeleine is in the game, at least that gave me a small sliver of hope that something may be up.
Actually, I can basically confirm that GameXplain did not know Adeleine would make it into Star Allies, they were assuming she would. Their discussion about the March Direct showed great disappointment during the Star Allies segment when she was not covered, as if they had lost hope.

Apparently, they didn't know about the wave releases. Of course, when the datamine occurred, they reported it and Derrick sounded quite excited!

So I think that basically means they weren't aware of Adeleine's return. If nothing else, they were probably doing us a service by bringing her to mainstream attention.

Honestly, I'm not too sure if any of these theories are applicable. The password one could be true, but that will rely on Drawcia's paintbrush being the next password, and it may not mean anything.

Then again, I wasn't aware HAL was teasing Adeleine's return by displaying Artist and Vividria concept art, so I wouldn't know.

Last edited:

link3710

Smash Cadet
Alright, so I might as well contribute my little blurb on why I want Adeleine in, since I'm hanging out here. Prepare for a long one.

Back when Smash 64 came out, it actually was basically the game that cemented my friendship with my closest friend to this day. He and I would play it for hours on end, trying to find all the non-existent secrets in the game, spurred on by the four characters and one stage. So when we heard that Smash was coming to GameCube, we put together a list of all the characters we thought would have to be in it. Of course, at the time I'd played maybe 20 games total and my friend only played games at my house, so it may seem a bit weird now. To the best of my memory it was:

* Luke Skywalker - Super Star Wars (The Lightsaber was already in, clearly he was next after all the Star Wars games that were out)
* Indiana Jones - Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures (If Luke was in, Indiana had to be too)
* Bowser - All the Mario Games
* Peach - All the Mario Games
* King Dedede - Kirby Super Star/Kirby's Dream Land 3/Kirby 64 (The second most important character, needs no explanation.)
* Adeleine - Kirby's Dream Land 3/Kirby 64 (My main character in minigame mode, and the only other one of the core cast who'd make sense. Of course she was a shoo-in)
* Glover - Glover (One of Nintendo's (We did believe this) most fun 64 games, it was weird he wasn't in)
* Banjo & Kazooie - Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie/Diddy Kong Racing (Same as Glover)
* Megaman - Megaman 64 ( Same as Glover/Banjo)
* Ganondorf - Ocarina of Time (The big bad, and he was so cool)
* Little Mac - Punchout! (One of the few NES games I'd played, and I'd played it to death)
* Duck Hunt Dog - Duck Hunt (Same as Little Mac)
* Diddy Kong - Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong 64/Diddy Kong Racing (Obviously if Donkey Kong was in he needed his best buddy)
* King K. Rool - Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong 64 (An awesome villain, one of the 4 big Nintendo ones alongside Dedede, Ganondorf and Bowser)
* Wolf - Star Fox 64 (Because he was the best character according to me)
* Falco- Star Fox 64 (Because he was the best character according to my friend)

So needless to say, when we got the game, there were far more surprise inclusions than there were characters we'd wanted. Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf and Falco made it in, but no one else did. Which was odd, because Kirby and Donkey Kong were some of Nintendo's biggest series, right? How did they get no newcomers?

Of course, after that, we realized Luke and Indiana were impossible, and in the lead up to Brawl I learned that Megaman, Banjo, and Glover were 3rd party and would never happen. So with the list cut significantly, we ended up diverging as we went into Brawl. I wanted Isaac, Wario, Olimar, Dark Samus, Chibi-Robo and Tetra in addition. So as Brawl slowly doled out newcomers on the website, I got to be excited for Dedede, Diddy, Wario, and Olimar (and Wolf after release). But what utterly puzzled me was the fact that Meta-Knight was chosen over Adeleine. He was a recurring boss sure, but he wasn't a playable character after all. I was still quite convinced she'd be added in the next game..

Then... Kirby's Return to Dream Land happened. It was the first Kirby game that I had the chance to get that I didn't (I'd somehow missed Nightmare in Dreamland's existence), and that was solely because of the roster. Waddle Dee (now with a bandana), Kirby and Dedede returned... alongside Meta Knight? Why would someone like Meta Knight cooperate with Kirby, he'd always been the mysterious type. I ended up playing the game years later on the Wii U when it was available digitally, but at the time I basically stopped playing Kirby.

So Smash 4 came and went. Sonic's inclusion meant Megaman had come back to my list, and I'd added John Raimi, Monita, Dixie, Lucina, Rosalina. and Ridley (finally buying into him being a character, Metroid had always been my jam). While only a couple of my wants were added for Smash 4 (mostly ones I never actually expected with Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Lucina and Rosalina, Adeleine remained missing. And that had been her last chance in my book. Surely the only reason she lost her spot in the main cast was because Meta Knight had gotten in over her.

I continued my abandonment of the Kirby series for some time, until a couple years ago when Return to Dream Land came to the Wii U eShop. Finally deciding to give it a try, it reignited my love for Kirby, leading me to play Triple Deluxe (I still need to play Planet Robobot). While I'd been disappointed that Adeleine was still gone all these games later, it became clear she was never coming back. That was, until I saw the Artist ability in Kirby Star Allies. With such a clear reference to Adeleine, I actually had hope she'd make it back in the game. I got it at launch for that reason, disappointed once more, though I was convinced she had to be a dream friend.

And as it turned out, she was. So with that knowledge, she jumped right back up to the top of my Smash wants, past even Isaac. If she got a spot in Smash Ultimate, she'd surely be immortalized within the Kirby series! The eventual reveal of her team-up with Ribbon only made it better, though somehow I didn't connect that idea to Smash until it I saw this thread. Here's hoping she's back to stay!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Iko MattOrr Iko MattOrr
I'm pretty neutral towards Marx/Magolor/Bandana Dee to be honest. Not for them, not against them either-
You know where my loyalties lie~ ;)

And that's.. Quite a lot of text to take in with all your theories. All I can say to all that is it gives me hope, so I do hope you're onto something with all of it :)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's been a few days.. Can I still double post then?

I have a poll here with Adeleine added as a choice:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZPMtKfCsaYKB_NoS_NsX5RyVolJVDNcWh2hYAJnzvE4

I had them add her as choice later after explaining some things to them, so you'll only see her near the bottom.
Nice, I voted for Adeleine!

Anyway, it's always better to not double post...
but well, the thread was inactive.

Sorry, I didn't post anything because I had no news nor content to show... I was going to post very soon to revive the thread, but since there is low activity, I need to think what to write very carefully or else I'll be stuck like you (forced to double post).
I'm currently waiting the October password to see if they are referencing Adeleine for real or if it's all a big coincidence.

I have the feeling that the N64 mini could be good for Adeleine's chances, I think that it's possible that they would include her as a representative of the N64 era.
Ganondorf has his OoT design as default after all.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
*high fives you* nice!

I think I should be safe after a 24 period; I don't want to spam and surely the mods see that.

It's cool. You shouldn't feel forced to post when you have nothing to say. But boy, sometimes I feel like it's just you and me vs. the world here.. I wish Adeleine was more popular during this speculation cycle. Like, I know that she is! Becuz of all her wonderful fan art, and the joyful reception of her return in Star Allies, and her results in the 2015 consolidation poll out beating Marx and etc. But it seems like Bandana is hogging all the limelight this time around, oh well~

Oh wait how do we know if and when the 64mini will be a real thing or not? I mean, it seems like the next logical step after the others for sure but cha never kno~

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Adeleine IS popular!
The point is that behind Bandana Dee there is an active campaign of support with memes, propaganda posts and occasionally fake leaks (pictures).
There is so much noise around Bandana Dee that they have convinced the Smash community that he is actually important and makes sense in Smash, and there is no way to make them change their mind (I tried many times now).
Some fans of Adeleine also support Bandana Dee (and don't show support for Adeleine in order to not damage Bandana Dee's chances).
Some Bandana Dee fans just hate her because they didn't grow up with her and they see her as a rival they have no attachment to.
A lot of Adeleine fans in the Kirby fandom don't consider Adeleine for Smash, too, so while she's popular and has fans (just look at that twitter thing), few people support her for Smash (at least actively, we have 51 supporters that's not that bad, but most of them are inactive), and that's sad.

EDIT: Also, consider that Sakurai's statements about selecting characters out of popularity, plus all the leaks and rumors, have killed the support for all those characters who are considered "unlikely" by the average opinion (like Adeleine), but I believe this is just wrong... if popularity is all what matters, then why Krystal is an assist trophy? She was very requested too... and something similar happend to Ashley too (sadly, I know that you support her and I can see how disappointing it has been when she was revealed as an assist trophy), and probably to Captain Toad as well, so yeah, Popularity helps a character to get into Smash but it's not the only requirement.

The Nintendo 64 Mini is very likely to come out, Nintendo registered some patents and trademarks already and some supposed insider revealed a possible date, in december, close to the release of Smash. The fact that Ganondorf uses the OoT design instead of his usual TP design may be another hint that all this is true and they are promoting the N64 era in Smash; though Zelda uses the ALTTP design, I'm not sure if this means somehting.
But yeah, the N64 mini is 90% confirmed to exist... it's not sure but almost.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I know there is a lot of love left for our Adeleine out there~<3 im just lamenting the current change in the tides as of now :|
Yeah trying to make them change their minds is not going to work. If anyone tried to change our minds about Adeleine that wouldn't work well for them either lul! Like, no one can change my mind on Ashley's chances for DLC ever either.
Still, I have to wonder why Bandana is gaining so much more traction right now over Adeleine anyways. Adeleine in my mind has always had an incredible potential for a much more unique moveset over him, or any other possible new Kirby character for that matter! I see him as A rival to Adeleine so even though im neutral about him and the other Kirby characters, Ive chosen to support no one else but her ^^

True. It's very likely :) and is sure to put Adeleine's presence out there for more to know when it does hit shelves too :):)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I know there is a lot of love left for our Adeleine out there~<3 im just lamenting the current change in the tides as of now :|
Yeah trying to make them change their minds is not going to work. If anyone tried to change our minds about Adeleine that wouldn't work well for them either lul! Like, no one can change my mind on Ashley's chances for DLC ever either.
Still, I have to wonder why Bandana is gaining so much more traction right now over Adeleine anyways. Adeleine in my mind has always had an incredible potential for a much more unique moveset over him, or any other possible new Kirby character for that matter! I see him as A rival to Adeleine so even though im neutral about him and the other Kirby characters, Ive chosen to support no one else but her ^^

True. It's very likely :) and is sure to put Adeleine's presence out there for more to know when it does hit shelves too :):)
(I hope someone else will comment too...)

Well, I'm refering to those people who aren't Kirby fans, those who support Bandana Dee only because they have been convinced to, and who know very little about the Kirby series... there are a lot of them.
As I said in my (edited) previous post, the problem is that Sakurai seems to select characters out of popularity this time, so Bandana Dee got all that traction because he's popular, that's it.
As I said, popularity means very little, because if Sakurai doensn't want a character, he won't include it, no matter if it's popular or not (it happend a lot in the past and it seems to be happening again - poor Ashley :().

I think that Bandana Dee makes little sense in Smash, because he's not that important like people say (he's only "important" in KRTD and that's a stretch since he's like the 4th playable character and Magolor is way more important than him in that game), every other game he appears in he only gets a minor role, even when he's playable (Rainbow Curse, Star Allies), the focus is taken by other characters (in Rainbow Curse he's not considered a main character but only an "helper" of Kirby; in Star Allies the returning characters from older games are clearly overshadowing him more and more each new wave of Dream Friends).
His only other major role is in Battle Royale, but that game got a low score and bad reception, and he's not playable in the multiplayer mode in favor of a generic Waddle Dee.
Appearing in many games does not equal to important character, especially since most of his appearances are in spin-offs or in very minor roles (in the 3DS games he throws food at the player, Adeleine did it too, but at least Adeleine was involved in the story and playable in minigames, Bandana Dee in those games was not).
Bandana Dee has ONLY popularity on his favor, and I think that's not enough to grant him a spot as a playable character, especially when the character's identity is so weak that you can't even give him a costume that he would become a different character.

Gameplay-wise he's weak too.
Little Mac was weak too, so they had to give him the KO punch mechanics to make him more unique. Bandana Dee has nothing like that in his source material, there is no way you can make a decent Smash character out of him, and transforming a waddle dee into a fierce warrior is so out of character.

I'm even positive to any other Kirby character, including Magolor, Marx, Dark Matter, Gooey, and even Daroach. It's only Bandana Dee that irritates me for the reasons I listed in the spoiler.

Nobody chooses the characters they support based on mveset potential (sadly), most people support what is more likely... that's why the characters who are rumored to be in Smash are also the ones who have the most support, and that's why each time a new character is "leaked", a support thread is created (Vault Boy, for example).

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
It is unfortunate for us how wishy washy the masses are. If only everyone looked into to things for themselves to see, and not just take one groups words at base value and then leave it at that. Perhaps then Adeleine would have been noticed more, and she would have the following he has now. But here we are..
I think magical characters like Adeleine and Ashley are adorable, and would make for wonderful and unique movesets! That's how my mind works, and seeing as Sakurai is a pretty inventive guy, I hope his mind works like that too~
But as you've said most people outside of the general and more specific fandoms just sort of bandwagon onto whoever's currently being said to be the most likely at the moment, rather than look at the raw potential for that character's capabilities if ever put into Smash. How Bandana got started to be named by the masses as the current 'most likely' I still don't understand. That's what confuses me in all this. Surely Sakurai doesn't bend to such things. He's too busy already working on who he's already chosen for Smash before speculation even starts. It's only after release does he see what people want the most after the all the reactions. So I'm hoping my favorite will be considered then.

Let's say though, hypothetically, Bandana makes it in as playable, but Adeleine still sees some love by making it in as more than just a footnote as a plain trophy. Say she gets to be one of the major bosses in Spirits Mode if that becomes a thing. It wouldn't irritate you too much would it?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It is unfortunate for us how wishy washy the masses are. If only everyone looked into to things for themselves to see, and not just take one groups words at base value and then leave it at that. Perhaps then Adeleine would have been noticed more, and she would have the following he has now. But here we are..
I think magical characters like Adeleine and Ashley are adorable, and would make for wonderful and unique movesets! That's how my mind works, and seeing as Sakurai is a pretty inventive guy, I hope his mind works like that too~
But as you've said most people outside of the general and more specific fandoms just sort of bandwagon onto whoever's currently being said to be the most likely at the moment, rather than look at the raw potential for that character's capabilities if ever put into Smash. How Bandana got started to be named by the masses as the current 'most likely' I still don't understand. That's what confuses me in all this. Surely Sakurai doesn't bend to such things. He's too busy already working on who he's already chosen for Smash before speculation even starts. It's only after release does he see what people want the most after the all the reactions. So I'm hoping my favorite will be considered then.

Let's say though, hypothetically, Bandana makes it in as playable, but Adeleine still sees some love by making it in as more than just a footnote as a plain trophy. Say she gets to be one of the major bosses in Spirits Mode if that becomes a thing. It wouldn't irritate you too much would it?
I agree with the bolded part and it's part of why I support Adeleine (and Lip, and to an extent, Ashley too). Not only that, Smash actually lacks of that type of character in the playable roster.

I would be disappointed that Bandana Dee would be in Smash, that's sure, but I would be happy that Adeleine is important in the game (Ridley has been a boss in 2 Smash games so far), and actually being a boss is interesting for her, just imagine what she could summon from the canvas! Maybe even hordes of Kirby enemies!
Adeleine is perfect for Smash because she's also a way to make more cameos and represent more characters through her drawings.
On the other hand, I don't want Bandana Dee in Smash because I don't want the "fourth main character" thing to become official, because currently it's not, but if he is in smash it's likely that it would happen.

StormC

Smash Hero
You know, you can support your character without turning the thread into a bashing session of another one.

Bandana Dee is supported because he has more than three game appearances in the last two decades and thus is highly visible. Also, I'd personally enjoy playing as a small character with a ranged spear. And he's cute and enjoyable.

Getting any Kirby characters besides Bandana Dee will probably rely on him getting in first just because of the bottleneck in the Kirby fandom right now.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
You know, you can support your character without turning the thread into a bashing session of another one.

Bandana Dee is supported because he has more than three game appearances in the last two decades and thus is highly visible. Also, I'd personally enjoy playing as a small character with a ranged spear. And he's cute and enjoyable.

Getting any Kirby characters besides Bandana Dee will probably rely on him getting in first just because of the bottleneck in the Kirby fandom right now.
It's pretty much just me, it's not the whole thread (though I admit I have done quite some posts recently).
Anyway, yeah, sorry, I think it's better to stop. My opinion is impossible to change, though I'll try to not mention Bandana Dee in this thread anymore.

On a side note:
This is unrelated to the character, and it could also apply to many other characters in other franchises as well:
I think that this mindset is extremely wrong, and that's what is killing the support of many other characters in favor of the few popular ones. That's what, for example, killed Ganon's chances and support despite him being like the most important character after Link himself, and I'm sure there are other similar cases.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I agree with the bolded part and it's part of why I support Adeleine (and Lip, and to an extent, Ashley too). Not only that, Smash actually lacks of that type of character in the playable roster.

I would be disappointed that Bandana Dee would be in Smash, that's sure, but I would be happy that Adeleine is important in the game (Ridley has been a boss in 2 Smash games so far), and actually being a boss is interesting for her, just imagine what she could summon from the canvas! Maybe even hordes of Kirby enemies!
Adeleine is perfect for Smash because she's also a way to make more cameos and represent more characters through her drawings.
On the other hand, I don't want Bandana Dee in Smash because I don't want the "fourth main character" thing to become official, because currently it's not, but if he is in smash it's likely that it would happen.
Ashley's not as cute as Adeleine or Lip in the same sense that they can both be, so I understand that. She's such a little sourpuss lol~ that gurl has too much attitude for some! XD
And right! We're really missing dedicated magic caster type characters like them. I think Smash needs more magical girl representation when already have many swordsmen, and characters like Bowser and Charizard, and more recently Ridley and K.Rool. I they are both cool and all but I wish Smash would present us with more variety too.

I'd be fine as long as she gets some sort of presence in Smash. Ribbon too. I think she's important now as well.
I know for you it would sting less if say Marx was playable instead of Bandana while Adeleine was still a boss, but i just want her to get some recognition if she can't be playable at least, no matter what happens.

Worst case scenario for the both of us would be Bandana being playable while Magolor gets to be the Kirby Boss with no mention of Adeleine or Ribbon anywhere :c i pray that never happens

StormC

Smash Hero
This is unrelated to the character, and it could also apply to many other characters in other franchises as well:
I think that this mindset is extremely wrong, and that's what is killing the support of many other characters in favor of the few popular ones. That's what, for example, killed Ganon's chances and support despite him being like the most important character after Link himself, and I'm sure there are other similar cases.
I mean, yeah, it'd be great to have multiple highly supported characters from the same series, but it's just human nature. Metroid fans threw their lot in with Ridley, DK fans threw their lot in with K. Rool, etc. As a Ganon supporter, I know how hard it is to drum up interest. Not much you can do about it.

Also, most "support" right now is fairly meaningless since there is no ballot currently or anything like that. Probably the best thing one can do is try to get social media attention on Twitter, but that's a gladiator fight.

Personally, I hope Adeleine continues to recur so people can consider her for a future Kirby fighter, that'd be her biggest boon at the moment.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Oh, should I have been posting? Sorry, I know I wanted to keep this thread alive, but there isn't much motivation for me to say anything without feeling like repeating myself.

I was going to reestablish why I support Adeleine so much, but the draft died. Such a shame.

I think the main detail regarding this is that, again, Adeleine is nowhere near as threatened as she was earlier this year. Yes, I want her in Smash and it's going to be a disappointment if she's still not mentioned, but the future of Adeleine depends on what Kirby will do next, not Smash. I guess there could be the threat of HAL dropping the ball and not emphasizing the extended cast enough, but it'll take a few years of unexplained absences for the threat to rise again.

So far, I haven't seen a single Kirby game get anything introduced in Ultimate outside of Sakurai's works besides Dedede's Final Smash. Like I said, if Kirby's Smash collection is as bad as 4, chances are nothing relevant other than maybe Marx will get pushed, which hopefully will get the majority to notice the problem. Maybe by then there will be enough of a wait to get Adeleine in later. (Not attacking Marx, by the way, I think he would be dandy if implemented correctly.)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Adeleine and Ribbon are my most-wanted Kirby newcomers, just edging out Susie and Dark Matter. I like Bandana Dee well enough, but Kirby 64 was my jam growing up and the game that truly solidified my lifelong Kirby love. She's so fun to use in Star Allies, too - in fact, it was her inclusion that made me go get the game.

It'd be nice to have both Bandana Dee and Adeleine to complete the Kirby 64 party like you can in Star Allies but if I had to pick one, she's it. Her moveset is so strong and the day she was officially announced for Star Allies I was rejoicing.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Oh, should I have been posting? Sorry, I know I wanted to keep this thread alive, but there isn't much motivation for me to say anything without feeling like repeating myself.

I was going to reestablish why I support Adeleine so much, but the draft died. Such a shame.

I think the main detail regarding this is that, again, Adeleine is nowhere near as threatened as she was earlier this year. Yes, I want her in Smash and it's going to be a disappointment if she's still not mentioned, but the future of Adeleine depends on what Kirby will do next, not Smash. I guess there could be the threat of HAL dropping the ball and not emphasizing the extended cast enough, but it'll take a few years of unexplained absences for the threat to rise again.

So far, I haven't seen a single Kirby game get anything introduced in Ultimate outside of Sakurai's works besides Dedede's Final Smash. Like I said, if Kirby's Smash collection is as bad as 4, chances are nothing relevant other than maybe Marx will get pushed, which hopefully will get the majority to notice the problem. Maybe by then there will be enough of a wait to get Adeleine in later. (Not attacking Marx, by the way, I think he would be dandy if implemented correctly.)
I know, Sakurai might not want Adeleine in Smash for personal reasons, that's true and it's something that I always consider; though this won't stop me from supporting the character.
Anyway, well, it would be nice if occasionally the thread is revived... I'm not saying we should spam, but at least keep the conversation going. If the thread is up in the list, it gets more visibility, and we can get more supporters too, with a chance that more active supporters will join. We as 3 active supporters alone can already keep the thread going if we are organized, but the goal is to be more than just 3.

There's the problem of the content... What to talk about? I don't know... as long as it's not spam, everything is cool to continue the conversation... we can search for music remixes and artworks, actually produce something, make movesets, theories...

Anyway, Sakurai said that he gives priority to characters who come from more relevant games. Kirby 64 is relevant I guess? I mean, some people with relevant mean it's recent and used in advertising, and that's not the case, but IMO that's not the correct interpretation of the word "relevant".
Kirby 64 is a classic, the first 3D Kirby game and a game that introduced many elements that stayed in the series until now. Adeleine is a relevant character in that game, and that's enough. Rosalina is in a similar situation, and I think that Marx being in only 1 game wouldn't stop him to become a newcomer in the future too.
As I said, it's not about how many times a character appears in the series, it's about how meaningful that character's appearances are to the series, and in that, I feel like Ribbon helps too.

Adeleine and Ribbon are my most-wanted Kirby newcomers, just edging out Susie and Dark Matter. I like Bandana Dee well enough, but Kirby 64 was my jam growing up and the game that truly solidified my lifelong Kirby love. She's so fun to use in Star Allies, too - in fact, it was her inclusion that made me go get the game.

It'd be nice to have both Bandana Dee and Adeleine to complete the Kirby 64 party like you can in Star Allies but if I had to pick one, she's it. Her moveset is so strong and the day she was officially announced for Star Allies I was rejoicing.
Thank you!
I added you in the supporter list, I know I haven't asked, but from your post seems obvious that you support (if you don't want, just tell me).
The Kirby series has a lot of cool characters, I would like Kirby to get more representation in general. Adeleine is my most wanted anyway, but she's not alone.

Anyway, yes, I was super happy when they finally announced her, and when I saw Batamon, I was shocked because it's also one of my favorite enemies in the series (because of the WTF factor) and I never associated it with Adeleine... they made Adeleine summon a Batamon, it was something awesome for me XD
Unfortunatelly I don't have a Switch yet so I never played as Adeleine yet, that's a shame I know but currently Switch has no game that interest me aside of Kirby Star Allies (that I would buy only because of Adeleine as well), and I'm waiting at least Smash before getting it.
Though she seems very fun to play as, but a bit unintuitive maybe... I have seen a lot of videos of people who didn't know how to use the summons and when to use certain attacks, at the end they just spammed Fairy Dance and Ribbon's Crystal. I think that she's awesome but there's still room for improvement gameplay wise... though it's not bad for her debut, given how unconventional she is as a playable character!
I noticed that they treated her as an hard mode (they mentioned this in one of those Switch posts from the developers)... I'd like if future Kirby games would get an unlockable hard mode with Adeleine as the main character, it would be very nice, I want this to become a recurring tradition!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, that's a pretty good analysis Iko. It does put things into perspective, if any of it turns out to be correct. That said...

As I said, it's not about how many times a character appears in the series, it's about how meaningful that character's appearances are to the series, and in that, I feel like Ribbon helps too.
You hit the nail on the head there. While Marx's appearance was limited, he was an extension of the final boss template Nightmare introduced, and got referenced by the majority of final bosses since then.

The number of games a character appears in doesn't matter, so long as they left a meaningful impact in the role they had, this is a point that many, I think, severely underestimate when supporting characters from various games. This also includes single-game IPs like Cave Story and Undertale. Hell, you could say that the NES characters fit this as well. :ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultrob:

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The new password of the month is HALLOWEEN, so the theory is disconfirmed, sadly.

Both Drawcia (with paintbrush) and Dark Matter's costumes appear in the picture, but at this point it means nothing, because they're just simulating halloween costumes.
At least, I suppose.

link3710

Smash Cadet
Well so much for that theory. I'm honestly just hoping we get a new Kirby game next year (given HAL's usual output it wouldn't be surprising) with Adeleine in a major role. It'd at least get the popularity train rolling again for DLC.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Uhm....
There's nothing to talk about, once again.
No Direct, no news, no leaks... nothing.
I hope that the Direct that people speculated to be close, will be announced as soon as possible, so that we have something new to talk about until the release of the game.

Anyway, I just remembered of Wario Ware D.I.Y.
I created many microgames in it, and I sent some of them to the online contests... some of them won the contests and were re-published by Nintendo (it wasn't that hard, there were only a few users joining the contests each time and often the winners were the same names over and over).

By the way, some of those microgames made by me were about Nintendo characters, I remember one about Adeleine (called Ado & Kirby if I remember) and one about Ashley (it was a parody of a mahou shoujo anime, a rhythm game where you need to touch the screen with the correct timing to help Ashley to complete her "transformation" - that by the way was just an anime mahou shoujo outfit XD).

The one about Adeleine consisted in:
The pyramid level from Kirby 64, with those sky-monitors in the background.
The setting was inspired by Kirby's Dreamland 3's minigames, Kirby on the left side, Adeleine on the right doing a puzzle for Kirby.
Ado draws a random item on the canvas (only the outline): it could be a leaf, an apple, or some water waves.
You must guess the color from the picture, then touch the Pix of the correct color (green, blue or red).
Pix are rotating at the center of the screen until you touch one of them.
If you touch the correct one, the Pix will disappear and Ado's drawing will become colored.
Both Kirby and Adeleine will get an happy expression.
(Now that I think it could be my fault for the existence of Holo Defense API, since this microgame may have inspired them XD)

I would like to show you these microgames but I have absolutely no idea of how to do it.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Uhm....
There's nothing to talk about, once again.
No Direct, no news, no leaks... nothing.
I hope that the Direct that people speculated to be close, will be announced as soon as possible, so that we have something new to talk about until the release of the game.

Anyway, I just remembered of Wario Ware D.I.Y.
I created many microgames in it, and I sent some of them to the online contests... some of them won the contests and were re-published by Nintendo (it wasn't that hard, there were only a few users joining the contests each time and often the winners were the same names over and over).

By the way, some of those microgames made by me were about Nintendo characters, I remember one about Adeleine (called Ado & Kirby if I remember) and one about Ashley (it was a parody of a mahou shoujo anime, a rhythm game where you need to touch the screen with the correct timing to help Ashley to complete her "transformation" - that by the way was just an anime mahou shoujo outfit XD).

The one about Adeleine consisted in:
The pyramid level from Kirby 64, with those sky-monitors in the background.
The setting was inspired by Kirby's Dreamland 3's minigames, Kirby on the left side, Adeleine on the right doing a puzzle for Kirby.
Ado draws a random item on the canvas (only the outline): it could be a leaf, an apple, or some water waves.
You must guess the color from the picture, then touch the Pix of the correct color (green, blue or red).
Pix are rotating at the center of the screen until you touch one of them.
If you touch the correct one, the Pix will disappear and Ado's drawing will become colored.
Both Kirby and Adeleine will get an happy expression.
(Now that I think it could be my fault for the existence of Holo Defense API, since this microgame may have inspired them XD)

I would like to show you these microgames but I have absolutely no idea of how to do it.
I remember finding a number of Adeleine microgames for D.I.Y. from what little I've seen of it. One of Kirby dodging her flailing attack and one that seemed consistent of touching one of the 64 friends for Dark Matter to possess. If your microgame still exists somewhere, there might be a way to screenshot and upload it online, though it may have to be done manually considering they shut down the online service.

(I wouldn't worry too much about inspirations, since Nintendo and similar companies don't seem to go with fan ideas most of the time. If they were actually paying attention to your microgame and its theme, they probably wouldn't have created that horribly-executed security system.)

In any case, news would be a great incentive to talk about current events, but I feel like we should also appreciate how far this thread has come. Compared to the two pages of discussion last year, seven pages is pretty sizeable amount. I don't believe the Smash 4 discussion for Adeleine even finished 5 pages. It's all thanks to Adeleine's return. Even in the worst possible future scenarios, at least we can say is that they tried, which is more than what I could say beforehand.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What's up with people calling HAL "cowards" on Twitter?
They can't show the 3rd wave of Dream Friends, they are a company and they follow a plan and a schedule: they will show the characters when they will be ready to.
Honestly, I hope they will show the character close to the release date of the DLC, because another situation like the last time when we had to wait 2 months for Adeleine to be announced would be annoying and frustrating.

The "cowards" comments seem to come from different accounts, though I wonder if it's the same person with multiple accounts or if they are a gorup of persons who are organized and act in a similar way following a strategy... or maybe it's just people who get easily influenced and copy the comments of other users in an unrelated way.

Please, stop with this behavior, it only makes a bad impression of us (long time fans of the series), and it's completely useless because HAL won't change their schedule only for a couple of comments on Twitter.
The DLC will eventually come this winter or even sooner, just be patient.

This behavior also happend with Adeleine in the previous DLC, but in that case I may understand it... I mean, it's wrong and unrespectful, but I can see the reason for people to be angry at HAL, when the character in question was absent from the series for 18 years and was delayed by more than a month in the DLC... I was angry too, even if I didn't react like that.
It was already a bad behavior before, but now it's completely pointless, I wish people would stop before the situation gets worse.

By the way, one of those comments was made by a user who had a similar avatar and nickname to someone who posted here in this thread, I don't want to mention the user, but in case it's actually the same person, I hope the user will reads this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember finding a number of Adeleine microgames for D.I.Y. from what little I've seen of it. One of Kirby dodging her flailing attack and one that seemed consistent of touching one of the 64 friends for Dark Matter to possess. If your microgame still exists somewhere, there might be a way to screenshot and upload it online, though it may have to be done manually considering they shut down the online service.

(I wouldn't worry too much about inspirations, since Nintendo and similar companies don't seem to go with fan ideas most of the time. If they were actually paying attention to your microgame and its theme, they probably wouldn't have created that horribly-executed security system.)

In any case, news would be a great incentive to talk about current events, but I feel like we should also appreciate how far this thread has come. Compared to the two pages of discussion last year, seven pages is pretty sizeable amount. I don't believe the Smash 4 discussion for Adeleine even finished 5 pages. It's all thanks to Adeleine's return. Even in the worst possible future scenarios, at least we can say is that they tried, which is more than what I could say beforehand.
Oh nice, so I wasn't alone... Unfortunatly I have never found any of those microgames; My microgames still exist, and I have it on my DS, it's just that I have no way to show it aside of doing a bad video with the cellphone.
A photo wouldn't be enough since you would lose all the animations and the music/sounds.
I'll eventually post a foto soon, as soon as I have the occasion to do it, but I'd really like to show the actual gameplay.

It's great that the thread went so far, and it's definitely a better situation than Smash 4.
Though, the Smash 4 discussion was moved in a different thread at a certain point, it was moved in the social group section and probably that thread does not exist anymore (I have been unable to find it), so it may be a little more than just 5 pages... though, it was still low with activity and that happend after the release of the game, during the DLC speculation.
We already are in a better situation than the last time and the game is not released yet!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
After Geno, Adeline has always been my favorite "lost" Nintendo character and I hope she finds her back to being a regular character in the Kirby series. Kirby Star Allies may not be the best Kirby game but it's easily the best when it comes to fan service and having Adeline come back after nearly 20 years was really great.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm new to this thread! Adeleine would be an interesting and unique fighter to smash with her beautiful painting skills, so I'm all for it. I LOVE this character, and I was so happy the day she got revealed to Star Allies as a dream friend alongside Ribbon, they were my most anticipated characters for wave 2 (I wish they didn't get datamined). Now that they're back after almost 20 years, I really want them to appear in future Kirby games now that they're relevant again, in fact I want all the dream friends to be recurring characters again in future Kirby games (No one should get left behind). Enough about Star Allies, I do think Ado would be an amazing newcomer with her ability to summo- er.... paint enemies and bosses to life like Kracko and the Ice Dragon (please add her cute dash attack...). While she isn't my most wanted Kirby character, that belongs to Bandana Dee, she is tied with Magolor as my second requested Kirby character. There are so many Kirby characters I want in smash but I know that's not going to happen (You might have an idea on what characters I would like to see in my signature ;), Artworks by the JP Kirby twitter of course). Speaking of the JP Kirby twitter, people were going crazy for the Adeleine and Ribbon reveal so maybe Sakurai could see the popularity and hype from there if he's curious to see why she's so requested.
With all that said, could you add me to the supporter's list? I would love to see this cute painter in smash or any acknowledgement within smash from Sakurai himself, thanks :).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Some photos of the microgame.
I'm making a video with all my microgames (including this one), but something went wrong and now I need to adjust it all again, so it will require me some more time.

This minigame (and another one) uses rotating objects. It's a feature that I have never seen used by anyone else other than me, at least as far as I know. It's a complex trick that you can use to make an object move in circle despite the movement is not supported by default (you have to use some dummy invisible objects to do so).

Last edited:

link3710

Smash Cadet
Wow, Warioware DIY has some crazy tech available it seems. Makes me sad I never got it while it was still active...

link3710

Smash Cadet
Posted this for an Adeleine discussion on discord, thought people here might like to see it.

General info: Adeleine and Ribbon fight as a tag team duo, both always visible on screen. Ribbon spends most of her time riding Adeleine's shoulder unless stated otherwise. The two are rather light, and have a slower than average fall speed on top of that, but make up for it with plenty of options for field control.

Basic techniques:
Jump: First jump is shorter than average, has two additional jumps however with Ribbon's help.
Shield: Animation from hiding behind her canvas.
Walk/Run: From Star Allies

Regular Attacks:
Dash: Closes her eyes, waving the paintbrush back and forth. Will bounce off an enemy rather than running through them like normal dash attacks.
Jab: First two hits are swipes with the paintbrush, followed by Ribbon whacking the opponent with a crystal.
Forward tilt: Swipes her paintbrush like a sword horizontally in front of her. If it misses, paints a Batamon that can absorb a hit, but does no damage if touched. (Star Allies)
Up Tilt: Ribbon jabs her crystal upwards
Down tilt: Adeleine jabs her paintbrush along the ground while Ribbon does the same behind them with her crystal.

Aerials:
Up Air - Waves paintbrush above head. If misses, paints a Bronto Burt who flies forwards. (Crystal Shards)
Forward Air - Ribbon fires her crystal gun
Down Air - Ribbon jabs the crystal downwards
Neutral Air - Ribbon and Adeleine swirl in a circle, damaging anyone they hit. (Star Allies)

Smash Attacks:
Up Smash - Paint I3 above and slightly in front of the pair, who then smashes down to the ground (Star Allies)
Forward Smash - Paints Ghost Knight, who spears ahead of the two (Star Allies)
Down Smash - Paints Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright, who jab out in both directions. (Dream Land 3)

Special Attacks:
Up Special: Paints Kracko, who drags the two along in a straight line (slightly adjustable by the stick) while spinning electricity around him. Only the electrical part of the attack damages. (Dream Land 3 / Star Allies)
Side Special - Paints a small Dark Matter that bursts forwards, doing Damage over Time if it hits. (Black particle effects for darkness) (Dream Land 3 / Crystal Shards)
Neutral Special: Ribbon fires her Crystal gun (Crystal Shards / Star Allies)
Down Special - Summons Ice Dragon who breathes Ice at the opponent with a freezing affect (Dream Land 3 / Star Allies)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Posted this for an Adeleine discussion on discord, thought people here might like to see it.

General info: Adeleine and Ribbon fight as a tag team duo, both always visible on screen. Ribbon spends most of her time riding Adeleine's shoulder unless stated otherwise. The two are rather light, and have a slower than average fall speed on top of that, but make up for it with plenty of options for field control.

Basic techniques:
Jump: First jump is shorter than average, has two additional jumps however with Ribbon's help.
Shield: Animation from hiding behind her canvas.
Walk/Run: From Star Allies

Regular Attacks:
Dash: Closes her eyes, waving the paintbrush back and forth. Will bounce off an enemy rather than running through them like normal dash attacks.
Jab: First two hits are swipes with the paintbrush, followed by Ribbon whacking the opponent with a crystal.
Forward tilt: Swipes her paintbrush like a sword horizontally in front of her. If it misses, paints a Batamon that can absorb a hit, but does no damage if touched. (Star Allies)
Up Tilt: Ribbon jabs her crystal upwards
Down tilt: Adeleine jabs her paintbrush along the ground while Ribbon does the same behind them with her crystal.

Aerials:
Up Air - Waves paintbrush above head. If misses, paints a Bronto Burt who flies forwards. (Crystal Shards)
Forward Air - Ribbon fires her crystal gun
Down Air - Ribbon jabs the crystal downwards
Neutral Air - Ribbon and Adeleine swirl in a circle, damaging anyone they hit. (Star Allies)

Smash Attacks:
Up Smash - Paint I3 above and slightly in front of the pair, who then smashes down to the ground (Star Allies)
Forward Smash - Paints Ghost Knight, who spears ahead of the two (Star Allies)
Down Smash - Paints Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright, who jab out in both directions. (Dream Land 3)

Special Attacks:
Up Special: Paints Kracko, who drags the two along in a straight line (slightly adjustable by the stick) while spinning electricity around him. Only the electrical part of the attack damages. (Dream Land 3 / Star Allies)
Side Special - Paints a small Dark Matter that bursts forwards, doing Damage over Time if it hits. (Black particle effects for darkness) (Dream Land 3 / Crystal Shards)
Neutral Special: Ribbon fires her Crystal gun (Crystal Shards / Star Allies)
Down Special - Summons Ice Dragon who breathes Ice at the opponent with a freezing affect (Dream Land 3 / Star Allies)
That's very cool!
I'm going to add this to the OP!

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh! Another Direct incoming!

I noticed that they specified that this will be the last Direct before release! To specify the release date and not the overall announcements... surely that means this will NOT be the last, correct? So even if Sakurai failed to secure Adeleine in Ultimate, there's a good chance DLC will be on the way, and we can continue to support an inclusion of her in the future!

Last edited:

link3710

Smash Cadet
Yup, DLC is pretty much for sure at this point. Given Kirby didn't get a character in base, I suspect the series stands a very good chance in DLC.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Now, I know this doesn't translate into anything in relation to Smash, but... Halloween Tweet!

My goodness, this is cute! I think it's been a while since the Twitter posted any art, and it warms my heart to see an official source that has Adeleine and Ribbon in costumes! Also I like the Frankenstein's Bonkers and the Jambastion Mages as those jumping zombies that were in Super Mario Land.

Top Bottom