• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

According To Sakurai, Patch 1.0.4 Will Be The Final Balance Patch

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
After Patch v.1.0.4 removed a few glitches and techniques from Smash 4, the some of the Smash community adopted the mantra "in before patch." Whenever someone found a powerful technique or interesting idea, many expected to see it patched out immediately. However, it appears that creator Masahiro Sakurai has no further plans to balance the game with patches, outside of updates to improve online functionality.

Hoping your character will get buffed like Shulk did? You're out of luck.

In an interview from Famitsu, Sakurai made it clear he felt balancing the game was no longer necessary. Here is a translated portion of said interview, provided by EventHubs.

In the future, do you plan on adjusting or balancing the game further through a patch?

Sakurai: We don't have any such plans, but at the very least we will be working on a few things connected to the online play experience, bit by bit.

If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them.

That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?

Sakurai: When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*

See the untranslated interview scan here.

---

What do you think about this being the final version of Smash 4? Were there other changes you had hoped to see? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is still sifting through writer's applications! If you haven't heard back, don't worry! He's getting to it! Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

yocow

Smash Rookie
i think smash's balance is pretty nice aside from diddy's advantages

hopefully that counts as a glaring issue

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm actually fine with it for now. And he did say that if anything really glaring came up, he would patch that. So it's actually not a problem. He's only gonna make a patch if there is obvious huge outcry on something for an extended period of time. Which is honestly how it should have went in the first place.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Horrible choice, what was the point of 1.0.4 if you're not going to continue balance patching?

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
On one hand. I can believe it.

On the other hand. Sakurai is a liar.

Only time will tell, but at least for the most part, no worry about nerfs unless something is truly bad.

Xharos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xharos
3DS FC
0404-6432-5019
"But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them."

That means Diddy nerf I think.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Good. Killager was getting anxious :4villager:

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Let the anger begin.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Horrible choice, what was the point of 1.0.4 if you're not going to continue balance patching?
The only purpose was to match the 3DS and Wii U versions. The 1.0.4 changes were in Wii U but not in 3DS.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Villager is a bit OP in some areas, but not ridiculous.

Give him a couple nerfs, like decrease how long the tree sprouting hitbox lasts, and maybe down his fair knockback a bit.

That is all from my end.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I want a meta that doesn't constantly change, so aside from Diddy I'm pretty happy.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
So what the hell is up with Wario's bike then?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
It makes sense why this would happen. Sakurai probably just wants a break from all of this. The good news is that if anything is completely OP, it will get patched. But at this point, better learn those matchups.

Soul.

Well, improving online play is good I guess.
If there's something game-breaking, it will eventually get patched.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
:4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:
He's back again and about time too
And this time he's in the mood.
He can fly real high with his jetpack on,
With his pistols out, he's one cool Kong.
He'll make you smile when he play's his tune,
But N00Bs beware 'cause he's after you.
:4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
On M2K's stream they said there was something in the article that specifically mentioned Diddy and Luigi are getting balance changes. EDIT: Apparently there just wont be any more major changes to the game, there can still be tweaks. (basically the article was mistranslated and everyone is overreacting atm XD) Unfortunately, this means we are probably stuck with rage and the lack of DACUS :cry:

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
My money's on a bugfix patch with the release of Mewtwo. Nothing that will change the playstyle of a character ( number tweaks / hitbox nerfs ), but things like DHD's smashes whiffing and various other unnecessary bugs that do nothing but make the game look and feel inconsistent.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
This kinda sucks to hear the game is more balanced(So far) than past games. But without continue support kinda might not play as long. I know it will never be 100% balanced anyway.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
IMO, I do get Sakurai's point and he definitly wants to take a break from the series. It's not really the end of the world though. Sakurai did mention if there's a huge problem (Diddy Kong Dthrow to Uair being too good for instance), he will fix that. However, there's some problems about Sakurai's interview:

1. Why not let Namco Bandai handle the balance changes? After all, they have experience with the game and know most of the balance and mechanics. This will allow Sakurai to relax even more and Namco Bandai will handle the problems.

2. This seems like a wasted opportunity IMO. Don't get me wrong, this still could all change in the future, but this game could be the most balanced in the series, but due to little to no patches in the future, that seems very unlikely to happen for a long time.

P.S. I don't think Diddy is as OP as Metaknight. I like the changes they made to him, but that ridiculous knockback on Uair and low knockback on Dthrow really makes him top tier. You compare his Uair to Captain Falcons Uair; Captain Falcon's Uair doesn't even kill as early as Diddy's Uair, even with rage, and Falcon's Uair combos into itself and deal more damage.

31gma

Smash Cadet
NNID
yrba10
Would've preferred balance patches distributed every 3 or 6 months to allow the meta to develop as well as give Sakurai that well-deserved rest.

Top Bottom