• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adeleine, the Miracle Painter (& Ribbon?): Sorry for the wait... but the wait continues.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Now, I know this doesn't translate into anything in relation to Smash, but... Halloween Tweet!

My goodness, this is cute! I think it's been a while since the Twitter posted any art, and it warms my heart to see an official source that has Adeleine and Ribbon in costumes! Also I like the Frankenstein's Bonkers and the Jambastion Mages as those jumping zombies that were in Super Mario Land.
How can a picture be so perfect? That's... just perfect! I have no additional words!

That's nice, really, some Adeleine awesomeness to make the wait for the Smash Direct less frustrating...
I hope that, in case of Adeleine in Smash, they will put the baker and witch costumes in the game as well XD
I would main Witch Adeleine instantly :colorful:

I have so much to say, all these weeks without activity and I was unable to post without doubleposting.
(I still haven't finished the Wario Ware video due to laziness).
EDIT: I wonder if the Team Kirby Clash passwords of the past months were hinting at this picture all the time... hints at Adeleine, and then Halloween.
EDIT2: LOL it took me a while to realize that the Frankenstein thing in the lower left corner is actually a Bonkers.
EDIT3: 10 PAGES!!!

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
THIS POST CONTAINS DIRECT SPOILERS for people who don't want the game spoiled before the release.

So, at the end, no Adeleine related content was shown.
She has a chance to appear as a spirit, though I set my expectations low, since she has already been excluded from the Brawl stickers.

Also, Piranha Plant breaks all the selection criterias of Smash, even characters who aren't important can join the roster, apparently.
I won't lie, Piranha Plant looks awesome, his gameplay is very creative and faithful to the source material, it's one of my favorite newcomers of this new Smash, if not my top favorite (gameplay-wise); but, character-wise, it's just a mob...
Maybe it doesn't count because it's just a bonus for preorders, it doesn't even appear in the mural after all, but still...
Well, anyway, I'll probably be unable to play as him, because I'm not planning to buy Switch and Smash soon, and I'll miss the preorder sadly (I may buy the paid version of the character when I will get Smash, but so far Swithc has low priority in my real life; maybe if it was cheaper...)

At this point, she has been deconfirmed as an assist trophy even more, with Nikki and Vince doing exactly what she does (especially Vince).
I think that they didn't show all the 59 assist trophies yet, maybe I'm wrong but I think there are still some missing; but Adeleine is very unlikely with 2 paint to life assist trophies already in the game.
On the bright side, the 2 assist trophies don't deconfirm Adeleine. Yeah, they do the same thing as her, but they are assist trophies, not fighters, and they aren't the same character as her, they're not even from the same series; if anything, if they added Vince despite Nikki was already in, this means that Sakurai doesn't care of "that character already does the same thing".
Though, I think that with 5 DLC slots, it's unlikely that Adeleine will be one of them... well, it's unlikely that any Kirby character will be one of them.

I think that at least 1 or 2 of those slots will be third parties, and the others will be some of the most requested characters, maybe Geno, a Rhythm Heaven rep, a gen 8 pokèmon, Dixie Kong, etc. They come with a stage and music, so it's unlikely that they will come from an existing franchise, or if they do, they wil probably come from a specific memorable game that can bring in an iconic location/visuals and some iconic game-specific music (example: Rosalina and Super Mario Galaxy). Technically Adeleine or Dark Matter can fit this scheme if they consider the whole Dark Matter Trilogy, but I doubt she is popular enough to sell as DLC (I hope, but being honest the chance is low).

But since she has not been shown as a spirit (yet), she's definitely still not deconfirmed... so, even if she's unlikely, I won't give up!

I don't know if spirits count as deconfirmations, but so far, Gooey, Magolor, Prince Fluff, a generic Waddle Dee, and Daroach have been shown as spirits.
This leaves Adeleine (& Ribbon), Marx and Bandana Waddle Dee still with a chance, unless they get spotted in the treehouse or when the game will come out. This assuming that the spirits count as deconfirmations.

On a side note, a more general comment on the direct: I'm not disappointed of this direct and the game in general, it's definitely an improvement from Brawl and 4 (at least it looks like), it's just that it misses a strong selling point for me. I'll probably buy it sometime in the future, but I'm not planning to get it at launch (I don't own a Switch yet also).
I'm not disappointed that the Grinch Leak was fake, I was convinced that it was super fake since the first time I have seen the picture, there was no chance for it to be real for me. I'm more surprised that at the end, Vergeben was right, and the box theory too (yeah it was a possibility, but far from 100% of chance).
And at the end, the Ken leak was the only true image leak around (expected, but still with a 90/99% of chance, not 100%).

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
What a disappointment... but hope is not lost!

I noticed how some of the Kirby series spirits were characters Sakurai did not make... at least that confirms the Smash 4 problem is not completely present, even if no new Kirby rep is. Nightmare (again) and Vince as assist trophies is HIGHLY annoying, but I recall I was equally as bothered by the Artist ability way back in January. What happened to Star Allies could very well happen in Smash Ultimate!

The only problem is that there only seem to be five DLC fighters, but that may not be the only thing they're adding. We'll see... in a year or so. Until then, I am sadly not that interested in Ultimate.

link3710

Smash Cadet
As for ATs, they revealed all 59 on the website, so I can confirm Nightmare and Knuckle Joe are still the only Kirby ATs. But we will see what happens with DLC! Kirby getting a DLC rep seems fairly likely, though who it is is still up in the air.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
As for ATs, they revealed all 59 on the website, so I can confirm Nightmare and Knuckle Joe are still the only Kirby ATs. But we will see what happens with DLC! Kirby getting a DLC rep seems fairly likely, though who it is is still up in the air.
Don't forget Kawasaki. That makes it 3.

And also because how similar Nikki's powers are to Adeleine, her chances of being an assist is slim to none imo. So at least we won't be getting any deconfirmation.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
A few minutes ago, HAL just dropped this on Twitter!

A new mode based on Subspace Another Dimension, and you play as the Dream Friends! All of them!
It looks awesome, and especially, it seems hard, finally!

Not to mention the awesome new artwork with Adeleine & Ribbon!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A few minutes ago, HAL just dropped this on Twitter!

A new mode based on Subspace Another Dimension, and you play as the Dream Friends! All of them!
It looks awesome, and especially, it seems hard, finally!

Not to mention the awesome new artwork with Adeleine & Ribbon!
You know, seeing all of those character together like that really reminds me how much I want to see a Kirby fighting game. And not a Kirby fighting game like Kirby Fighters was, but a more traditional fighting game that could stand out more and really use this cast to its full potential.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
You know, seeing all of those character together like that really reminds me how much I want to see a Kirby fighting game. And not a Kirby fighting game like Kirby Fighters was, but a more traditional fighting game that could stand out more and really use this cast to its full potential.
This is honestly something that could make the pain of Smash ease up a bit, and I've wanted it for a while. There's a lot you could do with an expanded Kirby Fighters of this character multitude. This is what I thought Battle Royale would be over a year ago, but... well.

The new wave looks interesting, certainly it seems to be a step up from the other updates, but something is nagging me about it. I'm sure something new will show up in the campaign, and I'm looking forward to the new Dream Friends, but perhaps I'm worried it might not be enough to satisfy the masses. I like Star Allies, but I am aware it has problems.

The fact that Adeleine and Ribbon are representing Wave 2 here is uplifting, though! So have they finally been adopted by modern Kirby? Will they be making regular appearances in future games from here on out? I guess we'll see, but let's hope!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is honestly something that could make the pain of Smash ease up a bit, and I've wanted it for a while. There's a lot you could do with an expanded Kirby Fighters of this character multitude. This is what I thought Battle Royale would be over a year ago, but... well.

The new wave looks interesting, certainly it seems to be a step up from the other updates, but something is nagging me about it. I'm sure something new will show up in the campaign, and I'm looking forward to the new Dream Friends, but perhaps I'm worried it might not be enough to satisfy the masses. I like Star Allies, but I am aware it has problems.

The fact that Adeleine and Ribbon are representing Wave 2 here is uplifting, though! So have they finally been adopted by modern Kirby? Will they be making regular appearances in future games from here on out? I guess we'll see, but let's hope!
You know, whenever I imagine a more traditional style Kirby fighting game, I always picture Arc System Works being the ones to help out. Seems like the right team for the job to me.

I have always held a belief about Star Allies, and that this was the game where HAL went back to explore themselves a bit. It would explain why things are a bit more traditional, but also the numerous references they put in. From little background details, from the numerous anime references, to the lore implications, and lastly, the returning faces. Everything felt like HAL was looking back at themselves as if to get a grip on something.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I finally finished the video; this video was cursed, I had a lot of problems, the sound going out of sync, the beginning and end of the sections all messed up, and stuff, I had to restart it almost from scratch twice.

The Adeleine microgame starts at 1:30, but if you are interested you can watch the whole video as well, it contaains my best microgames made with the in-game editor.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I finally finished the video; this video was cursed, I had a lot of problems, the sound going out of sync, the beginning and end of the sections all messed up, and stuff, I had to restart it almost from scratch twice.

The Adeleine microgame starts at 1:30, but if you are interested you can watch the whole video as well, it contaains my best microgames made with the in-game editor.
Whoa, you sure put a lot of effort into your microgames! No wonder you used to win the contests. Let me just say for a second that that Ojamajo Ashley microgame is FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Whoa, you sure put a lot of effort into your microgames! No wonder you used to win the contests. Let me just say for a second that that Ojamajo Ashley microgame is FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you :)
Anyway, as I said, there was more than just 1 winner in those contests, the group of the winners was large enough that it wasn't that hard to be part of it, especially since I got the game late and the userbase was probably small at that time. Overall, I think they picked about 2 microgames for each country as winner, occasionally more, occasionally less.

I'm glad you got the reference XD Ojamajo parodies like that have been a sort of personal meme for a while in the past, I don't know, I found them funny for some reason (and that's the exact first thing I thought when I saw that Halloween picture with witch Adeleine :grin:).
That specific microgame has been a favorite of some people from the Italian Nintendo community I was part of at the time when I made it, and while I initially made it as a joke and it was a rushed work, I was surprised that so many people liked it that much, so I decided to enhance it with better graphics and gameplay improvements (that one in the video is already the improved version).
Probably I should have published it in the Aslhey thread too, but since I already published it in the Rhythm Heaven thread and here, I didn't because I felt too much like a spammer.

Back on Adeleine, this is funny because I submitted the Adeleine game in one of the contests and it was selected as a winner. When a minigame was selected as a winner, Nintendo published it and it was possible to download it for everyone (for a limited time if I remember, I'm not sure).
Since it was published by Nintendo, that's officially the first time Nintendo published some new game content with Adeleine in it since Kirby 64, way before Star Allies (I'm not counting ports or the use of old artworks for cameos, I'm talking of "new" content).
Well, I'm not sure if it counts, it's fan-made content and all, but the fact is, Nintendo published some game content with Adeleine in it, and to be honest, I did it on purpose as soon as I realized that they were constantly picking my games; the whole microgame was like a troll move by me to Nintendo and HAL for neglecting Adeleine XD.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad you got the reference XD Ojamajo parodies like that have been a sort of personal meme for a while in the past, I don't know, I found them funny for some reason (and that's the exact first thing I thought when I saw that Halloween picture with witch Adeleine :grin:).
Well, of course I got the reference, I am a huge Ojamajo fan! So putting ojamajo and ashley together in that microgame is like a drug to my brain x_x

Back on Adeleine, this is funny because I submitted the Adeleine game in one of the contests and it was selected as a winner. When a minigame was selected as a winner, Nintendo published it and it was possible to download it for everyone (for a limited time if I remember, I'm not sure).
Since it was published by Nintendo, that's officially the first time Nintendo published some new game content with Adeleine in it since Kirby 64, way before Star Allies (I'm not counting ports or the use of old artworks for cameos, I'm talking of "new" content).
Well, I'm not sure if it counts, it's fan-made content and all, but the fact is, Nintendo published some game content with Adeleine in it, and to be honest, I did it on purpose as soon as I realized that they were constantly picking my games; the whole microgame was like a troll move by me to Nintendo and HAL for neglecting Adeleine XD.
Woah... maybe you trolled HAL into reviving Adeleine 0.o

On that topic, I am very happy with how HAL has been treating Adeleine lately. I expect good things in the short(ish) term future!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's now over 700 Spirits and Adeleine is currently missing. This is weird because even BWD is a Spirit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, whenever I imagine a more traditional style Kirby fighting game, I always picture Arc System Works being the ones to help out. Seems like the right team for the job to me.

I have always held a belief about Star Allies, and that this was the game where HAL went back to explore themselves a bit. It would explain why things are a bit more traditional, but also the numerous references they put in. From little background details, from the numerous anime references, to the lore implications, and lastly, the returning faces. Everything felt like HAL was looking back at themselves as if to get a grip on something.
Partly that, and moreso finally allowing Shinya Kumazaki to indulge himself in bringing back older characters after sprinkling a few throwbacks throughout RTDL, TDX and PR. Heck, I bet he could have even brought back Prince Fluff if he had enough legroom, seeing as he referenced Epic Yarn via TDX's keychains.

Kumazaki is essentially a fanboy who gets to do what most Kirby fans would dream about.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Woah... maybe you trolled HAL into reviving Adeleine 0.o

On that topic, I am very happy with how HAL has been treating Adeleine lately. I expect good things in the short(ish) term future!
I doubt it was just me... I did my part by showing my support over the years, and the Wario Ware microgame plus the drawings on Miiverse under the Kirby developers' posts may have played a role in this, but what is really responsable of the return of Adeleine is:
1- Kumazaki is an hardcore Kirby fan and likes to bring back old stuff from the series, as KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 said
2- The constant requests of the fans from all the world, not just of bringing back Adeleine, but many other characters as well

The result of this is the implementation of the Dream Friends in Kirby Star Allies, that's the best gift we could recive ever: with the Dream Friends announced, the return of Adeleine was just a matter of time.

Anyway, I'm also happy of how they are treating her recently, they are doing an awesome job! My only small complain is that, after seeing how Marx and Magolor's movesets are full of references and very creative, I think that Adeleine's moveset could have been done a bit better... but it's already cool as it is.
Since Magolor has the Gem Apples in his moveset, I think that Adeleine should have had a couple of moves based on the Kirby 64 minigames, and they missed a big opportunity not giving her the crystal rocket move from the cutscenes of Kirby 64, with the controls of the Missile Ability from Amazing Mirror (also, they gave her the flail dash, but where is the super iconic rage animation? :grin:).

There's now over 700 Spirits and Adeleine is currently missing. This is weird because even BWD is a Spirit.
Really?!? It's incredible!
Anyway, Yesterday I searched for this, but I was unable to find informations; even the Wiki and that Google Doc thing are still stuck with the 500+ spirits, I can't find the updated list with 700+.
But I have seen that BWD and Marx are spirits as well, and equippable ones (meaning that they aren't Fighter Spirits), so, this means either that Adeleine is the only possible newcomer candidate, or she's a spirit too.
I don't think Adeleine will be missing as a spirit because there's also Gryll, a very obscure character from a Japan-only spin-off; if Gryll is in but not Adeleine, that would be very odd.
Is Ribbon a spirt? Because, in case they consider Adeleine & Ribbon as one unique character, she could deconfirm the duo as well.

Weird..... or promising for us. You decide.
I like to think that this is promising.
Adeleine in Smash is still a bit unlikely, but with all the competition being soft-deconfirmed, she's the only character remaining with a little chance of being the new Kirby rep (unless the DLCs will ignore the existing spirits, something that the difference between regular Spirits and Fighter spirits seem to deconfirm, but we don't know yet).
Basically, so far it seems that we either get Adeleine or get nobody else, this is the best that her chance has ever been.
The only negative part is that, if we don't get Adeleine, we didn't get any new Kirby (playable) content once again, so I hope she's in more than usual!
But you know what, I'm happy even if she's just a spirit, because all the other major Kirby characters are spirits too, and being on the same level as them wouldn't be too bad for her.

On a side note... since many Kirby characters are getting a "Parallel" version, how do you think the Parallel version of Adeleine would be called, Parallel Adeleine or something like... Ade-parallel-leine? :teeth:

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if I would be okay with an Adeleine spirit... obviously a potential de-confirm would be a shame, but that would honestly be way better treatment than Smash has ever given her. Something tells me that an absence in the base game would be way more volatile than I'm anticipating; it might end badly if Adeleine isn't planned as DLC, because unless they're willing to add a spirit for her later, she will once again have no presence. I'm not sure if I want to take that risk.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, Adeline coming back this year after a nearly 20 year absence is a pretty big deal that shouldn't be underscored. That's huge and, if anything, your next push should be to make her a regular part of the Kirby franchise again because, based on Twitter posts the past couple of years, I don't think the developers would need to be pushed too hard to strongly consider it.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Adeline coming back this year after a nearly 20 year absence is a pretty big deal that shouldn't be underscored. That's huge and, if anything, your next push should be to make her a regular part of the Kirby franchise again because, based on Twitter posts the past couple of years, I don't think the developers would need to be pushed too hard to strongly consider it.
That's definitely true. I think Adeleine may have a better shot at becoming recurring this time. People were clamoring for her during the June drought, her reveal apparently trended her on Twitter, and the developers have put a surprising amount of emphasis on her return through various promotion. A lot of fans have appeared to support her, more than I expected, which makes me think the painter from 64 actually has a lot of exposure, even if not always identified correctly.

Unfortunately, due to the uncertain nature of what Kirby will do next, there's not really a way to gauge the possibility. I have yet to see the other Kirby brands use her in any manner, but I'm hoping that just means the marketing hasn't caught up to the Wave 2 Dream Friends. I don't know if Extra Epic Yarn will follow suit, but I'm guessing HAL didn't make that. Would be nice to see Adeleine as a cameo in Dedede's minigame, but it's not something I'm expecting knowing that Epic Yarn had very little to do with Kirby.

I think even if Adeleine isn't in Smash somehow, the threat of another indefinite absence won't resurface for another two years. For now, I like the position the community is in.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That's definitely true. I think Adeleine may have a better shot at becoming recurring this time. People were clamoring for her during the June drought, her reveal apparently trended her on Twitter, and the developers have put a surprising amount of emphasis on her return through various promotion. A lot of fans have appeared to support her, more than I expected, which makes me think the painter from 64 actually has a lot of exposure, even if not always identified correctly.

Unfortunately, due to the uncertain nature of what Kirby will do next, there's not really a way to gauge the possibility. I have yet to see the other Kirby brands use her in any manner, but I'm hoping that just means the marketing hasn't caught up to the Wave 2 Dream Friends. I don't know if Extra Epic Yarn will follow suit, but I'm guessing HAL didn't make that. Would be nice to see Adeleine as a cameo in Dedede's minigame, but it's not something I'm expecting knowing that Epic Yarn had very little to do with Kirby.

I think even if Adeleine isn't in Smash somehow, the threat of another indefinite absence won't resurface for another two years. For now, I like the position the community is in.
What's Kirby going to do next? They're probably going to do a 30th anniversary major release, hopefully a 3D platformer (open world?) with rare and expensive 20th anniversary amiibo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Correct, Extra Epic Yarn is by Good-Feel, which otherwise has been doing Yoshi's Crafted World.

What's Kirby going to do next? They're probably going to do a 30th anniversary major release, hopefully a 3D platformer (open world?) with rare and expensive 20th anniversary amiibo.
Given the reception of Blowout Blast, that'd be cool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Apparently Adeline was supposed to have a voice in Kirby Star Allies and they even picked out a staff member to do lines but ultimately cut this. That's cool.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/2...-regarding-mage-trio-and-the-ultimate-choice/
Man, that would have been neat. Ah well, maybe next time.

>Ultimate Choice is too easy
>increase Soul Melter as a response
We're entering ghost pepper territory at this point.

Also, didn't expect Dedede to need a buff in a Kirby series context.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Given the reception of Blowout Blast, that'd be cool.
Hopefully if they do release special amiibo they won't be scalped like the Zelda ones are.

One thing that's weird is that Magolor was supposed to be playable from the very beginning in Star Allies, and it would have been nice for him to have another major story appearance. He also got a Switch pfp icon.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hopefully if they do release special amiibo they won't be scalped like the Zelda ones are.

One thing that's weird is that Magolor was supposed to be playable from the very beginning in Star Allies, and it would have been nice for him to have another major story appearance. He also got a Switch pfp icon.
Would have made sense, given his knowledge of the Ancients (plus him having reformed in Dream Collection already).

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Would have made sense, given his knowledge of the Ancients (plus him having reformed in Dream Collection already).
That would have been cool, considering that the extra story mode is about Another Dimension, though...

I think that initially Magolor was planned to be playable from the beginning because the new mode was going to be part of the base game and probably the Dream Friends weren't supposed to be a thing.

In all honesty I prefer BY FAR what they have actually done instead
The Dream Friends have always been my dream (I'm not even sure if this is a pun). I always wanted a Kirby game were I can play as all the characters from the series, and this is exactly my wish granted.
Let's not forget that thanks to the Dream Friends, they brought back Adeleine! (and Gooey, and the animals, etc.)

On a side note, I'm happy that the base Dream Friends are getting updated, especially King Dedede who's finally getting his iconic jump.
I hope that even the other Dream Friends are getting some small updates and fixes in a similar way as how Vividria got the fat Kirby drawing... I think that Adeleine would benefit of some tweaks too.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Adeline was supposed to have a voice in Kirby Star Allies and they even picked out a staff member to do lines but ultimately cut this. That's cool.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/2...-regarding-mage-trio-and-the-ultimate-choice/
Kind of a shame, but I can respect that decision. Adeleine was mute in 64, and then didn't appear at all for 18 years. Giving her a voice in this context would be a bit too sudden, methinks. Besides, that doesn't phase out the possibility to give her a voice later.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kind of a shame, but I can respect that decision. Adeleine was mute in 64, and then didn't appear at all for 18 years. Giving her a voice in this context would be a bit too sudden, methinks. Besides, that doesn't phase out the possibility to give her a voice later.
Hey, not appearing in years hasn't stopped some fighters from making it into Smash.....

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Top Bottom