• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ace Attorney General Thread - Spirit of Justice is out! Go play it!

Just completed Apollo Justice.

HOO BOY what a ride.
That final case was completely nuts from start to finish.

I would say. . . this game rocked

I already own AAI so I need to get to that after Zero Mission and Kid Icarus oM&M

I swear these preosecutors are all amazing. Edgeworth, Franziska, Godot, and now Gavin. So easy to love them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just wait til you get to Blackquil.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Never played Apollo Justice...

Dunno why but it was the only AA game I never played...

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
AJ was by far my least favourite in the series. I wrote this about a year ago, and still stand by most of it:
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

+ The writing, while it doesn't stand up to the originals, still has its moments. It's still better writing than I've come to expect from most video games.
+ There are a couple of good characters - the Gavin brothers are the two strongest characters in the game, in my opinion. The witnesses aren't as interesting as in the original games, but there are a handful of standouts.
+ The forensic examination sections are quite fun, and make a nice diversion from the simple "point out the contradiction" gameplay the few times they come up.

~ The interaction between Apollo and Trucy feels like a weaker facsimile of that between Phoenix and Maya. This isn't a bad thing as such, since I like Phoenix and Maya, but more could have been done to make the two pairs of characters more distinct from each other, rather than just magic vs. spirit channelling.
~ The general plot regarding Phoenix's disbarment works - but it completely consumes any chance Apollo might have had of having his own story, distinct from Phoenix's, develop.
~ I like the idea of perception, but I just feel like it should be more strict about penalising trying to perceive the wrong statement/body part. As it is, you can perceive whatever you want, whenever you want, with no risk. It's fairer than penalising getting a Psyche-Lock question wrong, but still imbalanced.

- Phoenix. His personality just feels wrong. "But he's been disbarred for 7 years" - no. You don't just become aloof and head-in-the-clouds like that for no reason, and it isn't adequately explained why he is the way he is.
- The soundtrack is the weakest overall in the series. It has a few standout tracks, like Apollo and Klavier's themes, but otherwise it's quite poor. I can't even begin to describe how much I dislike the cross-examination themes.
- The real culprits in the second and third cases are immediately predictable as soon as they're introduced, to the point that you're basically figuring out how to confirm your suspicions, instead of finding who did it. Even the first case - the real killer may seem like a big plot twist at first, but when you think about it, it's pretty obvious.
- The defendant of the second case is unlikeable; at no point did I actually feel like I wanted to save him, which in a game about saving people from false accusations is a pretty glaring weakness.
- Phoenix doesn't feel like Phoenix, in the one part of the game in which he's supposed to be "classic" Phoenix (the "7 Years Ago" trial). He's always had his moments of cockiness here and there, but he comes across as downright arrogant here: "there's no substitute for experience" or however he puts it. I can picture Winston Payne saying that, but not Phoenix.
- Maya's total absence in the past sections, which is a plot hole - she doesn't even get mentioned, despite the ending of AA3 stating that she wasn't going anywhere, and I doubt she was going to miss a trial as significant as Zak Gramarye's, or abandon Phoenix in his hour of need.
- No Edgeworth

The main problem, in my opinion, is that the game in general just feels like "Shu Takumi's Contractual Obligation Game", whereas with the original trilogy, it really felt like he was doing them because he wanted to, and not just because of the money/his higher-ups told him to; in particular, the simple fact that Phoenix appears in the game at all. I honestly think the game would have been all the better without him, since it would have given the space needed for Apollo to have his own story, and to have some character development of his own.

6.9/10 because, as much as I struggled to think up positive points, the game still had something that kept me from outright disliking it - I can't quite put my finger on it, but the overall experience feels more positive than negative - just. I mean, something is clearly wrong when your personal highlights of the entire game are two pieces of background furniture in the second case (which is otherwise my least favourite case in the entire series), but I still can't say I actually dislike the game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
AJ was by far my least favourite in the series. I wrote this about a year ago, and still stand by most of it:
Honestly, I feel like some of these complaints (which I agree with, aside from music) got fixed with Dual Destinies.

Apollo gets more backstory and focus (separate from Trucy) and Phoenix getting more elements of his original personality back while feeling like he has actually matured. As for Phoenix's personality, I'd say that its just how others (aka Apollo) see him like what happened in Dual Destinies but as you mentioned, the past case was odd, though closer.

Snarky Hobo Phoenix does give us some amazingly funny lines though.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I also skipped out on Apollo Justice, mainly because Phoenix Wright wasn't the main character anymore and also the fact that he became a hobo and lost is attorney position. Although all this talk about Apollo Justice is making me want to try out the game. I haven't finished Dual Destinies yet but I really like Apollo and Trucy's presence in it. They're really fun characters and playing as Apollo is actually pretty fun. I feel bad but I have stalled playing Dual Destinies for ages now so I'm gonna try and finish it before the anime airs as a goal. Case 2 just dragged out too long for me in my opinion but my friends have told me to the final 2 cases are amazing. I'm up Case 3 now with Athena as the MC so making my way~

Maya is most likely going to return in AA6 and I know I'm gonna do like a stupid noise of excitement once she appears. It's been so long since Maya has seen Phoenix so it'd be a really special reunion. That's also why I really liked the Layton crossover game, it was with OG Wright & Maya up to their usual shenanigans but with the puzzle solving duo no less.

As for the anime, if it is only going to adapt the first 2 games I hope at the very least we get a teaser/cameo of Godot drinking coffee somewhere which could potentially lead up to a future sequel anime. That would be the perfect way to end it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I enjoyed Apollo Justice. The only flaw in it (to me) was Phoenix's wildly different personality and the odd interface in the last case. I liked Apollo, Trucy, Gavin and the new cast.

I need to play Dual Destinies and the AAI games sometime.

:231:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31764

At 1pm JST on the 6th of March (11pm on the 5th EST, 4am on the 6th GMT, 3pm here in eastern Australia), a special announcement on Ace Attorney 6 will be broadcast here. It will reveal the game's Japanese release date, and will also announce "that" character.

"that" character is the exact wording they use in the announcement. I'm guessing it's the person Apollo referred to in one of the earlier trailers - as for who "that" person is, though? No idea. Anyone want to take a guess?

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I thought Apollo was referring to Nayuta in that trailer since he was the one facing him in court.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I cannot like that post enough.

D

Deleted member

Well they revealed that charcter

and no one was surprised

I'm not surprised, but I am more than happy to see that she will be returning.
I hope they explain why she was MIA in Apollo Justice.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What I like most is that she looks like she's grown up.

She has mature womanly features (face and figure) without being a sex bomb.

She looks great.

What does the text say?

2 more characters were announced
Edgeworth
Klavier Gavin

WHY YES. I AM EXCITED

BEST PROSECUTOR RETURNS

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Music confirmed amazing.

So many secrets!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Maya's profile on the official site:
MAYA FEY
The Spirit Medium Returns

The daughter of the master of the Kurain school of channeling, who has the power to channel the spirits of the dead.

She once worked as Phoenix's assistant, spending those cheerful days solving crimes (and getting wrapped up in them).

In order to inherit the title of "master", she's continuing her training in the country her village has its roots in - the Kingdom of Kurain. There, she's reunited with Phoenix once more.
Still "continuing her training"?

We also have a playable demo: http://game.capcom.com/gyakutensaiban/6/trial_play/
Loading it up right now, doubt I'll get far because of the language barrier, but anyway

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is gonna be step for Apollo and Athena.

They're gonna have to protect the office while Phoenix is gone.

Great chance for character development.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Summary of the demo, from here:
The demo jumps right into the 1st case after a quick introduction of Bokuto. It seems he was arrested on charges of theft of a priceless treasure kept in the kingdom's central temple. It's so sacred that not even reporters were allowed inside, so all the pictures they have of the treasure box/case/thingamajig is in black and white.

Bokuto claims he never once stepped foot in that room, as per temple regulations, but Phoenix reveals that he's lying. He couldn't have known the color of the box based on the monochrome photos in the news article. The prosecution then calls in the medium princess herself.

In her testimony based on the last visions of the victim, she concludes that the defendant raised something to strike the victim, noting details like how the incident takes place after the ceremonial dance or that the victim would have died when he was struck.

Both of those details need to be overturned to continue. (Of note, after challenging Leifa on the time of the crime, she changes her testimony to include that the song playing then was in rehearsal.) In actuality, the victim was still alive after he was blinded for some reason, and then he was struck, so he couldn't have seen his killer. Aaand the demo ends there.

Spirit Vision is very briefly explained. It's basically like pointing out contradictions using a moving video. The video can be paused at any point and the hitodama/flames at the bottom mark particular segments of the video for easier navigation.

Even if you can't understand what's going on, you can still at least listen to the music, which is really good.

D

Deleted member

I dont remember her turning into Mia once in the whole game. . .
Uhh... "missing in action"? Why wasn't Maya in Apollo Justice during Phoenix's case where he got disbarred?

2 more characters were announced
Edgeworth
Klavier Gavin

WHY YES. I AM EXCITED

BEST PROSECUTOR RETURNS
Really?! I'll need to see pics of them, but if this is true, I am glad Edgeworth is gonna be back!

Music confirmed amazing.

So many secrets!
Damn, this is amazing.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
It should be interesting to note that Nayuta didn't make an appearance in the trailer (probably not to overshadow the big bomb).

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I hate to admit but when I found that Maya Fey is officially returning in AA6 I couldn't help but fanboy like a little girl. Maya looks really pretty and mature-looking now, I love her design and outfit. It's gonna be so nostalgic seeing her in the courtroom with Wright again, ahhhhh. I just love how her animations are still pretty much the same like the in the previous games; a really nice throwback.

There's also some additional Maya footage that was shown during the stream

Also, here's adult Maya eating hamburgers:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
We have boxart:

Would have expected Leifa instead of Maya on the box, but I'm not complaining :p
Should also have Famitsu scans in the next few days.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Famitsu scans, as promised, from http://www.japanesenintendo.com/ :

The official site has updated with info on episode one; it will be called "Turnabout Foreigner", Bokuto is accused of killing a security guard to steal a jewel, and Phoenix is charged with being a defence lawyer.

Elsewhere, a trailer for the anime:

The anime's opening theme will be "Turnabout Winner", by Johnny's WEST. No sign of what it sounds like yet, though.

D

Deleted member

Famitsu scans, as promised, from http://www.japanesenintendo.com/ :

The official site has updated with info on episode one; it will be called "Turnabout Foreigner", Bokuto is accused of killing a security guard to steal a jewel, and Phoenix is charged with being a defence lawyer.

Elsewhere, a trailer for the anime:

The anime's opening theme will be "Turnabout Winner", by Johnny's WEST. No sign of what it sounds like yet, though.
It seems like Pearl is going to return... I think we should update the thread's title. :p

I just wonder how Edgeworth and Klavier will be incorporated into the game's story. Is Edgeworth going to be the main prosecutor for one of Phoenix's cases?

The anime looks impressive so far. If I can, I would watch the first episode in a heartbeat.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
For the moment, Pearl, Edgeworth, and Klavier are only confirmed for the DLC/preorder bonus cases. No sign yet if they'll appear in the actual story.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
For the moment, Pearl, Edgeworth, and Klavier are only confirmed for the DLC/preorder bonus cases. No sign yet if they'll appear in the actual story.
There's DLC? If it's anything Ike the orca case, I'm sold.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh my. Pearl is confirmed too? That's great. :)

A shaisen musician with a totally-not-Swastika robe and a gun toting witness? I like it. :p The setting seems very... Tibetan to me.

I'm curious about the Furio Tigre outfit and the Très Bien uniform at the bottom though.

:231:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
???: It has been a long time… How have you been?

Phoenix: W-who might you be?

*gasp*

M-Maya!?

Bokuto: Ms. Maya, Appilakke!

Maya: Appilakke…

I see you have been graced with the great founder’s guidance…

Phoenix: … Uh, thank you.

Maya: …Psyche! Wow, it’s been forever, Nick!

Hey, whaddya think? Were you surprised at my mannerism just now?

Phoenix: …Yeah, just a bit.

(Her name is Maya Fey.)

(She’s a spirit medium from a village of mediums in Japan, Kurain Village.)

(It’s been so long since then…)

(But she used to assist me through a lot.)

(I was saved so many times thanks to her spiritual power…)

Maya: Talk about nostalgic!

And I was even the co-manager of the Wright & Co. Law Offices!

Phoenix: (And now, it seems she’s been training to become the next Master of Kurain Village.)

(Becoming the Master means becoming the head of the Kurain School of Channeling…)

(And she had to come here to the Kingdom of Kurain to complete her training.)

Maya: But, you gotta admit I really acted like a wise high priestess for a moment there!

Ah, I couldn’t help but show the results of my training already!

Phoenix: Haha. Looks like you’re the same as ever, Maya.

Maya: Huh? What do you mean by that?

Phoenix: (She may look all grown up, but she hasn’t changed on the inside.)

(I’m kinda relieved…)

Maya: Nick, I heard!

Just after you came here, you went straight to court, huh?

Phoenix: W-well, yeah, that’s how it turned out.

Bokuto: I was actually the defendant in that trial!

It was amazing! I have so much respect for him!

Phoenix: Hahahaha.

Maya: Hmm.

But I bet he barely flew through the trial by the seat of his pants, huh?

Bokuto: W-well… I did think I was going to be made guilty several times…

Phoenix: (At your young age, you’re already thinking of that…?)

Maya: As I thought, you may have grown, but you’re still the same as ever, Nick.

Phoenix: (Wow, she turned that right back on me.)

By the way, has your training to become the Master reached the next level yet?

Maya: You mean the “Spiritual-Power-Up Meditation Special Course”?

Yep! I’ve been training hard for these past two years!

Since I’ve finished the Cleansing Waters Ritual, I can head back to Japan!
Source: http://gyakutensaibanvsaceattorney....you-know-what-im-not-waiting-for-a-request-on

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
You guys have no idea how hard i fanboyed when Maya was confirmed. Like i was dying of happiness. If theres one thing that supremely upset me about Apollo Justice, it was the absence of Maya. Seeing her and Nick together again is going to be AMAZING. Im super hyped for AA6 but i think i'm gonna try to avoid spoilers from now on. ill probably post when the anime comes out so i guess ill be back then. Later everyone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom