• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About the fire spike...

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'm sure we all know that Toon Link's D-Air has a little fire hitbox in the hilt that sends the enemy straight down. My question is if anyone has figured out some good combos leading into it, on-stage OR off. Nothing makes you feel cooler than when you land the spike offstage, but the long animation of the move makes it VERY risky to try to pull off. Any tips on how to land it off-stage, NOT out of a combo, but when the enemy is trying to recover?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Best tip is, unless you're feeling godlike, don't try it offstage by itself. Combos only. It's not very hard to beat out, and should your opponent hit you while you try to fire spike them you might screw yourself.

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
I know this is an older thread BUT, my thoughts on the fire spike are mostly negative. I LOVE the d-tilt spike! On a selection of characters I can hit it consistently enough that is a good spike off stage, and a good set up for up-B on stage. The fire spike from the d--air however (in my experience) has saved my opponents for more commonly than it has killed them. With the force of the spike launching them downwards, rather than killing upwards w/o the spike, it's commonly saved them from dying to 100%+ d-airs, by putting them down rather than up.

Any thoughts?

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
I know this is an older thread BUT, my thoughts on the fire spike are mostly negative. I LOVE the d-tilt spike! On a selection of characters I can hit it consistently enough that is a good spike off stage, and a good set up for up-B on stage. The fire spike from the d--air however (in my experience) has saved my opponents for more commonly than it has killed them. With the force of the spike launching them downwards, rather than killing upwards w/o the spike, it's commonly saved them from dying to 100%+ d-airs, by putting them down rather than up.

Any thoughts?

Considering how small a hit box it is and that it's in toon link's mop, i don't think anyone can complain that its hurting their game.
How are you trying to land the move?
If your comboing into it from a back air you might want to think about using an up air or even a spin attack instead of a down air.

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
I've stopped trying to use it as a spike considering both the risk that it has is using ineffectively, and it's effective inconstancy. Most of the time I find other moves to be better at killing in the same situations. The one place I can get the fire spike semi-consistently is after a downthrown on a low %age opponent or fast faller, but usually I'm not going for the spike then, I'd rather knock them up.

I mainly posted here to see if there was a trick, or hints to using it effectively. So far I see it only as a hindrance, when it seems like it can be such a strength if mastered.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Well, unless something has changed since I did this, these should work on heavies:

(Note: the asterisk afer DAir means I'm talking about DAir Sweetspot)

Utilt > DAir* - The move is fast enough that at mid % it could work.

Usmash > DAir* - It works a little earlier than utilt, but is a slightly longer move, thus, possibly less reliable.

Dthrow > DAir* - You'll have to follow their DI, this one is less safe and not very useful as it only starts working well when a grab could lead into a KO instead.

Honestly, I just love pulling off a DAir*, It would've been cool if it was a true spike, but I guess the high KB and suprie factor does well enough.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
You cannot MC his dair.
Really? Because if it were following YL's design (Which the move originally did) then it would be MC-able. I wanna see the data now, because any move with a 270 degree hit-angle should technically be a meteor, and thus, MC-able.

But hey, I always thought it should've been a spike, so I don't mind.

Last edited:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Really? Because if it were following YL's design (Which the move originally did) then it would be MC-able. I wanna see the data now, because any move with a 270 degree hit-angle should technically be a meteor, and thus, MC-able.

But hey, I always thought it should've been a spike, so I don't mind.
Toon Link's fire sweetspot has an angle of 630, not 270, so it falls well outside of the meteor range.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Toon Link's fire sweetspot has an angle of 630, not 270, so it falls well outside of the meteor range.
Oh yeah, okay. I asked Magus about that some time ago so I know about that over 360 thing. Cool, I never knew.

It makes me wonder then if Zelda's DAir sweetspot may be a spike as well...

Top Bottom