Adeleine, the Miracle Painter: Chasing her Dream of being a DLC (& Ribbon?)

Consider me a supporter. Kirby 64 was the first game I played. Boy was my perception of the series very different from what it actually was, because there's just no other Kirby game like it, except for maybe Dreamland 3. I thought there was only one Waddle Dee, and he was like the Luigi to Kirby's Mario or something. I thought Dedede was a stoic loner type character because of his eyes and demeanor. And I thought Adeline was a series regular.

There's been several Kirby characters introduced before this and since this but none of them were really as interesting to me as Adeline. I'm kind of bummed out that it took this long for her to make a comeback.

I'll never be able to underestand this kind of mindset. Fighting games should have as many characters as they can. And crossover history lessons like Smash especially should keep most of the characters unless they're deemed not very important, and there's few characters on the roster I'd consider not important enough for Smash. Even the characters I don't personally like are characters that I can fight against.
Partly due to cultural habit, there's been a pretty big disconnect from the various directors who worked on the franchise, since they typically didn't reuse any noteworthy characters outside of the core three. :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: It wasn't until RTDL onwards that there's been a gradual attempt at gathering them back and reconciliating various elements, so the series has been aimless until that point. And it was a pity she didn't become playable in 64 as originally intended. That said, welcome to the artist's studio!

The nice thing about Smash is that every character that makes it gets a kind of immunity. It doesn't matter if they get cut from a game or two, they can always come back in a future entry. The original 12 are a universal constant, of course.

Switch FC
SW-5046-3459-6799
Partly due to cultural habit, there's been a pretty big disconnect from the various directors who worked on the franchise, since they typically didn't reuse any noteworthy characters outside of the core three. :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: It wasn't until RTDL onwards that there's been a gradual attempt at gathering them back and reconciliating various elements, so the series has been aimless until that point. And it was a pity she didn't become playable in 64 as originally intended. That said, welcome to the artist's studio!

The nice thing about Smash is that every character that makes it gets a kind of immunity. It doesn't matter if they get cut from a game or two, they can always come back in a future entry. The original 12 are a universal constant, of course.
Again, the designers implied in their "next phase" comment that somehow the next Kirby title is going to be different than the ones we currently have. I wonder if that means instead of focusing on just Kirby, they'll expand on the series and feature/stare more characters.

Again, the designers implied in their "next phase" comment that somehow the next Kirby title is going to be different than the ones we currently have. I wonder if that means instead of focusing on just Kirby, they'll expand on the series and feature/stare more characters.
I didn't hear anything about a "next phase" comment, what's this about? Was it in one of the spoilers?

I mean, the idea that they want to try something new is not that surprising. Star Allies had a complicated development cycle and has released a bunch of new implications that changed the nature of many Kirby theories. It definitely feels like they've used Star Allies as the launching point for something. But what could this comment mean? A 3D Kirby game? A proper action fighter to make up for Battle Royale? A Kirby Air Ride sequel with every Dream Friend?!
There's a lot they could do, I just hope they keep remembering Adeleine in the process.

Also, I totally missed Page 12. Speculation is fierce right now, isn't it?

Switch FC
SW-5046-3459-6799
I didn't hear anything about a "next phase" comment, what's this about? Was it in one of the spoilers?

I mean, the idea that they want to try something new is not that surprising. Star Allies had a complicated development cycle and has released a bunch of new implications that changed the nature of many Kirby theories. It definitely feels like they've used Star Allies as the launching point for something. But what could this comment mean? A 3D Kirby game? A proper action fighter to make up for Battle Royale? A Kirby Air Ride sequel with every Dream Friend?!
There's a lot they could do, I just hope they keep remembering Adeleine in the process.

Also, I totally missed Page 12. Speculation is fierce right now, isn't it?
One of the soundtrack added in the wave 3 update was "A Farewell to Kirby." People saw this and a rumor spread that Star Allies was going to be the last Kirby game. The dev team cleared this up, stating the next Kirby title is already in development and they'll be transitioning to the "next phase" of the Kirby series.

Also, I don't know if this has been said before, but King Dedede's victory animation does feature the Waddle Dee in it, just only when he's by himself. This doesn't hurt Dee's chances, just felt like throwing this out there.

Who knows? I wouldn't mind side mini-games like Dedede's Drum Dash if they can't do something bolder than that in terms of spin-offs. All we know of that's coming right now is the Epic Yarn port, so I doubt that game'll be the next year's quota.

Switch FC
SW-5046-3459-6799
Who knows? I wouldn't mind side mini-games like Dedede's Drum Dash if they can't do something bolder than that in terms of spin-offs. All we know of that's coming right now is the Epic Yarn port, so I doubt that game'll be the next year's quota.
It can't be. What's amazing about being a Kirby fan is that there's usually 2-3 new titles each year. They seriously crank out these games.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So, how big is the chance of getting Adeleine as DLC now?

I have read a lot of comments about a Reggie quote.
They say that Reggie announced that all the characters will come from new franchises, unrepresented in Smash...
Though someone posted the actual quote, and it seems to imply a different thing:
he said that all the characters will be new to the series... (he probably meant new to Smash).
The characters will be new, not their series... I guess he meant unique, something never seen before (they will probably all have unique gameplay gimmicks).
The point of his sentence was that they will be unexpected; they insist saying that all the DLC characters will be unexpected.

So, what about Adeleine?

The reveal of Joker and the ambiguous quote from Reggie affect her chance both positively and negatively:

Positively
-New to Smash may mean that the character does not appear in the game in any form (not even as a spirit). Adeleine is not a spirit.
-The thing that they will all come from unrepresented series seem to be just a misconception.
-Adeleine has potential for unique gameplay, bringing to Smash something new (new to the series).
-The fact that the newcomers will be unexpected leaves the most requested characters out, because they wouldn't be unexpected.
-Adeleine is definitely unexpected.

Negatively

-In case with new he meant new series/third parties, then it's unlikely to get a Kirby newcomer.
-Despite the fact that Nintendo selected the characters, a third party with little connections to Nintendo has been revealed: this suggests that Nintendo selecting the characters doesn't mean more first parties, and that it's even possible that most, if not all of the DLCs will be third parties.
-Apparently Joker can summon a Persona. I don't know how this will be implemented in gameplay, but it is possible that he will be a summoner, stealing that role to Adeleine (I doubt they will put 2 summoners in 5 characters, especially if they want them to be unique).
-I have the suspect that they will try to cater to Sony and Microsoft fans more than to Nintendo fans, because, this way, they introduce those people to Smash, where they can learn about Nintendo, their characters and their games, and become Nintendo fans too.
This makes sense marketing-wise, and if this is true, it's possible that all the DLCs have been chosen with Sony/Microsoft players in mind, lowering the chance of getting someone like Adeleine.

So if we only consider Nintendo characters, by not being a spirit, her chance is still higher than usual, along with Porky and Sylux (and someone else), but this may not be enough, especially if we also consider third parties that will probably be the focus of the DLCs.
I would say that she has something between 20 to 30% of chance of happening: not too bad, but too low for starting to rise our expectations or getting hyped.

I have a final observation:
It may mean nothing, but just before Joker was announced, the Joker support thread had a very similar amount of posts as this thread right now (more or less).
Isabelle's thread was around 400 posts too, though we were at 300 at the time, if I remember well.
Yeah, this is pointless I know.

I hope that Adeleine will be one of the final 4 DLCs, though my hopes are fading more and more with the time.

A few more points in her favor, potentially:

1) I find it unlikely that they'd reveal two characters from the same series at the same time (unless the wave does really well enough to have a second one approved by Ninty, anyway). It's either Addy or the Dee, one spot only, Final Destination.

2) As I had suspected, it seems that they've kicked off this round of DLC without relying on showing off an unfinished model, so it stands to reason that they'll use trailers more often this time. If that's the case, Addy could have a reveal trailer done by HAL, in the style of the modern Kirby entries.

3) The relative recency of Joker's origins compared to nearly everyone else shows that Nintendo and Sakurai don't limit themselves to anyone that's been considered before 2015, unlike with the base roster (except for Incineroar, whose debut was in the same year as Joker), so it's possible that they might have paid attention to Addy's reception in Star Allies.

Last edited:
Gonna say it: Addy is probably more likely than Dee at this point. All I want is just one Kirby newcomer so Sakurai can recognize us. It's been over a decade.
I think this is technically true, but I'm extremely concerned that the bar has now been set too high. If the rest of the DLC are heavy hitters, no Kirby rep stands a chance, let alone Ado.

I could easily talk of my problem with the lack of new Kirby reps, something I specifically asked them to fix in the ballot days. However, my current focus is for Adeleine to get representation, the lack of her in Smash has nagged me for years. I don't care if she's an afterthought DLC spirit, I would gladly take that over the current build.

Switch FC
SW-5046-3459-6799
I think this is technically true, but I'm extremely concerned that the bar has now been set too high. If the rest of the DLC are heavy hitters, no Kirby rep stands a chance, let alone Ado.

I could easily talk of my problem with the lack of new Kirby reps, something I specifically asked them to fix in the ballot days. However, my current focus is for Adeleine to get representation, the lack of her in Smash has nagged me for years. I don't care if she's an afterthought DLC spirit, I would gladly take that over the current build.
Bandana Dee is the only heavy hitting Kirby fighter I can think of. Marx, Magolor, Addy and Gooey would be semi-heavy. But I'm pretty sure we're getting all third parties, and judging by his bis toward pre-Sakurai Kirby of modern Kriby, the next Kirby rep will probably be one Sakurai himself designed.

I don't think a bunch of third parties are "heavy hitters", personally.

Switch FC
SW-5046-3459-6799
I don't think a bunch of third parties are "heavy hitters", personally.
Me neither. I dislike the idea of having more than 2-3 third parties. The only third party characters I'd welcome are PAC MAN, Master Chief, de Blob and he Belmonts. Any combination of 2-3 of those would be fine by me. Not 11 third parties with 4 more to go.

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Bandana Dee is the only heavy hitting Kirby fighter I can think of. Marx, Magolor, Addy and Gooey would be semi-heavy. But I'm pretty sure we're getting all third parties, and judging by his bis toward pre-Sakurai Kirby of modern Kriby, the next Kirby rep will probably be one Sakurai himself designed.
I don't know really... I think that Magolor and Marx are just as heavy hitters, maybe less requested by the Smash fans, but still very popular and with some nostalgia factor on some people.
(On the other hand, I doubt Gooey would be that much hype of a character).

I'm not sure if Adeleine would be an heavy hitter or not... one day, nobody cares about her, the day after, she's a fan favorite and Twitter explodes because of her... I don't know really.
The main issue is that all those other characters are warriors or wizards from other dimensions who tried to destroy the universe, while Adeleine is just a girl who likes to paint... Probably the other characters are more accepted because they look cooler/more edgy; though, I'm sure that if they will introduce Adeleine in Smash, people would start to appreciate her and she would become a main stay in the roster, in a similar way as what happend to Jigglypuff and the Ice Climbers (they were removed and people wanted them back), and that probably will happen to Isabelle as well.

By the way, I agree about third parties, I don't like them too.
To me, only the iconic classics should be allowed, those who had a big history with Nintendo, not just a cameo in a spin-off game.

Maybe only stuff like Megaman, Bomberman, the classic Final Fantasy characters (Black Mage/White Mage). I can accept Sonic because of the rivality with Mario in the '90s but that's it; characters like Snake, Cloud and Bayonetta are definitely out of place in Smash, and I have the feeling that Joker will be the next one to look that way.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-5046-3459-6799
I don't know really... I think that Magolor and Marx are just as heavy hitters, maybe less requested by the Smash fans, but still very popular and with some nostalgia factor on some people.
(On the other hand, I doubt Gooey would be that much hype of a character).

I'm not sure if Adeleine would be an heavy hitter or not... one day, nobody cares about her, the day after, she's a fan favorite and Twitter explodes because of her... I don't know really.
The main issue is that all those other characters are warriors or wizards from other dimensions who tried to destroy the universe, while Adeleine is just a girl who likes to paint... Probably the other characters are more accepted because they look cooler/more edgy; though, I'm sure that if they will introduce Adeleine in Smash, people would start to appreciate her and she would become a main stay in the roster, in a similar way as what happend to Jigglypuff and the Ice Climbers (they were removed and people wanted them back), and that probably will happen to Isabelle as well.

By the way, I agree about third parties, I don't like them too.
To me, only the iconic classics should be allowed, those who had a big history with Nintendo, not just a cameo in a spin-off game.

Maybe only stuff like Megaman, Bomberman, the classic Final Fantasy characters (Black Mage/White Mage). I can accept Sonic because of the rivality with Mario in the '90s but that's it; characters like Snake, Cloud and Bayonetta are definitely out of place in Smash, and I have the feeling that Joker will be the next one to look that way.
That's true about Magolor and Marx. Apparently Magolor is very popular in Japan.
As for Gooey, he's popular, and some people say he would be better than Dee as a Kirby p4 rep, but they're more of vocal minority if anything.

I agree with everything you said about Addy and 3rd parties.