• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About throws and up-b, and the reddit thread on DIing them

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Hey GnW mains, @ jtm94 jtm94 posted this on reddit, following which he, myself, and a few others had a discussion addressing the way up-b and his throws work. I did a bunch of lab work on it, it's not ultra comprehensive since it only includes one character at one percent, but you can use the info to mentally extrapolate some approximations for other characters at other numbers, or use it to improve your own lab work/methods. Here's a copy paste from the reddit thread:

Alright, so here's the details of the lab work I just did:

I set the opposing character to GnW as you did in your example gify. I set his percent to 50 because I forgot what percent you used. Low KBG on the throws and up-b means it shouldn't really matter.

I'll probably refer to the thrown GnW as the defender and the throwing GnW as the attacker.

All GnW's combo throws appear to have only 7 frames endlag on himself (this is absurd btw, I know it's because GnW is light, but even throwing bowser should only have I think 15 frames endlag. That's less than either of sheik's throws on any character).

Keep in mind, I only looked at throw follow-ups into up-b. Use your intuition/already existing knowledge to evaluate how these DIs are affected by GnW's other options out of his throws.

Lastly, good SDI away can actually get you out of the "guaranteed" follow-ups GnW has out of his up-b. This actually applies for a lot of things in the game. Unfortunately, because SDI must occur during hitlag and not after like DI, there is less available reaction time, and GnW's up-b has very little hitlag and comes out very quickly, meaning the window is small and the reaction time is near impossible. It would require either a read or good option selecting. Probably both depending on the situation.

*For uthrow:
No matter the DI, GnW can technically get off an up-b aimed at the opposing GnW and avoid the reverse hit, such that a follow-up is guaranteed regardless of of DI on the up-b hit. If the defender DIs to the left or right, the attacker can simply up-b on reaction to the DI in the direction of the defender. It's actually better to wait for reaction time in this case than to read and up-b as soon as possible (even if the read is correct). So you give your reaction time around 20 frames to properly decide which direction the DI'd, and then up-b that direction. However, if they don't DI the uthrow, the only way to get an up-b follow up towards them with the forward hit is to dash forward for about 20 frames as soon as the throw ends, then up-b in reverse towards them. While this technically guarantees you would get a follow-up yet again off no DI on the uthrow, this requires impossible reaction time since you have to input the dash within a few frames of the IASA of the uthrow in order to reach the proper distance and have time to up-b. If you up-b straight up, and they DI away, you don't get a follow-up. However, you can force even this upwards DI into a 50/50 mix-up. Since they must DI the up-b away to escape the follow-up, which way "away" is depends on which side they are hit on. The attacker can therefore either up-b straight up into the opponent, or dash back very briefly and then up-b straight up, hitting the defender from the opposite side. These require opposite directions of DI from the defender to escape a follow-up, and there is very little reaction time.

Therefore, assuming the GnW has proper knowledge of his mix-up options on no-DI uthrow, uthrow->up-b as a whole, with random DI of left, right, and no DI gives you a 1/6th chance of escape. Since it's all mix-ups, the DI would effectively be random. Since you don't know what throw GnW is doing, this is as good as it gets off his uthrow for the defender, without a read on the throw. No DI for uthrow is gives the best chance of escape, a 50/50.

*For fthrow:
It appears that his throws have angles perfectly designed for each other. DIing fthrow towards the attacker gives the same angle and location as no DI on uthrow. Hence the 50/50 that applies for no DI on uthrow applies for DI in on fthrow. No DI on fthrow gives an easy reaction to up-b towards the defender and get a guaranteed follow-up. DIing fthrow forward requires the attacker to have impossible reaction time and dash forward on his first actionable frame, and then up-b into the defender. Even when this is done, it appears something about the different trajectory makes a follow-up after the up-b (if the defender DI's it away) not guaranteed.

Therefore, the only way to escape an up-b into a follow-up from fthrow is to DI forward, or to guess correctly on the DI-in mix-up. With random DI either left, right, or none at each point, your chance of escape is 1/2

*For bthrow: Bthrow is basically fthrow in reverse, tho the release point is on the side of the attacking GnW that he is throwing you to. Nonetheless, the same DIs mostly apply to bthrow that apply to fthrow, but in reverse.
It's important to note there are a lot more possibilities than I actually tested for, and the increase in possibilities only makes it better for the attacker. For example, off an fthrow, the attacking GnW could dash forward instantly without waiting for their reaction, allowing them to use a fair to follow-up on DI away once they have had adequate reaction time, or if the opponent DIs in they would then be in the appropriate position to up-b towards the opponent and get the forwards hit, and if the defender didn't DI at all the would be almost directly above the attacker, giving either a follow-up with almost any aerial, or the 50/50 up-b mix-up I described earlier.

TL;DR? GnW's throws are absolutely ****ing next level bonkers, up-b is even more bonkers still, and GnW mains need to stop pretending like there's some kind of special secret to avoiding his throw combos when doing it consistently either requires reading a bad GnW that isn't mixing up their throws/spacing up-b well, or a lifetime's worth of luck concentrated into DIing three throws of one character in one mod of one game of one series of video game. You don't get any luck anywhere else ever again. None. And then you might get out of GnW's throw combos about half the time.

Magus420

Smash Master
*For uthrow:
However, if they don't DI the uthrow, the only way to get an up-b follow up towards them with the forward hit is to dash forward for about 20 frames as soon as the throw ends, then up-b in reverse towards them. While this technically guarantees you would get a follow-up yet again off no DI on the uthrow, this requires impossible reaction time since you have to input the dash within a few frames of the IASA of the uthrow in order to reach the proper distance and have time to up-b. If you up-b straight up, and they DI away, you don't get a follow-up.

No DI for uthrow is gives the best chance of escape, a 50/50.
You're dashing further than you need to. The angle isn't all or nothing, and you only need a slight angle or more and no reverse hit to be able to cover either direction unless they SDI+DI the up-b enough.

Dashing forward into the up-b is just about the same as back at that damage.

In this particular case 1 SDI makes f-air not reach on behind (b-air can though) if also able to reach away SDI with f-air from the same up-b.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I wasn't actually sure whether the up-b angle was all or nothing. I was testing a bunch of other stuff too so I got too lazy to actually check. I wouldn't really have been able to eyeball it either since I don't have an intuitive feel for his up-b yet as I don't play GnW. So thanks for that correction, it seems no matter the DI on uthrow you can get an excellent follow-up.

The above example gif is without SDI correct? Why does it seem like the difference in the two DIs is so drastic? Does GnW have notable gravity/terminal velocity?

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
When it comes to escaping combos with pure DI GnW is not notable at all, he just has UpB along with his an easy to combo weight. That's just how far you can DI it, but without SDI he still covers the DI anyways so it's not that far regardless.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
His grab is ****ty and his netrual game is ****ty. Give him something for god sake lol

Also, between this and Melee dthrow there is no difference, he had an assured Nair or Fair from Dthrow in Melee.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
His grab has bad reach, yes, but I don't buy that his neutral game is particularly ****ty
He has excellent options out of CC, also breaks opposing CCs, shuts out aerial approaches amazingly, generally huge disjoint with high power and low endlag, a low profile crouch, good wavedash, low commitment to shielding, and all of these tools lead to heavy heavy punishment. I think this opinion of GnW's neutral being more bad that average arises because most GnWs sans the top few (or maybe even sans the top 1) just have mediocre neutral at best and don't really understand the concept of trying to passively+slowly take up stage space instead of feeling the need to either go in or the need to force whiffs. When you aren't fast, you can still abuse the fact that you are mini-ganon with better defensive options and able to put out way more hitboxes to suffocate opponents.

Also I don't really see how his melee dthrow is relevant, it's just another example of how melee players are perfectly fine with **** design, and especially the things they don't ever have to play against.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Out of cc he has grab and dtilt. Dtilt breaks crouch from 50-60 depending on opponent. He doesn't weigh much and can't effectively cc for that long against some moves. A lot of his moves bar UpB and dtilt are too slow to really stuff anything in a reactionary way. I would immediately trade his UpB early hitboxes for a better option out of shield, shielding is a huge commitment.

His neutral isn't bad though. He can't go full Marth, but he has a pretty good dash and his wavedash accents it well. He can use wavedash > dtilt to weave in and out and bait things. Also bacon being effectively lagless is godlike even if it doesn't do what you want, it will convert in ways you didn't intend a lot of the time. There's nothing to lose by throwing it out and you can b reverse it to gain even trickier movement. He has some terrible options like approaching with fair, but every character has stuff like that. Doing retreating aerials is exponentially safer.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
what percent something breaks crouch isn't relevant, usually when people talk about CC they're talking about ASDI down. Dtilt breaks that at any percent. If you want to talk about what crouching beats, well, almost any move in the game can be CC'd like that, even to mid-high percents.

Also no shielding isn't a huge commitment at all for GnW compared to most characters. Your WD is excellent and you have an extremely quick OoS option, and you have a typical grab speed. That's literally all you need.

My comments on his neutral tho are primarily what you addressed second- he's got a low of low-lag stuff that puts out disjointed hitboxes for a long time, making punishing him for anything super difficult, exaggerated by the existence of quick powerful CC options and a low crouch. He's not fast so you aren't going to be overshooting/crossing-up a lot like a fox/sonic so that you have guaranteed approaches and are even safer on shield, but controlling the space immediately around you so much better can be about as effective. The opponent either has to approach through it and hope for good luck or wait for you to whiff something significant and lose a lot of stage space while you whiff stuff they can't punish

jtm94

Smash Lord
Crouching and asdi down are completely different. I have an extremely hard time with cc against a lot of people because it cuts off all of my approaches. I'm left with an average sized grab and a mediocre run speed to combat this until they can no longer CC my options. Getting them to 50% can feel like a chore and I feel forced to play lamer than I would like because of my opponent holding down. Saying he has extreme options against cc is pretty silly. Also you can asdi UpB oos down at a lot of %s, it must be terrible option now.

UpB oos is amazing and better than it needs to be because frame 1. When it gets moved to something more realistic like frame 3 or later than pressuring his shield "unsafely" will be more viable. Being above the opponent isn't as good when he can't air dodge, slow fall speed, weak air mobility, and a tiny double jump.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I know crouch and ASDI are different. But you were talking about how Dtilt doesn't break CC until 50-60. That's when it breaks crouch. It breaks ASDI at 0. That's way more relevant, because you can't crouch out of a dash or any other occupied action, and usually when you're using dtilt you're not using it on a still opponent that can crouch. Often times you're going to be using dtilt when it's guaranteed to hit a non-crouching opponent, particularly because you were CCing their move and they are in endlag.

I don't know why you think you need to be approaching though, to the point that getting them to 50 would be an issue. This is exactly what I was talking about when it comes to most GnWs- you don't need to get them to 50 to approach, you need to suffocate them and encourage them to approach and then have them lose for doing so, because you have fantastic defensive options: Huge disjoints for walling and arcing projectiles for walling, quick punishes out of your CC, low profile crouch making some approaches useless and giving others more reaction time, an up-b that punishes anything but good spacing on your shield, and lots of lingering hitboxes that just in general encourage people to run into your hitboxes. Saying it's a chore to play lame is an awful excuse really, if you aren't playing to win then you don't really have an argument as to the viability of the character.

As for up-b, yes being above the opponent is unsafe, but you shouldn't use it when it WON'T be safe. If you hit, it's safe, even if they ASDI down, because if they miss the tech you get a ground bounce and can probably land before they can get up and act, and if they tech in place by some miracle, you still have plenty of time to get to a platform. Having a tiny jump is actually a good thing, not a bad thing. The purpose of double jumping above people is just to shift your position enough such that you move out of their hitbox range and force them to whiff. The shorter your double jump+faster your fall speed, the quicker you can begin your descent after your double jump, giving them less time to recover from the whiff. This is part of why floaties can be juggled well, generally speaking, because you cover their raw fall and their double jump gives you enough reaction time to cover their next option. Not being able to airdodge is bad yeah. But when your option is frame 2 OoS (including jumpsquat) it hardly matters because you should be hitting them OoS almost every time.

Last edited:

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
Also no shielding isn't a huge commitment at all for GnW compared to most characters. Your WD is excellent and you have an extremely quick OoS option, and you have a typical grab speed. That's literally all you need.
...up-b that punishes anything but good spacing on your shield...

...As for up-b, yes being above the opponent is unsafe, but you shouldn't use it when it WON'T be safe. If you hit, it's safe...

...But when your option is frame 2 OoS (including jumpsquat) it hardly matters because you should be hitting them OoS almost every time.
So what is G&W supposed to do when his opponent always attacks with good spacing on his shield? Shouldn't this be what is assumed to happen every single time if his opponent is any good? Assuming that it's possible for every character in the game to get good enough spacing to avoid his one fast option (that is also negatively disjointed), doesn't this always put him at risk of making a huge commitment whenever he's in shield? Is the argument of "you should be getting good spacing almost every time" as valid as the argument of "you should be hitting them OoS almost every time"? Are any of G&W's other shield options able to effectively punish good spacing from his opponent? Furthermore, is any character in the game able to punish good spacing from their opponent while they're in shield?

Up-B OoS is not the answer to every situation for G&W when he's in shield. It is realistically possible for his opponent to consistently avoid the situations where the option would be appropriate by having good spacing, which really should not be too much to ask when considering that Up-B's hitbox is already very small and does not cover his entire body or his shield. If his shield were to become smaller than Up-B's hitbox due to overuse then he will surely be shieldstabbed as a result of his infamously horrible blocking stance.

When Up-B OoS is not the right option the rest of his offensive shield options are actually pretty lackluster outside of shieldgrab, which already isn't particularly amazing and can also be countered by good spacing. His next fastest option is jump > Up-Air OoS, which is frame 7 and doesn't cover anything that Up-B couldn't already, and past that his next fastest offensive options all fill spaces that Up-B already does and they also take 12 frames or slower to actually come out.

This leaves WD OoS and spotdodge as potential options. While his WD is respectable, it can also be punished by having good spacing even if he doesn't get hit for trying it since he has to give up space to do it. As such, when the opponent has good spacing (which should be all of the time) G&W actually does need to commit pretty hard to shielding.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So what is G&W supposed to do when his opponent always attacks with good spacing on his shield? Shouldn't this be what is assumed to happen every single time if his opponent is any good?
Umm no this doesn't happen unless you aren't using your available options to force mispacing. There's no such thing as someone who spaces perfectly on shield all the time. Shield DI is the most direct example of a tool to throw it off, but you don't even really need that. Reaction time is an inherent limit to how well someone can space- If they throw out an aerial expecting you to be shielding in a certain location, you just get closer before the aerial happens and shield. Or you could just be farther away at that time and punish a whiff instead of shielding. Spacing perfectly every time requires reads, but then you can just read them back.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Our fastest option oos that isn't UpB would be uair then wd oos jab and that isn't really something to write home about.

You can escape safely with UpB. I've done it numerous times. Even if an opponent ASDIs UpB down and doesn't tech you really can't punish that as long as they act immediately so you just reset to neutral and are above them temporarily disadvantaged. Smaller double jumps and slower fall speeds make it harder to punish larger aerials below us. We also don't have much to turn the situation in our favor when coming down. If dair was an easier to land/faster meteor than I may think about it differently.

You're talking about countering reads with reads? Reads in general are bad, it's better to just play reactionary. When this happens the character with the longer option tree can win the interaction and should every time assuming on-point play. This is turning into a bunch of situationally good stuff. "This is good if they space poorly" "This works as long as they aren't actually CCing" "This only doesn't work because you aren't forcing them to mispace" I can say that if they are going to aerial and I WD at them, they can just fade back and avoid me altogether, but that type of circular argument will not get us anywhere. I know UpB is good against sloppy spacing on shield, that's something we've known for a while. I can also say GnW's neutral game is currently underdeveloped even by the best GnWs and it will only get better in time.

I will try it. I will play lame GnW and make them always mispace on my shield and then when they ASDI my UpB oos down I will punish the roll with a dair meteor read and KO them. I will never approach because I do not have to and I will only throw bacon in neutral and attempt to stuff aerial approaches with moves that are slower than the aerial they are using until they just run into my moves just like I expect, but if they don't my moves have no lag and I will still get the punish.

Last edited:

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
inb4 the salty nooblords complaining about G&W will revive this topic

Last edited:

Damp

Smash Apprentice
As I've been saying since 3.5, GnW is the best character in this game. His combo followups are automatic, and his throws are dumb. He also has probably the best CC game along with Roy, huge disjoints, and a massive recovery which he can act out of.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood , Do you know why G&W can seemingly CC well past his weight class? For such a light and floaty character, his CC is godlike. What's the cause behind this?

(And no I'm not talking about his options out of CC)

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
@ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood , Do you know why G&W can seemingly CC well past his weight class? For such a light and floaty character, his CC is godlike. What's the cause behind this?

(And no I'm not talking about his options out of CC)
Source for this

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Source for this
For instance;

- ZSS's dtilt breaks G&W's CC at 85%
- ZSS's dtilt breaks ZSS's CC at 87%
- ZSS is 10 whole units heavier than G&W, and also falls much faster.
- But there's only a 2% difference in how well they can CC?

Are the difference in weight units not as significant to CC percentage as I think they are?

Last edited:

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
For instance;

- ZSS's dtilt breaks G&W's CC at 85%
- ZSS's dtilt breaks ZSS's CC at 87%
- ZSS is 10 whole units heavier than G&W, and also falls much faster.
- But there's only a 2% difference in how well they can CC?

Are the difference in weight units not as significant to CC percentage as I think they are?
test more

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Weight differences of like 10 don't have a very big effect on CC ability. It's one of my design issues with smash bros as a whole before smash4, is that weight only had a moderate effect on knockback. For example, the difference between knockback on Jiggs and bowser is a 1.25 and a ~0.9 (respectively) multiplier for KBG only.
Also don't test with crouch, crouch is rarely what happens when you get "CC'd", usually it's just ASDI down + whatever effect comes of downward DI, you can test that by taunting and holding down
GnW can also use his low crouch to help force sex kicks to hit with their sourspot unless they are delayed, which can make his true CC seem extra good in practice

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
For everything that I tested during my "What % GnW's moves break CC/ASDI" GnW could not CC or ASDI down any harder than Fox could. I thought for sure fall speed may play a factor so I tested both as they both weigh 75 and every single move lined up to the %.

LAWL at best character in the game. This isn't the thread for these shenanigans.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Weight differences of like 10 don't have a very big effect on CC ability. It's one of my design issues with smash bros as a whole before smash4, is that weight only had a moderate effect on knockback. For example, the difference between knockback on Jiggs and bowser is a 1.25 and a ~0.9 (respectively) multiplier for KBG only.
Also don't test with crouch, crouch is rarely what happens when you get "CC'd", usually it's just ASDI down + whatever effect comes of downward DI, typing can test that by taunting and holding down
GnW can also use his low crouch to help force sex kicks to hit with their sourspot unless they are delayed, which can make his true CC seem extra good in practice
I figured. And the low crouch thing is a good point I've never thought about.

For everything that I tested during my "What % GnW's moves break CC/ASDI" GnW could not CC or ASDI down any harder than Fox could. I thought for sure fall speed may play a factor so I tested both as they both weigh 75 and every single move lined up to the %.
I thought fall speed was a small factor as well.

LAWL at best character in the game. This isn't the thread for these shenanigans.
Chill bruh, literally no one is saying that lol.

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
I thought fall speed was a small factor as well.
Fallspeed does have an effect. Fox can ASDI down longer than Samus on a lot of moves (lol) but at the same time, ASDI affects him less on certain things making it take longer for him to be able to ASDI up on jab resets and stuff. ASDI down has a lot to do with distance moved on the first frame rather than the kb itself, it would seem, which makes fall speed a significant factor.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
fall speed isn't a factor for CC/ASDI down

tested your claim of fox ASDIing things into the ground longer than samus, just to be sure; it's not true. Samus can ASDI fox's jab1 into the ground until 267. Fox can only do it until 235.

Last edited:

Magus420

Smash Master
Fall acceleration is a factor for staying on the ground, but the tumble threshold of 80 KB moves you 2.4 units per frame (80 * 0.03) and ASDI moves you 3, so assuming a 1x SDI mult hitbox you'll always be able to hit the floor with ASDI down until after the point it knocks down anyway regardless of angle or fall speed.

On SDI mults down around the 0.70x-0.75x area and below where it's possible for gravity + ASDI down to move them less downward than a nontumble KB is sending them upward someone like Fox starts to CC those hits longer than heavier floaties. It's why messing with the SDI mult for the purpose of breaking CC earlier than normal instead of adjusting the KB is a bad idea, since Fox's extreme outlier acceleration gives him a large boost when that becomes relevant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom