• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Add one fighter to each Smash game

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
the rules are as follows

No characters who were introduced in later Smash games - so no Sonic in Melee or Ridley in Brawl (this includes existing characters with changed movesets such as Land Wario or decloned Ganondorf)
Characters must be either main protagonists/mascots or part of a series already introduced to Smash at the time
3rd party characters are allowed from Brawl onwards.
And the most important rule: characters must exist at the time of that Smash game's release (so for example, Chibi-Robo would be fair game for Brawl and onwards, but not for 64 or Melee)

anyway, my choices are:

64: Muddy Mole
Melee: Excitebiker
Brawl: Jill (Drill Dozer)
3DS/Wii U: Dr. Eggman
Ultimate: Waluigi

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Would the first four additions automatically be added for Ultimate?

Anyways:
64: Lip
Melee: Banjo Kazooie (They were technically 2nd Party at the time)
Brawl: Dixie Kong
Wii U: Rhythm Heaven Rep or Impa
Ultimate: Chun-Li

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
the rules are as follows:

No characters who were introduced in later Smash games - so no Sonic in Melee or Ridley in Brawl (this includes existing characters with changed movesets such as Land Wario or decloned Ganondorf)
Characters must be either main protagonists/mascots or part of a series already introduced to Smash at the time
3rd party characters are allowed from Brawl onwards.
And the most important rule: characters must exist at the time of that Smash game's release (so for example, Chibi-Robo would be fair game for Brawl and onwards, but not for 64 or Melee)

anyway, my choices are:

64: Muddy Mole
Melee: Excitebiker
Brawl: Jill (Drill Dozer)
3DS/Wii U: Dr. Eggman
64: Peeny Squeezie
Melee: Kyle Hyde
Brawl: this game should not exist.
4: Reggie fils-aimes
5: Neo from the Matrix

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Im never amazed at how glad I am that Sakurai chooses this roster. Thank goodness.

64: Meowth
Melee: Isaac
Brawl: Balloon Fighter
3DS: Captain Toad
Wii U: Rayman
Ultimate: Scorpion

D

Deleted member

64: Geno
Melee: Geno
Brawl: Geno
3DS/Wii U: Geno
Ultimate: Geno

The rules never said I couldn't say the same character more then once, and I really wanted to join in on this but my only 2 brain cells crashed when I opened the link. Eh this would be the perfect timeline anyways

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
64: King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Melee: Samurai Goroh [F-Zero]
Brawl: Erdrick [Dragon Quest]
4: Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
Ultimate: Kunio [River City Ransom]

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I'll take the challenge

64: (since I cant use Bowser, Mewtwo, King Dedede or Marth) Muddy Mole
Melee: Lugia
Game 4: Shadow
Ultimate: Midna

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
64: Banjo & Kazooie (2nd Party, released the previous year, & years before buyout)
Melee: Tom Nook
Brawl: Ryu Hayabusa
3DS/Wii U: Crash Bandicoot
Ultimate: Spring Man

D

Deleted member

64: Banjo
Melee: Mach Rider
Brawl: Jill Valentine
Smash 4: The StarTropics protagonist
Ultimate: Crash Bandicoot

Last edited by a moderator:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

The rules never said I couldn't say the same character more then once, and I really wanted to join in on this but my only 2 brain cells crashed when I opened the link. Eh this would be the perfect timeline anyways
Geno would be a 3rd party character though so he would be off limits for 64 and Melee (especially since this was the era in which Square had recently abandoned the N64 to attempt to be PlayStation exclusive and didn’t reconcile with Nintendo until after those games).

Also adding a character in Brawl and Wii U (or any of the games) would probably already guarantee it a spot in Ultimate.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Fun topic ! Here's mine :

64 : Lip
Melee : Banjo & Kazooie
Brawl : Leon Kennedy (The greedy Brawl art style would have been perfect.)
Sm4sh : Lloyd Irving
Ultimate : All of the above by now :p

Arthur97

Smash Master
Geno would be a 3rd party character though so he would be off limits for 64 and Melee (especially since this was the era in which Square had recently abandoned the N64 to attempt to be PlayStation exclusive and didn’t reconcile with Nintendo until after those games).

Also adding a character in Brawl and Wii U (or any of the games) would probably already guarantee it a spot in Ultimate.
Geno is kind of weird though since he is a Mario character.

Though, calling Banjo a second party seems like a stretch if they didn't own Rare.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Geno is kind of weird though since he is a Mario character.

Though, calling Banjo a second party seems like a stretch if they didn't own Rare.
Geno is a Mario character but he is owned by Square. Nintendo couldn't even make a cameo for him in SuperStar Saga without explicitly crediting Square in the end credits (and he was removed in the remake). It's why they didn't add a costume for him in Smash 4 or a spirit in Ultimate until they revealed Cloud.

At the time Rare was a 2nd party developer for Nintendo just like Game Freak and HAL (Kirby, Earthbound, and Pokemon are all 2nd party characters now), which is why they mostly developed for Nintendo from the NES-early Gamecube. They also had a role in developing some of Nintendo’s own IPs like Donkey Kong and Star Fox. That's why we had GoldenEye and Perfect Dark content in Melee that was removed in later games.
It wouldn't be until Microsoft purchased them that they would be considered 3rd party.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Geno is a Mario character but he is owned by Square. Nintendo couldn't even make a cameo for him in SuperStar Saga without explicitly crediting Square in the end credits (and he was removed in the remake). It's why they didn't add a costume for him in Smash 4 or a spirit in Ultimate until they revealed Cloud.

At the time Rare was a 2nd party developer for Nintendo just like Game Freak and HAL (Kirby, Earthbound, and Pokemon are all 2nd party characters now), which is why they mostly developed for Nintendo from the NES-early Gamecube. They also had a role in developing some of Nintendo’s own IPs like Donkey Kong and Star Fox. That's why we had GoldenEye and Perfect Dark content in Melee that was removed in later games.
It wouldn't be until Microsoft purchased them that they would be considered 3rd party.
But at the same time, I don't think Square can use Geno without Nintendo so he's stuck in limbo.

Nintendo at least seems to have some stake in all those characters though as Kirby is almost certainly never not going to be Nintendo exclusive (unless they go third party themselves) and Pokemon probably has one of if not the most convoluted legal situations for any video game franchise ever as the rights seem split between no less than three companies, but one of those is Nintendo. If it's just down to developers choosing to keep that franchise exlusive, wouldn't Bayonetta be second party at this point given how Platinum seems pretty dedicated to keeping her on Nintendo now? I wouldn't classify her as such, but then again, second parties seem kind of vague. Generally I took second parties as they had another company name, but were still owned by Nintendo. Which would make Joker and Bayonetta second parties of Sega.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
But at the same time, I don't think Square can use Geno without Nintendo so he's stuck in limbo.

Nintendo at least seems to have some stake in all those characters though as Kirby is almost certainly never not going to be Nintendo exclusive (unless they go third party themselves) and Pokemon probably has one of if not the most convoluted legal situations for any video game franchise ever as the rights seem split between no less than three companies, but one of those is Nintendo. If it's just down to developers choosing to keep that franchise exlusive, wouldn't Bayonetta be second party at this point given how Platinum seems pretty dedicated to keeping her on Nintendo now? I wouldn't classify her as such, but then again, second parties seem kind of vague. Generally I took second parties as they had another company name, but were still owned by Nintendo. Which would make Joker and Bayonetta second parties of Sega.
Just because Square can't use Geno without Nintendo doesn't mean Nintendo can use Geno without Square. He's still 3rd party regardless.
2nd Parties like Game Freak can still develop games for other systems even though the vast majority of their output is on Nintendo, just like Rare did for a couple games before being bought by Microsoft. Both companies still developed primarily for Nintendo (in Rare's case during the NES-Early Gamecube Era), and as for Kirby's case, the character itself is still owned by Nintendo, the 2nd party developer just develops the games for the IP, so you'll never see Kirby on other consoles. That's why Nintendo kept ownership of DK and Star Fox despite Rare being bought by Microsoft, because they owned those characters beforehand.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Just because Square can't use Geno without Nintendo doesn't mean Nintendo can use Geno without Square. He's still 3rd party regardless.
2nd Parties like Game Freak can still develop games for other systems even though the vast majority of their output is on Nintendo, just like Rare did for a couple games before being bought by Microsoft. Both companies still developed primarily for Nintendo (in Rare's case during the NES-Early Gamecube Era), and as for Kirby's case, the character itself is still owned by Nintendo, the 2nd party developer just develops the games for the IP, so you'll never see Kirby on other consoles. That's why Nintendo kept ownership of DK and Star Fox despite Rare being bought by Microsoft, because they owned those characters beforehand.
No, but like I said, Geno's in a weird spot. If Square were reasonable, then it should be fairly easy to use him given Nintendo's the only ones that can, but they aren't reasonable.

Then, Kirby is not actually a second party if Nintendo still owns him directly. The real question is who really owns the likes of FE characters. Others may develop them, but Nintendo usually keeps a copyright.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
No, but like I said, Geno's in a weird spot. If Square were reasonable, then it should be fairly easy to use him given Nintendo's the only ones that can, but they aren't reasonable.

Then, Kirby is not actually a second party if Nintendo still owns him directly. The real question is who really owns the likes of FE characters. Others may develop them, but Nintendo usually keeps a copyright.
Fire Emblem is developed by Intelligent Systems (same company that makes Wars and Paper Mario), so that's makes it hard 1st party.
Kirby's not 2nd party himself but the company that makes the vast majority of his games is a 2nd Party developer. I guess IPs can't really be 2nd party, just companies.
The original point was that Geno was ineligible for the first two games according to OP's rules because he was 3rd party. Square is a 3rd party developer, so that makes Geno 3rd party. Doesn't matter how much sense it would make or if he's in a weird spot or how easy it would be if Square were reasonable (which the treatment of FF in Smash Bros should tell you how reasonable they are).

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Fire Emblem is developed by Intelligent Systems (same company that makes Wars and Paper Mario), so that's makes it hard 1st party.
Kirby's not 2nd party himself but the company that makes the vast majority of his games is a 2nd Party developer. I guess IPs can't really be 2nd party, just companies.
The original point was that Geno was ineligible for the first two games according to OP's rules because he was 3rd party. Square is a 3rd party developer, so that makes Geno 3rd party. Doesn't matter how much sense it would make or if he's in a weird spot or how easy it would be if Square were reasonable (which the treatment of FF in Smash Bros should tell you how reasonable they are).
Yes, he would be, but if there was ever an exception, it'd be Geno. You know, if it wasn't Square.

How is Fire Emblem any different from other second parties? Still, there is the issue of the title screen copyrights. Though, that could also be covering bases as well as acknowledging original creators. I find this fascinating to see just who owns who. It also gives a sense of the web that is Nintendo.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
64: Banjo & Kazooie
Melee: Bubbles (Clu Clu Land)
Brawl: King Boo
Wii U/3DS: Klonoa
Ultimate: Shantae

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Alright here’s my list

N64: Meowth
He was a major character in the Pokémon anime, so having him and Team Rocket would feel natural and add an antagonist to Smash.

Melee: Impa
She was a big part of Ocarina of Time and I’d honestly and could easily be a semi-clone of Shiek.

Brawl: Chibi-Robo
Have to agree with OP, Chibi would have been cool as the second modern Nintendo IP to join. It’s strange, but it’d be cool to see Chibi treated right for once.

3DS: Dixie Kong
She is the third main protagonist of the DK franchise and could have a very unique moveset. I also believe that her recent revival within Tropical Freeze at the time would really boost her within the roster.

Wii U: Endless Ocean Diver
Endless Ocean was a very unique Wii franchise that is unlike any Nintendo series. As a new franchise rep, I believe EO should take the position as stages and moveset will be highly original and unique.

Ultimate: Bandana Waddle Dee
I think BD has earned his place as the 4th main character of Kirby at this point, so I’d have loved to see BD join his friends within Smash Bros.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

So we just get more Geno variants each game? That gives me an idea...

64: Toad
Melee: Toadette
Brawl: Toadsworth
Sm4sh: Captain Toad
Ultimate: Waluigi...

...only joking it's Paper Toad, I tricked you all.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Going with a mix of what I think would be logical and would love.
N64: Meowth
I think this one should have always and should still be in, huge Pokemon icon who's remained consistently recurring albeit fades in and out in more recent years.

Melee: Banjo Kazooie
With some of the Rare content such as the Goldeneye item, I think adding Banjo Kazooie would have been very logical if an agreement could have been made, although I am unsure just how much due to it being close to the Microsoft deal at the time, I assume this was just before it.

Brawl: Toad
I always found it a bit odd Brawl never added a non sub series Mario representative newcomer, Toad would seem really logical due to his constantly recurring appearances within the Mario series.

Wii U/3DS : Dixie Kong
With her return in Tropical Freeze I thought it was really likely she'd be in before King K. Rool at some point, I still think she'd have made a lot of sense to add into this title.

Ultimate: Bandana Dee
Very popular Kirby character (I've wanted him since 2013, or a Kirby newcomer in general) who i think would have made a lot of sense to add here, especially due to the ever growing popularity of the Kirby franchise.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
N64: Probably Mewtwo. :ultmewtwo: He was intended already, and out of all the possibilities for N64 newcomers, he would fit the N64 cast the best probably because he doesn't have a gimmick or a set of abilities from games that would've needed a later Smash adaptation to cover. He'd probably be busted as well, as his grabs would probably be the strongest here, and he wouldn't have been balanced so... weirdly as in Melee.

Melee: Diddy Kong. :ultdiddy:The most missing character from this roster I feel. He would've have the same moveset as in Brawl, except for the Banana. Which would also make him way less reliant on the Banana, and just be a regular speedster rushdown character probably.

Brawl: King K.Rool. :ultkrool: He was still relevant in these days. And his moveset would probably be exactly the same. Safe for the belly armor probably. Which might be a plus.

Smash 4: Dixie Kong. All the right reasons to be here. And she would probably be unique as Smash 4 didn't add semi-clones untill Roy became DLC.

Ultimate: Isaac. Because of ballot results probably, and because I really miss Golden Sun.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
N64: Probably Mewtwo. :ultmewtwo: He was intended already, and out of all the possibilities for N64 newcomers, he would fit the N64 cast the best probably because he doesn't have a gimmick or a set of abilities from games that would've needed a later Smash adaptation to cover. He'd probably be busted as well, as his grabs would probably be the strongest here, and he wouldn't have been balanced so... weirdly as in Melee.

Melee: Diddy Kong. :ultdiddy:The most missing character from this roster I feel. He would've have the same moveset as in Brawl, except for the Banana. Which would also make him way less reliant on the Banana, and just be a regular speedster rushdown character probably.

Brawl: King K.Rool. :ultkrool: He was still relevant in these days. And his moveset would probably be exactly the same. Safe for the belly armor probably. Which might be a plus.

Smash 4: Dixie Kong. All the right reasons to be here. And she would probably be unique as Smash 4 didn't add semi-clones untill Roy became DLC.

Ultimate: Isaac. Because of ballot results probably, and because I really miss Golden Sun.
OP’s rules were no characters that were introduced in later games.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sure why not

N64: Marx
King Dedede didn't make it to the roster, buuut I believe Sakurai could add Marx if he makes him a semi-clone of Kirby, with different special moves. That's how I picture Marx's inclusion in that game.

Melee: Pig Ganon
Doesn't need any explanation, yes this is the different form of Ganondorf, but this is the OG Ganon. He looks and would play differently than Ganondorf.

Brawl: Waluigi
Waluigi shouldn't be in until Wario comes first, which is why I haven't put him until Brawl where Wario debuted.

3DS/Wii U: Ashley
The Wario franchise hasn't fully sunk into a hole by then, so adding her would make sense considering the success of the previous games besides Game and Wario.

Ultimate: Master Chief
It just feels like in terms of third party characters Master Chief makes sense as the next addition to the roster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
OP’s rules were no characters that were introduced in later games.
Well I didn't know. I didn't read. My mistake.

N64: Banjo-Kazooie
Melee: Isaac (Golden Sun)
Brawl: Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Smash 4: Dixie Kong
Ultimate: Impa, based of Hyrule Warriors

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
64: Ribbon
Melee: Tyranitar
Brawl: Rundas
Smash 4: Chell (Portal 2)
Ultimate: 2B (Nier: Automata) and/or The Doki Doki Literature Club

Most of my wish list for smash atm is of characters who wouldn't have made sense until Ultimate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• 64: Adeleine
  • Melee: Lip
  • Brawl: Isaac
  • Smash 4: Bandana Dee
  • Ultimate: Dark Matter Swordsman

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
This seems fun, I like the restrictions.
  • 64: Lark from Pilotwings 64.
    • Nintendo seems to have a soft spot for the Pilotwings series, considering the original SNES game recieved sequels on the Nintendo 64 and 3DS. All 3 Pilotwings games are launch titles, too, meaning some kids who got a Nintendo 64 and had some money left over from Super Mario 64 and checked out the other launch game. I chose Lark because you control a very general unnamed protagonist in the first game and Pilotwings Resort uses your Mii; Pilotwings 64 is the only one with a cast of distinct characters.
  • Melee: Banjo from Banjo-Kazooie.
    • Rare has been established as a dominant force on the N64 by this point, and Banjo-Kazooie and its sequel were huge at the time. It's easy to forget how big they were, but, if we pretend that the Microsoft deal never happened, it's easy to see the bear and bird playable alongside the other N64 juggernauts Mario, DK, and Link.
  • Brawl: Lyn from Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade (or is it Blazing Sword? I forget which synonym they currently use)
    • I still have an attachment to the first Lord the West got to play as in an officially localized Fire Emblem game. Ike is cool, but Lyn is who I know (Lyn does not replace Ike).
  • Smash 4: a Rhythm Heaven character
    • An up-and-coming series at the time, I was surprised it was skipped for playable representation. I can understand if the Smash team have a hard time envisioning a moveset, but it still would have been cool for the time.
  • Ultimate: Dixie Kong from the Donkey Kong Country games
    • King K. Rool was an awesome inclusion, but now that he's in, it feels even more wrong that Dixie Kong wasn't able to make it in. Like Isabelle, she can be a semi clone of Diddy Kong, emphasizing her hair and her ability to hover back down to the ground safely.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Alright, let's do this properly.

Smash 64: Meowth
Antagonist to Pikachu in the anime, makes more sense than Jigglypuff outside the context of reusing assets and could have even done the line for the star KO.

Melee: Toad
Would seem a little weird for him to be added without Peach and Bowser being added first, but with them added alongside Toad? Perfect sense. I could see Toad theoretically being added prior to Wario still, and he makes more sense than Dr. Mario outside the context of reusing assets(again).

Being added before Diddy would make no sense, but being added at the same time? I'm down for it. Wasn't she originally planned for it?

Sm4sh: Bandana Waddle Dee
He was on the rise, and being added anytime after Dedede and Meta Knight makes sense to me.

Was half tempted to put Impa or Tingle here since Zelda needs the characters most, but Waluigi with the above additions really would mean every big name Nintendo character was now in the game.

I genuinely don't think I'd have any qualms with the roster if the above were in it too...might be nice to have Chibi-Robo, Springman and Isaac but these stars would be enough for me.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
64: as far as I can tell, Master hand is fair game--Why not play as the big bad? And where else to throw him in than the first game?
Melee: Raichu, shoulda got the evolution not the devolution (Pichu's alright tho)
Brawl: Shadow, best to introduce would've been along side Sonic
Wii U: Mr. Sandman from Punch Out!! Again got a soft spot for the--play as the big bad gimmick
Ultimate: Sora cause KHIII and it's my current smash dream

Top Bottom