• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Addicted to Melee

mtism

Smash Rookie
So melee's super addictive and it's draining my academic time. I deleted the post cuz it was dramatic af

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Tough dilemma you have here, and you want to stop playing the game or at the very least in moderation. If the game is getting in the way of your life, then stop playing altogether. Simple as that; except not. From your description, this is the same as being addicted to a drug. Usually, some people have it where they play the game every day for hours at a time, but not this case where you feel physically ill not playing the game.

There are times devoted to my studying but it's like impossible to be at home and not go straight to the CRT.
That is a big issue on its own and must be apprehended. The first thing I can think of is to unplug the setup you have and put it somewhere that would be out of sight like in a closet, under your bed, etc. If it is too difficult and you keep focusing on it, then give someone a part of the setup so it is unplayable. Perhaps the CRT itself, the console, even your controller. This will force you to focus on things you should be doing and give you time to help yourself with your mental problems as stated before. Those kinds of things need professional assistance if you so want help.

Honestly, don't take this in the wrong way, this is a problem a teen would have with video games and procrastination but on a larger scale. Others will definitely have better solutions, but you should have self-discipline towards the urges to play; especially when it gets in the way of studying in college.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If you do have a problem like that I'd highly suggest seeing a therapist. As much as it would be nice smashboards isn't a great place for this kind of stuff. Best of luck to you though!

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
Start by stopping.

This is something that you
absolutely have to do. Don't try to play less, try to stop altogether. We'll get to how you can play this game without obsessing later, but start by quitting.

Get your gamecube out of your living space entirely, leave it with a friend. Put your controller in a drawer and don't look at it. Spend more time outside.

Busy yourself with other things whenever you want to play melee. Start learning an instrument, or exercise. Go out for a run, or play a sport. Go out to eat with friends... you get the idea. Find some purpose in your life that isn't work and isn't melee, and stick to it for better or for worse.

Get therapy if you don't already have it. I am no expert. After getting melee out of your house, get a therapist and talk about what your issues are. At the very least, that will be an outlet for you to talk, and a second person to give you advice (someone trained for that matter). Since you have depression, you probably need this anyways.

At some point, when you (and hopefully your therapist) think you can return to melee, do so slowly. You can play the game, and get good, without being obsessive. Where you are though, it's more important to stop being obsessive. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but that should be your first priority.

Good luck.

mtism

Smash Rookie
Start by stopping.

This is something that you
absolutely have to do. Don't try to play less, try to stop altogether. We'll get to how you can play this game without obsessing later, but start by quitting.

Get your gamecube out of your living space entirely, leave it with a friend. Put your controller in a drawer and don't look at it. Spend more time outside.

Busy yourself with other things whenever you want to play melee. Start learning an instrument, or exercise. Go out for a run, or play a sport. Go out to eat with friends... you get the idea. Find some purpose in your life that isn't work and isn't melee, and stick to it for better or for worse.

Get therapy if you don't already have it. I am no expert. After getting melee out of your house, get a therapist and talk about what your issues are. At the very least, that will be an outlet for you to talk, and a second person to give you advice (someone trained for that matter). Since you have depression, you probably need this anyways.

At some point, when you (and hopefully your therapist) think you can return to melee, do so slowly. You can play the game, and get good, without being obsessive. Where you are though, it's more important to stop being obsessive. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but that should be your first priority.

Good luck.
This was really helpful. I'll often end up in the same state by promising myself only 10 minutes and I think I do need to quit. It's just so hard sometimes. I have an addictive personality as is which is why I can't touch drugs cuz I know I'll get addicted. The hardest part is accepting that other people can do something once and put it down when I'm genetically lacking that power.

K1KK0M4N

Smash Rookie
Bunch of ****y advice if u ask me. We all go through this dilemma. Here's the deal bro: If you TRULY want to get good at this game, then you have to change your plan. Playing several hours a day will increase risk of injury by ALOT! Very common for melee players to develop very serious injuries because of overplay. I was once in a situation where I couldn't even wipe my own azz.
Playing several hours a day can also contribute to you developing in-game habits that are easily exploited.
Your tech skill will also suffer, because you need to rest your hands, for them to develop, just like with any other form of training.
And you need to manage your RL responsibilities, so you can play and eventually become godlike, before you degen completely and become a malnourished melee zombie with crippling debts.
And spend more time studying the game rather than just playing.
Bizzarro Flame became a sponsored professional player with Ganondorf while going through law school. It can be done.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
If its becoming a problem try and limit playtime and then probably seek professional help, only so much we can do for you.

Peach_Treats

Smash Rookie
So I have an obsessive personality :p. I can vouch for what helped me and thats just stop for a few days, try something else. Going on vacation (or just a change of scernary) is really good bc it will get you out of that routine.

However, if I were you Id just WATCH melee and not play it. Take this time to relax and study, and remember being physical and going outside and moving around, WILL help your game plan.

Take a break, study, work out/get an activity. This will bring balance back to your life. It worked for me ;)

D

Deleted member

I have a similar situation as the OP. I, a woman 56 years of age, have become addicted to Melee and especially Smash 4. Here's what I do to combat this addiction: put all of my games away during spring and summer months. I don't so much as say one word about Smash during this period. There is more to life than gaming. Me? I go to church, be in the kitchen to conjure up new recipes, even peruse old-school textbooks (I even have a physics textbook from 1976 but that's just me) to get my mind off Smash. Keeping myself active and educated about the world has worked wonders for me. When autumn starts, I will be back to Smash as if it was my first time playing. :)

Milky2Milk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
Try this:

• Freeze your gamecube by putting it in the freezer
• Do your academic stuff whilst your icy gamecube is melting

Congratulations, you now have a broken gamecube. lol m2k

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I recall reading your original post. I hope that you have figured out how to stop your addiction. That being said, I really hope that you didn't have to give up the game entirely.

Top Bottom