• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About the voice acting...

C3CC

Smash Lord
Voice acting is one of the things I pay the most attention to when it comes to games. I LOVED seeing Fox, Zelda and Pit speak full sentences in World of Light's trailer, and I was overjoyed to see Marth FINALLY speaking English like he should.

I haven't seen any gameplay videos (and I won't) because I want the game to surprise me and discover little details when I play it myself. I sincerely hope they got Charles Martinet to record new voice lines for Mario because I hate his work from Brawl, which was reused in Smash 4. I do know that Ike got a new voice actor, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ness got new lines, since she's voiced by Kirby's voice actress, and Kirby needs to get new lines every game so they match his new transformations.

So, what do we know about the voice acting in this game? Who got their voice lines reused? Who's using previously unused lines? Who got new lines?

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
from what i've seen almost all of it looks to be reused from 4. the major differences i see are with marth (now speaks in english) and i believe ike, who has a new voice for a certain costume.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
In addition to Marth speaking English, Roy also appears to speak English as well

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Roy speaks English now too, it seems the Star Fox crew have been redone, and Shiek apparently has new lines (sound more feminine to me, but the wiki says they're more masculine).

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
from what i've seen almost all of it looks to be reused from 4. the major differences i see are with marth (now speaks in english) and i believe ike, who has a new voice for a certain costume.
Ike received a new voice actor (Greg Chun) for both costumes. He just has different voice clips when using either appearance.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Sakurai's (and to extent the Sound Team's) decision regarding character voices and what not makes me very confused. In addition to what everyone else here has said,
  1. Pichu has new voice clips
  2. Young Link uses Melee voice clips, with a few new ones.
  3. Duck Hunt has dog-like noises now
  4. Kirby uses Sm4sh clips, but has a new KO Scream.
  5. Pit uses Sm4sh clips, with new ones to accompany his new Final Smash and Star KO yell.
I really, really wish we could get everyone's official VA on board and new clips per game but judging from what Sakurai expressed on voices in that one book, I don't see it happening unless the character gets a major change in their moveset or is a Starfox character.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
I hope they redid as many voice lines as possible. Hearing the same quips/grunts/yells/etc. for the last 10 years for the majority of characters from Brawl has grown stale to the point of annoyance.

If they really redid the voices for all three spacies I might have to pick up Fox. I loathed that annoying "FIYER" line from his up-B in Smash 4.

Speaking of voices, and I know this will never happen, it would've been cool as hell to have a feature that would let us select which version of voice we could set for each character. I'd kill to hear Falco's Melee voice again. "miSHUN comPLETE!"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultike::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmarth::ultpichu::ultpit::ultroy::ultchrom::ultsnake::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultzelda: all have new lines and/or new voice clips, and :ultrobin::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit: should be able to say new things, but the rest of the vets...especially the Mario characters...maybe not
I hope they redid as many voice lines as possible. Hearing the same quips/grunts/yells/etc. for the last 10 years for the majority of characters from Brawl has grown stale to the point of annoyance.

If they really redid the voices for all three spacies I might have to pick up Fox. I loathed that annoying "FIYER" line from his up-B in Smash 4.

Speaking of voices, and I know this will never happen, it would've been cool as hell to have a feature that would let us select which version of voice we could set for each character. I'd kill to hear Falco's Melee voice again. "miSHUN comPLETE!"
Fox’s voice in Smash 4 sucked in general...and was a pain to listen to

D

Deleted member

Martha and Zelda looked so cute in the trailer. For sure the best ship in Smash dont @ me.

Also, have yall heard Roy's voice in some of the game footages? He actually sounds like a man now lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Hearing Fox's new voice lines, especially his Final Smash ("It's go time boys!") makes me happy.

Falco and Wolf's new lines are also excellent, with one of Wolf's victory screens being "You're good, but I'm better." in that smooth Starlink voice.

Duck Hunt's voice lines are amazing! His dog noises and the duck quacking are some of the better voice changes.

Zelda, Marth, and Roy all sound excellent now as well.

Arthur97

Smash Master
What's wrong with Laura Bailey? I personally like her Lucina portrayal more than Alexis Tipton's. Btw, super stoked Ray Chase is voicing Roy.
It's not so much the voice (though I do prefer Tipton), it's what is being said. A new VA gives them the perfect opportunity to fix that. It also seems odd, when has a character ever changed voices and not had them redone for Smash? Except Dedede since Sakurai does him in Smash and only Smash.

I'm just glad I can understand them finally.

Also interesting to hear Zelda did get new work. Guessing the new (or old?) VA did Shiek too?

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Also interesting to hear Zelda did get new work. Guessing the new (or old?) VA did Shiek too?
Not known at the moment, so I guess we have to wait until the game comes out or for the actor themselves to confirm the role.

Real question is why Zelda doesn't have any speaking lines (ala Meta Knight) since she spoke in the World of Light trailer.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Not known at the moment, so I guess we have to wait until the game comes out or for the actor themselves to confirm the role.

Real question is why Zelda doesn't have any speaking lines (ala Meta Knight) since she spoke in the World of Light trailer.
Does seem odd to get her an English VA for one line. One that doesn't speak in a bad English accent.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
It's not so much the voice (though I do prefer Tipton), it's what is being said. A new VA gives them the perfect opportunity to fix that. It also seems odd, when has a character ever changed voices and not had them redone for Smash? Except Dedede since Sakurai does him in Smash and only Smash.

I'm just glad I can understand them finally.

I mean, Marth got his english voice actor as early as 2015, yet he didn't get it for Smash until 3 years later(too late to implement them in).

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
VA is amazing in this game. Anime boys now speak english, Zelda actually has dialogue, and fox doesn't sound like an old man.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I love this sort of thing, so after like a day of researching, here's what I've found on all of the fighter voices heard in Ultimate. I've split them up into four categories: Completely new voices, returning voices with new clips, fighters with recycled clips from previous games, and the new fighters. I'm pretty sure I was able to cover mostly everyone, but feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong. :)

Completely new voices:

:ultlink: - Kengo Takanashi; to obviously fit BoTW Link.
:ultsheik: - Unknown new voice actress, but it's definitely a new voice compared to Jun Mizusawa
:ultzelda: - Unknown new voice actress, thanks to the World of Light trailer, we know that she has an actual English-speaking voice.
:ultmarth: - Yuri Lowethal finally brings his Marth voice to Smash; making this the first time Marth has spoken English in the series. Although I do like his take on Marth, I will forever favour Hikaru Midorikawa as the Hero King.
:ultroy: - Ray Chase; this is probably my favourite voice change out of all of them thus far. I've always really liked Jun fukuyama's voice for Roy, and Ray is just killing it with his spot on grunts and shouts; his normal voice is a little on the mature-sounding side, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
:ultike: - Greg Chun; I'm going to really miss Jason Adkin's dorky one-liners for Ike, but from what I've heard so far, Greg's Ike is still pretty dang good. (Even if there isn't much of a difference between his PoR and RD Ike. XD )
:ivysaur: - Justin Anselmi; Was surprised to see that Ivysaur got a new voice. He sounds pretty dang close to Craig Blair's Brawl Ivysaur.
:ultwolf: - Ja Green; I freaking love wolf's new voice--it fits him so well. Although I did also like Jay ward's Wolf from Brawl.
:ultmiifighters: - Since they were silent in 4, their voices in ultimate are obviously new. Voice actors are currently unknown, to my knowledge.
:ultduckhunt: - Although some audio clips of the Duck Hunt Dog are still from Smash 4, he now has brand new barking clips, so I'd consider it new enough.

Same voice actor from a previous smash game, but has new audio:

:ultkirby: -Makiko Ōmoto; From what I can hear, his normal attacks use Smash 4 audio, but Kirby obviously will have new audio due to new transformations.
:ultfox: -Mike West; He did a MUCH better job this time around. His ADR director for 4 must have been having a rough day or something. XD
:ultpichu: - Satomi Korogi; sounds to me like a mix of old Melee clips and either previously unused Melee clips, or brand new clips.
:ultfalco: - Mark Lund; I thought he was pretty good in Smash 4, so I'm happy he's back.
:ultyounglink: - Fujiko Takimoto; I feel like this situation is similar to Pichu. A mix of Melee clips along with either new audio, or unused audio from Melee.
:ultganondorf: - Takashi Nagasako; fittingly reprising his role from Melee. He sounds much deeper and more sinister this time around, but that could just be due to the actor himself aging. Love his Ganondorf. (Although I'll always have a sweet spot for cranky Grandpadorf.)
:ultpit:- Antony Del Rio; Has a lot of the same clips taken from 4, but has a couple new ones plus actual dialogue in World of Light.
:ultpokemontrainer: - Michele Knotz; This one I'm kind of iffy on. I haven't seen much footage of PT's voice in action, but the one clip I did hear didn't sound like it came from Brawl. I also have no idea who voices female PT, so I guess she would fall under new voices. XD
:squirtle: - Michele Knotz; According to the wiki, it says that Knotz's clips used in Ultimate are not ripped from Brawl. This could totally be incorrect though.
:ultgreninja: - Billy Bob Thompson; after listening to his voice clips in Ultimate, and comparing them to 4 I actually think Thompson recorded new grunts for Ultimate. I'm still hearing some 4 clips mixed in though.

Completely recycled audio:

:ultmario: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultdk: - Reused animal noises from Brawl/4
:ultsamus: - Reused sounds from Brawl/4
:ultyoshi: - Kazumi Totaka; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultpikachu: - Ikue Otani; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultluigi: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Brawl/4 (Although I think there may have been new audio for him in Simon's trailer, but I don't know for sure.)
:ultness: - Makiko Ōmoto; recycled from Smash 4
:ultfalcon: - Ryō Horikawa; recycled from Melee/Brawl/4
:ultjigglypuff: - Rachel Lillis; recycled from Melee/Brawl/4
:ultpeach: - Samantha Kelly; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultbowser: - Reused monster sounds from Brawl/4 (really wish they would use Kenny James in Smash, but Sakurai likes his weird creature voices. XD)
:ulticeclimbers: - Sanae Kobayashi; recycled from Melee/Brawl
:ultdoc: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Mario Brawl/4 clips
:ultlucina: - Laura Bailey; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultmewtwo: - Keiji Furjiwara; Recycled from Smash 4 (I was actually surprised to find out that Mewtwo's Melee voice is from a different voice actor.)
:ultgnw: - Recycled sounds from Brawl/4 (Not really a voice, but the beeps and boops. XD )
:ultmetaknight: - Eric Newsome; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultdarkpit: - Antony Del Rio As far as I can tell, recycled from Smash 4
:ultzss: - Alésia Glidewell; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultwario: - Charles Martinet; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultsnake: - David Hayter; Recycled from Brawl
:charizard: - Shin'ichirō Miki; Recycled from Smash 4. Funny enough, Miki also voiced Charizard in Brawl, but did completely new clips for 4.
:ultdiddy: - Reused animal sounds from Brawl/4
:ultlucas: - Lani Minella; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultsonic: - Roger Craig Smith; Recycled from Smash 4/Sonic Generations, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. None of Roger's Sonic in Smash is original. XD
:ultkingdedede: - Masahiro Sakurai (This still trips me out. XD ); Recycled from Brawl/4. Although his laughing audio from K.Rool's trailer might be new? Maybe?
:ultolimar: - Hajime Wakai (Pikmin audio); recycled from Brawl/4
:ultlucario: - Sean Schemmel; recycled from Smash 4
:ultrob: - Reused Robot sounds from Brawl/4
:ulttoonlink: - Sachi Matsumoto; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultvillager: - Ummm... I guess silence recycled from Smash 4
:ultmegaman: - Same with Villager. XD
:ultwiifittrainer: - Tania Emery (PAL); Recycled from Smash 4. This is the only voice for WFT that I could find, so I have no idea if the other regions/male voices for WFT are different.
:ultrosalina: - Kerri Kane; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultlittlemac: - Kosuke Toriumi; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultpalutena: - Brandy Kopp; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultpacman: - Sounds reused from Smash 4/Pac Man/different Namco Arcade games
:ultrobin: - David Vincent, Lauren Landa; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultshulk: - Adam Howden; Recycled from Smash 4, but he might have new audio in World of Light
:ultbowserjr: - Caety Sagoian, Lani Minella (Larry, Morton, Wendy, and Lemmy), Mike Vaughn (Iggy and Ludwig) and Dan Falcone (Roy); Recycled from Smash 4/ Mario Spin-off titles
:ultryu: - Kyle Hebert; Recycled from Smash 4 (Give him his orange alt. and boom, you've got adult Gohan. Close enough, eh? XD)
:ultcloud: - Takahiro Sakurai (Or as I like to call him, Kishibe Rohan); Recycled from Smash 4
:ultcorrin: - Cam Clarke, Marcella Lentz-Pope; Recycled from Smash 4 (I find it funny that both Cam Clarke and David Hayter are voicing in the same game once again, but Clarke isn't playing Liquid Snake.)
:ultbayonetta: - Hellena Taylor; Recycled from Smash 4

New Fighters

:ultinkling: - Yuki Tsujii; Recycled from Splatoon
:ultdaisy: - Deanna Mustard; Recycled from Mario spin-off titles
:ultridley: - New spooky monster sounds
:ultsimon: - Unknown new voice actor
:ultrichter: - David Vincent; Huh, this guy voices male Robin as well, and he's the narrator for the English dub of Jojo--as if Richter needed any more jojo vibes going for him. XD New audio
:ultchrom: - Matthew Mercer; (Oh wow, so apparently Jojo's narrator and Jotaro Kujo are best buddies in Fire Emblem. XD) New audio
:ultdarksamus: - Absolute silence
:ultkrool: - Chunky Crocodile sounds
:ultisabelle: - I think her normal voice is generated, but in the actual game, I think she pulls a Villager and stays silent.
:ultken: - Reuben Langdon; New audio
:ultincineroar: - Although I couldn't find his English voice actor, I do know that Japanese Incineroar is voiced by the late Unshō Ishizuka. I loved this man's work. Kizaru in One Piece, Mr. Satan in Dragonball and of course, old Joseph Joestar from Jojo. Man, Ultimate is just turning out to be one big Jojo reference, isn't it? Rest in peace.

So yeah, as seen above, over half the cast uses recycled voice clips. But honestly, I don't really mind it at all. Although some characters could certainly use a new recording, most of them are just fine the way they are, IMO and the time and resources spent on re-doing all of these voices could be put towards other more important things.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
The Fox VA has been the one from Star Fox 64, and came back for Zero. It's nice to see him embracing his former role.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's a shame that Nintendo isn't willing to pay Takashi Nagasako to do Donkey Kong's voice for Smash Ultimate. We're well past the days of Brawl's more realistic vibe.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I love this sort of thing, so after like a day of researching, here's what I've found on all of the fighter voices heard in Ultimate. I've split them up into four categories: Completely new voices, returning voices with new clips, fighters with recycled clips from previous games, and the new fighters. I'm pretty sure I was able to cover mostly everyone, but feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong. :)

Completely new voices:

:ultlink: - Kengo Takanashi; to obviously fit BoTW Link.
:ultsheik: - Unknown new voice actress, but it's definitely a new voice compared to Jun Mizusawa
:ultzelda: - Unknown new voice actress, thanks to the World of Light trailer, we know that she has an actual English-speaking voice.
:ultmarth: - Yuri Lowethal finally brings his Marth voice to Smash; making this the first time Marth has spoken English in the series. Although I do like his take on Marth, I will forever favour Hikaru Midorikawa as the Hero King.
:ultroy: - Ray Chase; this is probably my favourite voice change out of all of them thus far. I've always really liked Jun fukuyama's voice for Roy, and Ray is just killing it with his spot on grunts and shouts; his normal voice is a little on the mature-sounding side, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
:ultike: - Greg Chun; I'm going to really miss Jason Adkin's dorky one-liners for Ike, but from what I've heard so far, Greg's Ike is still pretty dang good. (Even if there isn't much of a difference between his PoR and RD Ike. XD )
:ivysaur: - Justin Anselmi; Was surprised to see that Ivysaur got a new voice. He sounds pretty dang close to Craig Blair's Brawl Ivysaur.
:ultwolf: - Ja Green; I freaking love wolf's new voice--it fits him so well. Although I did also like Jay ward's Wolf from Brawl.
:ultmiifighters: - Since they were silent in 4, their voices in ultimate are obviously new. Voice actors are currently unknown, to my knowledge.
:ultduckhunt: - Although some audio clips of the Duck Hunt Dog are still from Smash 4, he now has brand new barking clips, so I'd consider it new enough.

Same voice actor from a previous smash game, but has new audio:

:ultkirby: -Makiko Ōmoto; From what I can hear, his normal attacks use Smash 4 audio, but Kirby obviously will have new audio due to new transformations.
:ultfox: -Mike West; He did a MUCH better job this time around. His ADR director for 4 must have been having a rough day or something. XD
:ultpichu: - Satomi Korogi; sounds to me like a mix of old Melee clips and either previously unused Melee clips, or brand new clips.
:ultfalco: - Mark Lund; I thought he was pretty good in Smash 4, so I'm happy he's back.
:ultyounglink: - Fujiko Takimoto; I feel like this situation is similar to Pichu. A mix of Melee clips along with either new audio, or unused audio from Melee.
:ultganondorf: - Takashi Nagasako; fittingly reprising his role from Melee. He sounds much deeper and more sinister this time around, but that could just be due to the actor himself aging. Love his Ganondorf. (Although I'll always have a sweet spot for cranky Grandpadorf.)
:ultpit:- Antony Del Rio; Has a lot of the same clips taken from 4, but has a couple new ones plus actual dialogue in World of Light.
:ultsnake: - David Hayer; Although all of his battle sounds come straight from Brawl, Hayter confirmed that he did new voice work for Snake in ultimate.
:ultpokemontrainer: - Michele Knotz; This one I'm kind of iffy on. I haven't seen much footage of PT's voice in action, but the one clip I did hear didn't sound like it came from Brawl. I also have no idea who voices female PT, so I guess she would fall under new voices. XD
:squirtle: - Michele Knotz; According to the wiki, it says that Knotz's clips used in Ultimate are not ripped from Brawl. This could totally be incorrect though.
:ultgreninja: - Billy Bob Thompson; after listening to his voice clips in Ultimate, and comparing them to 4 I actually think Thompson recorded new grunts for Ultimate. I'm still hearing some 4 clips mixed in though.

Completely recycled audio:

:ultmario: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultdk: - Reused animal noises from Brawl/4
:ultsamus: - Reused sounds from Brawl/4
:ultyoshi: - Kazumi Totaka; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultpikachu: - Ikue Otani; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultluigi: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Brawl/4 (Although I think there may have been new audio for him in Simon's trailer, but I don't know for sure.)
:ultness: - Makiko Ōmoto; recycled from Smash 4
:ultfalcon: - Ryō Horikawa; recycled from Melee/Brawl/4
:ultjigglypuff: - Rachel Lillis; recycled from Melee/Brawl/4
:ultpeach: - Samantha Kelly; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultbowser: - Reused monster sounds from Brawl/4 (really wish they would use Kenny James in Smash, but Sakurai likes his weird creature voices. XD)
:ulticeclimbers: - Sanae Kobayashi; recycled from Melee/Brawl
:ultdoc: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Mario Brawl/4 clips
:ultlucina: - Laura Bailey; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultmewtwo: - Keiji Furjiwara; Recycled from Smash 4 (I was actually surprised to find out that Mewtwo's Melee voice is from a different voice actor.)
:ultgnw: - Recycled sounds from Brawl/4 (Not really a voice, but the beeps and boops. XD )
:ultmetaknight: - Eric Newsome; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultdarkpit: - Antony Del Rio As far as I can tell, recycled from Smash 4
:ultzss: - Alésia Glidewell; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultwario: - Charles Martinet; Recycled from Brawl/4
:charizard: - Shin'ichirō Miki; Recycled from Smash 4. Funny enough, Miki also voiced Charizard in Brawl, but did completely new clips for 4.
:ultdiddy: - Reused animal sounds from Brawl/4
:ultlucas: - Lani Minella; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultsonic: - Roger Craig Smith; Recycled from Smash 4/Sonic Generations, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. None of Roger's Sonic in Smash is original. XD
:ultkingdedede: - Masahiro Sakurai (This still trips me out. XD ); Recycled from Brawl/4. Although his laughing audio from K.Rool's trailer might be new? Maybe?
:ultolimar: - Hajime Wakai (Pikmin audio); recycled from Brawl/4
:ultlucario: - Sean Schemmel; recycled from Smash 4
:ultrob: - Reused Robot sounds from Brawl/4
:ulttoonlink: - Sachi Matsumoto; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultvillager: - Ummm... I guess silence recycled from Smash 4
:ultmegaman: - Same with Villager. XD
:ultwiifittrainer: - Tania Emery (PAL); Recycled from Smash 4. This is the only voice for WFT that I could find, so I have no idea if the other regions/male voices for WFT are different.
:ultrosalina: - Kerri Kane; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultlittlemac: - Kosuke Toriumi; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultpalutena: - Brandy Kopp; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultpacman: - Sounds reused from Smash 4/Pac Man/different Namco Arcade games
:ultrobin: - David Vincent, Lauren Landa; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultshulk: - Adam Howden; Recycled from Smash 4, but he might have new audio in World of Light
:ultbowserjr: - Caety Sagoian, Lani Minella (Larry, Morton, Wendy, and Lemmy), Mike Vaughn (Iggy and Ludwig) and Dan Falcone (Roy); Recycled from Smash 4/ Mario Spin-off titles
:ultryu: - Kyle Hebert; Recycled from Smash 4 (Give him his orange alt. and boom, you've got adult Gohan. Close enough, eh? XD)
:ultcloud: - Takahiro Sakurai (Or as I like to call him, Kishibe Rohan); Recycled from Smash 4
:ultcorrin: - Cam Clarke, Marcella Lentz-Pope; Recycled from Smash 4 (I find it funny that both Cam Clarke and David Hayter are voicing in the same game once again, but Clarke isn't playing Liquid Snake.)
:ultbayonetta: - Hellena Taylor; Recycled from Smash 4

New Fighters

:ultinkling: - Yuki Tsujii; Recycled from Splatoon
:ultdaisy: - Deanna Mustard; Recycled from Mario spin-off titles
:ultridley: - New spooky monster sounds
:ultsimon: - Unknown new voice actor
:ultrichter: - David Vincent; Huh, this guy voices male Robin as well, and he's the narrator for the English dub of Jojo--as if Richter needed any more jojo vibes going for him. XD New audio
:ultchrom: - Matthew Mercer; (Oh wow, so apparently Jojo's narrator and Jotaro Kujo are best buddies in Fire Emblem. XD) New audio
:ultdarksamus: - Absolute silence
:ultkrool: - Chunky Crocodile sounds
:ultisabelle: - I think her normal voice is generated, but in the actual game, I think she pulls a Villager and stays silent.
:ultken: - Reuben Langdon; New audio
:ultincineroar: - Although I couldn't find his English voice actor, I do know that Japanese Incineroar is voiced by the late Unshō Ishizuka. I loved this man's work. Kizaru in One Piece, Mr. Satan in Dragonball and of course, old Joseph Joestar from Jojo. Man, Ultimate is just turning out to be one big Jojo reference, isn't it? Rest in peace.

So yeah, as seen above, over half the cast uses recycled voice clips. But honestly, I don't really mind it at all. Although some characters could certainly use a new recording, most of them are just fine the way they are, IMO and the time and resources spent on re-doing all of these voices could be put towards other more important things.
Didn't Hayter just say it was him not that he did new stuff?

Is there any confirmation that Zelda's English VA did any of Zelda's actual in game audio?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I really wish Square-Enix would just lax up on the North American side of things when it comes to voice acting, even let Steve Burton go under an alias. I believe his contract doesn’t allow him to do that though.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Didn't Hayter just say it was him not that he did new stuff?

Is there any confirmation that Zelda's English VA did any of Zelda's actual in game audio?
Upon double checking, you're right. He did just say it was him, and didn't say anything about recording new lines. Plus him not doing any new codecs also supports Snake only being recycled audio. I will edit my post. Thanks for pointing that out!

As for Zelda, I couldn't find any footage of her in the Japanese version of the game to compare voices, but if I were to guess, I would say that the English Zelda that was heard in World of Light would also record her battle sounds in the English version of Ultimate as well.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Upon double checking, you're right. He did just say it was him, and didn't say anything about recording new lines. Plus him not doing any new codecs also supports Snake only being recycled audio. I will edit my post. Thanks for pointing that out!

As for Zelda, I couldn't find any footage of her in the Japanese version of the game to compare voices, but if I were to guess, I would say that the English Zelda that was heard in World of Light would also record her battle sounds in the English version of Ultimate as well.
Then it may stand to reason the new Shiek is Zelda's new VA as they are historically done by the same actress.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm happy Zelda's new VA sounds like an actual 17 year old American girl instead of a Japanese 10 year old.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Couldn't we have had Greg Chun for the Path of Radiance/Brawl Ike and Jason Adkin for Radiant Dawn/SSB4 Ike?

I wish we could have Steve Burton Cloud, but union situations don't allow it. Nintendo could have found a soundalike. However, maybe SE would have overruled the selection of a substitute.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Adam Howden; Recycled from Smash 4, but he might have new audio in World of Light
Need to point this out, but in gameplay, Shulk will occasionally shout "Fiora" when activating his Final Smash.

Which gives me hope that he will indeed get a speaking role in World of Light despite his silence in the beginning.

Of course it's possible his Fiora line was simply unused or pulled from another source.

D

Deleted member

Need to point this out, but in gameplay, Shulk will occasionally shout "Fiora" when activating his Final Smash.

Which gives me hope that he will indeed get a speaking role in World of Light despite his silence in the beginning.

Of course it's possible his Fiora line was simply unused or pulled from another source.
It seems new, but he says “Fiora” so many times throughout Xenoblade that I’m not sure.

Top Bottom