• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
So... 2 spots left.

No Kirby announcement.

I might have to opt out of speculation on Ultimate at some point soon. I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep this up if Adeleine doesn't get recognition by the next two updates. After that, I fear everything in the last update is gonna overwhelm me. Even if the last update somehow adds her, I have my doubts I'm gonna tolerate the last stretch of the speculation being when they finally peaked the hype for me.

But... something nice could still happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A Kirby tournament just came out of nowhere, huh.

Granted, it has the excuse of launching several days late after KSS' anniversary...

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A Kirby tournament just came out of nowhere, huh.

Granted, it has the excuse of launching several days late after KSS' anniversary...
This tweet seems to have brought back attention regarding Sakurai bias, which I'm glad for. People are really acknowledging that this is a problem...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fans in Japan are probably concerned, but we really don't know what Kumazaki and the rest of HAL think about this.

Are they really okay with Sak remaining in his comfort zone forever and really don't want to offend him from having him branch out into Kirby characters he has almost no familiarity with, just sticking with minor advertising content instead? Especially seeing as The Pokémon Company has no problem having him pick from a few flavor of the month Pokémon for every game.

Sooner or later he'll have to realize that he can't run away from his past forever.

At any rate, a placeholder DLC character list with BWDee in it was posted somewhere in 2019 a while back, but I don't know how true it would be (especially given how typical text leaks tend to be). One thing for sure is that a fair few characters from it ended up either playable or as a DLC costume/spirit (or, in some cases, taken off the table entirely), so there might be some truth to it.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/dec/23/rumor-sakurai-choices-leak-ssbu/
https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/464169792/#

Joker (starting since he’s already in)
Amaterasu
Arthur
Bandana Waddle Dee
Banjo
Bill Rizer
Byleth
Captain Toad
Chun-Li
Crash
Crono
Doom Slayer
Erdrick
Ezio
Flynn (SMTIV)
Heihachi
Jibanyan
Lana
Lara Croft
Leon S. Kennedy
Linkle
Lloyd
Lora (Torna)
Luminary
Monster Hunter
Phoenix Wright
Porky
Professor Layton
Rayman
Rex
Ryu Hayabusa
Sephiroth
Shantae
Sora
Spyro
Steve
Terra (FFVI)
Terry Bogard
Yu
Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
Personally, I think it depends on whether or not we get Pass 3 after E3 and the next two fighters blow over...

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
This tweet seems to have brought back attention regarding Sakurai bias, which I'm glad for. People are really acknowledging that this is a problem...
Fine I'll give my 2 cents on this topic.

In Smash 64, Kirby was a very good character, maybe too good in fact. People call Sakurai out for having "Kirby bias". Melee comes around and he nerfs Kirby HARD. Then there's Brawl, and then... Meta Knight happens, people say "Kirby bias" again. Smash 4 nerfs Meta Knight, and seemingly this time around... the "Kirby bias" talk SEEMS to have ceased... for now. Despite this, a few people notice how little represented modern Kirby games are. No stage, no remixes, only a couple trophies and Kirby's new Final Smash. These comments of modern Kirby representation are quiet though, and others ignore this aspect.
And now Ultimate. World of Light trailer shows Kirby being the only survivor to Galeem's attack for some reason. Cue "Kirby bias" once more. Game releases and Kirby fans inmedeatly notice how underwhelming modern game representation really is. Only a few spirits, NO remixes, while the old games like Dream Land/Adventure/Super Star get all this love. Meta Knight gets a DMK and Galacta Knight skin, and Dedede gets Masked Dedede as a Final Smash, but that's about it. KaTAM got a remix... and I can't forget about those Squeak Squad and Kirby 64 remixes in Brawl.. hey at least we got something.

To be frank, all this Kirby bias talk got me thinking... Maybe, and only MAYBE the reason Kirby representation is so polarizing is because of all those louder comments that have more to do with character viability, and the seemingly different meanings of the term "Kirby bias". Some people either say: "Oh this character is broken because Sakurai created it!" or "Why only Super Star? What about the newer Kirby games?". It's all over the place.
Sakurai sees these louder "broken character" comments and assesses them as a general term for the whole series. He doesn't want to make another Brawl Meta Knight making his characters balanced although low tier-ish, and he wants to get the quantity of Kirby content to a generous amount and in line with other series (even though mario pokemon and fire emblem get all that content, so it doesnt add up anyway lol). That would be fine and dandy, but Sakurai just decides to add more content from the games HE'S the most familiar with while the most modern games bite the dust. This seems to be the main problem.

Initially, I would just be like: "OK, that kind of sucks but he probably isn't too familiar with the newer games. He probably wants to give those games proper justice with representation, but since he's not familiar with those games, and is afraid to upset modern fans, so he just plays it safe, and adds content straight from those games, like their original music." But hang on... that just doesn't make sense does it? He has downright stated he played Three Houses before the final game released. That game is a long RPG, and Xenoblade 2 is a long RPG, and Persona 5 is a long RPG, and all of those games take a good while to beat each, so SURELY a 2D platformer like Kirby would only take him a few hours in comparison, right? It wouldn't take too much of his time, and are easier games to play and understand... right? He cares for his son's most recent adventures and new friends... RIGHT?

Well, after this tournament, and those anniversary tweets... yeah he does not care at all LMAO. Really, really sad, but I guess I should've expected it. It's honestly similar to how I feel about the Donkey Kong series' representation. Only the arcade games and DKC1. The other DK games barely get represented if at all. And the Wario series. And the F-Zero series. And even the Sonic series to a certain extent. And how StarTropics fans still have nothing... Yeah...
Hopefully in the next Smash game, things will turn around for Kirby and all those other series I mentioned. But I'm not holding out hope personally.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

The Kirby Twitter retweeted this one. Look who's on the front page!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Among Waddle Dees Among Waddle Dees That one seems to be a picture book or something. I'm glad that Adeleine is getting some merchandise too, it's very rare. It's strange that they used that design... I mean, in the games she has those tiny noodles as legs, while in that artwork they made her legs huge as if they wanted to give her realistic human proportions... Arms are longer too; it's odd, I wonder if she's canonically a human at this point (I never considered her to be an actual human because of how tiny she is considering Kirby's canon size, but maybe proportions don't count because it's all stylized and chibi).

BTW some days ago, on Kirby 64's anniversary day, that same Twitter page posted a Kirby Fighters 2 video that simulated the Kirby 64's level select screen and the story of the Pop-Star levels (meeting the friends and all). Adeleine was not in the video (because they used Kirby Fighters 2 and she's not in the game), but they still referenced her by using a green Artist Kirby. Quite not the same thing as the real deal, but it's something lol. On a side note, they made a post for each KF2 ability/character and they reached the point where only Metaknight is missing, after that post they will probably stop, and move on something else. From next week onward every day is good to announce something new (but we might still get nothing for a while, it depends).

The sequel of the Japan-exclusive book "Find Kirby" also came out, and it should have a couple of Adeleine cameos too (along with many other characters).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

From \ 3/27! / "Kirby Pop-up Shop of the Stars" with the theme of the four seasons opens in Space 7 on the 7th floor of Sapporo PARCO! A large collection of Kirby goods in the venue that expresses the world view of Kirby of the stars! Furthermore, there is also a novelty limited to the venue! ▼ Click here for online store https://kaeru.parco.jp/shop/detail/shop000026755/…

#Kirby of the Stars

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The Kirby Twitter has been silent from since when they finished with the Kirby Fighters 2 stuff; the last somewhat game related post is dated 3 april, almost 2 weeks ago. Now they only retweet stuff of collaborations and merchandise, but nothing related to videogames yet. At this point I'm starting to think that we will get no new info until at least the E3. I really doubt that the silence means that they have nothing to show at all... it's more likely that they are just waiting for the right moment, and since Nintendo will be at E3 I assume that the best moment is that one.

Nintendo at E3 also means that they will almost certainly reveal the next Smash fighter in the same event, and it will be the second to last fighter in the pass (there's a slim chance that they will even reveal both of the final fighters at once but I would not count on it). It's not necessarily meaningful, but this is the current situation of Kirby and Smash.

Still about Kirby's official Twitter, remember when they were doing those weekly posts where Dedede would show pictures of Kirby characters and tell a short description of them? Lately they became, like, monthly or so, and currently a lot of time went since the last post of that series. Maybe that was just promotional filler, but if that thing was there to build up something (the reveal of a never seen before character at the end and the announcement of a new game), the delay (or cancelation) of that series of posts might mean something about the hypotetical game too (Maybe it got delayed?). Strangely enough, the last post so far was about Drawcia, if they did cover Mass Attack too they would have reached the modern Kirby games (Epic Yarn, KSSU and KRTD onward). If those post were really leading to a new game reveal and the game got delayed, it's possible that it was planned to be revealed at E3 but the reveal has been shifted to September or even winter/holidays (since there are rumors of a "Switch Pro" announcement to be imminent too, maybe that's the cause of the delay).

But all of this is heavy speculation, there's no proof that those Dedede posts were related to the announcement of a new game, so it might mean absolutely nothing. To be honest, related to an announcement or not, I would have preferred to get those weekly posts, at least they were something.

It's especially painful when you are also a Sonic fan, and Sega is doing exactly the same thing about their franchise (radio silence) despite it being the year of a big anniversary, and they said there will be new gameS this year to celebrate it. I guess we have to be patient and wait June for everything at this point... it's more or less a couple of months.

EDIT: Another Kirby Fighters 2 post today, it seems they didn't finish with that game, just slowed down a lot. Anyway the most recent posts are about menu easter eggs, they're scratching the bottom of the barrel for KF2 content to show, I'm sure this won't last for long.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy birthday, Kirby! !! This year, we are celebrating with the great kings at "Friends Train"! Shushuppo! Don Don! Puff Puff ~! !! !! !! Please continue to run through various adventure stages energetically! #Kirby 29th Anniversary #Kirby's Happy Birthday

Congratulations Kirby!
#Kirby: Right Back at the Stars 29th Anniversary

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
This thread hasn't been moving much recently, has it?

E3 is close. Whether it causes the support forums to derail, and in the chance we do get something meaningful, something will change. And far more rapidly than last year's ARMS reveal, I can tell.

With my over 2.5 year Soul Melter EX trial FINALLY done, I wish Adeleine, Ribbon, and all their supporters much luck!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Among Waddle Dees Among Waddle Dees
Congratulations for the Soul Melter EX completion!

I'm still hoping for Adeleine to join the roster, but sadly the odds aren't in her favor. It's still possible, but we have to be extremely lucky.
My biggest hope though is for a remake of Kirby 64, with revamped gameplay and visuals, and additional content... I'm waiting/asking for this since a decade now, I wish they would make it real.

Speaking of DLC characters, tomorrow there's a small chance that a double reveal might drop, and speculation would come to an end, so I don't know what to expect, really. If Adeleine is not one of the newcomers (or THE newcomer in case it's only one), I hope she will get a Mii costume at least, or something...

About the next Kirby game, while Star Allies is pretty old now and times seem to be mature for a new game, part of me is convinced that they will wait until next year for the 30th anniversary of the series, so we may not get an announcement at this E3, or we may get the announcement of a spin-off instead. Or a remake, please?

I wish good luck to everyone as well, thank you for supporting Adeleine!

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm playing Kirby 64 once again, after a while.
Currently at the beginning of Ripple Star, every shard so far collected.

I did remember it being visually nice, but I didn't remember it being THIS nice, it's a piece of art and it didn't even age that much, some locations are still amazing to look at despite the old hardware limitations.

I've realized that (also thanks to The Models Resources) most levels are built on a straight line, and despite this, they still feel so deep and lively due to the environments being fully 3D instead of just flat 2.5D (most of the times at least), and the camera angles being more dynamic.

The gameplay sure has its problems but it's still nice to mess around with it: right now I'm experimenting a lot with the transporting feature: some enemies can do special attacks if you grab and transport them over your head. I just learned that you can also transport star blocks and it's extremely weird to look at.

I think it's a shame that this game still didn't recieve a remake, I think that with some improved gameplay, new moves added to the combinations, and more detailed visuals (still being faihful to the original art style which is splendid) this game would be a masterpiece.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I want to write a couple of words about the upcoming Nintendo Direct, it's not Kirby related but I want to talk about some informations that leaked already (it's a legit leak from Nintendo themselves so it's real).

I lied, it's absolutely Kirby related!
There indeed is Kirby content in the direct, a new game to be announced today!
I don't know anything about it, but there is a small picture and a title, I can't read Japanese sadly so I can't translate it
From the picture, it gives me the impression that this is going to be the next mainline Kirby game, not a spin-off!
You know what, the new Kirby game is set in what seems to be a post-apocalyptic Earth setting, the same thing already happend once in the series and it was on Shiver Star! I don't know if there is a connection, but it definitely seems like a realistic human city in ruin! Who's the only human in the series so far? Really, I hope she's involved in the story somehow!
NewKirby.png

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I want to write a couple of words about the upcoming Nintendo Direct, it's not Kirby related but I want to talk about some informations that leaked already (it's a legit leak from Nintendo themselves so it's real).

I lied, it's absolutely Kirby related!
There indeed is Kirby content in the direct, a new game to be announced today!
I don't know anything about it, but there is a small picture and a title, I can't read Japanese sadly so I can't translate it
From the picture, it gives me the impression that this is going to be the next mainline Kirby game, not a spin-off!
You know what, the new Kirby game is set in what seems to be a post-apocalyptic Earth setting, the same thing already happend once in the series and it was on Shiver Star! I don't know if there is a connection, but it definitely seems like a realistic human city in ruin! Who's the only human in the series so far? Really, I hope she's involved in the story somehow!
Hoshi No Kaabii: Discovery is what it translates to! The subtitle kind of implies a sandbox game... OPEN WORLD??

PANIC! What a terrible time for something this big to be leaked! I have nothing to distinguish from the screenshot either... is it solo Kirby? Is it 3D? Who else is appearing in it?

And yeah, a ruined city is an odd locale to distinguish! WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS MEAN? I can't concentrate!

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Inb4 they leave it open ended and to the interpretation of the player if this is actually Earth, Shiver Star, or both.
Also, probably no Kirby friends, it seems he's all alone in an unfamiliar world... but this may change later in the game.

It seems to be like Mario 3D World, linear levels with fixed camera angles, but I think that in Kirby this works way better than in Mario, and the environments are incredible, very detailed and colorful, so even if the level design is a bit simple (not sure about that yet), it's still nice to walk through those beautiful places.

The game looks super good and very fun to play, I like everything of it so far, it will definitely be part of my collection as soon as it comes out.

As I said, probably this game won't feature any of Kirby's friends at all, but I hope they will at least reference Adeleine somehow in the lore, or maybe make her a boss once again like the old times. It's a game set in a human world, they can't skip this chance to make the only human character in the series relevant for once.
Though, I don't know how they can make Adeleine work in 3D when her gimmick is to animate 2D drawings, unless they make some 3D models that look like drawings from any angle, and that's very hard to do well in 3D graphics, but this game seems ambitious enough so who knows.

Seems like the end level door is replaced by a Waddle Dee cage... it seems that the side dees are more orange while the central one is red (but it might be the effect of the glow), I don't know if this can be useful for speculation or not.

The presentation of the game seems to focus a lot on Kirby being alone and "lost", so I doubt it, but the game, as I said, features a similar level structure and camera angles as Mario 3D Wordl, so maybe multiplayer will be a thing and it will be revealed later; maybe some Kirby friends will actually show up... or maybe it's just multicolored Kirby clones... wathever, probably the special mode in this game will be a Waddle Dee mode? I'm not a fan of it and honestly I hope it's something more original, but all the focus on Waddle Dees this game seems to have (there aren't many in the trailer, but it still suggests that every level ends with freeing caged Waddle Dees) makes me think so; also Waddle Dee is the only character who's generic enough to be in the game and still feel like there's no familiar characters in the game other than Kirby, so it would work in the specific context of this game (especially if it's a normal Waddle Dee without any hat).

On a side note, Kirby 64 is coming to NSO too (not from start), so yeah... it's not much but at least Adeleine did show herself up in the Direct for a couple of seconds. Well, it's something lol

EDIT: Also, "Wide Gordos" are the best Gordos (1:53)

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
It’s about time poyo goes 3D, well gameplay wise that is. I always wondered if a 3D Kirby game would be good not just on paper and yeah this seems amazing. The concept itself looks very promising and out of the box too. I can’t wait to know more about the world Kirby’s lost in, since well, it clearly looks like a post apocalyptic planet earth... could it really be that? I can’t wait to find out.
There probably won’t be any human characters however, but there might be some representation of them in abandoned billboards and posters scattered throughout the levels. Of course they’ll most likely resemble Adeleine in terms of design, but I’m still very curious since the human race is something the Kirby series tends to put aside, with the exception of Adeleine and I guess the cameo of the Mario Brothers in Kirby Super Star for the SNES.

Speaking of Adeleine, yeah I really do think it’ll be a big missed opportunity to not have her in any form since yeah it’s pretty much planet earth or at least it heavily resembles it.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What are the chances of Adeleine actually having a role or even just appearing in this new Kirby game?

I've been thinking about this from since when the game got leaked before the direct... there is a big contrast of factors that make me think that an appearance of Adeleine in the game is either very likely or almost impossible.
I'm going to list all the factors that might or might not help the chances of Adeleine to appear in this game:

Against of

• This game seems the perfect chance for a human character to appear in it, but Kirby Canvas Curse and Rainbow Curse were the perfect games for Adeleine to appear and/or have a role in them, and we all know how it ended; this game might be another case like those two; the main enemy of this game seems to be a gang of wild animals, and Adeleine has no connection with them at all; Kirby has a new partner too, and it's a sort of blue flying rabbit-like thing. Humans seem to not be involved in the story so far, aside of being implied to be the lost civilization those ruins were built by.
  • When in the trailer they show the Waddle Dee cage, there are three Waddle Dees... the one at the center is dark red instead of orange (no it's not just lighting, it's of a different shade); I think that said Waddle Dee might play a role in the story, and will probably become Bandana Waddle Dee later in the game, leading the army of Waddle Dees that you release from the cages or something like this. If this is really the plot of the game, I doubt that any other friend of Kirby will be involved in it.
  • This game is the opposite of Star Allies: Instead of being about friendship, it seems to be about being alone lost in an unknown place; instead of being about fanservice and references, it seems to be a soft reboot that welcomes new players to the series (the series' logo has been slightly redesigned too for the first time since Right Back at Ya); in this case, it's less likely to see a character who's not Kirby himself... probably this game will not even include King Dedede as far as we know.
  • The game is 3D while Adeleine's gimmick is designed to work best in 2D.

In favor of

• The game is set in a post-apocalyptic world that's almost identical to planet Earth, suggesting that humans actually exist or have existed in the past; Adeleine is (probably) a human, the only human character in the series, so she might be involved in some way.
  • Adeleine was one of the most requested Dream Friends for Star Allies, she even became trending on Twitter when she got revealed, and that was probably the time when HAL started working on the concept of this game: back then, people said that she was "forgotten", I know that it's just the English title, but "Forgotten Land" might even be a pun if Adeleine ends up having a role in this game... the land of the forgotten one.
  • Adeleine didn't appear in Kirby Fighters 2. If they are going to rotate the cast of characters in each game from now on, every time she does not appear, it's more likely that she will appear in the next game (this might be a weak point, but all the modern games do rotation with enemies, abilities, returning bosses, etc. so I expect them to do it with Kirby's friends too).
  • This game seems to be a little influenced by Mario Odyssey and the whole New Donk City setting. If Bowser's fury also had a bit of influence in it, maybe they would want to put a character with a magical paintbrush who can bring drawings to life out of walls and stuff like Bowser Jr in said game?

In conclusion, I don't really know... it's almost impossible to speculate when things are so much uncertain. If I have to guess, I would say that she actually has a chance of appearing, and that's due to the setting of the game being tied with the possible existence of humans in the Kirby universe; Kumazaki and their team like to put all sort of cameos, references and connections in every game, especially when they make sense contextually... look how Kirby Star Allies implied that Void is connected with both Kirby and Dark Matter, and to all the ancients-related lore from game to game as well (Void Termina uses the Master Crown from KRTD too)... I doubt they would do something like referencing humans in a game and let it be just a coincidence when Adeleine is also human... they will probably connect it through lore if not in the game's story directly; I can totally see something like Dark Metaknight in Triple Deluxe... he's totally absent from the game unless you reach him in the True Arena, which is not even canon in the story... though it's explained (in different media, but confirmed to be canon) that Sectonia became evil due to the Dimensional Mirror and that Dark Metaknight was the mind behind it... yeah I can totally see Adeleine playing a role offscreen like this, or even appearing in some endgame content, but still not having a major role in the main campaign; though I can't imagine her being completely absent and unrepresented in the game when the game is set in waht is basically her homeworld. At worst, it'll be a vague reference up to interpretation, like the whole Morpho-knight butterfly thing, or Galacta Knight being renamed as Aeon Hero in Super Kirby Clash which might imply that he's one of the 4 ancient heroes who sealed Void Termina in the past without outright saying it. That's my guess so far, until a new trailer comes and shakes the things up a bit.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Double post, sorry.

I've got some informations... nothing new, just old stuff that might be related to this game in some way.

1- The lore of Shiver Star

I was looking at the Shiver Star page on Kirby Wiki, and I've read an interesting sentence: the former inhabitants of Shiver Star had to move away from the planet for some mysterious reasons and they left on it some abandoned buildings and factories which are still in function.
This piece of lore apparently comes from the official website of Kirby 64, which despite being very old, is still online, but it's all written in Japanese:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nk4j/buru_s/index.html

Since this part of the lore seems to be official, it's possible that it's still canon and Forgotten Land will reference it. The Forgotten Land might not be Shiver Star, but a human colony made on some other planet after the humans left Shiver Star. Shiver Star is filled with robots and there is a chance that the Haltmann company reached the planet, since the HR robots are probably built by them; that might be the cause of the first migration of the human species, but what happend in the Forgotten Land to make them leave the planet again? Robots are yet to be seen, so that's probably not the cause... are the "Beasts Corps" the reason, or did they came only after nature took over and humans already migrated again?

This theory leaves it open for humans to still exist in the Kirby universe, just not on Earth anymore. Maybe they're spread all around the universe in several colonies.

2- Super Mario Odyssey

This game's setting seems to be a bit inspired by Super Mario Odyssey, especially New Donk City. After thinking more about it, I noticed that it might not be just inspiration, but a direct homage to it. The boss of the shopping mall level is a gorilla who shares some similarities with Donkey Kong, and New Donk City is supposed to be the city where the arcade Donkey Kong game is set.
An old interview of Shigeru Miyamoto came to my mind.
“I was worried about how players would react to being in a world where Mario is this tall and normal people are a little bit taller, or the fact that people don’t get mad at Mario when he’s jumping up and down all over the place. But with all that said, I think I realized that the character Pauline has already existed, and the idea of this game taking place in the city worked out really well. And so we ran with it.”
This also applies to Kirby in a realistic setting, he's going through the same process, and they probably made it in the new game only because they have seen that it worked in Mario Odyssey.
Excluding the fact that normal people don't appear in the new Kirby game (?), the parallel is perfect, especially if you replace Pauline with Adeleine in that sentence.
“Fundamentally, I think that it’s ideal if we can get old characters to do new things. When there is a new game mechanic introduced and there’s a new character that really, really fits well, I think it’s great. But I do have a little bit of hesitancy and resistance when someone’s trying to overbearingly bring their thoughts in, and trying to create new characters over and over again.”
This is what brings me some hope... If this game is really that much influenced by Mario Odyssey like it seems to be so far, this philosophy might have been applied to Kirby as well. We know how in the past they avoided referencing humanoid characters in Kirby because they thought they were unfitting. The same happend with Kirby's Dream Land 2, when in the concept phase, Rick, Kine and Coo were originally planned to be a mech/tank instead of animals, and later the idea got changed because a mech was unfitting for Kirby. The Kirby series evolved and we eventually got Planet Robobot.
So, are they finally going to accept Adeleine as a regular character in the series from now on? Are finally human characters in Kirby not a tabu anymore, since the existence of humans is heavily hinted in this new game?
Only time will tell.

I can't wait for more Forgotten Land news.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Double post, sorry.

I've got some informations... nothing new, just old stuff that might be related to this game in some way.

1- The lore of Shiver Star

I was looking at the Shiver Star page on Kirby Wiki, and I've read an interesting sentence: the former inhabitants of Shiver Star had to move away from the planet for some mysterious reasons and they left on it some abandoned buildings and factories which are still in function.
This piece of lore apparently comes from the official website of Kirby 64, which despite being very old, is still online, but it's all written in Japanese:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nk4j/buru_s/index.html

Since this part of the lore seems to be official, it's possible that it's still canon and Forgotten Land will reference it. The Forgotten Land might not be Shiver Star, but a human colony made on some other planet after the humans left Shiver Star. Shiver Star is filled with robots and there is a chance that the Haltmann company reached the planet, since the HR robots are probably built by them; that might be the cause of the first migration of the human species, but what happend in the Forgotten Land to make them leave the planet again? Robots are yet to be seen, so that's probably not the cause... are the "Beasts Corps" the reason, or did they came only after nature took over and humans already migrated again?

This theory leaves it open for humans to still exist in the Kirby universe, just not on Earth anymore. Maybe they're spread all around the universe in several colonies.

2- Super Mario Odyssey

This game's setting seems to be a bit inspired by Super Mario Odyssey, especially New Donk City. After thinking more about it, I noticed that it might not be just inspiration, but a direct homage to it. The boss of the shopping mall level is a gorilla who shares some similarities with Donkey Kong, and New Donk City is supposed to be the city where the arcade Donkey Kong game is set.
An old interview of Shigeru Miyamoto came to my mind.

This also applies to Kirby in a realistic setting, he's going through the same process, and they probably made it in the new game only because they have seen that it worked in Mario Odyssey.
Excluding the fact that normal people don't appear in the new Kirby game (?), the parallel is perfect, especially if you replace Pauline with Adeleine in that sentence.

This is what brings me some hope... If this game is really that much influenced by Mario Odyssey like it seems to be so far, this philosophy might have been applied to Kirby as well. We know how in the past they avoided referencing humanoid characters in Kirby because they thought they were unfitting. The same happend with Kirby's Dream Land 2, when in the concept phase, Rick, Kine and Coo were originally planned to be a mech/tank instead of animals, and later the idea got changed because a mech was unfitting for Kirby. The Kirby series evolved and we eventually got Planet Robobot.
So, are they finally going to accept Adeleine as a regular character in the series from now on? Are finally human characters in Kirby not a tabu anymore, since the existence of humans is heavily hinted in this new game?
Only time will tell.

I can't wait for more Forgotten Land news.
To be honest, I wouldn't say Adeleine's chances of appearance are particularly high... or low, for that matter. Kind of depends on how they handle it. I think the Odyssey parallel might be the detail that gives me the most hope that she might play a role in Forgotten Land, but it may require direct inspiration. A bit of me is worried that the chinchilla like creature may serve as the Ribbon of the game, and because Ribbon has often been paired with Adeleine since Star Allies, both 64 girls may not appear. But I guess that could be a bit silly, at least considering that little novel they made with Adeleine about platonic love.

What concerns me more is that this thread probably won't last long enough to know for sure. The final character of Smash Ultimate will be upon us, and I suspect it will lock this thread. I hope I'm wrong, Smash would benefit from a finale like an Adeleine newcomer, but there's still some problems I will have even if they reveal her (or I guess any Kirby character) as a fighter at the very last moment. Not much can be done now.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
To be honest, I wouldn't say Adeleine's chances of appearance are particularly high... or low, for that matter. Kind of depends on how they handle it. I think the Odyssey parallel might be the detail that gives me the most hope that she might play a role in Forgotten Land, but it may require direct inspiration. A bit of me is worried that the chinchilla like creature may serve as the Ribbon of the game, and because Ribbon has often been paired with Adeleine since Star Allies, both 64 girls may not appear. But I guess that could be a bit silly, at least considering that little novel they made with Adeleine about platonic love.
Oh, is THAT what that little Kirby children's story in Japan was about?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
A bit of me is worried that the chinchilla like creature may serve as the Ribbon of the game, and because Ribbon has often been paired with Adeleine since Star Allies, both 64 girls may not appear. But I guess that could be a bit silly, at least considering that little novel they made with Adeleine about platonic love.
If Adeleine is involved in this game, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be just Adeleine alone; Ribbon, Ripple Star, the crystals and other stuff from Kirby 64 don't seem to be connected with the story of this game, just Shiver Star and Adeleine for being the only human character in the series. I think that the new partner of Kirby does not affect in any way the chance of Adeleine to appear in the game. Potentially they can even officially split Ado and Adeleine as 2 separated character and in this game we could get Ado with that creature taking place of Ribbon in her moveset (unlikely scenario but not impossible); in that case it wouldn't be Adeleine specifically, but at least to me it wouldn't make much of a difference, the characters are identical.

Also, due to the success of the free DLCs of Star Allies, it's possible that even if she's not in the game at launch, she could be added later as extra content through DLC (maybe there's an extra side story about her in a similar way as how Heroes in Another Dimension was added to Star Allies); I feel like this time DLC will be paid though, especially if the game is a success.

What concerns me more is that this thread probably won't last long enough to know for sure. The final character of Smash Ultimate will be upon us, and I suspect it will lock this thread.
I wish there was a Kirby community that's not some character support thread on a Smash website, Reddit, or some obscure private Discord channel.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just for fun, I decided to try and make a fake story of Forgotten Land with the challenge of making Adeleine relevant in it, because why not.

It's night, Kirby is sleeping in his home. This new little animal character slowly descends from the starry sky with a desperate face.
It gets close to the window of Kirby's home, and does some noise to awake him, without any success... so he attempts to go inside from the chimney pot; despite being small, the creature has some troubles at going through that small hole, and after being stuck for a few seconds, it succeeds, but falling on the floor, getting hurt and doing a lot of noise.
The noise finally awakes Kirby, who, confused and still a bit sleepy, listens to the creature's request of help.
The creature does not really speak, it can say a few words such as "Help" and "Friends in trouble" but can't tell a full sentence.

Kirby gets aboard his Warp Star and travels through the space with this new little friend, in search for their planet.
They finally find it (it's not Shiver Star!), and while they try to land, a gigantic eagle which shares some resemblance with Dynablade attacks them and destroys their Warp Star, making them fall in the open sea. The little creature seems to be hit by the eagle and it's nowhere to be seen.

Kirby awakes on a beach, alone, and decides to explore this unknown place. Abandoned buildings and angry animals are the only things that he found on the planet, and there's no trace of his little friend.
After a while (at the end of the first level), he finally finds the little creature again, who does not seem to remember of what happend before, but still acts the same way: desperate, asking for help.

The game happens, they go through several levels and fight the Beast Corps, freeing some Waddle Dees from cages in the process. Those Waddle Dees were travellers who landed on this planet and got captured, they thank Kirby and join him by supporting him with useful items and help.

At the end of the game, Kirby faces the leader of the Beast Corps (wathever animal it will be) into an underground network of caves. The leader holds a big key at its neck, and when Kirby finally defeats them, the necklace which was holding the key at his neck breaks, causing the key to detach. The little friend of Kirby then decides to go after the key, ignoring the big danger that was the angry leader of the Beast Corps. When the little creature finally gets the key, the leader attacks it and... the little creature vanishes in a weird but still familiar way.

The leader then gets angry and transforms itself in some way, becomes bigger and more menacing. Kirby fights him again, but it does not seem to get any damage. After a while, the little animal friend of Kirby appears again... there are more than just one, there are dozens of them, they hold the leader and force it to expose the weak spot to Kirby. During the fight, those little creatures are occasionally destroyed, but some others seem to come out of nowhere to compensate the loss.

The leader of the Beast Corps is finally defeated once again, this time it has no more energy and can't fight anymore. Kirby gets the key, surrounded by all those weird little floating creatures, and walks to the end of the leader's cave. Around a corner, there's a big prison full of Waddle Dees, there are coutnless of them, and there's a familiar face among them too. Adeleine, she drew those floating animals and sent them to Kirby in search of help, they were pictures brought to life by Adeleine's magic.

After being saved by Kirby, Adeleine explains that she left this planet to study art, but when she returned, she found that all her people were gone and those animals captured her. With a sad expression, she wonders where did her people go, what happend to them and if she will ever be able to meet them again.

The next morning, Kirby, Adeleine and all the Waddle Dees meet together in the city where the game begins, and start the preparations for leaving the planet. As they prepare the Warp Stars, the major members of the Beast Corps come there, but this time they don't seem to be angry anymore. They can barely speak, they apologise to Kirby for the troubles. The leader explains that he ordered to capture any alien who landed on this planet because last time they were colonized by them, and the aliens transformed their natural paradise into a wasteland. Kirby and his friends only wanted to leave the planet, and the Beast Corps didn't have anything against that.

Adeleine gets closer to the leader of the Beast Corps and asks them where the other people like her went, and why is this place so empty. Surprisingly, they don't know, it's apparently not their fault, but something definitely happend time ago, something that they didn't understand which made all the aliens leave.

Kirby and all his friends fly away on their Warp Stars creating a spectacular choreography of lights in the sky, but just when they leave, a dark portal opens on the ground and a sinister laughter is heard coming out from it.

This is where the game ends if you don't get all the collectables. (The secret final boss is a return of Nightmare, the real one, not Parallel; humans are stuck in the world of nightmares and are tormented by horrible dreams; Nightmare was once human as well, he found the human colony and wanted to get a revenge against them for banishing him from Earth ages ago).

Ok, if you read it, this is exactly what will not happen in the real game lol but it would be nice if it did.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Well, if there's one thing I learned from all this speculation, it's that I was a fool for assuming Adeleine needed a big boost in popularity. I don't particularly blame myself, hindsight never requires glasses, but it is interesting to have grown as a person from the appearances of one character. Yeah, yeah, I realize this isn't a thread on therapy, but Adeleine's saga feels like it belongs in a lengthy analysis video. Maybe I should do that one day... assuming I ever have the sudden dedication.

This story obviously won't end anytime soon, it's just a shame it will get to the point where it can't be told here.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
At the end, none of my most wanted made it into the game, not even my secondaries. None of them at all. I'm a bit sad but also happy because, since nothing in this new Smash game interests me, I can finally skip this entry completely and save 60 or 70 euros wathever it costs. I've been patient and waited for all the content of the game to be showcased before taking this decision; no need to have Ultimate when all of Ultimate's content that interests me is in Smash 4 as well and I already own it in two versions.

As for Adeleine, they enjoyed boasting about how many characters are represnted in the game, and as a supporter of her (who's not represented at all despite deserving it) that part of the video felt disrespectful (it would have costed nothing for them to add one .png).

Thank you Sakurai for making me lose interest in what once was one of my favorite videogame series (Smash Bros).

P.S.: I was working on a new artwork featuring a sad Ribbon, anticipating that Adeleine would not have been the last DLC, though I couldn't finish it in time and I didn't want to rush it, so probably I won't be able to post it in the thread because it will be closed before I will finish it.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
At the end, none of my most wanted made it into the game, not even my secondaries. None of them at all. I'm a bit sad but also happy because, since nothing in this new Smash game interests me, I can finally skip this entry completely and save 60 or 70 euros wathever it costs. I've been patient and waited for all the content of the game to be showcased before taking this decision; no need to have Ultimate when all of Ultimate's content that interests me is in Smash 4 as well and I already own it in two versions.

As for Adeleine, they enjoyed boasting about how many characters are represnted in the game, and as a supporter of her (who's not represented at all despite deserving it) that part of the video felt disrespectful (it would have costed nothing for them to add one .png).

Thank you Sakurai for making me lose interest in what once was one of my favorite videogame series (Smash Bros).

P.S.: I was working on a new artwork featuring a sad Ribbon, anticipating that Adeleine would not have been the last DLC, though I couldn't finish it in time and I didn't want to rush it, so probably I won't be able to post it in the thread because it will be closed before I will finish it.
Yeah i 100% agree smash really lost most of its Magic!

It seems random at times, marketing heavy, and generally just not fair towards certain Franchises remember brawl a game in which every franchise got a similar ammount of love and it was still a joy for nintendo fans? i do and honestly i miss that time a bit! and im called toxic even tho i only asked for this
Just give me 1 kirby and 1 zelda char thats it i didnt ask for more yet people call me toxic WHAT? Also ive got called out for basic political opions here got insulted and a lot of other things right now i remember more sad or bad smash things than things that make me happy!

The only thing i can hope for is that smash 6 focuses more on us nintendo fans and doesnt cut the roster into a ammount thats too small for me!

And i say that as someone who would prefer most chars asside marx (and other sakurai chars + some others and enemys) over adeline but i think we kirby fans can relate to how screwed over we were!

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, what a total waste.

Unfortunately, that's what I get for assuming this game had a spark of hope. I was worried from the very beginning that Sakurai was not fit for the type of Smash game I wanted to see, but I still pushed forward. And go figure, the DLC solved absolutely nothing. I'm not kidding, BTW; only two inclusions interested me significantly and I would've lost no sleep if they remained absent or in the spirit list, respectively.

And yeah, what a slap in the face for calling Ultimate a big representation of gaming! Adeleine was only one of the many issues I had with Kirby in Smash, NONE of which were resolved. Ultimate has WORSE Sakurai bias than Smash 4 did in the end! And unlike Smash 4, they didn't even pretend to acknowledge it!

But I think what angered me most was the ballot tie-in. Sora's "hype" factor in that presentation basically confirms they lied when asking for why these characters should be added. All they did was tally; and I knew this when they claimed that for Bayonetta, but it's especially egregious now that Adeleine appeared in Star Allies. The ballot era coincided with a dark age of Kirby when they made an Adeleine expy to compensate for the "lack" of a magic paintbrush. Using that same data to push your current day decisions was a terrible decision, then and now.

I... think I may need to stay away from Smashboards for a bit. As mentioned before, what a waste of time and energy.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Yeah, what a total waste.

Unfortunately, that's what I get for assuming this game had a spark of hope. I was worried from the very beginning that Sakurai was not fit for the type of Smash game I wanted to see, but I still pushed forward. And go figure, the DLC solved absolutely nothing. I'm not kidding, BTW; only two inclusions interested me significantly and I would've lost no sleep if they remained absent or in the spirit list, respectively.

And yeah, what a slap in the face for calling Ultimate a big representation of gaming! Adeleine was only one of the many issues I had with Kirby in Smash, NONE of which were resolved. Ultimate has WORSE Sakurai bias than Smash 4 did in the end! And unlike Smash 4, they didn't even pretend to acknowledge it!

But I think what angered me most was the ballot tie-in. Sora's "hype" factor in that presentation basically confirms they lied when asking for why these characters should be added. All they did was tally; and I knew this when they claimed that for Bayonetta, but it's especially egregious now that Adeleine appeared in Star Allies. The ballot era coincided with a dark age of Kirby when they made an Adeleine expy to compensate for the "lack" of a magic paintbrush. Using that same data to push your current day decisions was a terrible decision, then and now.

I... think I may need to stay away from Smashboards for a bit. As mentioned before, what a waste of time and energy.
Atleast the whole of sakurais obsession with videogames must die thing gave me an idea:

i say: Videogames are immortal!!!!!!!!!!!!! (atleast in a way!)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I suppose the thread will be locked sometimes today?
Apparently a new section for the next Smash game speculation will be opened soon, though I'm not in the mood of opening an Adeleine support thread there for now... maybe in the future, I don't know.

The point is that Smash is losing me, I'm less and less interested in this series as the time goes... I see more bias, marketing and overall bad choices slowly taking away everything I liked out of Smash.

Smash Ultimate has really been the celebration of JRPGs, old school fighting games, and overall Sakurai's personal favorite games, and I'm sick of this; quantity over quality, shortcomings everywhere in favor of numbers, resources gone into bringing back all the characters including the unnecessary ones (Pichu, Dr Mario, Dark Pit, etc.) for no reason at all, disappointing amount of new content in base game because you are supposed to spend extra money in DLCs.
If the series is going to continue this way, you can count me out, I'll spend my money and especially my time on something else.

On top of that, I didn't finish that Ribbon artwork so I'm sorry I think I won't publish it in this thread.

A last thing: I would like a place where I can discuss about the Kirby series with other fans, a place that looks like a traditional forum and not a discord channel or reddit. If someone knows of a place like this, please tell me... if the thread is closed, you can contact me in private messages too. There used to be Kirby Rainbow Resort but it's dead by decades now.

Thanks to all the supporters, it's especially thanks to you that Adeleine has been able to return, in the main series at least. Without the fans asking for her, this would have never happend, so even if she's not in Smash (and likely never will as long as Sakurai is the director, rumors about him hating the character might be real after all, considering how he avoided referencing her and Ribbon both in Brawl's stickers and Ultimate's spirits), your support has still been very useful and of great value. Let's hope Mr Kumazaki will do the miracle and finally turn Adeleine into a series' main stay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom