• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ACT Presents - Business time Sunday May 9th (business attire encouraged)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero

You know when I'm down to my socks what time it is, its business time, its time for business

When?
Sunday the 9th of May, 11am till 8 pm

Where:
National Hockey Centre, 196 Mouat St Lyneham
the room is called the carter brown room

What do I need to bring:
Tv's and Wii's are always appreciated and help things run smoother, aside from that, you need to bring a controller and $15
Also, you are encouraged to Wear Business attire (a suit or something of similar fasion)

Important addition!
if you have equipment it would be nice if you could be there 15 mins early
also we will start at 11:30 so that gives you 30mins to register and then warm up with
some friendlys, if you think your gonna be really late ring me and we'll sort something else.

monetary Prize's:
you bet! unlike other TO's who suggest they have the best prize pots in the country, I actually do (at least for player to prize size ratio)

Other info:
Dickson shops is nearby and there will be a lunch break sometime during the day.
there are also some vending machines and a cafe downstairs from the room we're in.

Whats on?

First up there will be Brawl Doubles,
followed by Brawl singles
and if there is time at the end there will be a single large crew battle, what up!

also if there is time at the end of the day there will be melee friendlys, but anyone
wanting to change a TV to melee must first gain approval from me or I'll luigi Fsmash you (I'll probably break my own fingers, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it)

Rules:

ok so how does it work? I'm using modified SBR rules, so here goes...

First up we'll be doing pools, basically players are split into a number of different pools which are seeded, and you play 2 matchs against everyone in your pool.
The top 2 or 3 (depending on attendance and whatnot) go through to a double elimination bracket, procedure for that is simple, you lose a set are you are knocked into the losers side of the bracket, you lose again and you are knocked out of the tournament, rules are as below.

General rules:

• 3 Stock
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none"
  • All sets in the double elim bracket with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 for any "finals" matches)
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors (best of 1)
  • Daves supid rule 'No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.'
  • In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • If a game ends with any of the following moves (bowsers suicide claw, Ganons Suicide flame choke, Kirby/d3's suicide inhale) then the victory is given to the person who intiated said move. (note with suicide inhale, ins entirely possible for the player to break out of it mere miliseconds before death, in which case they are shown as being the winner on the results screen and the victory is given to them instead of kirby/d3)
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stage striking: you each take turns in 'striking' and stage from the starter list until 1 remains, you then play on that level. The player that strikes first also gets his or her choice of controller port, if there is a disupte in who will go first, paper-scissors-rock will be played (best of 1) and the winner gets to chose who goes first. note that in pools, the starter list will be different, and you strike until you have 2 stages left, and then you play each of those stages once.
  • Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based or eyesight disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
  • Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, (only relevant in Double elim brackets) that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
  • Stalling is banned.

lukes description of stalling:

any action that that causes a player to be unreachable, such as jigglypuffs rising pound off the top of the screen.
    being wario and constantly running away from and avoiding your opponent is extremely gay/frustrating, but is not stalling since you are still techniaclly reachable and hittable. (this is known as air camping, not stalling)

SBR's description of stalling:

The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.
    So now you known doubly what it is, no excuses.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
4. The winner of the previous match may then choose a stage to ban, the loser of the previous match then announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. the match begins
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Additional Rules for Double's Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Hanenbow may be moved from Ban to Counterpick for Doubles.

Stage lists:

pools Neutrals:
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1
lylat cruise

DE Neutrals:
Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Lylat Cruise
Delfino
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Pokémon Stadium 2
Pictochat

Banned:

Rainbow Cruise
Pirate Ship
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Onett
Mario Circuit
Green Hill Zone
Shadow Moses
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Spear Pillar
Corneria
Hyrule Temple
big blue
New Pork City
Mario Bros.
Wario Ware
Flat Zone 2
75m
Rumble Falls
The Summit
Mushroomy Kingdom I & II
Hanenbow

questions?:
contact me on this site or email me

Attendance:

in your in, let me know please.

Confirmed:

Luke (6 tv's, 1 wii)
Silfa (1 wii)
Cheese (1 wii)
ea (1 wii)
Nandactyl (1/2 tv's, 1 wii)
vk (1 wii?)
Julian (1 tv)
Piesaac (1 tv, 1 wii)
daivd (1 wii, maybe 1 tv)
ted (an ifinite amount of win, also maybe a wii if I pester him enough)
ricky (1 wii)
scabe (?)
Kevin (holy ****)
Condog (1 wii)
Jaeryl Ong
dinith adikari
shari boats
Zier
gords (1 wii)
Jei <3
Khoa
seb
edd

unconfirmed:

js
Luffy
rein
Kane <3
melancholy
nicks
ammy
felix
james
bogo?
jared
kiet
tim
caleb
iris

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you break my heart, its understandable though, since theres no melee (simply due to lack of setups more then anything, I'd love to start having melee at my tourneys)

Silfa

Smash Ace
You can pretty much confirm me and my cancer TV set up. Though I have a feeling that something might come up that weekend, but it's only a very small chance at this stage.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I wanna come so bad. If I have enough money (i can work again now) then I will come for sure!!

EDIT: If i come would I be able to get housing with you, luke?

True Romance

Smash Ace
But it's not on a wednesday...

Having said that I want to attend this, lemme catch up with Felix and get back to you.

Edit - Help me find uber cheap flights from Perth :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
oh dont worry buddy, you can get housing allright, and I'll even drive you around everywhere ;)
maybe have some crazy canberra stories of your own

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
You know I'm down for this ****.

I think I need to get revenge on like every ACT player in existence at this point...

Nanda

Smash Ace
You know I'm in for this baby. Ill be there with a suit. I can help with housing btw. Two people can stay in my humble abode. Any takers?

I will also bring Rose's TV and maybe my own plus one wii.

Zero

Smash Hero
sorry luke, bad timing.

IT'S MOTHER'S DAY!
oh faaaaark. Last year either Shaya or Ted wanted to have a Mothers Day tournament it was pretty much declined by everyone. I don't think I should go to this, but instead visit home for the weekend. bler

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
****ing mothers day ruins everything... well regardless, It'll still be on.

also toby I heard your mum wanted you to take her to canberra for mothers day...

what about liam? will he still come

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Such a shame it's on Mother's day. D:

I swear your tournament threads look exactly the same as your others.

I'll probs be going to this.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
also toby, since you cant come on mothers day (thats what she said), maybe you could come to our house tourney on the 25th this month?

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Funnily enough, mu mum is doing something with her mum this mothers day, so she said I could go. Something about me not ruining something or whatever.

Lollllll

Toby.

Smash Master
I suppose it's different for you scott, but I live 1.5 hours drive from my parents so rather than giving her a break for a day its sort of important that I go visit :p

Luke I'll see what i can do. Probably can't come though :/

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
maybe, but the problem is they'd have to arrive on friday, which is hard for people and for me since I work untill midnight (I might be able to get the day off though)

but then they'd also not be able to leave canberra until sunday morning, which is on mothers day anyway, so I doubt changing it to sat would do much, the only thing I could do would be put it back another week, but its already organized with the venue

Top Bottom