• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About Shield-B moves...

I still don't see the problem here. Remember that due to the nature of button inputs, you can easily just shield button+special button and it works like any old special.

Honestly, I think your gripe here has to do with the word "shield" more than anything, when in reality, you could simply shield-B without the shield ever popping up anyway.
He’s saying that giving characters an offensive option out of shield would further encourage heavily defensive game play, which is something that hasn’t always worked out well.

Why approach when I could just access several strong options out of shield instead of approaching with an aerial, jabs, etc.?

That’s like giving everyone Snakes Grenades, except they do no damage to him what so ever.

If you’re trying to find an offensive / defensive balance, then making Shield B moves strong counter offensive measures would skew the game heavily in defense favor.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
He’s saying that giving characters an offensive option out of shield would further encourage heavily defensive game play, which is something that hasn’t always worked out well.

Why approach when I could just access several strong options out of shield instead of approaching with an aerial, jabs, etc.?

That’s like giving everyone Snakes Grenades, except they do no damage to him what so ever.

If you’re trying to find an offensive / defensive balance, then making Shield B moves strong counter offensive measures would skew the game heavily in defense favor.
I know what he was getting at technically, I just wanted to know why he specifically said he didn't want Shield-B moves to be actual attacks, as if Shield-B moves being viable offensive OOS options was predetermined just by the fact they are Shield-B moves.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well then your worries are sort of unfounded, because if you just treat shield-B like any other attack with the usual stuff like startup, endlag, etc., then your problems kinda just go away.

For example, imagine if Link's spin attack on Shield-B had above average startup time. At that point, it isn't a reversal move really, but just another move Link has. Don't treat Shield-B moves like they can only be reversal type moves, because that's kinda boring honestly if literally every character had a reversal move that was treated the exact same mapped to an attack button. The only universal reversal (tongue twisters lol) that really is here is perfect shield, and that isn't an attack anyway.
I know this thread is old and all, but how does the shield parry work as a universal reversal? Given that it's purely a grounded move, it seems rather ineffectual at that.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I honestly would love that, but it would be tricky to implement. I was mostly commenting that if it functioned like 3rd Strike, it would actually be a well rounded defensive tool.
Well, parrying just wouldn't work if it overlaps with running. Unless you want run to be double tap, which would be tedious and even harder on the controller. Disengaging shield was a better option for Smash, IMO.

They could change the neutral air dodge to air shielding, which is something I've thought about, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I know this thread is old, but I'm surprised no one returned to bring up that Steve has a Shield-B.

Given that the systems are already there, I want Shield-Bs to be a universal move category even more now. Though I would still prefer them not to be attacks and just limited to "status" moves.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I know this thread is old, but I'm surprised no one returned to bring up that Steve has a Shield-B.

Given that the systems are already there, I want Shield-Bs to be a universal move category even more now. Though I would still prefer them not to be attacks and just limited to "status" moves.
Oh absolutely. Especially on the attacks part. Like, say, if Chosen Undead was in Smash, he'd have the signature Dark Souls parry as a Shield B. Or if we're sticking with the current roster, make Heartless Angel Sephiroth's ridiculously damaging but slow-as-excrement Shield B.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
:ulthero: Recharges mana at 5 times the normal rate.
:ult_terry: Gains go until sent into tumble or is used. 2 minute cool down.
:ultsephiroth: hurts himself until he gets his wing
:ultpyra: Swap and frees up a special move slot
:ultjoker: Fills up the gauge by dealing damage to himself
:ultbanjokazooie: Fills up one wonder wing slot. Usable 3 times as not to make it op

Top Bottom